• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dylan O'Brien has been cast as Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Also, here's some noteworthy posts from redditleaker23456.

I'm not lying. Honest to God. And the longevity purposes thing is what it is, they wanted to be able to make more movies, have Peter first, then Miles.
RDJ was definitely involved. In fact, I've been hearing Peter and Tony Stark are going to have a lot of screen time together in upcoming MCU films. They're both geniuses and they're both cocky smart-mouths, not to mention that Peter sides with him in Civil War, so they compliment each other very well as characters. I hope that's exciting to hear.
They might not even do flashbacks. I honestly don't think anyone wants to be REMINDED of an origin story, we've had 2 exhausting ones already.
MAYBE on March 5th, which is when the "big" news drops. Most likely in mid-March to early-April though.
Marvel was hesitant about going through with the deal because of those things, but they mapped out contingency plans and got everything sorted, so it shouldn't be too much to worry about.
No, Marvel has a lot more control than you might think. Sony is pretty much just saving face with the whole "we have creative control" BS.
The big announcement on Thursday MIGHT be Spidey related, emphasis on might, though I'm not 100% sure. Don't have much on a tease for Spidey in AoU either, it is likely though.
The filming for Maze Runner: Scorch Trials has finished, the filming for Teen Wolf season 5 is wrapping, the script for the third Maze Runner movie is done, those films only take about an average of 40-45 days to shoot. So, from the looks of it, he'll definitely be able to work things out.
Feige had say, but not the final say, although he's happy with the way things are going. As far as Rothman's involvement goes, well... He's the head of Sony, he'll have a lot of say, despite of all the optimistic reports that say otherwise.
Drew Goddard was definitely looked at, likely won't be him though. Sony's looking at directors who work with comedic films mostly.
They [Marvel] have a lot more control than you think. And yes, Spidey will be in every Avengers movie coming up.
Feige was HEAVILY involved in the casting process and still is as he and Sony are still going over things. As a matter fact, one of the only reasons they liked O'Brien was because of the tone Marvel wanted to go with for Spidey this time around. Which BTW, is comedic, light-hearted, fun. Not emotional, dramatic, or wimpy.
Oh, and a lot of actors performed well I guess, don't really know about that though. What I do know is, that the reason they began to lean towards Dylan instead of Lerman was mostly because of his sarcastic, snarky side. Sony and Marvel figured Lerman was a much better dramatic actor, which wasn't really what the tone they wanted or looked for.
Well, Marvel had alternate versions of the script for CW with Spider-Man in it, so it depends on which one they go with. But truthfully, I don't think Black Panther will be sidelined, he'll still have an important role, so will Spider-Man.
Maybe. I don't see how though, CW starts shooting in April and we're going to see Spidey without his mask in more than one scene in that film, so they'd need an actor by then. Something would leak, they'll probably announce it in mid March to early April if anything.

Wazzy

Banned
Not only that, but it does an excellent job setting up the universe.

~ First episode spoilers ~

In the first scene of the first episode, he faces a group of small-time criminals, one of whom is Flint Marko (before he is The Sandman), and the encounter is watched by The Big Man and Hammerhead. It is established that Spider-Man has been interfering the the BIg Man's criminal work over the summer, and this is the first time that they actually have evidence that he is real. Later in the episode, the Enforcers are introduced and sent after him, while he is in a fight with the Vulture trying to save Norman Osborne from a vengeful buzzard. Dr. Otto Octavius is also introduced in this episode, in the same scene where we find out why Adrian Toomes is attacking Osborne and calling himself the Vulture; Peter is working at Dr. Curt Connors lab as an assistant, along with Gwen and Eddie Brock (a freshman in college). And some stuff happens with Parker at high school and I think the first episode is when he finds out that the lab job is unpaid which sets us up for his photography work.

It would be too busy for a movie, but anyone who has doubts about what they could do with a Spider-Man in high school should at least watch that before you write it off as uninteresting. And that's just the first episode; The Spectacular Spider-Man has a serialized plot so everything from then on builds on that foundation really nicely, so it's not just busy for the sake of being busy.

Ugh this show was so good.

I don't know if I want Gwen again, though. If they do Gwen again, I hope both her and MJ are introduced so that MJ's bonds grow along the two.

Patryn

because we all know comics like drawing anything approaching a real person. lol

Apparently you missed all the issues where the artists unambiguously drew Tommy Lee Jones as Norman Osbourne and Angelina Jolie (circa Hackers!) as Quake.

Neoxon

Not only that, but it does an excellent job setting up the universe.

~ First episode spoilers ~

In the first scene of the first episode, he faces a group of small-time criminals, one of whom is Flint Marko (before he is The Sandman), and the encounter is watched by The Big Man and Hammerhead. It is established that Spider-Man has been interfering the the BIg Man's criminal work over the summer, and this is the first time that they actually have evidence that he is real. Later in the episode, the Enforcers are introduced and sent after him, while he is in a fight with the Vulture trying to save Norman Osborne from a vengeful buzzard. Dr. Otto Octavius is also introduced in this episode, in the same scene where we find out why Adrian Toomes is attacking Osborne and calling himself the Vulture; Peter is working at Dr. Curt Connors lab as an assistant, along with Gwen and Eddie Brock (a freshman in college). And some stuff happens with Parker at high school and I think the first episode is when he finds out that the lab job is unpaid which sets us up for his photography work.

It would be too busy for a movie, but anyone who has doubts about what they could do with a Spider-Man in high school should at least watch that before you write it off as uninteresting. And that's just the first episode; The Spectacular Spider-Man has a serialized plot so everything from then on builds on that foundation really nicely, so it's not just busy for the sake of being busy.
You should also note that
Montana of the Enforcers eventually becomes Shocker in Spectacular Spider-Man.

MC Safety

He isn't though. You'll struggle to find a Spidey comic from the last 30 years where he looks more like McGuire than he does the other two.

We are talking about Spider-Man as a film that retells his origin story. As in, high school Peter Parker.

You are referring to adult male Peter Parker.

Are you really trying to tell me comic book artists have different styles and that trends change over time?

KmA

Not gonna lie, kind of disappointed with all this talk of a minority spider-man. But Dylan O'Brien is the only good thing about Teen Wolf so I'll let it slide.

"Lerman was a much better dramatic actor"

Lmao this dude must be so bad. Sounds like they're going for the tone that a lot of fans been wwnting though so good for them

The funny thing about Miles fans is that they don't understand how he's supposed to be 13 years old. Not 23.

That dude would've been ok for Peter.

Yep this is the kind of age group they would be looking at for Miles.

Ironically a ton of people dont realize that

Yeah miles' defining trait is his extreme youth relative to other heroes, not his skin color.

Miles has been placed in "high school".
His defining trait was not having any psychological traits other than "can I be Peter Parker?",

I wrote "outline of him" for this very reason.
He's only liked because he looks cool and has a cool suit. He's not succesful yet, but hopefully they can fix him with edge of spider-verse but I doubt it.

And the worst, placing him as a an early teen/kid leads to those problems because it becomes hard to write problematics, which is something most people enjoy to ask for and then complain.

Patryn

For those curious, the schwarma stinger on the Avengers was filmed on April 12, 2012, two days after its official premiere and only 22 days prior to its wide release in the US.

So, depending on the complexity of the stinger, they have plenty of time to do something for Age of Ultron.

anaron

It was from the original reddit post. Search "redditleaker23456" & you'll find all his posts.
just found your post. :p

Well, Marvel had alternate versions of the script for CW with Spider-Man in it, so it depends on which one they go with. But truthfully, I don't think Black Panther will be sidelined, he'll still have an important role, so will Spider-Man.

please be true

anaron

"I'm not lying. Honest to God. And the longevity purposes thing is what it is, they wanted to be able to make more movies, have Peter first, then Miles."

Like I said, 2025 ahoy.
even that's being generous. peter/dylan will be so damn popular that they'll drag that shit out :/

Mumei

Throwaway villains used for one or two scenes really should have been a thing for Spider-Man movies by now.

I'm not a screenwriter or caster by any means, but it seems like that would be something more difficult to accomplish in a film than it might've been in a television show. Not impossible, of course, but it does seem like it would be more of a challenge.

You should also note that
Montana of the Enforcers eventually becomes Shocker in Spectacular Spider-Man.

This is true!

I think J.K/JJJ complaining about heroes hiding behind masks as part of the AoU stinger works into the theme and plot of Civil War quite well. They just need to end it with Spider-Man.

Busty

Banned
Pffft, this is old news. I'm already looking at candidates who'll replace him in the inevitable reboot in a few years.

Who's doing good work on the Disney Channel right now?

...., by the way, I said this when Andrew Garfield was cast and it put a lot of people's noses out of joint.

Just sayin.

spidey should've been a tv show that would have been incredible

Requires too big a budget for a TV show I'd imagine. Agents of Shield and Agent Carter are all very grounded, and the Netflix series are all street-level stuff. Spidey and his villains gallery requires a lot of SFX money

Also, why make a couple million on a TV series when you can make billions on a movie franchise?

Great choice. Guy is funny, charming and has the right feel for Peter Parker.

For those curious, the schwarma stinger on the Avengers was filmed on April 12, 2012, two days after its official premiere and only 22 days prior to its wide release in the US.

So, depending on the complexity of the stinger, they have plenty of time to do something for Age of Ultron.

Interesting, thanks for that info.

I would actually be surprised if there isn't a Spidey stinger on AoU.

theWB27

Pffft, this is old news. I'm already looking at candidates who'll replace him in the inevitable reboot in a few years.

Who's doing good work on the Disney Channel right now?

...., by the way, I said this when Andrew Garfield was cast and it put a lot of people's noses out of joint.

Just sayin.

When Sony was in sole control and fast forward to now when Sony is just trying to save face and Disney has the mantle.

The big thing is continuity in the avengers and I doubt Marvel will have a bunch of reboots to mess with that.

Requires too big a budget for a TV show I'd imagine. Agents of Shield and Agent Carter are all very grounded, and the Netflix series are all street-level stuff. Spidey and his villains gallery requires a lot of SFX money

He is buddies with the Netflix crowd though. Hopefully the contract involves plenty of TV cameos. I mean, characters like Electro and Venom are pretty high budget, but he can certainly fistfight with Kingpen without too much in the way of SFX.

anaron

I honestly think we're past those limitations. the Flash's effects are fantastic and that's on a cw budget

with something like a 10 episode Netflix season, it would work so well

Calamari41

41 > 38
It would have been amazing if all of this Sony/Marvel Spider-Man stuff had been kept under wraps until the Age of Ultron post credits scene. I realize how hard it would have been to try to keep it from leaking, but god damn. People would have passed out.

Avixph

If for some crazy reason they did Miles Tyler Williams Jackson is the only one that makes sense. Disney already signs his checks

xgBk5S3.jpg

Yes definitely.
Also his name is Tyrel Jackson Williams not Tyler Williams Jackson.

iNvid02

hes maze runner boy right, he was my preferred choice out of the rumored actors. still, i would have been ok with them putting a bit of makeup on tobey maguire

Spidey is buddies with everyone

True. Although I always get the feeling that the heavy hitters like Cap, Thor etc more kind of just tolerate him, while he's actually kinda friends with people like Daredevil and Luke Cage. I guess he's always been pretty tight with the F4, though. Definitely not with most of the X-Men, though.

does anybody think ezra miller would have been in the running if he wasn't already cast as the flash? i feel like wb is gonna want him to be the spiderman of the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom