• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

Sharapova has pulled out of the US Open due to an injury.

The signs were there, not too surprised she's out. It's a shame it ended this way though. Odd, poor season. Not for lack of effort, but the whole season seems to have been planned out poorly

i'm kinda warming up to the WTA, i mean the level of play is still absolutely terrible but having players to root for helps immensely.

Don't need your condescending bullshit support

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
ESPN picks

Men's: Djokovic x7, Federer x5
Women's: Serena x10, Azarenka x2
Men's Dark Horse: Tsonga x5, Dimitrov x4, Lopez, Sock, and Gulbis all at 1
Women's Dark Horse: Azarenka x9, Jankovic, Keys, and Svitolina all at 1

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dimitrov and Tsonga are both plausible non top-8'rs to make QFs, and Lopez is a definitely an outside pick but at least one I can understand. Picking Sock to beat Wawrinka and either Simon or Kanderson back to back is crazy talk. Some desperate American commentator there. Gulbis also stands no chance, I'd be entirely unsurprised if he lost to Bedene in R1.

Evert has also been picking Federer to win almost every slam for the last five years, you think she'd have given up by now.

EDIT: lol, everyone who picked Dimtrov as a dark horse picked Federer to win, we have some desperate, desperate people here. Can we please stop with the Dimitrov-Federer comparison?

EDIT2: even better, Tandon, with a 0% track record this year, has picked Federer/Azarenka/Gulbis/Keys. Death knell for all of them. I don't understand how she gets paid to do this.

Not really. Her half of the draw is stacked and she's been wildly inconsistent in all slams this year (i.e., a lot of close calls).

I don't think you can call being undefeated "inconsistent" under ANY circumstances, no matter what happens in the individual matches.

I don't think you can call being undefeated "inconsistent" under ANY circumstances, no matter what happens in the individual matches.

She's had quite a lot of early round scares this year. Yes, undefeated, but it's a case of her record not exactly reflective of how tight a lot of her matches have been.

A few calls here and there and she might not have won a single slam this year.

LuuKyK

Maria :/

This has been such a shit year for her simce the Aus Open final.

But it was NID she was going to withdraw. She simply doesnt play injured anymore after her shoulder surgery. It is the right thing to do anyway.

Hope she comes back stronger next year.

Niraj

Dimitrov and Tsonga are both plausible non top-8'rs to make QFs, and Lopez is a definitely an outside pick but at least one I can understand. Picking Sock to beat Wawrinka and either Simon or Kanderson back to back is crazy talk. Some desperate American commentator there. Gulbis also stands no chance, I'd be entirely unsurprised if he lost to Bedene in R1.

Evert has also been picking Federer to win almost every slam for the last five years, you think she'd have given up by now.

EDIT: lol, everyone who picked Dimtrov as a dark horse picked Federer to win, we have some desperate, desperate people here. Can we please stop with the Dimitrov-Federer comparison?

EDIT2: even better, Tandon, with a 0% track record this year, has picked Federer/Azarenka/Gulbis/Keys. Death knell for all of them. I don't understand how she gets paid to do this.

Personally I found the Tennis.com picks to be pretty reasonable overall.

Ricker

So my bracket is fucked now...I had Maria all the way to the semi finals,now it will be Kasatkina...hehe.(didnt check the bracket yet,anyway I am in Canada so I can make my choice but can't win the contest prize)

It's finally here,good Slam everyone...

EDIT: nm,had time to redo the bracket with Sharapova's replacement,she is going down in the first round to feisty Gravilova now :p

Niraj

Cibulkova-Ivanovic in the first round, seems like that one could be a tight one. Looks like Paire might grab the first set from Nishikori.

TTG

Apparently Direct TV/ESPN are covering all the courts for no additional fee, that's nice. Also, Ivanovic just wilted dramatically, bummer.

Niraj

Well, Ana is out, rough first round draw for her. 6-3 3-6 6-3 win for Cibulkova.

Really good win for Lauren Davis over Heather Watson, 7-6, 7-6. Competitive match but Davis was too solid during the important points while Watson's forehand let her down. She has a tough opponent in Ekaterina Makarova in round 2, but if she can win through, she'll have a great opportunity to go on a run since she's in the section vacated by Sharapova.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
fifth set in nishikori-paire. even if the samurai comes through here i can't see him going that far in the tournament. djokovic really does has a walkover to the final.

szaromir

Banned
Nishikori proably really regrets that 1st match point. Even if he pulls through, it's gonna be physically very tough for him when he's already pushed to 5 sets in the opening round.

Niraj

Two match points. Kei really blew that 4th set tiebreak.

And he just needed the one. Terrible.

szaromir

Banned
Two match points. Kei really blew that 4th set tiebreak.

And he just needed the one. Terrible.

He couldn't do anything on the second one, Paire sent a bomb there. Fantastic 5th set by the Frenchman, it's a shame though that you can just expect him to throw a tantrum in some middle round and clown away a match to just about anyone.

Niraj

He couldn't do anything on the second one, Paire sent a bomb there. Fantastic 5th set by the Frenchman, it's a shame though that you can just expect him to throw a tantrum in some middle round and clown away a match to just about anyone.

Yeah nothing he could do in that last game really. I forget what point it was, but there was one in particular I was thinking of in the tiebreak. Point ended with both of them at the net and Paire passed him. I think that one was winnable though I could be mixing it up. Some really weak backhands too.

Kifimbo

I didn't see the match but I suspect Kei wasn't completely fit. Ugh.

Kei hurt himself during the Montreal semi-final against Murray. Because he was barely trying, the crowd booed him before they realize he was hurt. I guess he didn't have enough time to fully heal.

Kensuke

Kei hurt himself during the Montreal semi-final against Murray. Because he was barely trying, the crowd booed him before they realize he was hurt. I guess he didn't have enough time to fully heal.

Yeah, that was what I was referring to. I was already worried he wouldn't be at top form for the US Open after Montreal. Losing that 4th set after being 6-4 up in the tiebreak is very disappointing though. This loss will hurt his ranking quite a bit too. He'll probably drop 2-3 ranks.

A french teenager named Dodin just took out Jankovic

Congrats on winning the US Open series, Pliskova.

She won the US Open series, then loses at the US Open 6-2, 6-1 to a scrub. That's disappointing. I think the US Open committee rigs the US Open Series for non-contenders to win it so they never have to pay out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom