• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Far Cry 5 set in Wild West 19th Century [Actually likely modern day Montana]

Will Ubisoft manage to keep any secrets for E3 (or even for their pre-E3 unveils)?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JZA

I don't mind having a competitor to RDR in the Western genre, but if it does end up being a sort of modern-day "Western" feeling set on the Mexican border or something, that sounds just as compelling to me if it's influenced by say Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy.

Wait, modern setting....
Im out.

Was in with spaguetti western as some of the OP said (so non realistic style of western more based on the portrayal of movies with ennio morricone type of soundtrack) but modern setting is a complete turn off for me.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Great, I was getting excited there for a FPS spaghetti western Far Cry and knowing that it's something I really want I won't get it :p

The 'modern western' isn't particularly interesting to me either if it turns out to be that, I just want a good old wild west western. Ah well, we shall see.

F4r0_Atak

If it turns true that the next Far Cry is aiming for an "old-spaghetti western" game, could it mean that they are "killing" the Call of Juarez franchise (since it was not a big seller either) ?

AAMARMO

Banned
The Giant Bomb crew received an email about it in December and the game is indeed set in Montana and the main character is a COP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Giant Bomb crew received an email about it in December and the game is indeed set in Montana and the main character is a COP.
In the Eyes of a Ranger, the unsuspecting stranger
Had better know the truth of wrong from right.
'Cause the rule of law and order starts at the Montana border,
With the Big Sky of the Ranger shining bright.

Col.Asher

I assume they just want the "Modern West" feeling, plus the rather striking scenery of Montana.

Scenery:

And then there will just be regular ranchers and people everywhere driving Fords or whatever:

ooh Flathead and yellow tail, some of my favorite places. Though I guess depending on the time period some reservoirs will or won't exist.
Okay, so Meth will be the antagonist.
and insane militia groups.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.

I'll add that to the OP, ok?

This is probably the worst kind of rumor for Ubisoft, because now they'll have a ton of people who want a Wild West game, and are instead going to get something they feel is incredibly boring.
Yeah, if it's modern west I'm out until it's on sale for less than $20.

Tagyhag

Oh yeaaaah I forgot about that email.

While I would like Mando to be back, this whole setting sounds incredibly intriguing and unlike any other video game out there so I say go for it.

I feel like that Rainbow 6 Patriots was supposed to be set in Montana or something like that.

ev0

Hmm I kind of want to listen to that email now. Anybody got a link? Or which exact podcast it was?

You know, all joking aside, if someone else were making this I'll be all in. A small town cop, with a slow mundane start, built into a crazy cartel conspiracy, helping people around town, like Deadly Premonition, could be fantastic. I have no faith in the Far Cry devs or Ubisoft though.

I assume they just want the "Modern West" feeling, plus the rather striking scenery of Montana.

Scenery:

And then there will just be regular ranchers and people everywhere driving Fords or whatever:

I can dig it. Now I want to visit Montana.

Modern or not, I think this will be a great setting. So much potential here!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If present day I hope we are fighting Sovereign Citizens and other crazy white supremacists groups. I mean who else would there be?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EmCee just showed me the Giant Bomb video, so I updated the title to reflect that this is about a modern day cop in Montana chasing down radical groups.

sjay1994

Well best to nip the Wild West rumor now.

Because I thought it would have been crazy for them to consider doing it because RDR practically dominates the mind share of the open world western.

magnetic

I never had high expectations for Far Cry, which is probably the reason I enjoyed 3 and 4 a lot. It's the perfect junk food series for me - capturing outpost with satisfying shooting, blowing up convoys, getting mauled by wildlife and running into random enemy groups is good, mindless fun for me.

I really loved Kyrat in 4, a colorful and relaxing setting. Montana sounds great as well. Didn't buy Primal because I want actual guns.

Top Bottom