• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

vaelic

Banned
I made the mistake of forcing AA since the beginning of my play through and my fps was <30 until today when I turned it off and now it runs perfectly! Never trusting AMD with that anymore! =)

Odd, I force AA and run 60 FPS. never a studder...

(AMD 5850 here)

yeah the aiming system is pretty garbage for thew bow ive found. works much better with magic for some reason

i mean by the end youre not exactly having to aim magic at anything but early on

I see. I was looking forward to future bow builds - in your opinion, are they a viable choice? Or mostly just a secondary weapon?

Plan on rocking a dagger OR faeblade primary, chakram secondary loadout. Could anyone brief me on the biggest differences between daggers and faeblades?

AEREC

Have you paid attention to the intro?

Ya...I guess I wasnt sure if that was meant to be the main character that died in the intro or not since it was obviously a dude and some people may choose to go female for their main character...but I guess that answers that.

Duki

Banned
I see. I was looking forward to future bow builds - in your opinion, are they a viable choice? Or mostly just a secondary weapon?

Plan on rocking a dagger OR faeblade primary, chakram secondary loadout. Could anyone brief me on the biggest differences between daggers and faeblades?

theyre absolutely viable power wise, pretty much anything you do in this game will make you overpowered by the end (or earlier), i just found them less fun to play with lol

thats kind of a nice benefit of the game balance favouring the player: because everything you do is really powerful you never feel gimped by just playing the game in the way that you find the most fun.

Hey guys, quick question. Can I be in multiple factions or just one? Been holding off from completing some of the faction quest cause I'm not sure and would hate to join one and have the others go away.

Duki

Banned
Hey guys, quick question. Can I be in multiple factions or just one? Been holding off from completing some of the faction quest cause I'm not sure and would hate to join one and have the others go away.

you can do them all, its more skyrim and less new vegas

Syril

I was about to give the demo of this a try on Steam and the first thing that happened is that it asked me to sign in on my EA account. This is kind of a red flag for me, because the last time that happened was when I played the PS3 demo of Dead Space 2 and discovered later that signing in right there had permanently linked my EA and PS3 accounts. Would signing in to this link it to my Steam account, because I really don't want to do that.

1stStrike

Banned
So, here's a high res screenshot with the fxaa injector enabled and the widescreen/fov fix in action.

Click Me

Doesn't really look too different to me with fxaa enabled. Can't play the game without the widescreen fixer anymore, though.

Klyka

Banned
I was about to give the demo of this a try on Steam and the first thing that happened is that it asked me to sign in on my EA account. This is kind of a red flag for me, because the last time that happened was when I played the PS3 demo of Dead Space 2 and discovered later that signing in right there had permanently linked my EA and PS3 accounts. Would signing in to this link it to my Steam account, because I really don't want to do that.

Click the red x in the top right.

Yeah, I noticed that, but I just wanted to know if it only signing in for the game to get the promo bonuses or linking to my entire Steam account.

Promo only in my experience.

It doesn't even remember your EA account.. you have to enter it every time. If it linked your accounts somehow, I wouldn't think it would be asking.

Abylim

I'm so impatient! I ordered this online (Hello, savings!$100 down to 56, yes please) But I need this game now! Any tips for a beginner? I hear Sagecrafting is the way to go, I'm probably going full finesse or finesse/might.

I'm so impatient! I ordered this online (Hello, savings!$100 down to 56, yes please) But I need this game now! Any tips for a beginner? I hear Sagecrafting is the way to go, I'm probably going full finesse or finesse/might.

Finesse/might seems like it could be the most underappreciated build in Amalur - good luck. I just started tonight. Aiming for a 75% finesse, 25% magic build, myself.

1stStrike

Banned
Does anyone else get massive shiny object syndrome in this game? I'll see a chest, or something that looks interesting on my map and... next thing I know I've been running around for 45 minutes fighting random monsters, uncovering places I probably shouldn't be yet, and looting whatever I find along the way.

I'm in the second area now, the plains, and it's pretty cool. I have barely scratched the surface of the main storyline in the area, though, and have mostly just been doing sidequests or running around aimlessly. I think I have like 4 hours worth of straight up sidequests in my log book at the moment to get through.

Despite the redundancy of some of them, I've found that they're not too bad. Most of them I just run across naturally, so it's not like I need to go out of my way to do them.

I am slightly bored with magic, though. It's just so massively powerful, and I'm not even using any of the higher tier spells yet. I have a pretty powerful fire staff and, combined with a maxed out mark of flame, everything has been cake. I may try doing another play through with just melee, as it's almost hilarious how easy the battles are even on hard at this point (and I'm not even over leveled as a lot of the mobs are still yellow/orange in the outside world)

Apeboy

Does anyone else get massive shiny object syndrome in this game? I'll see a chest, or something that looks interesting on my map and... next thing I know I've been running around for 45 minutes fighting random monsters, uncovering places I probably shouldn't be yet, and looting whatever I find along the way.

I try and loot chests before getting aggro'd by the mobs around it. Each time I'm given some very important task I'm like, just wait a minute I need to see what's in the pile of rocks. It like a disease. One I haven't suffered since diablo I.

I once literally ran back and forth between a lorestone and a chest because I couldn't decide which shiny thing I wanted to get my paws on first.

I mean, I only did it for a couple seconds before getting over myself, but I still did it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Say, for finesse builds, it is possible to go stealth in the middle of battle using smoke bomb, correct? Does this compatible with the Art of Assassin? If so... o_O

Rad Agast

Good points, I'll try to see if I can learn it, but the only games I've ever been decent at parrying are the Assasins Creed games since my reflexes are pretty bad.

The game is pretty generous when it comes to timing your parries.

Just started the Scholia Arcana quests, the story reminds me of old D&D books. I think tomorrow will be the day when I finally start to pick up the main quest line again. Every time I say I'll do that I end up stumbling on some new side stuff.

Apeboy

Say, for finesse builds, it is possible to go stealth in the middle of battle using smoke bomb, correct? Does this compatible with the Art of Assassin? If so... o_O

Yes. You can use smoke bombs for stealth kills in a battle. You can usually get two kills per bomb this way. Great for mages.

Ok I'm really liking being a full finese build. I need about 15 more points before I can get gambit, but I really want to try out the might/sorcery build. I just found a badass great sword and I have been saving some chakrams I found..Should I respec?

I'm conflicted because I do want to become a Nightblade, but damn...I dunno..

Grinchy

Banned
I dont know, perhaps Im just bad at the game, but where Im currently at (just at and a little east of Ysa), the difficulty feels great. West of me is scrubby enemies, enemies in the area Im doing quest in are giving me a fun challenge, and just to the east of us I can get taken down really quick. And this is with doing a good amount of the side quest.

I'm at basically the same place, except I'm right on the western edge of finding Ysa. I wonder if people who find the game easy have just gotten lucky and found really overpowered weapons? Or maybe some builds are just naturally easier than others. Or you and I suck. Many possibilities.

1stStrike

Banned
Ok I'm really liking being a full finese build. I need about 15 more points before I can get gambit, but I really want to try out the might/sorcery build. I just found a badass great sword and I have been saving some chakrams I found..Should I respec?

I'm conflicted because I do want to become a Nightblade, but damn...I dunno..

Why not just respec and try it out? It's not like you can't change back if you don't like it. You can pretty much respec whenever you want, and it's not that expensive, so I'd go for it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm at basically the same place, except I'm right on the western edge of finding Ysa. I wonder if people who find the game easy have just gotten lucky and found really overpowered weapons? Or maybe some builds are just naturally easier than others. Or you and I suck. Many possibilities.

I find the difficulty fine-tuned too, in normal.

Lots of people seem to consider games need to be like Demon's or Dark Souls to be called "challenging" or something.

Syrionus

Neo Member
I am slightly bored with magic, though. It's just so massively powerful, and I'm not even using any of the higher tier spells yet. I have a pretty powerful fire staff and, combined with a maxed out mark of flame, everything has been cake. I may try doing another play through with just melee, as it's almost hilarious how easy the battles are even on hard at this point (and I'm not even over leveled as a lot of the mobs are still yellow/orange in the outside world)

Everything is pretty powerful in this game. It still gives me a challenge though. I am going Might/Sorcery. Basically attempting a Paladin build. I still get my but kicked once in a while though.

So, here's a high res screenshot with the fxaa injector enabled and the widescreen/fov fix in action.

Click Me

Doesn't really look too different to me with fxaa enabled. Can't play the game without the widescreen fixer anymore, though.

How did you get the camera that high and that far?

ZZMitch

Difficulty has been pretty good for me too. Only in Webwood though. I am having a little more trouble here because I hate spiders so when they pop out of the ground around I just start spamming buttons like crazy and take a lot more damage than I should be heh.

scitek

So my buddy's really more of a casual gamer, but he's been hooked on WoW for the past few months, and before that, he played and loved the hell out of Fable 2 and 3. I've been playing Reckoning for the last day or so and I think it's a lot of fun (I didn't know if I would because I saw loose comparisons to Skyrim being thrown around beforehand, and I can't get into Bethesda games for whatever reason). Anyway, I've never played Fable or WoW, but from watching Fable 2, Reckoning seems similar. I'll have him try the demo tonight, but I was wondering if I'm right in thinking he may like it.

1stStrike

Banned
Everything is pretty powerful in this game. It still gives me a challenge though. I am going Might/Sorcery. Basically attempting a Paladin build. I still get my but kicked once in a while though.

How did you get the camera that high and that far?

Yeah, I'm in the plains at level 21 and I just feel like a straight up power house.

Oh, and that happens during the battle scenes. It's all thanks to the widescreen fixer, so I can actually see where the enemies are. I suspect part of the 'difficulty' of the game for some people is simply the fact that their POV is crippled by the stock camera.

Grinchy

Banned
Difficulty has been pretty good for me too. Only in Webwood though. I am having a little more trouble here because I hate spiders so when they pop out of the ground around I just start spamming buttons like crazy and take a lot more damage than I should be heh.

ZeE2e.gif
ZeE2e.gif
I'm not afraid to admit that I have jumped a few times from spiders popping out of the ground.

Do you ever get to a point where you can salvage an item for all its components?

Reloading to get the blade of a God damn sword which is like 70% of the fucking thing is such a pain in the ass.

How often to dungeons respawn?

Just went though Overgrown Thicket, very quick one with some good loot at the end.

Also, I found gear that 2/5 set bonus gave me +2 to Finesse, what does that do?

windz

Haha too true. Last night I was getting real sleepy and spiders jumped outta the ground and scared me/woke me up =(.

Derrick01

Banned
These faction quests are pretty cool and in depth so far and I've only done 1 or 2 of them so far for 3 factions, and they've had actual meaningful loot too! Definite improvement over Skyrim's already (sorry but I had to go there).

20 hours in and I'm still dickin around in that first region. I haven't even explored like 3 sections of that region either.

Also, I found gear that 2/5 set bonus gave me +2 to Finesse, what does that do?

All finesse abilities go up by 2; this includes maxed out abilities.

For example Barbed Arrow has 20% change of doing like 80-100 bleed damage at the highest level. With the +2 to finesse that becomes 20% chance of doing 150 bleed damage.

Sylonious

Pachter said 38 Studios will make money on anything more than one million units. Billy Pidgeon, analyst for M2 Research, said selling 1 million copies would represent a "moderate success," 2 to 4 million would be a big success. - Source

Anybody know whether this game is selling well or not?

Luthos

I wish I could turn off the shiny indicator for plants/alchemy ingredients. I'm not doing alchemy on my current character, but I have an OCD about collecting all stuff I can see in an area before I move on. It's taken some effort to just ignore plants.

gehrig38

Yeah. It's still there though; compare is 2 and add junk is 3. I've said this a few times already but:

1 = A
2 = X
3 = Y

That holds true across any UI element.

You do know you can right click the mouse on stuff to compare, add to junk and equip right? Maybe I am missing the actual question?

Oh btw, watch Fallon tonight:)

ReaperXL7

Anybody know whether this game is selling well or not?

I think there was a post a couple pages back saying it was number 1 in the uk in the sales charts, I don't think we have gotten any news on us numbers yet, but the wal mart, target, and two gamestops close to me have been sold out since I think Thursday. We will probably see numbers soonish though. Atleast by NPD time.

Wallach

"Alchemy way more powerful than Blacksmithing"... uhh no. :lol

I don't even pick up potions anymore. I see tons of master potions drop and never pick em up unless it's an XP or persuasion boost. Blacksmithing (comboed with a high quality sagecrafted gem) makes you such a god that you don't even have to use potions (both in terms of health/mana and damage). I kill everything on the screen in just a few seconds with custom mastercrafted prismere gear and am also indestructible with huge amounts of resistances and life *flex*. I've got like a total 70% critical chance or something ridiculous like that. Alchemy is only helpful early on and early mid-game where there's actually some semblance of a challenge. If you really need potions you can buy almost any potion you want (including master quality) from vendors or get them from drops. With so much gold you can buy them in mass no prob.

I can't even remember the last time I used a health potion. In fact I was thinking to sell off all my potions to make room in my inventory, it would free up like 10 spaces.

It doesn't matter whether you are using them or not. Stacking Alchemy buffs is the most powerful form of character improvement the game offers. Blacksmithing isn't even close, nor should it be since Alchemy buffs are temporary. My point is that if you are actually min-maxing, Alchemy is required because it is the most potent by a large margin. Actually min-maxing in this game is kind of pointless though.

You do know you can right click the mouse on stuff to compare, add to junk and equip right? Maybe I am missing the actual question?

Oh btw, watch Fallon tonight:)

Huh? I'm not posing a question...

People don't seem to realize that 1/2/3 on the keyboard are UI shortcuts is all. There's no reason to right click on something to compare, when you can just hit 2 on the keyboard, or just tap 3 to send something to junk rather than right click it every time.

Napophis

Just tried that widescreen fix, anything less than 90 for me felt like cat eye view point. 1920x1080p res for me, wouldn't of known about it if you hadn't posted something, so thx :)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Going to pick this up on Xbox probably next week... but my buddy is a PC gamer and said he tried the demo and didn't want it because he was underwhelmed with the graphics.

Can you guys post some souped up fancy photos I can shoot his way to change his mind? :)

Syrionus

Neo Member
Yeah, I'm in the plains at level 21 and I just feel like a straight up power house.

Oh, and that happens during the battle scenes. It's all thanks to the widescreen fixer, so I can actually see where the enemies are. I suspect part of the 'difficulty' of the game for some people is simply the fact that their POV is crippled by the stock camera.

Explain please. What is this?

scitek

I have an Origin copy of the game and cracked it so Origin doesn't have to run to play it, and no matter what I do, the Widescreen Fixer doesn't work. Even if I use the exe that makes origin start it doesn't work. :(

Top Bottom