• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones (NO BOOK SPOILERS) - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO (updated rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosher

prodystopian said:
Why does Ned hate the guy who is with Dany (he says Ned hates him, but I missed the reason)?

The loyal soldier with Dany is Jorah Mormont, who used to be one of Ned Stark's bannermen (essentially, families who've sworn fealty to Lord Stark in the North). Ned Stark banished Jorah from Westeros for the crime of selling slaves.

scosher said:
The loyal soldier with Dany is Jorah Mormont, who used to be one of Ned Stark's bannermen (essentially, families who've sworn fealty to Lord Stark in the North). Ned Stark banished Jorah from Westeros for the crime of selling slaves.

He sold a few poachers (or something like that) as slaves after he caught them. Ned had him sentenced to death, so he ran.

Fun fact, Jorah's father is the commander of the night watch.

devildog820 said:
He sold a few poachers (or something like that) as slaves after he caught them. Ned had him sentenced to death, so he ran.

Fun fact, Jorah's father is the commander of the night watch.

Thanks, I thought it was a bit more personal than that.

Have we seen him on the show yet?

I've got some non-reader reactions on Facebook:

"Game of Thrones: Boring for 55 minutes, twist at the end. M. Night Shyamalan writing these episodes? Looks like next weeks episode won't be boring as shit."

"I've watched it once and thought it was funny (in a stupid way)"

Kuroyume

Banned
Good episode

Nice to get some info on The Hound and The Mountain. Didn't even realize The Hound had a brother. Fucking dude looked huge on the horse compared to the guy he killed.

The wolf with the red eyes! Holy crap. Ghost looks cool as hell.

ezrarh

Mockingbird said:
I've got some non-reader reactions on Facebook:

"Game of Thrones: Boring for 55 minutes, twist at the end. M. Night Shyamalan writing these episodes? Looks like next weeks episode won't be boring as shit."

"I've watched it once and thought it was funny (in a stupid way)"

It's best the show doesn't cater to those people anyway. They're likely to say that The Wire is bad.

Also, Dinklage is just murdering on this show. I have no idea what the story is so I'm just going on his general charisma and niceness and that he's not responsible for the attempt on Bran's life so that whole (AWESOME) ending I was like "NOOOOOO!!!! YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG, LADY!! He's Tyrion! He's a stand up guy!! Wait, that came out wrong! I didn't mean to make a reference to his height or anything! He just seems -- you know what, I'm just going to sit back down on the couch. You can go ahead with the credits."

I actually said all that.

see5harp

I really do think that Carcetti is doing a fine job as Littlefinger. Dinklage is again memorable. This was a sorta "make sure the audience knows what's going on" episode, but was very well done. All of this exposition is going to pay off in incredible ways, I just hope people can hold on and be patient. Shit is going down.

apana

Gvaz said:
Why the fuck didn't they do the scene with Bran and the Raven? That part owned!

Well they did show it eventually lol. Also you got banned? I'm seeing that happen left and right these days.

ezrarh said:
It's best the show doesn't cater to those people anyway. They're likely to say that The Wire is bad.

Those people probably love all of Michael Bay's garbage.

Anyways this week was awesome, and next week seems to add even more tension.

JGS

Banned
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Ned still doesn't want the tourney, he never did. Robert wants it. Last episode Littlefinger said they had best go ahead and start planning as the king will get what he wants whether the Hand likes it or not.
That's the part I missed. Thanks.

Mumei

Kuroyume said:
Good episode

Nice to get some info on The Hound and The Mountain. Didn't even realize The Hound had a brother. Fucking dude looked huge on the horse compared to the guy he killed.

The wolf with the red eyes! Holy crap. Ghost looks cool as hell.

The guy who plays The Mountain is 7' and 320 pounds.

The character in the books is closer to 8' and 420 (described as at least 30 stone), but obviously this guy is about as close as they're going to get to that build and height in the real world.

giga

Show is good. A lot better than how The Killing turned out. Curious about the crow in Bran's dream. Good thing I can start reading the books now!

Great episode. Not very action-packed, but awesome from a story perspective.

I also love the subtle music they're using. The tune you hear during the 'recap' is awesome. I also loved how the theme first heard at the start of the series during the section where we see the White Walkers slowly played while Ser Alliser talked about the previous winter.

see5harp

I never really noticed until last night, but during the intro when the logo for GoT comes up you can see the House Sigilis on each corner (direwolf, dragon, horse, deer?). Thought it was a nice touch.

see5harp said:
I never really noticed until last night, but during the intro when the logo for GoT comes up you can see the House Sigilis on each corner (direwolf, dragon, horse, deer?). Thought it was a nice touch.
I noticed this too. I was watching the opening credits, and suddenly saw them. :lol

Retro

The one thing that I would say to all non-book readers (i.e. those quoted above from Facebook) is, if you're not even slightly interested in politics, you're not going to like Game of Thrones.

Yes, there are fantasy elements, with dire wolves and dragons and such. There are fantastical lands, a rich mythology and supernatural elements mentioned throughout.

Yes, there are historical elements, with an eye towards heraldry, family ties and kingdoms.

But what it all comes down to, and this is why the series is being called "Game of Thrones" instead of "A Song of Ice and Fire" (besides the fact that it's a mouthful); everything is politics. This person and this person are allied to stab this person in the back because that person did xyz to another person 30 years ago and so on and so forth.

When Ned calls King's Landing a viper's nest, that's exactly what it is. The show makes it a point to single out Varys, Littlefinger, and Cersei all spying on everyone and each other, but there's dozens of other interests that aren't even represented (even in the books); everyone is trying to gain favor, gain land, gain titles and see their enemies falter. It literally is everyone playing a massive political game for their own benefit.

If the idea of people talking and scheming is boring, Game of Thrones is not for you.

... sorry for the mini-rant. Seen too many similar comments about the show being boring and pointless talking and a billion pointless characters in a bunch of different, pointless places. Even though the books aren't finished yet, I think it's safe to assume that everything we see, from Jon at the Wall to Arya in King's Landing to Daenarys in the Dothraki Sea have a purpose towards a singular end. All of these character's aren't off doing their own thing just because it's cool to tell a bunch of stories at once.

Then again GRRM is a notorious D&D player... maybe he's just rolling d20 to decide what happens next... /cry

X-Frame said:
Oh yeah, so Bran is paralyzed? Damnit.

Yeah, Bran is paralyzed below the waist. Luckily, this episode introduced Hodor, who serves as a sort of big, talking wheelchair for Bran so all of his scenes won't be cooped up with Old Nan and her anal rape-spider stories.

see5harp said:

The four symbols are the Lion, Direwolf, Stag and Dragon, the sigils of House Lannister, Stark, Baratheon and Targareyen, respectively.

Not a spoiler: GRRM spends paragraphs describing family connections and their sigils, and there's a scarily rich level of heraldry and thought put into the various families and their crests. There are pages at the back of each novel explaining each major family and their sworn knights and lords and family connections. I don't think a lot of this will translate to the show, but it should make it very visually interesting to see all of these crests and heraldric colors flying and have them rooted somewhat in the fiction.

apana

Blue Ninja said:
Great episode. Not very action-packed, but awesome from a story perspective.

I also love the subtle music they're using. The tune you hear during the 'recap' is awesome. I also loved how the theme first heard at the start of the series during the section where we see the White Walkers slowly played while Ser Alliser talked about the previous winter.

Damn I'm gonna be so happy when they release the full soundtrack. I think I've heard some epic themes that have yet to appear in the show.

scosher

The actor for Bran is not only adorably cute, but is delivering his lines like a seasoned acting pro. Would put Haley Joel Osment to shame.

Retro

scosher said:
The actor for Bran is not only adorably cute, but is delivering his lines like a seasoned acting pro. Would put Haley Joel Osment to shame.

Child actors are notoriously difficult to get perfect, but somehow this show has managed to get both Arya and Bran perfect. Every Arya scene is a delight, and I'm 99% sure we get to see some of the cat-catching she mentions in this latest episode, which is just going to be awesomely cute. Arya vs. the Kitties of King's Landing.

And they're not exactly children, but Joffrey and Sansa could have also gone pretty badly for their ages too. Joffrey comes off as the perfect little spoiled shit.

As for Sansa... so much of her character is internalized, I can't think of any other character in the books who's chapters are so heavy on her own introspection. She was always going to be a difficult character to get across to an audience, but at least she's not a terrible actress.

Pokielhl said:
Yeah, he's really good at staying out of sight and being irrelevant lol.

Very true to the book.

Yeah, Sansa is a pretty tough role. She's a character people love to hate (I don't) and a lot of her stuff is internal. I think she's doing a good job so far.

scosher

Retro said:
Child actors are notoriously difficult to get perfect, but somehow this show has managed to get both Arya and Bran perfect. Every Arya scene is a delight, and I'm 99% sure we get to see some of the cat-catching she mentions in this latest episode, which is just going to be awesomely cute. Arya vs. the Kitties of King's Landing.

And they're not exactly children, but Joffrey and Sansa could have also gone pretty badly for their ages too. Joffrey comes off as the perfect little spoiled shit.

As for Sansa... so much of her character is internalized, I can't think of any other character in the books who's chapters are so heavy on her own introspection. She was always going to be a difficult character to get across to an audience, but at least she's not a terrible actress.

Yup. When I see the two kids on The Killing, or even Rita's children on Dexter, it makes me appreciate 10x more how fortunate GoT was to find these kids.

Pokielhl

Neo Member
suzu said:
I will say that the show has not made dislike Catelyn and Sansa as much as I did in the books lol.

Yeah if the audience doesn't hate Catelyn by now, they probably aren't going to.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I was really worried about Calcetti as Littlefinger, I hated his acting on the wire. He always sounded like he was just reading of a teleprompter. However he's been pretty good as Litttlefinger, his weird mannerisms actually work for this role.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
suzu said:
I will say that the show has not made dislike Catelyn and Sansa as much as I did in the books lol.

Well they made her last scene with Jon a lot nicer than it was in the book.

So rewatched ep 1 last night wacky girlfriend is interested in it and wants to get caught up. Not sure why I didn't notice before but the direwolf and drag killed each other, and since the direwolf is the sigil for the Starks and the Stag for the kings family, I can't help but think it's symbolic of what's ultimately to come. Purely speculation., as I haven't read the books. Just thought it was a neat touch that I somehow missed on my first viewing

LM4sure

Banned
apana said:
lol Poor Rickon.

HA! I didn’t even know the Starks had another child. I had to google Rickon to see who the heck he was. I honestly hadn’t noticed him before. Is he a character that becomes more prominent in the books? I would think so, or else why would they leave the character in the show?

suzu

Doc Holliday said:
Well they made her last scene with Jon a lot nicer than it was in the book.

Haha, yeah. GTFO is definitely a lot nicer than "I wish it was you".

LM4sure said:
HA! I didn’t even know the Starks had another child. I had to google Rickon to see who the heck he was. I honestly hadn’t noticed him before. Is he a character that becomes more prominent in the books? I would think so, or else why would they leave the character in the show?

Yes, he should have some more parts later on.

apana

GodfatherX said:
So rewatched ep 1 last night wacky girlfriend is interested in it and wants to get caught up. Not sure why I didn't notice before but the direwolf and drag killed each other, and since the direwolf is the sigil for the Starks and the Stag for the kings family, I can't help but think it's symbolic of what's ultimately to come. Purely speculation., as I haven't read the books. Just thought it was a neat touch that I somehow missed on my first viewing

Yeah it seems symbolic. It could be that the either the two families or Ned and the King specifically end up sharing the same fate. I'm assuming from the title of the next episode, it's about the clash between Starks and Lannisters, with Jaime and Ned finally getting to duel each other as we've seen in some trailers. Things are moving really fast now.

TheExodu5

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
I was really worried about Calcetti as Littlefinger, I hated his acting on the wire. He always sounded like he was just reading of a teleprompter. However he's been pretty good as Litttlefinger, his weird mannerisms actually work for this role.
I thought he was perfect on The Wire. He plays the part of a politician very well.

Just a reminder that this is the No Book Spoilers thread. If you'd like to discuss the television series and how it compares to the books, the other thread is probably a more appropriate place for that. Also, please spoiler tag discussion of the previews for upcoming episodes. Thanks for your help.

aronnov reborn said:
HBO's "Inside the Episode" feature has to be one of the best things for TV.
The "Inside the Episode" feature for this week's installment can be seen here in case anyone wants to check it out.

rhino4evr

Who was the person that the dwarf Lannister threw the coin at? At first I thought it was another of the Stark boys..but the conversation made me realized he actually wasn't. I didn't really understand the point of that conversation.

Other then that..I thought it was a good episode. The joust scene was nasty.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Cornballer said:
Just a reminder that this is the No Book Spoilers thread. If you'd like to discuss the television series and how it compares to the books, the other thread is probably a more appropriate place for that. Also, please spoiler tag discussion of the previews for upcoming episodes. Thanks for your help.

The "Inside the Episode" feature for this week's installment can be seen here in case anyone wants to check it out.
Do you have a link for the other 3 episodes?

th3dude

rhino4evr said:
Who was the person that the dwarf Lannister threw the coin at? At first I thought it was another of the Stark boys..but the conversation made me realized he actually wasn't. I didn't really understand the point of that conversation.

Was wondering the same myself.

rhino4evr said:

He's a mercenary named Bronn, a new character that hasn't been introduced yet. Tyrion gave him the coin to take his room at the inn.

rhino4evr said:

The inn he was at was full, and didn't have any room for him. He was trying to bribe people to give him a room.

I don't believe the guy he gave money was very important. (Unless it's what the last guy said and it was Bronn, he is important).

suzu

rhino4evr said:

You mean back in Winterfell? Theon Greyjoy. He is the only son and heir of the Greyjoys and was taken hostage and became a ward (squire) for Ned Stark after his family started a rebellion against King Robert. He was basically raised along side the Stark children, so Tyrion is mocking him for having to serve their "enemy".

rhino4evr

Basileus777 said:
He's a mercenary named Bronn, a new character that hasn't been introduced yet.
Ok...so he's been hired to guard Bran then?
This show is definitely confusing at times. I can imagine a lot of people are going to be lost and loose interest in this show.

So basically the story at the moment is that Ned is looking for proof that the Lanisters killed John Ayre (the former hand of the king)...in doing so he discovered that the blacksmiths son is a bastard of the king.

Who was the guy that was killed in the joust? John Ayre's serf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom