• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dylan O'Brien has been cast as Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorikyasu

Also, here's some noteworthy posts from redditleaker23456.
RDJ was definitely involved. In fact, I've been hearing Peter and Tony Stark are going to have a lot of screen time together in upcoming MCU films. They're both geniuses and they're both cocky smart-mouths, not to mention that Peter sides with him in Civil War, so they compliment each other very well as characters. I hope that's exciting to hear.

Spidey & Stark spending time together? Sounds great to me.
Hopefully we can get a scene of two sharing donuts...
78506479e9738b9886ad6caab11c6fdb.jpg

tumblr_m4ya8tHOCb1qajc4eo1_500.gif

Busty

Banned
When Sony was in sole control and fast forward to now when Sony is just trying to save face and Disney has the mantle.

The big thing is continuity in the avengers and I doubt Marvel will have a bunch of reboots to mess with that.

I don't have any insider info on the Sony/Marvel deal but it feels a little strange to me that, as Variety had reported, Fiege apparently won't be involved in any of Sony/Columbia's proposed Spider Man spin offs.

I think, and I stress that I could be wrong, that this Sony/Marvel deal for Spider Man has possibly been over exaggerated, possibly. While I could certainly see Spidery in Civil War to say that he'll now be a permanent member of the Avengers going forward doesn't ring true to me at all, especially with Rothman now at the helm at SPE.

I also don't think that this Reddit 'insider' is legit in any way, shape or form. But that doesn't mean that Dylan O'Brien isn't the front runner for the Spidey gig.

I don't have any insider info on the Sony/Marvel deal but it feels a little strange to me that, as Variety had reported, Fiege apparently won't be involved in any of Sony/Columbia's proposed Spider Man spin offs.

I think, and I stress that I could be wrong, that this Sony/Marvel deal for Spider Man has possibly been over exaggerated, possibly. While I could certainly see Spidery in Civil War to say that he'll now be a permanent member of the Avengers going forward doesn't ring true to me at all, especially with Rothman now at the helm at SPE.

I also don't think that this Reddit 'insider' is legit in any way, shape or form. But that doesn't mean that Dylan O'Brien isn't the front runner for the Spidey gig.

Why on earth would Marvel make a deal with Sony to have him only appear in one MCU film, Cap 3.

He will be in every Avengers film

anaron

yuck at that info about him and iron man

you can just rename the MCU to "Peter and Tony ft. their super friends!" if that's the case

Furyous

Good for Marvel for doing the right thing. We all know Miles was a pipe dream at best. High School Peter in this era makes for some great stories.

TIME OUT: If Peter is in high school
and sides with Tony
then.... I'm going to SPOIL......

High School Peter revealing his identity has to make Johnny Storm look like the Pope. Imagine designerd Parker going from no women to a girls his age (<--- see what I did there?) DMing him about his adventures. This script could write itself with inside jokes on culture. Social Media live blogging Parker's efforts as Spider-Man in-costume and out. We need Civil War for the Spidey reveal alone.

High School Peter revealing his identity has to make Johnny Storm look like the Pope. Imagine designerd Parker going from no women to a girls his age (<--- see what I did there?) DMing him about his adventures. This script could write itself with inside jokes on culture. Social Media live blogging Parker's efforts as Spider-Man in-costume and out. We need Civil War for the Spidey reveal alone.

Civil War in the MCU likely won't be about secret identities since there basically aren't any in the MCU. It'll be like Winter Soldier or Age of Ultron: The name provides a jumping-off point for a story that's vaguely similar but not really.

Blader

Didn't you also swear up and down that a Sony/Marvel deal on Spider-Man would never, ever, happen and that Sony would never remove Avi Arad from the equation? :p

Tobor

Feige was HEAVILY involved in the casting process and still is as he and Sony are still going over things. As a matter fact, one of the only reasons they liked O'Brien was because of the tone Marvel wanted to go with for Spidey this time around. Which BTW, is comedic, light-hearted, fun. Not emotional, dramatic, or wimpy.

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more emo Peter! This has to be true. It's so perfect.

Feige was HEAVILY involved in the casting process and still is as he and Sony are still going over things. As a matter fact, one of the only reasons they liked O'Brien was because of the tone Marvel wanted to go with for Spidey this time around. Which BTW, is comedic, light-hearted, fun. Not emotional, dramatic, or wimpy.
So... Lord & Miller? :)

sparkzero

Was super excited for a moment when I read the title, but then I read the source is "just" a reddit guy.

This better be true! Dylan is perfect for that role.

Mumei

Civil War in the MCU likely won't be about secret identities since there basically aren't any in the MCU. It'll be like Winter Soldier or Age of Ultron: The name provides a jumping-off point for a story that's vaguely similar but not really.

And thank god for that.

Jigorath

Banned

It doesn't make much sense that Marvel would push back four of their films and help Sony produce a solo movie if they're only going to use Spider-Man once. It's pretty obvious that they have long term plans for the character. Sony has no real reason to want Spider-Man out considering the MCU connection will give a big box office boost to the solo films which Sony collects all the profits from.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Calling it now, Shailene Woodley's gonna play Mary Jane.

And she's going to be paid a LOT more than she originally was.

anaron

Eh I'm sure it's a setup for Peter to be conflicted about Cap and Tony in civil war.
"RDJ was definitely involved. In fact, I've been hearing Peter and Tony Stark are going to have a lot of screen time together in upcoming MCU films. They're both geniuses and they're both cocky smart-mouths, not to mention that Peter sides with him in Civil War, so they compliment each other very well as characters. I hope that's exciting to hear."

in general it'll be about more than just secret identities yeah, but I think that's going to be the main hook for spider-man's involvement. he would in fact be the first superhero in the MCU where his secret identity is important.

theWB27

Just because he wouldn't be involved in the spinoffs doesnt mean they're going to be casting different actors. It makes absolutely no sense for Marvel to strike a deal to put Spidey in Avengers and their future projects only to have Sony cast someone else later in their solo films.

Sony will be making money off of this deal while riding the popularity that Marvel has created with their Avengers and solo efforts. You have to remember, Marvel doesn't make one time deals...they lock people up for so many films when things are agreed.

They didn't NEED Spidey, so I don't see a reason why they would've relented on their usual deals with actors just to get Spidey in Avengers one time. My thinking has nothing to do with the Reddit insider.

Even so...those Sony solo projects are going to have to tie in someway with the Marvel universe. Sony would have to be downright stupid to include Spidey in Avengers, which will only boost the interest in their solo films, only to not have Spidey in any other Avenger movies or Marvel's solo efforts. At this point, it's really nothing more than financial gain on Sony's end.

Maximus.

I would be okay with this. Watched the highlights of him in Teen Wolf and liked what I saw. Also watched a video interview with him when he name was getting thrown around before.

Blader

According to the leaked emails they're working on an animated Spider-Man movie.

They should get Drew Goddard on the project.

I think that was only suggested as an idea, not something that was definitely happening.

It also doesn't make sense to me that they'd go through the trouble of recasting a Spider-Man while concurrently running an animated Spider-Man flick.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Never heard of this guy, but unlike whoever played Spiderman in Amazing Spiderman, this dude actually looks like he's got a decent build for the character.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It would have been amazing if all of this Sony/Marvel Spider-Man stuff had been kept under wraps until the Age of Ultron post credits scene. I realize how hard it would have been to try to keep it from leaking, but god damn. People would have passed out.

I think Danny Elfman being credited is Marvel tipping their hand.

Neoxon

More redditleaker23456 posts
Not much [that he knows about supporting characters in the solo Spidey movie]. But the Daily Bugle is making a return for sure.
If [Dylan as Spidey is] not [announced] on March 5th, [he'll be revealed] somewhere between mid-March to early-April.
He's [redditleaker23456's source] not spot on all the time, no. But most of the time he's right. And yeah, Sony were about to go ahead with Miles Morales, but decided to go with Peter first for longevity reasons. What do you mean by age, personality though?
Follow-up answer below.
He'll be very similar to Andrew's Spidey for sure, witty, cocky, confident. Um, and Marvel's probably going to announce it, if not on March 5th, somewhere between mid-March to early-April. And yes, things move VERY QUICKLY after an actor is cast. So I don't find it hard to believe he's done fittings for the suit already.
Yeah, he's gonna meet all those guys [Cap, Winter Soldier, etc.] in upcoming Avengers films and Civil War.
Peter will be 16-17 years old and back in high school
No. Maybe mentioned or hinted at existing in the universe, no one [from the rest of the MCU] will show up [in the solo Spidey movie].
Marvel had a hand [in the Spider-Man casting choice], a pretty big hand at that, and although Sony made the decison, Marvel was satisfied with how things went.

LaNaranja

"RDJ was definitely involved. In fact, I've been hearing Peter and Tony Stark are going to have a lot of screen time together in upcoming MCU films. They're both geniuses and they're both cocky smart-mouths, not to mention that Peter sides with him in Civil War, so they compliment each other very well as characters. I hope that's exciting to hear."

If true does that mean Cap gets Black Panther?

Kibbles

Great choice, skip or at least shorten the origin story. Sitting through yet another origin story is going to be painful

I'm pretty worried about it being a reddit source.

I'm preparing myself for the possibility of this dude just lying and it being either Logan Lerman, or Miles and to be mega dissapointed

Sheroking

I didn't know this. Source?

On every network, when you sign on as a regular to a series, you sign a multi-year talent contract. On CW, it's six years across the board.

The Vampire Diaries cast had to re-up this year for Season 7, and here's Stephen Amell talking about his six year deal (forgive the shit source, but it's a transcription of an interview).

I mean, he could ASK to be let out - but there's a difference between a supporting actor asking to leave and the star of your number one show trying to leave. The answer would be no.

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more emo Peter! This has to be true. It's so perfect.

I think the emotional aspects is what makes Spiderman great but whatever. I can actually feel stuff when watching most of those unlike pretty much every other superhero movie and that's what makes them stand out to me. I'm excited and it should still be good but I hope it's not just some straight up comedy with action. It needs that weight too.

Pachimari

Don't the reddit source say, that Marvel have more control than assumed and then goes on to say that the new Sony president have final say, and that Sony made the final decision in casting Dylan?

Seems contradictory to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom