• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT7| Krul luck for Costa Rica after masterstroke from van Gaal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconian

That makes no sense

And I disagree with the general point anyway. If Gareth Bale has incredible seasons forever and scores a hat trick in the next five CL finals, is he never going to be in the GOAT conversation because his country is shit?

Club football is a higher level than international football; the only way the World Cup comes close in terms of difficulty is pressure. Messi has been the best player in his side for all five matches so far. If they win this World Cup, he'll have been the key figure. He doesn't need another one. The rest of his career proves that.

Spot on. He's been ace in this tournament and carried the team on his back in the group stages especially. He'll show up on Wednesday, but the rest of the team is the question.

Probity

No hate for Germany - rather, indifference. Germany are boring.

Fair enough, I won't fully deny that this year's Germany isn't the most fun team in the tournament to watch from a neutral perspective, but I always enjoy watching my team, I guess. I hope they prove people wrong tomorrow and look entertaining overall, there really are a lot of players that should be considered fun, it is just the system.

Fair enough, I won't fully deny that this year's Germany isn't the most fun team in the tournament to watch from a neutral perspective, but I always enjoy watching my team, I guess. I hope they prove people wrong tomorrow and look entertaining overall, there really are a lot of players that should be considered fun, it is just the system.

They're in it to win it this year. They played beautifully in 2010, scoring loads of goals with their breathtaking pace and attacking display and where did that get them?

A rather quick exit at the semis against a brickwalling tiki-taka Spain who unceremoniously kicked them out with just a single goal.

After their annihilation of Argentina and England in the previous rounds with a record 8 goals combined, I was confident that they'd steamroll Spain. What happened instead was heartbreaking. Low made the right decision this year to have the team adopt a more cautious and industrial approach to their games.

Probity

They're in it to win it this year. They played beautifully in 2010, scoring loads of goals with their breathtaking pace and attacking display and where did that get them?

A rather quick exit at the semis against a brickwalling tiki-taka Spain who unceremoniously kicked them out with just a single goal.

After their annihilation of Argentina and England in the previous rounds with a record 8 goals combined, I was confident that they'd steamroll Spain. What happened instead was heartbreaking. Low made the right decision this year to have the team adopt a more cautious and industrial approach to their games.

I never said it wasn't smart. We've played like 12 years of entertaining football that led to the semifinals over and over again, but never got us all the way. It is really painful to be so entertained and then fall flat at the final hurdle.

Now, we play with a strong tactical approach that is more dependable overall, I guess, considering that it takes away a lot of the issues that we couldn't handle in the past. Now, if we get behind, based on what happened in the Ghana game, we can sort of go a little more like past style and strike like lightning for the kill.

iirc, we came back to tie with some extreme attacking football in that game, pushed pretty hard and played much faster when we needed it, reminded me of 2010 almost. I think the style makes a lot of sense, I just hope that it can be adapted to keep the efficiency and safety while still holding a higher tempo, because our slow game is looking like our major fault in my opinion.

cafemomo

Remember the guy who broke his TV during Brazil x Chile PKs? He got a free new TV.

http://uolesporte.blogosfera.uol.co...e-nova-de-patrocinador-da-selecao-brasileira/

LtFykbq.jpg

he got a samsung

poor fellow

This is incredible! =')

Being deaf and blind at the same time is like my worst nightmare. That man is strong.

I've seen and heard of lots of stories like this and it always sucks to think the team they are supporting could lose. I mean, how gutted is that guy gonna be if Brazil lose tomorrow.

Linius

Messi greatest of all time? Why? Because he had the privilege to play with a generation of spainish footballers that grew up together? Arguably, one of the best club teams ever assembled... What a crock of shit.

Messi needs to win a WC to even be in the conversation.

Go home man, you're drunk.

Messi greatest of all time? Why? Because he had the privilege to play with a generation of spainish footballers that grew up together? Arguably, one of the best club teams ever assembled... What a crock of shit.

Messi needs to win a WC to even be in the conversation.

There is no I in team

Aww shieeettt, today is the day once again.

Can't wait...and to all people disliking germany or saying they are boring. We last two world cups we played some rather good football (not on par with spain but spain was another league especially 2010) but good football doesnt win the bog ones. Löw finally realized that playing beautiful is nonsense, if you do it all game long.
I just hope that if we get to the Final against either Argentina oder Netherlands, we will still have all our player (minus Mustafi) we need our A-game for the final

He is the reason it is one of the best club teams ever assembled.

Messi is GOAT.

He is statistically the best player of all times. It's just insane what he does with the ball and how efficently he does it. But to be part of the GOAT club you definitely need to win the World Cup once. And it's not like he doesn't have a chance to get it cause of his country.

spekkeh

Banned
DerZuhälter;119981890 said:
He is statistically the best player of all times. It's just insane what he does with the ball and how efficently he does it. But to be part of the GOAT club you definitely need to win the World Cup once. And it's not like he doesn't have a chance to get it cause of his country.
Meh DiStefano (rip) never even played the world cup. And there's some other GOAT ones that also never won (Cruijff, Eusebio).

fuenf

I agree. That's exactly why Brazil needs to lose today and needs to lose badly (which they will). Maybe the 3rd place match will show them what it means to 'play' football once again. Every other team / country would've been torn to pieces over the shit Brazil & their fans did in this World Cup.

DerZuhälter;119981890 said:

Doesnt make sense, football has become far more competitive now. It's just harder for one player to determine the outcome of a game than it was 30-40 years okay. All these comparison of current players vs "old legends" are bullshit anyway. If anything this World Cup proves that Messi really does carry his team and home country, winning the title IMO isnt all that important anymore. He finally got rid of the "Messi sucks at the WC / for Argentina" stigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom