• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY banned someone based on his real name

Detective

I really don't know what to say.

Some of you posters made some amazing posts with real thoughts and passion.
Like you really know what you are adressing. Open minded, understanding. Am not dismissing others, it's their opinions, but I encourage them to read and understand others.

It's a big planet and we all share it somehow.

It does not matter where you from, what color you are , what you believe in. You are a human. Just like me. And that's enough for me to respect you as if you were one of my own.

People have different cultures, language's and believes. All should be respected. Radicals are all over the place in every country. But they do not reflect their people and religion or believes.

If 1, 2 Or 1000 did something wrong, am not gonna judge the whole country for it. A person who did something wrong should be held responsible. That's it.

There are still people Who are willing to see outside of their own house and understand others.

Happy To be apart of this community and To read some of your amazing words and thoughts.

Big planet, and we all share it.

Apologize for the long post.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Putting "jihad" in your username is really unwise whether that's your real name or not, frankly.

The anger directed towards Sony here for this is ridiculous.

Its crazy how sony fanboys will actually defend Sony over this issue.

Ushay

I have no words. Who would have thought Sony would have such backwards rules in place. I really feel for this guy as he has invested so much time into his account, and gets banned for having a word they perceive to be inappropriate.

Jihad means a noble struggle, it can translate to everyday life actions and isnt always associated with war. I find it pretty racist and shallow minded of Sony support to do this. Will I get banned for having Crusader in my name?

I hope someone high up reads this and gets it sorted.

hesido

New update:

I don't understand why Sony didn't do this in first place...

On a side note, the trophies gone missing doesn't give me confidence in Sony's ability to let us change our usernames.

They truly are using username as primary key on their tables, instead of a static unique hash given at the start of the sign up. What an oversight.

Rozart

So glad that he managed to get his account back! Happy to see the gaming media and gamers themselves creating enough of a fuss to make sure that this ridulous mess is rightfully settled.

HMD

This reminds me when european racists tried to make "Taharrush" a thing. Taharrush is the Arabic word for harassment but it was coined by racists to give it an Arab connotation.

I don't know what I'm trying to say here, but to have a deep beautiful language vilified like that is just a sad sight.

test_account

XP-39C²
I doubt it. Shit is probably autocensored. I don't think you'd be able to get past account creation.
I doubt that concidering that there are a lot of words starting with or containing "shit" in japanese, and it should apply to usernames as well. Shittake isnt a japanese word though, its either Shiitake or Shitake.

I'm incredulous at this. In a globalised society, this person is being punished for his legal name.

If I was him, I wouldn't stand for this. Bigoted approach from a backwards company.

But the meaning war... I mean, what kind of sick parent do you have to be to name your child war? Even if it is not a religious war, or not even a physical war, I can hardly see how that is a positive name for a child. Anyway, it should be allowed to carry one's real name in a community. You don't get to choose your real name. So I feel Sony should lift the ban.

It means to struggle and succeed. Maybe you should open your mind, you close-minded bigot. Calling his parents sick is the same kind of thinking that every Muslim has terrorist inclinations as you're conferring on them anything but an innocent intention.

Uhhhhhh.... how does the fact that he lost access to all the games he bought even remotely acceptable even if he's uhhh... not a "hardcore" gamer?

I wasn't suggesting that, I just meant to suggest that he most likely hasn't lost that much. I did state that doesn't mean that it isn't wrong for him to have lost anything at all, but I think the amount is important too.

Especially if this were a legal matter. Taking Sony to court over £25 of Black Ops DLC? That seems like a waste of time. But if it were thousands of dollars worth of downloadable games, I feel that that changes things a little. It seems what's more at stake here is likely to be his trophies and connection with the account, unless he bought all of his games digitally or an especially large amount of DLC.

I also made that comment because I wanted to highlight that his personal comment is listed as 'who gives a fuck?', while it's not a crime to write that as your personal comment, it might underpin why the support techs were less likely to help him. If I was moderating users and I had the task to deal with a report of someone who had what I considered to be an offensive word in their username, and accompanied by offensive language in his personal comment, I doubt I would respond favourably either. It's framing, essentially.

Top Bottom