• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take2 Exec: GTA IV sales breakdown per platform are 50/50

Nafai1123 said:
No, what he said was 50/50 360:pS3 and 50/50 US/World. The 50/50 US/World numbers are cumulative console sales (as I read it anyways).

Oh ok well actually that makes sense, I read it 50/50 PS3:360 WW and 50/50 PS3:360 US, but obviously I read it wrong.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
AranhaHunter said:
But he did say it was about 50/50 in the US as well. Hmmm.

I didn't read it like that, I read it as him saying the sales we're around 50/50, US vs International.

Edit - Beaten, but anyway I think that is right.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Link said:
It would still be wrong. I don't have the numbers for Europe handy, but I can guarantee you the PS3 version didn't outsell the 360 version 2:1 over there.
And like what was already brought up, what it actually sold has nothing to do with the OP.

Nafai1123

Banned
Link said:
It would still be wrong. I don't have the numbers for Europe handy, but I can guarantee you the PS3 version didn't outsell the 360 version 2:1 over there.

I'm not saying they are right, just that you shouldn't assume they are wrong based on US numbers.

donny2112

donny2112 said:
U.S. as of the end of 2008

360 - 3.29m
PS3 - 1.89m

Japan (Famitsu)

360 - 63K
PS3 - 196K

U.K. (ELSPA Sales Awards)

360 - 600K-999K (>600K in the first month)
PS3 - 600K-999K (>600K in three months)

Rhindle

From earlier today:

Platform 2009 2008
PC 24 % 10 %
Wii 19 % 19 %
X360 18 % 21 %
PS3 15 % 8 %
PS2 9 % 25 %
PSP 8 % 13 %
DS+GBA 5 % 3 %
Other 2 % 1 %

GTA IV accounts for most of the X360/PS3 revenues for 2008, so it's pretty close to 50/50.

Other publishers are generally showing a somewhat wider platform gap, but there is some amount of "Playstation franchise" effect going on with GTA.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Link said:
I'm not basing it on just US numbers.

Remember they said it's 50/50 US vs International, not US vs EU, tbh it's really not too hard to believe that, outside of NA the PS3 is a very popular platform.

Link

The Autumn Wind
lowrider007 said:
Remember they said it's 50/50 US vs International, not US vs EU, tbh it's really not to hard to believe that, outside of NA the PS3 is a very popular platform.
In what dimension are you basing this?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Seriously guys, it's 50/50 to TTWO because to them, shipped=sold. The ACTUAL sell rate to consumers on each console isn't 50/50 no matter how bad you want to fudge the numbers to account for strange places on earth.

donny2112

lowrider007 said:

And we have those numbers. Outsold the 360 version 3:1. PS3+360 is only about ~5% of the U.S. total, though.

Edit:
Also, Link said "very popular." :p

Grayman said:
so best selling PS3 game?

In the U.S., I do believe so. Probably world-wide, too.

Banned
Rhindle said:
From earlier today:

Platform 2009 2008
PC 24 % 10 %
Wii 19 % 19 %
X360 18 % 21 %
PS3 15 % 8 %
PS2 9 % 25 %
PSP 8 % 13 %
DS+GBA 5 % 3 %
Other 2 % 1 %

GTA IV accounts for most of the X360/PS3 revenues for 2008, so it's pretty close to 50/50.

Other publishers are generally showing a somewhat wider platform gap, but there is some amount of "Playstation franchise" effect going on with GTA.

Most of the sales for GTAIV are from 2008. How is that pretty close to 50/50?

Pachael

Rhindle said:
From earlier today:

Platform 2009 2008
PC 24 % 10 %
Wii 19 % 19 %
X360 18 % 21 %
PS3 15 % 8 %
PS2 9 % 25 %
PSP 8 % 13 %
DS+GBA 5 % 3 %
Other 2 % 1 %

Eh, that's 'three months to 2009/2008', so you're really looking at just one quarter.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/TakeTwo-Interactive-Software-bw-14597597.html

So last year in 1Q 08 for the three months ending Jan 31 2008 the publishing revenues are as displayed.

If I recall correctly, GTAIV was not released till April 29 2008. So... we should be looking at results for 3Q 08 for GTAIV impact.

EDIT: Heh. Karma also catches the obvious. 21% v 8% isn't 50/50, it's 2:1.

EDIT 2: Perhaps using the FY 08 figures will give the argument more impact, but there isn't a 'breakdown' of sales that we all want.

Three months ended October 31, For the Years Ended October 31,
OTHER INFORMATION 2008 2007 2008 2007

Total revenue mix
Publishing 75% 75% 80% 70%
Distribution 25% 25% 20% 30%

Geographic revenue mix
North America 65% 74% 65% 75%
International 35% 26% 35% 25%

Publishing revenue platform mix
Sony PLAYSTATION 3 35% 5% 34% 10%
Microsoft Xbox 360 28% 44% 39% 30%
Nintendo Wii 13% 11% 9% 5%
Sony PlayStation 2 8% 14% 8% 26%
Sony PSP 7% 4% 5% 10%
PC 5% 19% 3% 14%
Nintendo Handhelds 4% 1% 2% 1%
Other 0% 2% 0% 4%

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/TakeTwo-Interactive-Software-bw-13859957.html
Somebody might be able to table this better than I would, but I'd look at the FY 08 publishing revenues: X360 39% versus PS3 34%. This does gather more justification of a 50/50 split considering the closeness and that most of Take Two published games in the year to last October 31 are multiplatform PS360. (MC LA, GTA4, NBA2K9).

The only title that skews the data towards PS3's favor is Bioshock (X360 released in Aug 07, in the previous financial year, while PS3 version released on Oct 21 2008, which would make the FY 08 numbers).

Rhindle

Pachael said:
Eh, that's 'three months to 2009/2008', so you're really looking at just one quarter.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/TakeTwo-Interactive-Software-bw-14597597.html

So last year in 1Q 08 for the three months ending Jan 31 2008 the publishing revenues are as displayed.

If I recall correctly, GTAIV was not released till April 29 2008. So... we should be looking at results for 3Q 08 for GTAIV impact.

EDIT: Heh. Karma also catches the obvious. 21% v 8% isn't 50/50, it's 2:1.
The 2008 numbers include Xmas 2007, which included Bioshock for 360 only.

The 2009 numbers are largely GTA IV, so they're a better indication of the platform split.

EDIT: I see you picked up on that.

ymmv

Banned
Mrbob said:
Bu bu bu bu bu

Downloadable content.....360 is a software beast and.....PS3 has no games and software doesn't sell.

I think I have it all here. This thread will go places.

The same thing happened with Tthe last Tomb Raider game. The 360 had the exclusive DLC, but it didn't make any sales difference.

Rhindle said:

Probably has more to do with the "It's friggin GTA, of course it sold well on the PS3"

Rhindle

dfyb said:
so the theory that was downplayed and ridiculed is now used as an excuse?
The release of GTA IV did not lead to an explosion of PS3 hardware sales. So I think we can safely continue to downplay and ridicule that theory.

dfyb said:

An excuse for... what exactly?

Also, don't expect any exclusive GTAIV content for PS3. Sony "doesn't pay for exclusives" remember....

That said, perhaps after the next exclusive episode is done- maybe Rockstar will make a PS3/360 add on? With healthy sales across the board, it could happen.

dfyb

Banned
Rhindle said:
The release of GTA IV did not lead to an explosion of PS3 hardware sales. So I think we can safely continue to downplay and ridicule that theory.
i was replying to oldjadedgamer's words, not pachter's (had edited my quote to reflect that before you posted).

Doubledex

Banned
Link said:
Probably because it's incorrect.
So when SONY is saying something positive about their products, SONY is stupid an lying.
When even Take2 says something positive about the PS3 because THEIR MULTIPLAT. game sold well, Take2 is lying, too?
.... :lol :lol :lol :lol I love you guys

Doubledex said:
So when SONY is saying something positive about their products, SONY is stupid an lying.
When even Take2 says something positive about the PS3 because THEIR MULTIPLAT. game sold well, Take2 is lying, too?
.... :lol :lol :lol :lol I love you guys

With all the bias and hoopla aside, do you really believe the following statement could be correct : If GTA4 sold 3 million copies worldwide on the Xbox 360, it has also sold 3 million copies worldwide on the PS3.

???

Look, I wouldn't be surprised if the sell through amount was disproportionately in PS3's favor (When scaled to the amount of consoles sold), but I see very few scenarios in which there is as many PS3 versions of GTA4 sitting in consumers homes as there is 360 versions.

Liara T'Soni said:
With all the bias and hoopla aside, do you really believe the following statement could be correct : If GTA4 sold 3 million copies worldwide on the Xbox 360, it has also sold 3 million copies worldwide on the PS3.

???

Look, I wouldn't be surprised if the sell through amount was disproportionately in PS3's favor (When scaled to the amount of consoles sold), but I see very few scenarios in which there is as many PS3 versions of GTA4 sitting in consumers homes as there is 360 versions.

That is really irrelevant, from Take 2 perspective shipped = sold.

Joe211

MobiusPigeon said:
shipped=sold. come on people, its GTA. you really expected them to ship less on the ps3?
(neutral) MobiusPigeon
Feel free to safely ignore my opinions on anything Sony-related. Thank you!
(Today, 01:34 AM)

Psychotext said:
I'm not sure why people are trying to say this is wrong... hell, it's not even particularly surprising.
Because it really would be quite surprising...

If they were talking about actual sales instead of shipping numbers.

You people will spend days debating this. Have you ever spoken to an executive ? It's possible that this was just a brush off answer "yeah, yeah 50/50, next.":lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Poimandres said:
Also, don't expect any exclusive GTAIV content for PS3. Sony "doesn't pay for exclusives" remember....
Exclusives, no, they don't pay for (so they say). Exclusive content? They have and will continue to do so. (Mirrors Edge, Bioshock, etc.)

jonabbey

Thunder Monkey said:
Because it really would be quite surprising...

If they were talking about actual sales instead of shipping numbers.

Hey, it's not surprising, 360 owners had so many other awesome games to play, whereas the PS3.. <crickets>

Amirite?

For those that want to know what is in the pipeline from TTWO through the rest of their fiscal year which ends at the end of October:

Code:
Product Pipeline

The following titles shipped during the first and second quarters of 2009:

Title 	  	  				Platform 	
Dora Saves the Snow Princess 			DS
Grand Theft Auto IV 				PC
Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned 	Xbox 360
Major League Baseball® 2K9 			Multiple platforms
MLB® 2K9 Fantasy All-Stars 			DS
MLB® Front Office Manager 			Xbox 360, PS3, Games for Windows®
MLB® Superstars 				Wii

Take-Two's lineup announced to date for the remainder of fiscal 2009 includes the following titles:

Title 	  				  	Platform
Beaterator 					TBA
BioShock® 2 					TBA
Borderlands™ 					Xbox 360, PS3, Games for Windows
Don King Boxing 				Wii, DS
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars 		DS
Grand Theft Auto IV Second Episode 		Xbox 360
Mafia II 					Xbox 360, PS3, Games for Windows
Major League Baseball® 2K9 			PSP
Midnight Club: Los Angeles Downloadable 			
Content – South Central Premium Upgrade 	Xbox 360, PS3
NBA® 2K10 					Multiple platforms
NHL® 2K10 					Multiple platforms
Red Dead Redemption 				Xbox 360, PS3
The BIGS™ 2 					Multiple plat
Mafia 2, Bioshock 2, Borderlands, and Red Dead Redemption make up a pretty big xmas schedule for them.

dfyb said:

Nope, still being ridiculed.

chubigans said:
Exclusives, no, they don't pay for (so they say). Exclusive content? They have and will continue to do so. (Mirrors Edge, Bioshock, etc.)

Wait... I thought that "nothing is ever exclusive".

http://kotaku.com/5070516/sony-says-nothing-is-ever-exclusive

"I would much rather that we were investing money into making sure that we've got great R&D and we start producing games like LittleBigPlanet," he adds, "rather than paying other people a huge amount of money to stop people playing their product."

Top Bottom