• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Maps Revealed (And The Rest Tomorrow)

Sethos

Banned
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...ran-battlefield-3-multiplayer-map-reveal.aspx

Check out Tehran Highway - Night time urban MP map? Fuck. Yes.

Damavand Peak:

DamavandPeak_2D00_3_2D00_1280.jpg

DamavandPeak_2D00_1_2D00_1280.jpg

Tehran Highway:

MP003_2D00_1280.jpg

MP003_2D00_1_2D00_1280.jpg

Operation Firestorm:

OperationFirestorm_2D00_2_2D00_1280.jpg

OperationFirestorm_2D00_1_2D00_1280.jpg

Operation Metro:

OperationMetro_2D00_2_2D00_1280.jpg

OperationMetro_2D00_1_2D00_1280.jpg

So - Bazaar, Highway (Tehran Highway - Night), Forest (Caspian), Paris, Oilfields (Firestorm - biggest map), Basejump (Damavand Peak - Mountains), Subway (Op. Metro), Canals, Kharg.

No mention of Omaha, but: Come back tomorrow for the remaining five multiplayer map reveals.

That Damavand Peak = conquest point only accessable by helicopter. Now that would be fucking awesome.

ghst said:
i'm not terribly surprised, you seem to have embarked on a long campaign of attrition against the value of your own opinion regarding anything battlefield. i get that you're excited, but i feel like this brand of stonewalling optimism is better suited for sonic threads.

You stated an opinion, I stated mine. It's clear that DICE/EA have made change to Battlefield because of the changing face of gaming. It sucks in some ways but is great in others. I don't think things like the Commander mode made Battlefield what it is. It was a fun meta-game that they could have expanded/done interesting things with, but its exclusion doesn't ruin the game for me. I could say this about the majority of "but it was in BF2" complaints.

I've been extremely hyped and burned by games before that seemed like they might help change modern combat FPS MP games before (Homefront, I'm looking at you). But I've gotten too much enjoyment out of the core gameplay of BF3 (and before this, BC2) to embark down a path of thinking the game is a devolution.

Stallion Free said:
You must have missed the BC2 threads lmao.

If you'd like to embark on another series of personal insults, feel free to do so via PM. It's been a while!

Foliorum Viridum said:
But... 360 pad support was great in the beta? (for vehicles)

Must be in.

However, DICE are clearly being rushed. Not a good sign.

It was horrible in the sense that you couldn't configure the y axis, making it useless for many. Sensitivity was also way to high for tanks. It was nice to be able to configure multiple input devices though.

PjotrStroganov said:
It was horrible in the sense that you couldn't configure the y axis, making it useless for many. Sensitivity was also way to high for tanks. It was nice to be able to configure multiple input devices though.
I would assume that stuff like that is easy to do, though.

The fact they have it in the beta and it's completely functional tells me it must be in the final product. If not, I won't be flying, that's for sure.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i guess thats where they got that base jumping scene from in the first teaser with the dudes jumping off the cliff and a jet flying past them

Sethos said:
Check out Tehran Highway - Night time urban MP map? Fuck. Yes.

MP003_2D00_1280.jpg

Looks so good. Now that is the playground I like for urban warfare. Hopefully we can go on the raise highways and shoot at people below? =P

woober

Damavand Peak, internally known as Base Jump, is built on the idea that we want players to be able to base jump, and features our most extreme height differences ever in a Battlefield map. Attackers in Rush and Squad Rush will start high up on a mountain ridge above a mining facility. The only way down into the valley is to somehow make the 500 meter descent. The further the attackers progress in the map, the more vehicle warfare will be present. There is also a large tunnel section dug into the mountain side at the bottom of the map, and the view when you look up at the starting location is spectacular.

sweetjesusface.png

Menelaus

Banned
Rygar 8 Bit said:
i guess thats where they got that base jumping scene from in the first teaser with the dudes jumping off the cliff and a jet flying past them
That was no doubt single player, but yeah, reused map.

Firestorm - One of our largest and most vehicle-friendly map, Operation Firestorm is the classic Battlefield gameplay taken to the extremes. Size-wise, and with some puzzle skills, you could actually place three Atacama Deserts -- one of the largest maps from Battlefield: Bad Company 2 -- within the playable area of Operation Firestorm. This is a wide-open desert map where the burning oil fields in one direction are contrasted by clear blue sky in the other direction. Construction sites dotting the area bring interesting possibilities for infantry to hide in elevated positions, spot vehicles, and take them down by mortar or RPG.

Tehran Highway - One of the inspirations for this map was a photo of a night time skyline of Tehran which now is basically the same vista that is available in the game. You start up on the hills above the city outskirts and eventually work your way into town. This atmospheric night-time map, where you can see rockets lighting up the sky, has a balanced mix between vehicle and infantry focus. It plays length-wise and starts semi-open with plenty of room for vehicles, but ends on a much more urban and tight note with less focus on vehicles and more on infantry.

Damavand Peak - Damavand Peak, internally known as Base Jump, is built on the idea that we want players to be able to base jump, and features our most extreme height differences ever in a Battlefield map. Attackers in Rush and Squad Rush will start high up on a mountain ridge above a mining facility. The only way down into the valley is to somehow make the 500 meter descent. The further the attackers progress in the map, the more vehicle warfare will be present. There is also a large tunnel section dug into the mountain side at the bottom of the map, and the view when you look up at the starting location is spectacular.

Bolded makes me make a happy face.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
spk said:
Here's 2 recent links with comments about destruction. If destruction is equal to or slightly more than what we saw in beta I'd be fine.
http://mp1st.com/2011/09/05/less-destructible-environments-in-battlefield-3-dice-explains/
http://mp1st.com/2011/09/08/update-dice-clarifies-destruction-in-battlefield-3/

Er-they're adding indestructible cover to Rush defense... which is sorely needed for balance and gameplay reasons and you're bitching about it?

From those articles, they aren't really "nerfing damage" as you say. They're shifting the damage to be less "map is completely leveled" in Rush, which is needed to have fair play and moving the M-COM/crates into open areas or at least places where they won't collapse and... GIVE THE DEFENSE A CHANCE TO WIN.

Again... I'm not seeing the problem here? Have some of you sunk 700 hours into the game like some of us have and have seen games that were "LOL C4 THE CRATE BUILDING." "LOL JIHAD THE CRATE TO DESTROY THE BUILDING." ... "WAIT SHIT THERE IS AT MINES THERE NOW! RPG THE BUILDING TO MAKE IT COLLAPSE! LOLZ!"

NO ONE goes for the crates unless they're OPEN in BC2 anymore and even then they attempt to cheese it with C4 instead of attempting to arm and hold. Something has to give for that mode. If they're adding indestructible cover to give the defense the chance for that mode while keeping "level everything" hide and seek conquest, I'm fine with it.

Kyaw

Can't wait to go zero throttle down that drop on a chopper... with bros in the back.

SHIT'S GONNA BE GOOD!

Sethos

Banned
You know what I'm going to miss most from BF2 and frankly, from every MP game back then? Being able to start up the game on an empty server ( i.e your own ), learn the maps and learn the vehicles. Such BS you have to learn 'live' and then endure tons of whining about how you can't fly, shit like that.

Arcipello

Sethos said:
You know what I'm going to miss most from BF2 and frankly, from every MP game back then? Being able to start up the game on an empty server ( i.e your own ), learn the maps and learn the vehicles. Such BS you have to learn 'live' and then endure tons of whining about how you can't fly, shit like that.

yeah i realy enjoyed doing that.... its really useful when wanting to take screenshots of the scenery also:(

EVIL

Freaking god, I want to drive a buggy over that cliff, imagine the faces of the defenders when they look up see a ton of parachutes, a heli and 3 buggies making their way down :D

EVIL said:
Freaking god, I want to drive a buggy over that cliff, imagine the faces of the defenders when they look up see a ton of parachutes, a heli and 3 buggies making their way down :D

Especially if you attach C4 to the jeep before bailing out.

RAAAAAAAAGE

The variety in the map design in BF3 would never have been possible in FB1.

And to think this is the first game on FB2, I cannot wait to see what DICE and EA have in store for future iterations of FB2.

ppl complaining about the lack of features in BF3 need to remember that FB2 is a new engine, most of the features that are lacking they can easily add in later.

Pennybags

Did that MP_Omaha map rumor come from a legit source? I seem to remember that it did, because IIRC, it was on the same list that had MP_Basejump, MP_Oilfields, and MP_Kharg. Obviously, we've seen the authenticity of those locations.

If true, I wonder if they are going to go into the business of unlocking a bonus map again.

Pennybags said:
Did that MP_Omaha map rumor come from a legit source? I seem to remember that it did, because IIRC, it was on the same list that had MP_Basejump, MP_Oilfields, and MP_Kharg, and obviously, we've seen the authenticity of those locations.

If true, I wonder if they are going to go into the business of unlocking a bonus map again.

Yeah, Omaha was mentioned in the open beta files along with all the other maps.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
FUCK YEAH finally some footage of remaining maps

[IMG*]http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/battlefield_5F00_bad_5F00_company/DamavandPeak_2D00_3_2D00_1280.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG*]http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/battlefield_5F00_bad_5F00_company/DamavandPeak_2D00_1_2D00_1280.jpg[/IMG]

I am so fucking ready for this, looks fantastic.

Pennybags

I wonder how easy it'll be to drop the incoming paratroopers... :)

ii Stryker said:
The way the destruction was handled. BC 1&2 had the same houses and buildings on every map

On Caspian, you see the exact BC1/BC2 style structures sprinkled around the map.

I do get what you're saying, though. On other maps, the architecture is actually realistic, like on the ending phase of Metro, Grand Bazaar, and this Tehran Highway.

Did they ever fix special characters in passwords before the beta ended? Kind of sucked having to change my very good Origin password to a dumb shit one with just letters and numbers.

And argh why do none of the links on this page work? I want to seeeeeee

Edit: WTF, everything displays fine if I open this thread in Firefox. What the hell is up with Chrome lately I've been having nothing but problems for the last couple weeks

I played a little of the beta and did not really get into it, was there things missing that will be in the retail? I am really looking forward to the single player but not sure its worth full price.

thanks guys!

vaelic

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
I played a little of the beta and did not really get into it, was there things missing that will be in the retail? I am really looking forward to the single player but not sure its worth full price.

thanks guys!
it's battlefield. do you like battlefield games? if yes, then no need to ask this question

Rainy Dog

JetBlackPanda said:

thanks guys!

If it was only Operation Metro you played, I can guarantee that there'll be so much more to the full game that it'll almost be...well, an entirely different game.

vaelic said:
it's battlefield. do you like battlefield games? if yes, then no need to ask this question
I think it's safe to assume by the fact he's asking this question that this isn't a helpful response.

If you played Caspian you got to see the real BF3 experience. If it was just Metro, you didn't. I don't know what will be different in retail, however.

Top Bottom