• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead or Alive 5 footage. (Update 2: Releasing Worldwide In September)

mattfabb

Banned
Alrighty, while my old bud, Mr. Wah, the head of FreeStopDodge himself, awaits for his GAF account to be approved? He requested me to address on his behalf some concerns mattfab and others have bought up, as well as give other clarification on some things.

1) Some of the VR players, like mattfab, don't seem to know the depths of DOA, as many don't. They're just looking at the RPS system, agreeing that VF uses an RPS system but has layers that go over that initial RPS system like OM and sabakis. What they fail to realize, is that DOA has options that get around its own RPS system - maybe not DOA4, but at least DOA3 and even lesser DOA2. In DOA3 you had guard breaks and guard crushes that guaranteed follow-up attacks and made it so Attack could beat Guard. You had Catch Throws / Offensive Holds which were Throws that beat Attacks while also beating Holds. You had a wall crumple system in DOA3 that prevented someone from holding and getting a free hit for anyone - where some characters would opt for a free chance at a ground system. You had a mild side stepping system to attacks for avoidance of attacks while gaining positional space for strategical positioning (pushing an opponent near the guaranteed wall damage). You also have attacks that were "unholdable" as in when connecting with a HOLD, the holding opponent would just position switch instead of dealing default damage. You also had natural combos that put characters into certain stuns which would require a certain amount of frames to pass in order to be allowed to defensive hold out of the stun. Additionally, it's worth mentioning that struggling is in the critical state system, where a majority of critical stuns can be sped up as an alternative defensive style from holding out of the stun and being throw punished. Additionally, it's a bar that is built up in the background that can be "stored" for when the next critical state is applied to the player.

They simply didn't bother to break the game down far enough to see the deeper layers in play like they did with Virtua Fighter. Virtua Fighter can be played as simple as they are claiming DOA can be played.

Hopefully, his account will be approved soon, so that he can start posting replies for himself! 8D

I was not really doubting that DOA has dept. I was simply saying that RPS is not the right metaphor for VF5. It was right for VF1 maybe and 2. I know that DOA3 had more options than 4. My point is:

It is not always the best option to press guard to defend in VF5.

It is not always the best option to attack to beat throws in VF5.

It is not always the best option to throw to beat guard in VF5.

You can play RPS if you want, but it will not work against those who know the system and know how to break the system.

I was not really doubting that DOA has dept. I was simply saying that RPS is not the right metaphor for VF5. It was right for VF1 maybe and 2. I know that DOA3 had more options than 4. My point is:

It is not always the best option to press guard to defend in VF5.

It is not always the best option to attack to beat throws in VF5.

It is not always the best option to throw to beat guard in VF5.

You can play RPS if you want, but it will not work against those who know the system and know how to break the system.
yep, none of that can be applied to DOA, nothing on the last page indicates that at all.

Elios83

Can't wait and quite impressed so far, it will be my first DOA since DOA2 on PS2.
It's weird how NG3 seems so uninspired (notwithstanding the team's experience with the two Sigma games) while this is shaping off really nicely.

Neiteio

JuI2G.jpg

INdF1.jpg
Wow, the characters went from looking like creepy Gravijah Pokemon trainer avatars to something actually legitimately beautiful.

Am I crazy in thinking that is the only fighting game that looks next gen?

dbkr2wbizSLyei.gif
This Ayane vs. Ryu scene (am I getting the names right?) is simply amazing. I've never been interested in DOA but this looks quite appealing.

I'd like to know how they made the faces look so perfectly round.

Did they waste most of the GPU polygon budget on them? lol

50-50 on face and boobs I guess.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
PS: I am not sure why Oichi is not saying some of the things I am saying, since he is a much more experienced player than I am. If the reason is that he doesent want to scare newcomers away, then fair enough, I may not be the best ambassador for the game. I just want to point out one thing: VF is the easiest game, execution-wise. the difficult thing is to know what move to use & when to use it, not the actual move itself. I dont play SF4 because apart for not knowing when I should use a move, I cannot execute 60% of them anyway, and I get frustrated.

It's because I don't agree with what you're saying, really. Both VF and DOA are based around the RPS system, I don't think that can be argued. And both games have multiple exceptions to the rule. You could possibly argue that VF has more options when it comes to the throw game, but on the other hand DOA has more options when it comes to the wall/ring game IMO. Really though, the only gripe I have is someone trying to claim that DOA is all about "simple rock/paper/scissors" when that is far from the truth.

How are they doing such intricate self-shadowing? Even the fingers are casting shadows - and even on the hand itself!

I'd like to know how they made the faces look so perfectly round.

Did they waste most of the GPU polygon budget on them? lol
Dat Team Ninja magic's been dormant for a while, but I have a feeling it never left.

DOA2:U and Ninja Gaiden were two of the most fluid, beautiful games last gen. And even DOA3 with its ridiculous environmental effects (leaves dynamically blowing in the wind, insane ice and water reflections in 2001) looked lightyears beyond the impossible.

Even in its alpha stage, DOA5 looks to pick up where DOA4 got complacent, and I couldn't be happier that Dictator Itagaki is out of the picture.

7Th

More stuff to report from FreeStepDodge.

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/xbox...h-dead-alive-5-virtua-fighters-akira-playable

Apparently, that thing about Sega publishing this game is true. Fascinating...

And now, some random tweets from Team Ninja's twitter translated.

- http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/team-ninja-twitter.454/page-21#post-7305

The demo in question seems to be a slightly more polished version of what the press has seen already.

Isn't the "he" they're talking about in the tweets mentioned in that thread Akira? It makes sense to recieve the mascot of Virtua Fighter, Akira, with the mascot of Dead or Alive, Kasumi.

benzy

Dat Team Ninja magic's been dormant for a while, but I have a feeling it never left.

DOA2:U and Ninja Gaiden were two of the most fluid, beautiful games last gen. And even DOA3 with its ridiculous environmental effects (leaves dynamically blowing in the wind, insane ice and water reflections in 2001) looked lightyears beyond the impossible.

Even in its alpha stage, DOA5 looks to pick up where DOA4 got complacent, and I couldn't be happier that Dictator Itagaki is out of the picture.

I think it has more to do with Team Ninja now being a much larger team compared to when Itagaki was there, and there's more budget to play with after the Koei Tecmo merge. No doubt Itagaki leaving resulted in better, less doll looking faces though.

The intricate self shadows look to be carried over from their work on DOAX2, which I thought was more of just a tech demo project to test their game engine advancements.

DOAX2_Wall_Ayane.jpg

TreIII

Isn't the "he" they're talking about in the tweets mentioned in that thread Akira? It makes sense to recieve the mascot of Virtua Fighter, Akira, with the mascot of Dead or Alive, Kasumi.

Seems like that. And there are a few more tweets to be had.

明日発売の週刊ファミ通で、今回のDEAD OR ALIVE 5での『彼』の参戦についての経緯を簡単ではありますが、語っています。

"In tomorrow's Weekly Famitsu, there's a straightforward article about "his" participation and the circumstances leading up to Dead or Alive 5."

バーチャファイターとDEAD OR ALIVE の関係については、また日を改めて詳しくお話ししようと思っています。

Someday we'd also like to go into detail on the relationship between Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter.

Guess that means we can look forward to maybe a lil sumthin-sumthin' in Famitsu this week.

Edit:

...And here we go!

The big news in crossover fighting earlier this week was that Virtua Fighter 5's Akira would be appearing as a playable character in Dead or Alive 5. He may not be alone.

In Famitsu this week, Team Ninja master Yousuke Hayashi reveals that it was he who asked Sega to let Team Ninja include Akira in the game. "Ask" may not be the right word -- something closer to attacking Sega in order to get approval would be more accurate.

Hayashi says that, because they're going to all the trouble of holding this collaboration, Akira probably won't be the only character. It's unclear if he means we'll get more Virtua Fighter characters, or if he's referring to other franchises.

Wondering how Akira will play in the Dead or Alive universe? Hayashi says that the character's commands are basically unchanged from VF.

- http://andriasang.com/con075/doa5_vf_characters/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

SykoTech

If they put in too many more Virtua Fighter characters, then they might make an actual crossover seem less special. That said, I will not complain one bit if they do add more VF people.

And now back to SFxT for me. Boy do I love fighting games, despite being pretty bad at all of them.

Khezu

Can't wait and quite impressed so far, it will be my first DOA since DOA2 on PS2.
It's weird how NG3 seems so uninspired (notwithstanding the team's experience with the two Sigma games) while this is shaping off really nicely.

Ya, kinda sucks that for DoA to be any good, NG had to be thrown under the bus.

On the plus side it is looking REALLY good.

Now lets just hope whoever designed DoA's online functions in the past still works at team ninja dog, those guys are some miracle workers.

I need Lion in this.

Imagine christie and lion as some kind of snake-style tag team. would be great.

Kokoro and Akira will work fine together <3

I would have to think Aoi is most likely to be in if there is another VFer based on her reversals heavy moveset. Of the other characters I think might have a chance I'd rather have Wolf (over Pai, Kage, or Jean).

But I really want The Brad Show.

EYEL1NER

Can't wait for this.
I just bought a copy of DoA Ultimate brand new for $3.9X on eBay to play with a friend in the meantime. I have a copy I got cheap, but it is at home back in Missouri and I figured for $4.00, it would be better to buy the new copy rather than ask a family member to ship it to me.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
ten bucks says that the rest of the guest characters are from Musou games.

is there a word on a vita version?
Dat OLED.

One thing I'm worried about is that the game looks noticeably slower-paced than DOA2-4 (the only ones I've played). I love how lightning fast the moves are in those games, but this one seems a bit more sluggish in that you can actually see the limbs stretch and finish their motions.

Before it was as if the characters' limbs were weightless and reached their target in a millisecond, and I loved it compared to the stiff and uncomfortable Tekken style. Why don't 3D fighting games ever have "Turbo" modes?

Skilletor

Dat OLED.

One thing I'm worried about is that the game looks noticeably slower-paced than DOA2-4 (the only ones I've played). I love how lightning fast the moves are in those games, but this one seems a bit more sluggish in that you can actually see the limbs stretch and finish their motions.

Before it was as if the characters' limbs were weightless and reached their target in a millisecond, and I loved it compared to the stiff and uncomfortable Tekken style. Why don't 3D fighting games ever have "Turbo" modes?

Because 3D fighters require more active defense than most 2D fighters. Turbo modes would be stupid.

Junie12

This game looks great! DOA is my favorite 3D fighter (and the only one I'm good at) so I'm pretty hyped for this
3AQmK.gif

MCD

I think it has more to do with Team Ninja now being a much larger team compared to when Itagaki was there, and there's more budget to play with after the Koei Tecmo merge. No doubt Itagaki leaving resulted in better, less doll looking faces though.

No doll faces in Devil's Third. Let's not try to blame Itagaki for everything now.

It's more of a change in art style than anything.

benzy

No doll faces in Devil's Third. Let's not try to blame Itagaki for everything now.

It's more of a change in art style than anything.

The way the DOA girls have always looked was Itagaki's particular preference, and he never wanted to stray from it. He viewed DOA as more of a happy bright title compared to Ninja Gaiden, which had a more realistic look to their characters (big boobs aside), so the cute Japanese doll faces went with his DOA philosophy.

The girl in Devil's Third still retains some of that weird plastic look though, along with similar shaders as the DOA girls. The game probably looks completely different now, according to Itagaki anyway. Her face model always looked like a placeholder to me, but who knows.

devilsthird_45208_screen.jpg

panda21

VF vs DOA is the last cross over I would have thought of but if it means more VF in some form then I'm happy.

Wondering how Akira will play in the Dead or Alive universe? Hayashi says that the character's commands are basically unchanged from VF.

ALL OVER MY SOUL

Top Bottom