• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT5| Que Jara, Jara. Whatever Will Be, Will Be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
czwadc.gif

Previous Threads
|OT1| Spa1n v The Netherland5 - Includes all schedule information and team profiles.
|OT2| Germany Müllers Portugal
|OT3| Football is never coming home
|OT4| What can European men do against such reckless heat?

Jeff-DSA

From the last threadk...

it will be a boring 1-0 match and the entire world will be watching the game with minimal fouls and minimal challenges and no bookings to a 1-0 victory for Germany that ensures USA's passage to 2nd place for his mentor Klinsmann

the fix is in even if they deny it.

show me blood, yellow cards, hard tackle in the box.. then I will believe you

It's not a fix if both teams want to avoid bookings, injury, and rest up going into the knockout rounds. Both teams will want to win, but they're not going to get beat up or a player sent off in the process. I think it'll be one of those games where both teams try pretty hard out of the gate and settle into a more passive style as it goes on.

Greece played better and the penalty was correct.

Sorry IC, but Greece deserved to advance.

So Greece decides to play attacking soccer for only 15 minutes out of 270+ minutes of group play, and they deserve to advance? That's such horse-shit.

This still didn't score one legit goal all tournament. The first was a gift card from the IC defender's blunder. A 12-year-old youth player could have capitalized off that blunder. And the second was a penalty kick from a modest foul at best.

The couple of times they hit the goal post were from random solo hopefully efforts that got lucky, not from a sustained offense or built up attacks. Their style of soccer needs to be burnt with fire. Smaller countries like Costa Rica, Ghana, and Chili have shown that small soccer powers or underdogs don't need to park the bus to get results.

I hope Costa Rica can put Greece down in the second round because they have no business whatsoever being in the quarterfinals. Disgraceful.

Uruguay and Greece are the two teams I hope get humiliated in the second round.

snaffles

Looking forward to tonight's matches, hoping Iran can pull off a win against Bosnia and sneak into the next round. They were pretty unlucky in the last match against Argentina and only need a one goal turnaround on goal difference with Nigeria.
Is it soccer or football

The correct answer is sootball.
sootyxyspv.jpg

Yes Greece do play a very defensive form of football which is boring to watch, but the other 2 teams didnt deserve to go through either. Ivory Coast, for all their big name players, failed to perform and Japan were wasteful as hell with possession and lacked any real quality on all their games.

Looking forward to see how Colombia do against sterner opposition, which shouldnt be Uruguay once Count Suarez gets banned.

smurfx

get some go again
imnnghCC2XYPA.png

hoping for a nigerian win so that conmebol and concacaf stay at opposite ends of the bracket for the most part.

Neo C.

What an irony, the limited greek football holds the flag for UEFA, while the so called big football nations go home.

Greece deserves to advance, once again they've fought with all they've got and have managed to sneak into the best 16.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can we all come together on the fact that Mexico needs to go as far as possible just for more Miguel Herrera reactions?

$200

Banned
Which game should I watch tomorrow?

I can only watch the first game, mind you. Gotta go work after that. D:<

Argentina and Nigeria one of course, unless you are a fan of Iran or Bosnia.

This will be a rematch between Messi and Vincent Enyeama. When these two teams met at the world cup last time, Enyeama won.

snaffles

What an irony, the limited greek football holds the flag for UEFA, while the so called big football nations go home.

Greece deserves to advance, once again they've fought with all they've got and have managed to sneak into the best 16.

Well the Netherlands, France, Germany, and Belgium will all be there too, as well as possibly Russia and Switzerland, it isn't like they are the sole representative.

KingK

Can we all come together on the fact that Mexico needs to go as far as possible just for more Miguel Herrera reactions?

Yes. Mexico needs to go far on their side for Herrera reaction gifs, and Colombia on the other side for super hot fans and great victory dance gifs.

keuja

I think the Netherlands, France and Germany hold the flag for Europe.

Jeff-DSA

Just getting out of the group would be a huge accomplishment for the United States. Everybody was counting us out, and we're here with favorable odds to advance. Even if we don't, it's obvious that the team is improving at a nice pace. It's a bummer that Klinsmann hasn't had even more time leading the USMNT. Bradley as manager set us back a few years, especially when Dempsey and Donovan were in their best form.

meanspartan

I was in Greece visiting family in 2004 when they won the Euro Cup. Haven't been back since, though I am finally going again in August! What I remember most was how electric the atmosphere was. My very first day there, I was jet-lagged and sleepily watched a Greek team that had somehow gotten through a group that featured Spain, Russia, and hosts Portugal go up against the defending Euro 2000 champions, France. 1-0. The cafe I was in in Argos, and all of Argos, exploded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joALQQIgVDg

At that point, everyone was just fucking thrilled to have the team get that far. Just watching the Euro semifinal was a party, I don't think people would have even been too down if they had lost. But they didn't- just as double overtime was ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8T1VY-fu0

Then finally Portugal. This is all anecdotal, but at this point the nation was not just "happy to be there", they were hungry. And they had already upset host Portugal 2-1 in the opening match of the group stage. And yet after all these defeated odds, they remained the underdog. But then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1P7PZIf2RU

What great times. I can't sit here with a straight face and predict Greece will win the World Cup, or even that they can beat Costa Rica, who has been playing stupid good football. But I am thankful to the team for bringing a little bit of much-needed joy to a country that has had a hellish few years. And though they remain longshots, I am reminded of the most appropriate use of Adidas' old slogan back in 2004:

uwk5XWu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom