• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Cult |OT| Sarah Paulson Suffers In This One, It Must Be Good

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ivy's motivation for joining Kai's cult is downright stupid.

It was pretty bad. Sure, Ally seems like a fairly obnoxious person and the way she treated Ivy when the baby was born was definitely shitty, but you don't terrorize/gaslight/murder someone for doing that. You get therapy or a divorce (she says she was only staying in the marriage for Ozzy's sake, but then she allowed all those terrible things to happen to/in front of him, so...)

Her characterization is confusing as hell. I can't get a grip on the character and I'm not sure if that's by design or not.

A big part of it is also the way that Alison Pill is playing her - she isn't convincing in the least (I also think Leslie Grossman, Billy Eichner, and Colton Haynes were miscast). Maybe it would have been better with Alison Pill as Ally and Sarah Paulson as Ivy?

It was pretty bad. Sure, Ally seems like a fairly obnoxious person and the way she treated Ivy when the baby was born was definitely shitty, but you don't terrorize/gaslight/murder someone for doing that. You get therapy or a divorce (she says she was only staying in the marriage for Ozzy's sake, but then she allowed all those terrible things to happen to/in front of him, so...)

Her characterization is confusing as hell. I can't get a grip on the character and I'm not sure if that's by design or not.

A big part of it is also the way that Alison Pill is playing her - she isn't convincing in the least (I also think Leslie Grossman, Billy Eichner, and Colton Haynes were miscast). Maybe it would have been better with Alison Pill as Ally and Sarah Paulson as Ivy?
All this. Ivy is just a terribly written character. Sometimes she's reveling in the murder. Other times she's crying in a corner. Terrible, even if it's by design.

SeppOCE

I get they were trying to be a little clever with that new episode but I saw the "twist" coming from a mile away. It seems most twists this season are some of the most predictable yet.

CryptiK

I get they were trying to be a little clever with that new episode but I saw the "twist" coming from a mile away. It seems most twists this season are some of the most predictable yet.
This show has been the least clever thing I have seen on TV.

zeemumu

There s good reason to join a cult?

Cults prey on people who have hit rock bottom and have nowhere else to go or don't feel like they belong anywhere (or are apparently just so hyped about politics that cutting off your arms to go vote seems reasonable). We see a lot of that during the backstories of the people recruited into Kai's cult, and what led them to their breaking points.

Ivy is presented as being probably the most sane and well-balanced person in the season, yet she goes from 0 to 60 on the extreme action scale faster than any of the others. They even call it out.

"She wasn't super thrilled you voted for Jill Stein."
"Are you kidding me?! That's not a reason!"

Throw that in with the fact that she was more than willing to mentally scar her kid, ruin her business, and drive her wife to insanity. We saw little to no progression that would make us believe that she would resort to this kind of stuff. Beverly gets fame and revenge and Harrison gets to keep his house and gets out of his weird platonic marriage. Those are the motives presented to us. Neither of them seem to have any actual stake in Kai's vision. Ivy seems to trust Winter but Kai's outlooks seems to directly contrast with both hers and Winter's viewpoints, so it seems even less likely that she'd be cool with that weird "larva bee" seduction thing. Even the weird kidnapping blackmail motive never really seems to stick.

Plus the "No I wanted to have the baby" seems like the most petty thing in the world. All of this because your wife carried your son to term instead of you due to medical issues and you're shitting on her for mental health issues and voting for Jill Stein, so on with the widespread panic, kidnapping, and murder? You're willing to do all of that and ABBY is the entitled one? Ivy somehow topped "light ex husband on fire for custody" with "drive ex wife to insanity, trick her into killing someone, slander own business, frame ex wife with adultery, and mentally scar kid for custody".

I can only assume that AHS takes place in the same universe as Terror Tract and that's why everyone's jumping the gun to crazy town.

Taruranto

I'm honestly enjoying this season, but I do agree Ivy's character is all over the place and Ally is Paulson's worst role (And I consider Paulson a pretty good actress with a lot of versatility, so it's probably the script).

zeemumu

Also that's the worst faking of a suicide I've ever seen. Who the hell would buy that one day after announcing her campaign, she'd go online, say the exact opposite of what she believes, and then commit suicide by shooting herself square in the chest after apparently smashing her own window and breaking in her door from the outside?

Also that's the worst faking of a suicide I've ever seen. Who the hell would buy that one day after announcing her campaign, she'd go online, say the exact opposite of what she believes, and then commit suicide by shooting herself square in the chest after apparently smashing her own window and breaking in her door from the outside?

I hate how this is supposed to be the "grounded" non-supernatural season and yet my suspension of disbelief is getting torn to shreds with every episode.

Linkura

I'm honestly enjoying this season, but I do agree Ivy's character is all over the place and Ally is Paulson's worst role (And I consider Paulson a pretty good actress with a lot of versatility, so it's probably the script).

Worse than Hypodermic Sally? That's quite a feat.

Honestly the writers just don't think of these things, or something.

Entertaining, sure, but it's clear these writers aren't up for writing something tight.

SeppOCE

This show has been the least clever thing I have seen on TV.

I mean there's a lot worse out there and I'm sure a tonne of people watch this and don't expect what's going to happen next. I do agree with you though but I guess this is popular for a reason.

Crayons

Banned
Aren't the cops in on it too

Astral Dog

Im wayching Murder House for the first time,its entertaining just not anything scary besides the intro, like the Psychiatrist protagonist and the Wife. A little tired though i think i will stop at EP8

I hate how this is supposed to be the "grounded" non-supernatural season and yet my suspension of disbelief is getting torn to shreds with every episode.
Almost every season of AHS has this problem. The makers of the show are more interested in style over substance. The actors all will get some pretty good performances on the show but often times don't make sense in the grand scheme of things.

Granted we don't know everything there could be more revealed about Ivy that explains her character better. Granted if I had to deal with Ally day in and day out every day. I'd probably go crazy or already have to be crazy.

NKnight7

Neo Member
I'm enjoying this season more than Roanoke. My appreciation for Cult is rising since it seems like the plot is picking up now and learning more about Kai and how he formed the cult itself was really interesting to watch. Some of the things don't make sense, but I've learned to take it in stride with AHS.

zeemumu

Almost every season of AHS has this problem. The makers of the show are more interested in style over substance. The actors all will get some pretty good performances on the show but often times don't make sense in the grand scheme of things.

Granted we don't know everything there could be more revealed about Ivy that explains her character better. Granted if I had to deal with Ally day in and day out every day. I'd probably go crazy or already have to be crazy.

We see what standard Ally is like in a flashback. When not being deliberately driven to madness, she acts fairly normal, and probably would have calmed down from her post-election anxiety had Ivy not done what she did.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So what was cut out of the episode for broadcast? I think I saw the entire thing.
You don’t see anyone get shot down in the broadcast version. It either skips the part where they get shot or omits them completely (the guy who gets shot while trying to save ivy had his scene cut).

Monocle

"Would my young hot sister make you happy?" This show keeps delivering great lines.

My only major complaint about this episode is that Colton Haynes' gay sex scene (a phrase I will treasure for years to come) was way too tame. If I have to sit through a man getting his head graphically punctured by a nail gun, at least give me a few more seconds of TV's hunkiest evil detective getting it on. Off-screen moaning doesn't count!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
"Would my young hot sister make you happy?" This show keeps delivering great lines.

My only major complaint about this episode is that Colton Haynes' gay sex scene (a phrase I will treasure for years to come) was way too tame. If I have to sit through a man getting his head graphically punctured by a nail gun, at least give me a few more seconds of TV's hunkiest evil detective getting it on. Off-screen moaning doesn't count!

He's been under utilised the whole season. He had like maybe 5 lines up till now?

Monocle

He's been under utilised the whole season. He had like maybe 5 lines up till now?
We need an episode devoted to his backstory. That, or an entire spinoff entitled "Jack Samuels: Private Dick," in which he does detectiving. And other types of dicking.

Did Greg Weisman write this shit? The villain is always one step ahead every fucking episode trope is starting to wear thin, hopefully beverly takes the mantle as the head of the so called *cult*. Also, Ally is the worst main character in this entire series and that's saying something.

There s good reason to join a cult?

Most people don't knowingly join a cult. They're usually attracted to a charismatic leader with a vision. They follow the ideals of the leader. How people use this power is usually what qualifies them as a cult or not (ie being abusive to their followers).

For example, we don't consider Ghandi to be a cult leader, but we do of Jim Jones.

If you've ever looked up to our admired someone you haven't met, you've experienced the first stages of cult indoctrination.

cbrun44

I think this may be the first season I'm not enjoying at all. I hate every single character. Unbearable, all of them. But I keep watching. :/

And, on a side note, I've loved horror for over thirty years and have watched & not been bothered by pretty much anything... but that nail gun scene... fuck. That shit was fucked.

zeemumu

I really hope they don't expect us to buy that Ally could get framed for the murders. Everyone, news crew included, have to have seen Meadow taking shots before Ally tried to stop her, right?

justjim89

This whole season has been on an upward trajectory. It's campy and a bit absurd, but AHS kinda always has been. Really enjoying how it's been playing out.

justjim89

Not gonna lie, the fact that
it's still all a part of his plan
kinda bothers me. Waiting for him to start losing for a change.

Top Bottom