• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
sF9UX8e.jpg

Tournament Schedule - see the Order and Schedule of Play for specific matches

Men's Singles

Defending champion - Marin Cilic
celic-trophy.jpg

Title favorites:
7HFIHqb.jpg

Novak Djokovic - the current Australian Open and Wimbledon champion is looking to win his third major of the season
Andy Murray - the 2012 champion has had a very good Summer, winning Rogers Cup
Roger Federer - after defending his Cincinnati title, the red hot and evergreen maestro is trying to capture his 6th trophy in New York City
Stanislas Wawrinka - the French Open champion hasn't had good results leading up to the tournament, but he's really turning on he's A-game at slams
Kei Nishikori - last year's finalist would want to get his first major title.

Draw:
l2RXfCd.png

8VHsVBt.png

Women's Singles
Defending champion - Serena Williams
580x386.jpg

Title favorites:
Serena Williams - the 3 times defending champion is shooting for the legendary calendar year grand slam (would be first since Steffi Graf's achievement in 1988) and - even better - her fifth major in a row
Victoria Azarenka - her form has been poor this year, nevertheless she's been to the final twice and is capable of fighting really hard against Serena
Simona Halep - hasn't had the best year in majors, but very solid overall
Maria Sharapova - hasn't played a single tournament since Wimbledon, but her big babe tennis is difficult to handle for early round opponents, so might play herself into form
Belinda Bencic - the Rogers Cup and Eastourne champion is looking to be the first teenage slam champ since Sharapova won here 9 years ago

Draw:
3sezfTX.png

9auHcyu.png

FAQ:
Q: Why should I care?
A: Because tennis is an amazing sport and incredibly fun to watch and US Open is one of the 4 biggest tournaments in the sport.

Q: What is this GOAT thing and that weak era stuff that tennis fans always argue about?
A: Don't ask, you don't want to get involved in that.

Q: What's the best shot in the men's game?
A: Benoit Paire's forehand.

Q: What's a forehand?
A: Here's a glossary of tennis terminology.

Q: What's the best shot in the women's game?
A: Sara Errani's serve.

Q: This |OT| sucks!
A: I know, sorry. :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Federer is weak era mental midget, Djokovic stronk Serbian GOAT in cheese and tennis, Muzza4lyfe, something something Nadal not actually relevant any more.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Possible quarters:
Men's:
Stan v Murray
Fed v Berdych

Djokovic v Nadal
Nishikori v Ferrer

Women's:
Serena v Pliskova
Sharapova v Ivanovic

Kvitova v Wozniacki
Safarova v Halep

I grouped them by halves. Sharapova is in Serena's half lol. Girl can't catch a break.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No way Ferrer makes his quarter, dude almost pulled out and is clearly only carrying on to defend as many points as possible. Pretty sure it'll be Kei-Cilic, which will be an interesting rematch.

Niraj

Hence possible rather than probable. Wouldn't be shocked if Nadal went out to Coric in the first round either.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hence possible rather than probable. Wouldn't be shocked if Nadal went out to Coric in the first round either.

Nah, I definitely would. Nadal barely lost to Lopez and Lopez was playing absolutely great with the sort of game Nadal struggles with anyway. Coric has absolutely nothing to threaten Nadal with, he's the player that at the moment can only wait for UEs and Nadal may be less himself, but he still doesn't give free UEs when not under pressure.

szaromir

Banned
I can't believe that the argument for Nadal is that he's opponent is a pusher, though yeah he should beat Coric handily.

Djokovic got gifted a cakewalk draw as usual, it's almost surreal at this point.

Niraj

Nah, I definitely would. Nadal barely lost to Lopez and Lopez was playing absolutely great with the sort of game Nadal struggles with anyway. Coric has absolutely nothing to threaten Nadal with, he's the player that at the moment can only wait for UEs and Nadal may be less himself, but he still doesn't give free UEs when not under pressure.

I'm not basing it on anything more than a feeling :p I think he's more susceptible in the early rounds to a surprising loss than later on. I think that's really his only danger match until the quarters though. I don't expect Raonic to be trouble should Nadal (well, and Raonic) reach that point. The quarters should be an easy win for Djokovic, but hard to say. He hasn't looked stellar these past few weeks, just good enough, so if Nadal can build a head of steam in terms of confidence it could be a competitive match, though I'd still think Djokovic would win that. Maybe 4 fairly close sets instead of 3.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe that the argument for Nadal is that he's opponent is a pusher, though yeah he should beat Coric handily.

My point is they're both pushers but Nadal is a better one. In the battle of two pushers, the best pusher wins.

Djokovic got gifted a cakewalk draw as usual, it's almost surreal at this point.

Yup. The draw difficulties are inversely proportional to the top four seeds, Djokovic's is super easy, Fed's moderate, Murray's moderate to hard, and Kei's ridiculous.

LuuKyK

Maria's draw from hell, people easily forget that her R1 opponent (Gavrilova) was the last player to beat her on hard courts (Indian Wells). Also she has her wrist injured (has been icing it all week long) so it will be even trickier, if she plays at all. :(

Also lol Genie

https://instagram.com/p/62-h2nKfHo/

Niraj

That women's draw is super lopsided. That top half is rough.

Oh and thanks for posting the thread szaromir

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I sure hope so. Tennis desperately needs a new teen breakthrough story. Its has been too long since that Sharapova Wimbledon run.

Needs faster courts/lighter balls.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
our only hope is that djokovic finds the way to lose another final. unfortunately the two players he will have the least problems with are federer and murray.

the only good thing about this joke of a draw is that at least we are guaranteed that djokovic and nadal will not both be in the semis. of course nadal would not have been there anyway, but it's good to be certain.

our only hope is that djokovic finds the way to lose another final. unfortunately the two players he will have the least problems with are federer and murray.

the only good thing about this joke of a draw is that at least we are guaranteed that djokovic and nadal will not both be in the semis. of course nadal would not have been there anyway, but it's good to be certain.
Our only hope, huh.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Djokovic is 0-1 in US Open finals against Muzza.

Just sayin'.

He's also 0-1 against Federer.

Diamond

Thanks for the thread szaromir. I really liked last year surprising scenario, but I guess it's too much to ask for that again. At least the last M1000 showed Murray and Federer can challenge Djokovic so we could have interesting last matches even if there's no upsets.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Djokovic is 0-1 in US Open finals against Muzza.

Just sayin'.

He's also 0-1 against Federer.

that was when federer ruled the roost and murray was on a post-olympic gold rush. neither has beaten djokovic in a big match in a long time. the closest was cincinnati this year, but only because djokovic was going for a career masters and not because it was such a big tournament in its own right.

Radwanska/Keys is a probable R3 match, winner to get buzzsawed by Serena. That was a Wimbledon QF. Really stacked top half in the women's draw, so a good opportunity for the likes of Kvitova, Halep, Azarenka and Wozniacki in the bottom half to go deep. Muguruza hasn't been in good form but this is a real chance for her to pick up a good haul of ranking points too.

Murray v Kyrgios R1 is quite tasty. Really good draw for Djokovic, and an interesting 2nd quarter with Kei, Cilic, Tsonga, Ferrer, Chardy, Monfils and Dimitrov all in it. Federer only really has Kohlschreiber to worry about before the SFs if Berdych's recent form is anything to go by. Well, unless Gasquet plays out of his mind.

No doubt the draws are still rigged in some fashion....
Kyrgios vs his kryptonite (Murray) in round 1??
Cmon no way that doesnt happen if not for his Stan gf comments.

If theyre going to continue rigging parts of the draw....why not put Nadal in Fed's quarter?
We've never seen those two play at the US Open and time is running out.

sam777

This is it, this is where Rafa makes the comeback takes the slam. I really wish he does but he isn't.

If not I would like a newbie to win a slam or Murray.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nadal not even listed among favorites anymore, what the hell has happened to this guy?

His odds are basically the same as Kei's, so I feel it's slightly mean to exclude him. Really, though, this is the Novak/Andy/Roger show with Stan as an outsider. Everyone else is above 20/1.

szaromir

Banned
His odds are basically the same as Kei's, so I feel it's slightly mean to exclude him. Really, though, this is the Novak/Andy/Roger show with Stan as an outsider. Everyone else is above 20/1.

His odds are a bit lower than Nishikori's and I limited the favorites to 5 players on both tours. And with matches like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_8dbp_BR4

It's no wonder that Kei is considered as a more likely player to win.

http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/us-open/mens/winner

Peru

Sharapova is possibly still injured, is the word today. At this point I hope for off-season magic and a better '16.

Also 'according to plan' Bouchard is now working with...... Connors, Jimmy Connors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom