• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FOX Sports bringing Bundesliga German soccer league to U.S. TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

bundesliga-on-fox-tv.png

FOX Sports embarks on its inaugural season as the U.S. home to the Bundesliga, Germany’s top professional soccer league, on Friday, August 14th, expanding its multi-platform domestic coverage to unprecedented levels. More than 300 regular-season matches are scheduled for live television or streaming in the U.S. for the first time ever, more than double past years, including 58 slated for FOX Sports 1.

The Bundesliga season consists of 306 matches played from August to May. In addition to the 58 games telecast on FOX Sports 1, 60 are earmarked for FOX Sports 2, and the remainder offered via FOX Soccer Plus. On the Spanish-language side, FOX Deportes is set to televise 105 matches. Additionally, every game televised on FOX Sports 1 or FOX Sports 2 is being streamed live on desktop computers via FOXSoccer.com as well as the FOX Sports GO mobile app. All FOX Soccer Plus matches are being streamed on the FOX Soccer 2 GO app.

Editor’s note to cord cutters: Every single game of the Bundesliga will be available live and on-demand via FOX Soccer 2GO to your computer, smartphone or tablet.

The first round of the Bundesliga season features six matches, officially kicking off on Friday, Aug. 14 with defending champion Bayern Munich taking on Hamburg. In a special telecast, the match is being offered on FOX Sports Regional Networks, FOX Sports 2, FOXSports.com and via FOX Sports’ YouTube channel, with pregame coverage beginning at 2:00 PM ET. While Werder Bremen and Borussia Dortmund are also in action Week 1, last season’s league runner-up Wolfsburg faces off against Eintracht Frankfurt on FOX Sports 1 on Sunday, Aug. 16 with pregame coverage beginning at 9:00 AM ET.

Ian Joy joins FOX Sports as its lead Bundesliga studio host, sitting alongside a rotation of analysts including Eric Wynalda, like Joy a Bundesliga veteran. Joy, previously with beIN Sports, is a former soccer professional, having played in Germany, most notably at Hamburg, and also with Real Salt Lake and the Portland Timbers in Major League Soccer. Wynalda is the first American-born player to play for a top-level German club (Saarbrucken) and won the Bundesliga Best Newcomer of the Year award in 1992. Special guest analysts are expected to join the panel throughout the season. FOX Sports also offer features, interviews and reports provided by Sky Deutschland, its sister network in Germany and the Bundesliga’s domestic rights holder.

The TV schedule for the opening weeks of the Bundesliga season is as follows:

Friday, August 14

Bayern Munich vs Hamburg, 2:30pm, FOX Sports 2, FOX Sports Net, FOX Deportes, YouTube and FOX Soccer 2GO

Saturday, August 15

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hoffenheim, 9:30am, FOX Sports 2, FOX Deportes and FOX Soccer 2GO
Werder Bremen vs Schalke, 9:30am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
Augsburg vs Hertha Berlin, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Mainz vs Ingolstadt, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Darmstadt vs Hannover, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Borussia Dortmund vs Borussia Monchengladbach, 12:30pm, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO

Sunday, August 16

Wolfsburg vs Eintracht Frankfurt, 9:30am, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Stuttgart vs Cologne, 11:30am, FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Deportes and FOX Soccer 2GO

Friday, August 21

Hertha Berlin vs Werder Bremen, 2:30pm, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO

Saturday, August 22

Hoffenheim vs Bayern Munich, 9:30am, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Cologne vs Wolfsburg, 9:30am, FOX Sports 2, FOX Deportes and FOX Soccer 2GO
Frankfurt vs Augsburg, 9:30am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
Schalke vs Darmstadt, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Hannover vs Bayer Leverkusen, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Hamburg vs Stuttgart, 12:30pm, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO

Sunday, August 23

Ingolstadt vs Borussia Dortmund, 9:30am, FOX Sports 1, FOX Deportes and FOX Soccer 2GO
Borussia Monchengladbach vs Mainz, 11:30am, FOX Sports 1, FOX Deportes and FOX Soccer 2GO

Friday, August 28

Wolfsburg vs Schalke, 2:30pm, FOX Sports 1, FOX Deportes and FOX Soccer 2GO

Saturday, August 29

Stuttgart vs Frankfurt, 9:30am, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Mainz vs Hannover, 9:30am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
Cologne vs Hamburg, 9:30am, FOX Deportes and FOX Soccer 2GO
Augsburg vs Ingolstadt, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Darmstadt vs Hoffenheim, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Bayern Munich vs Bayer Leverkusen, 12:30pm, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO

Sunday, August 30

Borussia Dortmund vs Hertha Berlin, 9:30am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
Werder Bremen vs Borussia Monchengladbach, 11:30am, FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Deportes and FOX Soccer 2GO

Friday, September 11

Borussia Monchengladbach vs Hamburg, 2:30pm, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO

Saturday, September 12

Bayern Munich vs Augsburg, 9:30am, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Bayer Leverkusen vs Darmstadt, 9:30am, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Hannover vs Borussia Dortmund, 9:30am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
Hertha Berlin vs Stuttgart, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Ingolstadt vs Wolfsburg, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Frankfurt vs Cologne, 12:30pm, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO

Sunday, September 13

Hoffenheim vs Werder Bremen, 9:30am, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Schalke vs Mainz, 11:30am, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO

Friday, September 18

Mainz vs Hoffenheim, 2:30pm, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO

Saturday, September 19

SV Darmstadt 98 vs Bayern Munich, 9:30am, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Wolfsburg vs Hertha Berlin, 9:30am, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Cologne vs Borussia Monchengladbach, 9:30am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
Hamburg vs Frankfurt, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Werder Bremen vs Ingolstadt, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Stuttgart vs Schalke, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO

Sunday, September 20

Stuttgart vs Schalke, 9:30am, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Borussia Dortmund vs Bayer Leverkusen, 11:30am, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Augsburg vs Hannover, 11:30am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO

Tuesday, September 22

Bayern Munich vs Wolfsburg, 2pm, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Darmstadt vs Werder Bremen, 2pm, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Hertha Berlin vs Cologne, 2pm, FOX Soccer 2GO
Ingolstadt vs Hamburg, 2pm, FOX Soccer 2GO

Wednesday, September 23

Borussia Monchengladbach vs Augsburg, 2pm, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Schalke vs Frankfurt, 2pm, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Bayer Leverkusen vs Mainz, 2pm, FOX Soccer 2GO
Hannover vs Stuttgart, 2pm, FOX Soccer 2GO
Hoffenheim vs Borussia Dortmund, 2pm, FOX Soccer 2GO

Friday, September 25

Cologne vs Ingolstadt, 2:30pm, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO

Saturday, September 26

Mainz vs Bayern Munich, 9:30am, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Stuttgart vs Borussia Monchengladbach, 9:30am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
Wolfsburg vs Hannover, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Augsburg vs Hoffenheim, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Werder Bremen vs Bayer Leverkusen, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO
Hamburg vs Schalke, 9:30am, FOX Soccer 2GO

Sunday, September 27

Frankfurt vs Hertha Berlin, 9:30am, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2GO
Borussia Dortmund vs Darmstadt, 11:30am, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2GO

8fBuDTf.png

081015-soccer-Bundesliga-Infographic-ia-mp.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Too bad Bayern destroyed the league when they gutted Dortmund. Now it's just a one-team league.

Amazing. I hadn't heard the news about Fox Sports picking up the Bundesliga. GolTV was awful. Hopefully the Bundesliga catches on in America.

zoku88

I was about to comment on something about the timings being at suprisingly decent hours, and I realized that the OP doesn't seem to have timezones.

Are those eastern?

RBH

I was about to comment on something about the timings being at suprisingly decent hours, and I realized that the OP doesn't seem to have timezones.

Are those eastern?

Just checked, and yes, those times are Eastern time zone.

tim.mbp

Looks like they changed the schedule a bit from when they first announced it. More games on on FS1 which is a good thing. Still sucks you can't stream any match you want with your cable credentials.

FootballFan

Terrible league.

Fox sports could have tried to secure some other league like Russian PL, Primeira Liga, Hyundai A League or Ligue 1.

Oh well.

RBH

Amazing. I hadn't heard the news about Fox Sports picking up the Bundesliga. GolTV was awful. Hopefully the Bundesliga catches on in America.

Yeah, I didn't know about it until recently. FOX actually won the TV contract rights way back in 2013, with a 5-year contract that now begins this year.

Bundesliga is probably the most fun league to watch, and this is coming from a diehard La Liga fan. As long as you remove any notion of a title race existing at all, the games themselves are quite good.

NBC has EPL

Fox has Bundesliga

I wonder if La Liga is the next big NA contract.

Terrible league.

Fox sports could have tried to secure some other league like Russian PL, Primeira Liga, Hyundai A League or Ligue 1.

Oh well.

beIN sports owns the rights to Ligue 1, La Liga, Serie A, the Russian PL, the Football League Championship (second flight of English football), Coppa Italia, Capitol One Cup, and Copa Del Rey (sans the final).

The problem is no one gets that channel and outside of Barca, Madrid, PSG, and maybe Juve no group of Americans large enough to put pressure on service providers to pick up the channel actually give a fuck about ANY of the teams in those competitions.

Wow, FC Bayern Munich won the title 24 times in the league's 52 years of existence. That must be demoralizing for fans of other teams in the league.

Fëanorian

Neo Member
Bein Sports is legit awesome, loves me their commentators in spanish.

My dish package has me cover with all sorts of football goodness.

Pennywise

Wow, FC Bayern Munich won the title 24 times in the league's 52 years of existence. That must be demoralizing for fans of other teams in the league.
Nah they build up their sucess and worked hard for it, unlike other leagues where and investor just buys a club as toy and pumps money without any limit into the team. Besides it's not like there is only the battle for the first spot. International spots, german cup are always pretty interesting. When Dortmund dominated the league not too long ago, the battle for the first spot was obviously pretty boring. There are just so many moments that can be great. Dortmund beating their biggest rival Schalke and destroying their hope for the title. A third league team getting into the quarter final of the cup and just so many great moments.

Great so its on a channel like no one gets and no one wants to pay for. I'm not paying an extra $10 a month or whatever to watch games at the ass crack of dawn.

beIN sports owns the rights to Ligue 1, La Liga, Serie A, the Russian PL, the Football League Championship (second flight of English football), Coppa Italia, Capitol One Cup, and Copa Del Rey (sans the final).

The problem is no one gets that channel and outside of Barca, Madrid, PSG, and maybe Juve no group of Americans large enough to put pressure on service providers to pick up the channel actually give a fuck about ANY of the teams in those competitions.
Sling TV has a standalone international sports package with beIN for $10/mo. Also includes One World Sports which apparently has the A League, J.League, and some other Asian competitions. I've thought about picking it up, but since I recently went to a capped ISP, I've been waiting to get a good sense of my average bandwidth usage is before I go crazy.

RBH

Looks like they changed the schedule a bit from when they first announced it. More games on on FS1 which is a good thing. Still sucks you can't stream any match you want with your cable credentials.

Yeah, they changed a few things after the initial leak:

After many fans of German soccer expressed their outrage across the web and social media about, first, FOX’s lack of communication about its Bundesliga plans, and then FOX’s preliminary plans for Bundesliga TV coverage, we can reveal that FOX Sports certainly heard those complaints and made several last minute changes to its schedule.

Those last minute changes were:

• Moving games from FOX Soccer Plus to FOX Sports 2, including the season opener (as we reported last night),

• Moving several games to FOX Sports 1 (which weren’t originally listed on FOX’s own Bundeslga TV schedule on its website), and

• Adding a free YouTube stream of the season opener
http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/07/30/fox-sports-officially-announces-bundesliga-tv-coverage-plans/

Moar liek Snoresville-liga amirite???

Seriously though, it's a shame it's become such a one team league team as some team matchups can actually be pretty fun, but in the overall scheme of European soccer seemingly lower tier in regards to conversation.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Oh this is some good news out of nowhere. Maybe I get a chance to follow my boys in green and white.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Once Kevin De Bruyne leaves Wolfsburg and goes to Man City, the season is over and Bayern will win it again by double digit points.

If Fox is smart they'll create an extended highlight show like Premier Match of the Day the way NBC-SN does for EPL. It'll allow viewers who are short on time to discover new teams and players.

Outside of Dortmund games, I don't know how many Bundesliga games I'll watch. As others have pointed out a million times, it's a one-team league. I'd rather FOX attempt to provide coverage of USL and NASL domestic games. I imagine it'll produce about the same ratings...

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
BeIn has god-awful coverage. Studio commentary with the volume levels blared in favor of the commentators rather than the crowd noise need to be fucked off. The same goes for starting the coverage of the football game at kick-off. If you don't show the lineups and the walkout and have to squeeze in every last possible commercial then I hate you. It only takes an extra minute.

Lkr

If Fox is smart they'll create an extended highlight show like Premier Match of the Day the way NBC-SN does for EPL. It'll allow viewers who are short on time to discover new teams and players.

Outside of Dortmund games, I don't know how many Bundesliga games I'll watch. As others have pointed out a million times, it's a one-team league. I'd rather FOX attempt to provide coverage of USL and NASL domestic games. I imagine it'll produce about the same ratings...

does NBC create their own MoTD or do they reair the BBC show?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I heard this Bayern Munich team is pretty good.

Yeah, until they meet an actual challenge that is. Then they get shit on pretty hard, but other than that: gg Pep.

Bundesliga can be be fun, but 6/10 games are kinda boring to me. Rather watch La Liga and EPL.

Lots of shit talking on the Bundesliga in here, yet people are talking up La Liga and the BPL. La Liga is usually a two horse race every year, and the BPL was boring last year with Chelsea running away with it so early.

I'm a Bayern fan, so I'm cool with them winning, but people seem to forget that, up until the last few years, they were often in close races for the championship. From 2000 to 2010, they alternated championships every year with another Bundesliga club, except for a two season stretch in the middle, and then Dortmund had back-to-back championships of their own starting in 2010. It's only the last few years when Bayern has been dominant. And their dominance may start to wane due to the aging of some of their stars like Robben and Ribery.

The truth is that more soccer is a good thing. I've got no strong allegiance to any league, so the fact that I can pick between the best Bundesliga, BPL, La Liga, or (sometimes) Serie A games every week, that's a good thing. A match between two top-of-the-table clubs is more interesting to me that one between a top-of-the-table club and a bottom feeder (barring a surprising upset, of course).

RBH

8fBuDTf.png

The Bundesliga itself will do its part to make sure Fox will be able to capture such moments. The league, on the request of Fox, put together “insider guides” to a number of its 18 clubs. The segments will portray the clubs’ history and development, Whitehead said. “To have that ability from the host broadcaster is unique. But it’s unique because this is a world deal. It’s not just with Fox in the U.S., this is around the globe.” The deal, which 21st Century Fox signed in ’13, includes 80 countries and territories on four continents. The financial terms of the deal remain confidential. Due to the deal's global scope, the Bundesliga understands the need to produce this material as it is looking to increase its awareness around the world. While viewers may have been exposed to clubs such as Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and VfL Wolfsburg as part of Fox’s coverage of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, the majority of Bundesliga teams lack this int'l presence. Whitehead, who described the lesser-known teams as the league’s "Hinterland" -- the German word for backcountry -- believes the features will help build fan bases for those sides and show their blue-collar nature, which might appeal to viewers.

The network is not only talking to the league regarding its coverage and production plans, but also to its clubs and in particular Bayern Munich. The club opened an office in N.Y. in ’14 and is collaborating with Fox to sync up their promotional campaigns. Bayern’s network of more than 80 officially registered fan clubs across the U.S. will play a featured role in those promo plans. “National TV coverage will undoubtedly help fans more easily organize and build excitement around our weekly matches,” said Rudolf Vidal, managing director of Bayern Munich US. “Our fan clubs are our most valuable multiplier, so if we do joint promotions with Fox or watch parties it is directly for our fan clubs.” The club also hopes to provide its fan clubs with discounts on Fox’s streaming services, Vidal added.

The 58 games, which are scheduled to air on FS1, will have a studio show that features former Bundesliga player Ian Joy as the lead host. Joy will be joined by a rotation of analysts including Bundesliga veteran Eric Wynalda. With the help of its sister network, Sky Deutschland, Fox Sports will be able to augment its coverage with on-site reporters, Whitehead said. He stayed away from any comparison to NBC's coverage of the Premier League, only applauding the competitor’s authentic coverage. "We are a different company, and we have a different philosophy. We do things in a different way."
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2015/08/11/Media/Fox-Bundesliga-Bayern.aspx

Pro Tip: If your cable network doesn't get Fox Sports 2 in Hi-Def, check the streaming options from your cable network. I can get FS2 in Hi-Def through Time Warner Cable via Roku or the Xbox apps, but not through regular cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom