• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Far Cry 5 set in Wild West 19th Century [Actually likely modern day Montana]

Will Ubisoft manage to keep any secrets for E3 (or even for their pre-E3 unveils)?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Considering that Primal was the best selling Far Cry game, I think it was a good idea to try a new setting. Western did work very well with RDR and there isn't almost AAA competition with this setting. So I assume a Far Cry somewhere else (as a western) would work very well.

Primal might have had the biggest launch or something, but I'd be surprised if it was the biggest-selling overall. Do you have a link?

kris.

Banned
i'm not a huge fan of this franchise but uhhhh

Batman-Chin-Rub.gif

yes please

Huge Far Cry fan so I'm definitely buying this one (if it isn't co-op focused).
But I can't imagine the faces at Ubisoft when Rockstar announced RDR2 for this holiday. That sales will be impacted a lot if RDR2 really comes out on time.

That said, Far Cry in a western setting sounds good, but that franchise can be put in almost any time period and still be fun.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This actually being about going around modern day Montana fighting separatists and militias sounds way more boring and thus way more plausible for an Ubisoft game setting.

SugarDave

Westerns are among my favourite genre so this would peak my interest despite purposefully avoiding Far Cry for the last couple of iterations. Hopefully it impresses at E3.

XandBosch

This seems like a cheap attempt at some of RDR2's appeal, and knowing Ubi - it won't be nearly as good.

Just seems like a big "....why tho" to me.

Piggus

I like the idea of an Old West Far Cry game. First-person saloon brawls? Yes please. As long as they have some neat towns with accessible buildings, I think it could be really cool.

Seijuro

Been itching for a new Far Cry lately, but wanted a more modern setting than Primal. This should scratch that itch just fine. More excited for this than RDR2 actually.

September also isn't a long wait away.

To me this is dissapointing, a desert region doesnt sound much fun in a far cry game and this seems like a desperate attempt to ride the coatails of rdr 2, ill pass until we get our far cry dino game

RedSwirl

Exactly. Even if I feel MGSV could have executed its own formula far better (more dynamic, emergent encounter variety on the open world), it had numerous moments far more reminiscent of Far Cry 2 than any Far Cry since.

I don't believe Ubisoft will ever go back to that formula, but I just want them to dial back the faux-RPG XP tracking, skill and ability bottlenecking, objective and statistic checklisting, and formulaic game system structure alongside open world design so prevalent in Far Cry 3, 4, and Primal. They're weird in that sense; so formulaic that I just don't feel the experience of play can surprise me, either in discovering something or simply experiencing a unique, emergent sequence. The game systems never really come together in that way for me.

What's interesting is Wildlands kind of tried to go back in the Far Cry 2 direction but with seemingly very simple missions designed around co-op.

I really like the Far Cry series so I am pretty damn interested in seeing more. Primal was a lot more fun than I expected it to be so hopefully this one is good as well.

Lifeline

How about a modern western instead of old west? We already have a RDR coming out, lets see FC do something different.

jschreier

How about a modern western instead of old west? We already have a RDR coming out, lets see FC do something different.
It looks like sites like VG247 are only reporting that this is the old west because of a 2015 Ubisoft survey asking if fans wanted to see a Far Cry game in the old west, which is... bizarre.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It looks like sites like VG247 are only reporting that this is the old west because of a 2015 Ubisoft survey asking if fans wanted to see a Far Cry game in the old west, which is... bizarre.

This is probably the worst kind of rumor for Ubisoft, because now they'll have a ton of people who want a Wild West game, and are instead going to get something they feel is incredibly boring.

This is probably the worst kind of rumor for Ubisoft, because now they'll have a ton of people who want a Wild West game, and are instead going to get something they feel is incredibly boring.
Yeah possibly.
I could imagine the trailer even playing off that idea though, giving an impression of old West with a reveal of some near future tech at the end.

Seijuro

After looking up Montana landscapes I would be fine with a modern take on it. The landscape itself sells the "wild west" feel.

I like vehicles in Far Cry games, so I'd like to see this in the present day. Montana would be a great environment for that. I'd play it either way though.

inner-G

Banned
Sounds sweet, would be cool to play a good Western game on PC and be able to really crank the settings/resolution up

Top Bottom