• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Ok, that's what I thought. I wonder what their reason is for a small change like that?
Another weird thing I noticed in the episode summaries is that
Episode 4 says "Davos must revert to his old ways and smuggle Melisandre into a secret cove" and Episode 5 says "The end of the Baratheon rivalry drives Catelyn to flee".
It makes it seem like (ACoK spoiler)
the birthing of the shadows under Storm's End happened before Renly is killed when it happened after in the book.

Arya and Tyrion had the best (and the most) chapters in the book, so you'll probably be rooting for them as well as Jon and Robb of course.

Awesome! My two favorite characters with Arya probably being number one.

Man, I planned on reading the books after watching season 1 but never got around to it. Oh well, guess season 2 will be a lot more exciting to watch now!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is there a good guy to root for like Eddard in the second season?
The only other male figure I felt for or really connected to was John Snow.

Not trying to talk mess at you or anything but I never got this mentality of needing a white knight protagonist to rally behind, especially in a story as complex as this. So many characters have so many reasons for doing things they do. There are quite literally dozens of characters in this series worthy of being emotionally invested in in some way or another.

Ned makes a good moral compass during the first book/season but him being taken out of the picture so early in the series should be taken as a warning that your typical fantasy hero do-gooder mentality isn't going to get you very far and that in order to survive and thrive you have to have much more wit and acumen.

AngryMoth

Episode 4 says "Davos must revert to his old ways and smuggle Melisandre into a secret cove" and Episode 5 says "The end of the Baratheon rivalry drives Catelyn to flee".
the birthing of the shadows under Storm's End happened before Renly is killed when it happened after in the book.
(acok)
I was thinking this too. In Stannis's character profile theres a line where Davos says to him "nothing is worth what you will lose if you do this, not even the iron throne" or something like that so it would seem Davos is aware of what he plans on doing. Its an interesting change, but it might take a lot of the surprise out of Renly's death.

ACOK spoilers
I think in the show there is only going to be one shadow

apana

Going into season 2 all the stark kids are "good" characters aren't they? They each have their own problem to deal with.

Not trying to talk mess at you or anything but I never got this mentality of needing a white knight protagonist to rally behind, especially in a story as complex as this. So many characters have so many reasons for doing things they do. There are quite literally dozens of characters in this series worthy of being emotionally invested in in some way or another.

Ned makes a good moral compass during the first book/season but him being taken out of the picture so early in the series should be taken as a warning that your typical fantasy hero do-gooder mentality isn't going to get you very far and that in order to survive and thrive you have to have much more wit and acumen.

The character doesn't have to be as virtuous as Ned to be a protagonist to rally behind. I'm sure most people go off of their own morals and values and whatever character best portrays them, will be who they root for. Many people can get on the bandwagon for revenge such as Arya's situation, even if revenge isn't an altruistic ideal.

Arment

No it doesn't. Checking right now to be sure.

Nope you're right. Carry on.

Really those events are separate so them being interchanged in time makes little difference.

Socreges

Banned
ACOK:
Arya and Tyrion had the best (and the most) chapters in the book, so you'll probably be rooting for them as well as Jon and Robb of course.
ACOK:
I'd spoiler this since Arya is in some danger throughout the book and knowing that she has the most chapters automatically suggests that she survives everything.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The character doesn't have to be as virtuous as Ned to be a protagonist to rally behind. I'm sure most people go off of their own morals and values and whatever character best portrays them, will be who they root for. Many people can get on the bandwagon for revenge such as Arya's situation, even if revenge isn't an altruistic ideal.

I was going by what Liquidsnake said, a "good guy" to root for, like Ned. There aren't many characters in this show that are as black and white as just being a good or bad guy.

Wow awesome reply's guys.

I have not read the books, but I expect Tyrion Lannister's story to be rather interesting. I did enjoy him very much during season one.

Arment

I was going by what Liquidsnake said, a "good guy" to root for, like Ned. There aren't many characters in this show that are as black and white as just being a good or bad guy.

Jon is the closest to Ned out of every single character in the show imo.

He walks the line a few times, but nothing Ned wouldn't have done I think.

If anyone is looking to root for a truly good person I give it to Jon.

Fuzzy

No it doesn't. Checking right now to be sure.

Nope you're right. Carry on.

Really those events are separate so them being interchanged in time makes little difference.
It does if what AngryMoth and Steelyuhas posted in their spoilers
ends up being true since it seems they may be combining them into one event which will take away the shock of how Renly died in the book because you know something is about to happen.

(acok)
I was thinking this too. In Stannis's character profile theres a line where Davos says to him "nothing is worth what you will lose if you do this, not even the iron throne" or something like that so it would seem Davos is aware of what he plans on doing. Its an interesting change, but it might take a lot of the surprise out of Renly's death.

ACOK spoilers
I think in the show there is only going to be one shadow

Azrael

Is there a good guy to root for like Eddard in the second season?
The only other male figure I felt for or really connected to was John Snow.

Robb, Jon, and Davos.

Tyrion and Stannis aren't traditional heroes IMO, although Stannis sees himself as one. Tyrion is more of a true neutral and Stannis lawful neutral.

AngryMoth

ends up being true since it seems they may be combining them into one event which will take away the shock of how Renly died in the book because you know something is about to happen.
(ACOK)
Going by the line about the secret cove, I think it sounds like they're keeping both. The whole point of the cove is that Mel had to be inside Storms End to set her shadow against the castellan because the castle was warded, whereas Renly's camp had no magical protection so she didn't need Davos's help. The only exception would be if Renly were held up in Storms End but that doesn't seem to be the case.

jett

D-Member
Robb, Jon, and Davos.

Tyrion and Stannis aren't traditional heroes IMO, although Stannis sees himself as one. Tyrion is more of a true neutral and Stannis lawful neutral.

Stannis is an unlikeable dickwad, that's what he is.

Azrael

(ADwD spoilers)
Is that Ros with Theon? I wonder if she'll return to Winterfell after Joffrey abuses her, become Theon's lover, and end up being the unfortunate girl who gets hunted down by Ramsay's dogs.

Arment

ACoK
The shadow she spawns under Dragonstone isn't the shadow that kills Renly though. If I'm missing something tell me, but that seems to be the issue with the timing from what I gather.

AngryMoth

Fucking chills at the end of the Greyjoy one. I can see myself enjoying the story of the iron islands a lot more on screen than I did in the books.

But still, no House Martell, no pledge

Palmer_v1

Fucking chills at the end of the Greyjoy one. I can see myself enjoy the story of the iron islands a lot more on screen than I did in the books.

I'd pledge tothe black brotherhood if it was available. Crow for life!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Man, people be trashing the Greyjoys in the comments
except for the book folks ;)

I love the Greyjoys just for having the phrase "paying the iron price." So aweome.

Fuzzy

ACoK
The shadow she spawns under Dragonstone isn't the shadow that kills Renly though. If I'm missing something tell me, but that seems to be the issue with the timing from what I gather.
ACoK
In the book they were two different shadows (it's possible they were the same one that returned to her and she birthed it again later, I don't know). My problem is when the shadow killed Renly we had no idea it was coming or anything like that was coming and Cat fled with Brienne right after it happened. It was a truly shocking moment. If they show Melisandre being smuggled under Storm's End (not Dragonstone, that's where Stannis' story starts in ACoK) to birth the shadow then it will ruin that shock of Renly being killed out of nowhere even if they keep it as two separate events.

Just so we're clear, in the book Brienne is helping Renly get ready for the coming battle and Cat is in the tent with them. The shadow comes out of nowhere and kills Renly (huge shock) and his men think Brienne did it. Cat convinced one of the guards that didn't happened and he gave Cat and Brienne enough time to get away. Later after all of Renly's men went over to Stannis' side they laid siege to Storm's End. Davos smuggles Melisandre under Storm's End where she births a shadow (a different one or the same one from before but birthed a second time, it doesn't tell us) so that it can kill the castellan (not shocking because we saw one kill Renly) so that the rest of Storm's End will give up and hand over Robert's bastard.

I'm curious how they're going to handle it taking into account what they posted in the episode summaries.

jett

D-Member
Fucking chills at the end of the Greyjoy one. I can see myself enjoying the story of the iron islands a lot more on screen than I did in the books.

If the show makes me enjoy watching those stupid pieces of shit then show producers have failed.

AngryMoth

As someone in the comments over at WiCnet pointed out, there are some grisly spoilers in the Greyjoy vid.
Two, to be precise.

**SPOILERS**

http://i.imgur.com/9EkYf.jpg
Holy shit! (ACOK)
I always thought I was just the heads he mounted. Still, seeing that image just opens up old wounds with the casting. How the fuck can they do that story arc without Reek?!

Just to reiterate for non-book readers do not click that image under any circumstances.

If the show makes me enjoy watching those stupid pieces of shit then show producers have failed.
Don't have to like 'em for it to be fun to watch =D.
The Greyjoys are characters I love to hate, actually. Except Aeron. Hope he gets given to a night fire at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom