• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater Developers Talk Western Launch & More

Rymuth

Can you give us an overview of the game’s set-up?

Yoshimura: God Eater Resurrection takes place in a hub, and from here, players will be able to choose different missions before leaving to fight the Arigami. In battle, it’s the main player plus three NPCs, so you can play alone while still experiencing that multiplayer space. Weapons also have the ability to transform as you fight the Arigami, and this has become a trope of the God Eater series.
How does the team battle system of Resurrection compare to God Eater 2?

Yoshimura: God Eater Resurrection is the first series, and there’s also God Eater 2: Rage Burst, which is a different series. The fighting mechanics and systems change, so there’s a lot of variety in the gameplay. For western players, they can play Resurrection first before stepping up to a more kinetic experience with God Eater 2: Rage Burst. The core gameplay is the same, of course, and if you play Resurrection before Rage Burst or vice versa, you should be OK.

In terms of localization, will the game be fully localized or can we expect Japanese voice acting with English subtitles?

Yoshimura: All the Japanese voices will be localised into English, and you will have subtitles as well.

Will there be the option to still have Japanese voice with English subtitles?

Yoshimura: It’s just going to be pure English.

Thank you, Playstation Lifestyle

Hunt me down if old

Fdkn

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.gif

I'm buying them anyway but this game needed japanese dub more than almost any other game ._.

Tohsaka

Bleh, dub only. Bamco is dropping the ball after so many releases with Japanese voices the last year or so.

Can't wait!

A little a shame that it won't have dual-audio for those that want the Japanese voices but I'm glad they are going all-in on God Eater and giving this a dub. I expected bare bones after such a long wait.

Kudo

Suddenly all interest gone.
Is the anime even dubbed yet? I guess they plan to use same actors if they do both.

sublimit

Banned

Bummer but honestly i'm just thankful we're getting the games.

swtmvsx.jpg

Jakku

I bet it's the same issue as with Dangan Ronpa Despair Girls, not enough room on the Vita cart. Only NISA KNEW that having Japanese audio was a total and complete deal breaker for some people, so they made sure there was an optional patch up for Japanese audio.

I guess Namco didn't feel it was as needed to do so?

RK128

I'm more surprised then annoyed honestly, considering more or less all of Bamco's Vita titles are JP voiced and got English Subtitles. Now they are suddenly saying "Okay, we are going to go PURE ENGLISH with everything now :D?!"....quite a big shift from just being happy with giving us Engerish translations in 2014 :).

Still, this shows the amount of effort they want to put into God Eater, that way they can ensure it hits with everyone and that it launches off to a great start.

I could see them selling the JP dub as 1-2 dollar DLC at the games launch or giving it out post-release as a free ad-on due to space reasons (that was the case with Neptuina ReBirth 3; the game was so packed full of data, that you had to get the JP voices as a download).

Considering these two have been out in Japan for a while, I doubt is space reasons but who knows.

sensui-tomo

We should first find out if its a voice actor issue in japan, sometimes they want outrageous fees for using their voice in another region or flat out refuse it. Part of the Contracts.

Falk

that puzzling face
Still, this shows the amount of effort they want to put into God Eater, that way they can ensure it hits with everyone and that it launches off to a great start.

Quite often it's also a case of regional rights. Depends on a whole load of factors.

Sometimes it's outright cheaper to go record English voices.

(Not saying it's the case here - I don't know - but yeah)

ed
We should first find out if its a voice actor issue in japan, sometimes they want outrageous fees for using their voice in another region or flat out refuse it. Part of the Contracts.

DID YOU RAELLY HAVE TO POST RIGHT BEFORE I DID

GOD

sensui-tomo

Quite often it's also a case of regional rights. Depends on a whole load of factors.

GOD

I love you too Falk.

RK128

GOD

That is a good point; maybe the JP VA's wanted to be paid again for the western versions of Resurrection and 2 Rage Burst, so they decided to do a full English VA for the game.

Tohsaka

I bet it's the same issue as with Dangan Ronpa Despair Girls, not enough room on the Vita cart. Only NISA KNEW that having Japanese audio was a total and complete deal breaker for some people, so they made sure there was an optional patch up for Japanese audio.

I guess Namco didn't feel it was as needed to do so?
Looking at the file sizes on the Japanese PSN (3.2/3.3GB for each game, that's probably an issue.

I doubt we will find out what the reason is, if it's a contractual thing they will usually not say anything about it.

Rymuth

That is a good point; maybe the JP VA's wanted to be paid again for the western versions of Resurrection and 2 Rage Burst, so they decided to do a full English VA for the game.

Seriously? You learn something new every day. =o

sensui-tomo

Why not pure Japanese (with only sub) so you can save money for more localization...

me and falk have the reasons above. In japan VA work is actually considered a good job unlike here (unless you're laura bailey, Nolan north, Troy baker, Jennifer Hale, Tara Strong)

ReaperXL7

A year in which Namco is actually releasing these in the west at all.

I'm assuming they will be using the same actors for the game/anime. Has there been any news on them releasing the anime here?

I'm super hyped for this as I have been a big fan of the series since burst came out originally. I'm just grateful Bamco is finally bringing them over.

Hubb

Well not optimal, but it doesn't bother me. I just want to know what Quarter this game is launching in.

Tohsaka

Since it's on PC, I can only imagine that undubbing this game to Japanese will only be a matter of time.

Well, there's no Japanese Windows version of either game, so unless they make it available for purchase on the Japanese Steam store, it seems unlikely that an undub will be possible.

koutoru

Well, there's no Japanese Windows version of either game, so unless they make it available for purchase on the Japanese Steam store, it seems unlikely that an undub will be possible.
Just use the voice files from the Japanese psp version, you don't need a Japanese steam version.

tuffy

I'm assuming they will be using the same actors for the game/anime. Has there been any news on them releasing the anime here?
Aniplex of America licensed the anime.

But they'll have to finish making all the episodes before can be released elsewhere.

koutoru

There's no PSP version of Rage Burst (just the initial release) or Resurrection, unfortunately.
Yes, that's correct. In terms of Rage Burst however, most of the voiced dialogue is the same with the exception of the extra chapter.

Undubbing most of the game with the JPN psp voice files could still be a possibility.

Why not pure Japanese (with only sub) so you can save money for more localization...

Because the people who are fine with a pure Japanese dub, are fewer than the people who are fine with a pure English dub here in the West. It's been said in multiple interviews over the last year or 2 by different localization companies, that the potential market is clearly more in favor of a language they can understand, rather than one they can't. We also know nothing about why they aren't using the Japanese dub yet, it could be money related or it could be the studio just flat out telling them no. If it's the studio telling them no, then I'd rather have an English dub only over not having the games at all. Just throwing more money at the studio isn't always a solution either, especially when it's a miracle we're even seeing these games in the first place and Bamco likely didn't want to throw everything at unknown sales potential here.

Top Bottom