• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FOX Sports bringing Bundesliga German soccer league to U.S. TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZQQLANDER

Leverkusen tied before the break! Why doesn't Fox have the same deal as NBC? Can't watch whatever Bundesliga game I want if it isn't on FS1.....

old

Sling TV has a standalone international sports package with beIN for $10/mo. Also includes One World Sports which apparently has the A League, J.League, and some other Asian competitions. I've thought about picking it up, but since I recently went to a capped ISP, I've been waiting to get a good sense of my average bandwidth usage is before I go crazy.

I've steadily been watching more soccer over the years. The world cups were my gateway drug. I've been looking for a way to watch more soccer without buying cable.

ATF487

Looking forward to this, I've always enjoyed the bundesliga/German cup games I've watched, but the coverage here has never been great before now. I think I'll still be following the premier league first but it'll be great to have options

Edit: Need to pick a team though....

RBH

Leverkusen tied before the break! Why doesn't Fox have the same deal as NBC? Can't watch whatever Bundesliga game I want if it isn't on FS1.....

You can watch every Bundesliga game..........if you purchase a subscription to Fox Soccer 2Go :(

There are two types of FOX Soccer 2Go subscriptions available:

Monthly subscription is available for $19.99.
Annual subscription is available for only $169.99

With your FOX Soccer 2Go subscription, stream over 1,200 live and on demand games from the World's best Soccer and rugby competitions, including the UEFA Champions League, Europa League and much more! As part of your subscription, watch over 1,200 games online on your PC/MAC or download our FOX Soccer 2Go apps to watch live games on your iPhone, iPad and Android.

You can watch games anytime, anywhere through the following devices:
PC, MAC, iPhone, iPad, iTouch, Android smartphones, and via AirPlay on your Apple TV.
http://www.foxsoccer2go.com/home

There's a free trial that runs until August 31st

Looking forward to this, I've always enjoyed the bundesliga/German cup games I've watched, but the coverage here has never been great before now. I think I'll still be following the premier league first but it'll be great to have options

SBNation has a good guide for picking a Bundesliga club.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015...eview-2015-16-tv-schedule-how-to-watch-online

Seems like their strongest recommendation is for Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Cormano

Good to see more football in the US, i dont reslly like Fox though, soon i'll be switching to Slingtv and wont be able to watch any of these bundesliga matches.

in the last 5 years dortmund got to be champion 2 times and bayern got to be champion 3 times. wolfsburg is on the rise and schalke, leverkusen and moenchengladbach are not too shaby either. I dont think its really that bad of a league.

Mönchengladbach.

They have history.
The fanbase isn't full of bandwagoners, frontrunners, and gloryhunters (like Bayern)
The fanbase isn't full of ironic wannabe hipsters that are secretly also bandwagoners (like Dortmund)

The team has good young talent and are back on the rise after a few lean years.

Pennywise

the money is on gladbach. but i don´t like dortmund anyway so go for it!

tumblr_m6xc1yzAWK1qfnllzo1_500.gif

Cormano

"MLS sucks, I'm not watching it" -> MLS doesn't make enough money -> MLS still sucks

Get over it, support the domestic league. I like Europe as much as the next guy but the snobbery doesn't help it grow here.

I agree, MLS is trying to grow and compete in World Football, sadly CONCACAF is not the best place to do, there definitely not as bad as they used to be.

Quixzlizx

Is there an Android app that I can use that lets me know what games are available to me depending on what channels I have access to? Basically a TV listings app, only just for soccer matches.

RBH

There was a lot of excitement amongst hardcore soccer fans about finally being able to have widespread access to arguably the most entertaining league in the world – the German Bundesliga. No longer was the Bundesliga stuck on a pay-TV service. A new contract with Fox Sports meant the German league that features many of the reigning World Cup champions and goals aplenty would be available to the masses.

Unfortunately, it appears that only those hardcore soccer fans tuned in over the opening weekend.

According to Sports TV Ratings, the first Bundesliga match on Fox Sports 1 – Wolfsburg vs Eintracht Frankfurt – drew 50,000 viewers on Sunday. Just 50,000.

To put that viewership number into full perspective, here’s what the other televised soccer matches in America did on that day:

Chelsea-Man City (NBCSN): 818,000
Arsenal-Crystal Palace (NBCSN): 417,000
Seattle-Orlando City (ESPN2): 345,000
USWNT-Costa Rica (FS1): 315,000
Toluca-Guadalajara (UDN): 199,000
Philadelphia-Chicago (FS1): 120,000
Wolfsburg-Frankfurt (FS1): 50,000

Ouch.

Now in fairness, Wolfsburg and Eintracht aren’t exactly the biggest brand names in the Bundesliga that you see every year in Europe, although Wolfsburg were runners up last year and won the German Cup. So I know what you’re thinking, wouldn’t Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund do better. Well… not so fast.

The first Bundesliga game Fox televised was Bayern-Hamburg on Friday on Fox Sports 2. It registered 32,000 viewers on the network and even fell behind a taped UFC Reloaded featuring a PPV from three years ago later in the day. A caveat to that is Fox also televised Bayern-Hamburg on YouTube and its regional networks, but still, that’s not a very high rating even by FS2’s standards and considering the syndication.

Realistically, Fox couldn’t have expected Premier League type ratings for the Bundesliga. There aren’t the same number of name-brand teams or players to feature, nor the recent history that would draw a lot of the fans from the recent soccer boom in immediately. It’s going to take time for Fox to build an audience. (One of the reasons why it was puzzling to see Fox really fail to put any substantial promotion to the Bundesliga whatsoever this summer and not announce a schedule until the very last minute.) To get trumped 16-1 in the ratings by the top EPL game that day shows that it’s going to take quite a bit of time and effort to do so.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/bundesliga-got-off-woeful-start-fox-sports-1.html

How many guys from the (supposed) first division scored late goals to beat both the Netherlands and Germany over the summer?
No really, does the 2. Bundesliga count? I don't know how it's organized technically. Is a 2. Bundesliga player considered to be a "Bundesliga" (no qualifier) player?

But even beyond that, does it matter how many goals or who he scored them against, how many games that he's playing are going to be on Fox? If 0, why would they promote him? "Here's 9 players we'll show you and 1 you'll never see!"

xbhaskarx

I'm not always super sarcastic.

Do you always take shit way too seriously?

Have you considered the possibility that I recognize that Union Berlin is not in the Bundesliga and perhaps don't really even consider Bobby Wood to be one of the 10 best players in Germany across all divisions?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Does anyone else ever win other than Bayern Munich

Do you always take shit way too seriously?

Have you considered the possibility that I recognize that Union Berlin is not in the Bundesliga and perhaps don't really even consider Bobby Wood to be one of the 10 best players in Germany across all divisions?
I recognized your post was a joke and was trying to play the straight man to lob you up a softball. You legged out a double.

But no really, does the 2. Bundesliga count?

RBH

Fox Sports, the sports division of US broadcaster Fox, has added eight additional live weekly games from the Bundesliga to Fox’s 2016 broadcast schedule.

Fox signed a five-year deal in 2013 to air the Bundesliga from the start of the 2015/16 season, and the new expanded agreement means the pay-TV network will now air a total of 306 live games from Germany’s elite soccer division on its FS1, FS2, Fox Soccer Plus and Fox channels across the 2015/16 season. Fox Deportes, the network’s Spanish language sports channel, will show 105 live games across the Bundesliga season.

Every game broadcast live on Fox, FS1 or FS2 is set to be streamed live on desktop computers via the channel’s websites, as well as on the Fox Sports Go mobile app, while all Fox Soccer Plus matches will be streamed on the Fox Soccer 2 Go app.

“In order to maximise exposure for the league, its stars and quality of play, we’ve worked with our stations and affiliates to identify as many broadcast opportunities as possible, and we’re really excited to offer eight live Bundesliga matches in the second half of the season,” said David Nathanson, Fox Sports’ head of business operations. “We see the league having tremendous growth potential in the US, and we’re committed to that goal long-term.”

Jorg Daubitzer, the managing director of DFL Sports Enterprises, the commercial arm for the German Football League (DFL), said: “We are very excited with the kickoff of the Fox partnership this summer.

“By adding eight live Bundesliga matches to the schedule in 2016, Bundesliga fans in the US will enjoy even greater access to some of Europe's most exciting soccer. With such a strong global partner, the Bundesliga is positioned for further growth while connecting even better with our fans around the world.”

At this point of the season, Bayern Munich sits atop the Bundesliga standings at 8-0-0, followed by Borussia Dortmund (5-2-1) and Schalke 04 (5-1-2). Bayern boasts two of the loop's leading scorers in Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Muller. Lewandowski leads all Bundesliga scorers with 12 goals to date, with teammate Muller ranking third with eight. Sandwiched between is Dortmund's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang with 10.
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/fox_sports_in_bundesliga_rights_deal
http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/...ht-live-bundesliga-matches-to-fox-broadcast-s

CRuNR48UsAA2SQX.png:large

These will be on the main FOX channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom