• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Far Cry 5 set in Wild West 19th Century [Actually likely modern day Montana]

Will Ubisoft manage to keep any secrets for E3 (or even for their pre-E3 unveils)?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jackpot

Banned
Sounds like the entire franchise is not for you, then, lol.

Far Cry 1, 2, 3, and 4 were all set in the present day. I literally can't work out how you can read "period shooter" and apply it to the franchise.

Either way it's all moot now as they're saying it's present day as well.

Lifeline

I'm more into a modern western Far Cry than old west, but that plot doesn't make any sense. Why isn't the US Army taking care of this?

Also, now that i think about it i rather have a futuristic sci-fi space western starring Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk. Written by Joss Whedon.

Ashtar

Bring on the mechanical spiders!

giphy.gif

Although it may not appear so, I make this post completely honestly. I loved Wild Wild West, I don't understand why it gets so much hate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t_UuTCbCZU

Saw this for the first time today, breh really came in on a horse

This would be really dope, I'm telling you wild west with weird inventions, posses, it'd be crazy

Bandit1

Modern day Montana seems a little odd. I was kind of hoping for 1700s/1800s with a Native American protagonist. I guess you could be like a game warden maybe, policing the area. But I'm having a hard time finding the body count there. Maybe some kind of soverign citizen militia group uprising?

Eggbok

giphy.gif

Although it may not appear so, I make this post completely honestly. I loved Wild Wild West, I don't understand why it gets so much hate!

I also love this movie, no shame lol. Would be an awesome boss in Horizon as well. This vs a Thunderjaw would be awesome lol.

Nordmann

Neo Member
To share what I've heard from two separate sources:
The game will indeed be set in Ubisoft's version of Montana, but will NOT be set in the 19th century. However, it will include "Western" aspects, including Mexican standoffs, horseback riding, poker, and bank robberies.

The game will indeed be set in Ubisoft's version of Montana, but will NOT be set in the 19th century. However, it will include "Western" aspects, including Mexican standoffs, horseback riding, poker, and bank robberies.

That's weird. They're trying to have a Wild West game without losing modern things, and I'm not a fan.

"Let me fly my Helicopter to the Mexican Standoff, with my Desert Eagle equipped."

Bandit1

Hmmmm... I'm still not seeing how this fits in the modern day. Would be cool if it was 1920s/1930s since it's apparently not going to be the 1800s.

I am glad it is (supposedly maybe tis a rumor) not set in old times. I need cars mayne

Thank God this isn't a Western.

Modern day take set in Montana works much more for me with RDR2 right around the corner filling the Old West gap

Thank God this isn't a Western.

Modern day take set in Montana works much more for me with RDR2 right around the corner filling the Old West gap
You're aware that westerns can be set in the present or future, right? Movies like No Country for Old Men and Hell or High Water are westerns.

I also love this movie, no shame lol. Would be an awesome boss in Horizon as well. This vs a Thunderjaw would be awesome lol.

That's from Wild Wild West? Never seen it before, I will soon.

This is still a rumor about Far Cry though, right? Hopefully they confirm it soon.

Akainu

same difference.

giphy.gif

Seriously more games/everything need giant mechanical spiders.

The Argus

I'm actually happy to hear this may be modern day Montana. Makes more sense than a Wild West setting for the series. I would love some meth busts and ATV off-roading in the plains vs horses and bison riding. Leave that to the kings and queens over at R*. Besides, RDR2 probably has GTAV's fps mode built-in.

Karak

I guess that sort of solidifies the Longmire rumor we talked about recently.
Interesting to see how they go about all this.

Dead Man

Not seeing how you cram the FC formula insanity into a real named place. The others work for me because they are just fictionalised enough that I can overlook their stupider elements.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't mind someone lighting a fire under R* and not allowing them to hold a monopoly on wild west games.

When do we think this will release? My money's on February or March of 2018.

Assassin's Creed Origin is Fall 2017.

If it is revealed on or before E3 I think will get a release this year. I do not think they would be filming live action now if it was going to be a 2018 release. My money would be on Sep or Oct.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When do we think this will release? My money's on February or March of 2018.

Assassin's Creed Origin is Fall 2017.

Probably later this year if it's announced in the near future. Ubi hasn't shied away from launching AssCreed and Far Cry more or less side-by-side in the past (see: AssCreed 3/Far Cry 3 and AssCreed Unity/Far Cry 4), although I can see one of them being moved out the way a bit if RDR2, by some miracle, actually is slated for release in Q4.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Modern day ?

Urgh. My hype has gone way down

Thought it would be some cool red dead first person type shit as a little taster before RDR2

legacyzero

Banned
So NOT western? Thank goodness. I've been very critical of Ubisoft in he last 5 or so years, but I'm hoping Ubi listened to community feedback in their recent selective community gathering they had in October last year surrounding Far Cry. it was pretty obvious a new Far Cry game was coming at that point.

I just want:
A competent single player in the vein of Far Cry 3, except don't scare Vaas.
A competent multiplayer component that is married with their amazing Map Editor.
That they take a look at Halo 5 on how to host player created multiplayer maps publicly for sharing.
Lots of modes, including co-operative ones.

jschreier

So in the end it's not the Wild West? lol
Again, there was absolutely no evidence pointing to a Wild West setting. Sites like VG247 saw the original GAF thread (about the filming in Montana) and then for some reason connected that to a 2015 Ubisoft survey asking if players would like to see a Far Cry game set in the Wild West. The filming in Montana is real; the survey is... a survey.

Having lived in Montana my entire life, I can say it seems like a rather dull place to base a large open world game on. I mean there are some great wilderness regions I guess, but this whole "cop going after a rebel group who took over some ranches" seems like it would not work there.

Who knows, sure seems odd haha.

The contemporary rural America setting has much more potential than a 19th century spaghetti western one would for me, I really love the settings of stuff like Hell or High Water, or Badlands, or No Country for Old Men.

Top Bottom