• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 World Cup of Hockey |OT| World Cashgrab of Who Cares - Sponsored by SAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
looooool

BlMyUdj.jpg

I was asking myself which game I should watch between the WCH Final with allstar teams or the Montreal vs Washington pre-season game with basicaclly their farm teams on the ice...

To me, this tells a lot on my interest in the WCH even though I watched most of the tournament...

Entropia

No One Remembers
A Europe vs. Russia finals would've been amazing.

But, I Just don't feel like there's anything at stake in these games. And Canada has been so dominant that I just don't care. I've typically tuned in to watch the first and second period and then shut it off.

I dunno, I watched the third period of Russia-Canada (was at a restaurant) and thoroughly enjoyed that display of domination. The skill level on display is not something you see in regular hockey games.

Socreges

Banned
It's very high level hockey. Very fun to watch.

The problem is the lack of fan excitement, both inside the stadium and outside. Mine and yours. And that can be attributed to two things, I think:

- No one really gives a shit about beating a 'Team Europe' or winning in a tournament that contains such teams
- It all feels like some poor Olympics substitute, orchestrated for NHL profit and not national pride. As much as the NHL and Rogers want to pretend otherwise

zroid

Banned
It seemed like Canada vs USA and Russia both had pretty high fan engagement, same with all the games involving Team NA. Matchups definitely are important in this kind of tournament. All potential excitement has been sucked out of the finals.

Canada vs Team NA would have been a riot. Even USA vs Team NA. Such a shame...

Socreges

Banned
It seemed like Canada vs USA and Russia both had pretty high fan engagement, same with all the games involving Team NA. Matchups definitely are important in this kind of tournament. All potential excitement has been sucked out of the finals.

Canada vs Team NA would have been a riot. Even USA vs Team NA. Such a shame...
I think you may have missed the context.

Socreges

Banned
Hm? I wasn't disagreeing with you or anything. Just my two cents.
Ah I thought you were suggesting the only difference was the matchup. Of course that does matter, and many fans in an arena can get behind Canada vs Russia, but the overall lack of interest in this tournament pales.

zroid

Banned
Ah I thought you were suggesting the only difference was the matchup. Of course that does matter, and many fans in an arena can get behind Canada vs Russia, but the overall lack of interest in this tournament pales.

Definitely. Although like I've said before, I find it unfortunate that people want to reject this tournament off-hand largely because it isn't the Olympics. There isn't anything inherently sacred about the Olympics, and it's problematic that it's treated as such. The IOC hasn't earned that admiration whatsoever.

Socreges

Banned
Definitely. Although like I've said before, I find it unfortunate that people want to reject this tournament off-hand largely because it isn't the Olympics. There isn't anything inherently sacred about the Olympics, and it's problematic that it's treated as such. The IOC hasn't earned that admiration whatsoever.
It isn't about the IOC. No one cheers for Canada during the Olympics because they admire the IOC. It's about tradition and routine. It's about integrity of the tournament. The World Cup was previously known as the Canada Cup and has been held sporadically since 1996. There hasn't been one for 12 years. And now it has a new gimmick format with two teams that undermine the entire idea of players competing for their country. Whereas the Olympics are held routinely every 4 years, as they have for some time, and have the attention of most of the world. They also supplant the NHL in the middle of the season, rather than being held at a time when the majority of fans aren't yet engaged with hockey.

Edit - put differently, if the NHL players are pulled out of the Olympics, the World Cup is held routinely every 4 years, and they remove the gimmick teams and put in 2 nations...I could see it getting much more traction

zroid

Banned
It isn't about the IOC. No one cheers for Canada during the Olympics because they admire the IOC. It's about tradition and routine. It's about integrity of the tournament. The World Cup was previously known as the Canada Cup and has been held sporadically since 1996. There hasn't been one for 12 years. And now it has a new gimmick format with two teams that undermine the entire idea of players competing for their country. Whereas the Olympics are held routinely every 4 years, as they have for some time, and have the attention of most of the world. They also supplant the NHL in the middle of the season, rather than being held at a time when the majority of fans aren't yet engaged with hockey.

Edit - put differently, if the NHL players are pulled out of the Olympics, the World Cup is held routinely every 4 years, and they remove the gimmick teams and put in 2 nations...I could see it getting much more traction

Yeah I understand the reality of this. It's more that I wish people, especially NHL fans, would think about why it would be beneficial to fans, players, and virtually everyone except the (corrupt) IOC if the World Cup supplanted the Olympics as the premier international tournament. It's disappointing to me but not something I expect per se.

zroid

Banned
If Europe wins this game do you think USA Hockey will conclude that the best strategy for beating Canada is to build a team with lots of older players?

I realize how dumb I sound, but I legit think Canada's throwing this game.

They seem as though they're merely trying to make it look like they're playing hard.

It's one thing to play poorly and/or lose a game, but they're actively pulling up at the last minute both offensively and defensively.

zroid

Banned

They seem as though they're merely trying to make it look like they're playing hard.

It's one thing to play poorly and/or lose a game, but they're actively pulling up at the last minute both offensively and defensively.

they looked equally bad in game 1, to be fair

not really sure what the deal is but eh. i wouldn't be surprised if it's just lack of motivation / injury prevention mode.

Kifimbo

This team with Keith + Subban + Letang instead of Bouwmeester, Burns and Muzzin would be much better. Especially the transition game. And Ekblad instead of Weber.

Boney

Banned
Man Chile's President had an announcement and the match was interrupted and just ended now.

France's goalie was a monster. Can't believe they tied with 5 minutes on the clock. Big bummer for las marcianitas since they were playing great.

Whoops, seems this isn't the woman's hockey World Cup thread >.>

zroid

Banned
Man Chile's President had an announcement and the match was interrupted and just ended now.

France's goalie was a monster. Can't believe they tied with 5 minutes on the clock. Big bummer for las marcianitas since they were playing great.

There's a women's hockey world cup going on right now? Link?

edit: oohhhh field hockey haha

I would've love to see a Women's World Cup of Hockey.

Where is it being held?

it's a work brother

Quick

Banned

It's okay, it might as well be. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom