• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT4| What can European men do against such reckless heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cube444

Greeeeece!!!

10488341_10152514936467970_7463025739562113777_n.jpg

Where is Samaras in this pic?

Massa

That's very different. It was not apparent during the game.
People became aware of that years later.

But Maradona's handball in ARGxENG would provoke some suicide bombings at FIFA HQ. lol

Branco told the press right after the match, he complained to the ref during the match. It just didn't blow up at the time because we didn't have the resources we do now.

This rules are about offences inside the penalty area.

The fouls you linked to are in the indirect free-kick section of the rules which also apply to fouls inside the penalty area.

What exactly are you saying isn't clear cut about the penalty? And that video you linked to was an indirect as there was no contact on the player, Samaras was tripped.

I wonder how long it will take (if ever) for FIFA to allow use of tech to prevent many of the awful decisions made by refs. A true fair play.

I guess they think it would be disrespectful to refs or that it would take power away from them, I don't know. So many terrible fuck ups that could be easily avoided though.

Kensuke

The fouls you linked to are in the indirect free-kick section of the rules which also apply to fouls inside the penalty area.

What exactly are you saying isn't clear cut about the penalty?

Well, just like that foul from the Real Madrid clip I'd argue that this foul from the defender was unintentional. The defender stands in the way, but it is Samaras that clips his leg against the defender. Not a clear cut foul, but the defender does impede the progress of an opponent. As stated before, according to the rules not every foul inside the box merits a penalty. So in my opinion it's an indirect free kick.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Gonna watch a replay of Uruguay-Italy since it was on way too early and it sounds like a lot of shit went down in that one. I don't even care that the result was spoiled for me, I want to see the carnage.

Well, just like that foul from the Real Madrid clip I'd argue that this foul from the defender was unintentional. The defender stands in the way, but it is Samaras that clips his leg against the defender. Not a clear cut foul, but the defender does impede the progress of an opponent. As stated before, according to the rules not every foul inside the box merits a penalty. So in my opinion it's an indirect free kick.

Samaras' leg hits the defender because the CIV player makes a challenge from behind that is nowhere near the ball and he can clearly see Samaras in front of him. It's a clumsy mistake from the defender and is a clear penalty.....any day of the week. He had no need at all to plant his foot where he did.

http://www.gfycat.com/ParallelHelpfulBongo

Acorn

Samaras' leg hits the defender because the CIV player makes a challenge from behind that is nowhere near the ball and he can clearly see Samaras in front of him. It's a clumsy mistake from the defender and is a clear penalty.....any day of the week. He had no need at all to plant his foot where he did.

http://www.gfycat.com/ParallelHelpfulBongo
100%

And it was a great catch by the ref because when I saw it in real time I thought it was a dive.

God I love Greece. Half because everyone involved in football seems to hate them - the BBC pundits and commentators were openly mocking them during all their games ("they are the best team in the world at time wasting"), and half because I love that they're a team that works together to play above their level and actually won a tournament doing it. Legends.

God I love Greece. Half because everyone involved in football seems to hate them - the BBC pundits and commentators were openly mocking them during all their games ("they are the best team in the world at time wasting"), and half because I love that they're a team that works together to play above their level and actually won a tournament doing it. Legends.

I have mixed feelings about Greece, for one I agree with everything you said, but on the other hand their style of football is really tough to watch.

Greece is the kind of a team a guy could really like if you didn't need to watch the games.

Firemind

Seriously, they beat Zidane, Nedved and final boss Ronaldo. Mad props.

meanspartan

Hell yes.

I am so sick of so called football fans hating on Greece and practically demanding that Greece play offensively so they'll conveniently lose. No way Greece can keep up with the big teams if it becomes an offensive shootout. So they found a niche style of play that works for them, strong defense + Counterattack. It doesn't always work (as Colombia proved), but it gives them a chance. It let them hold onto a draw vs Japan while being down a man for more than half the game, and it got them the W tonight.

After their win in Euro 2004, excellent qualifier performance in the past 10 years, and now this progression, they have proven that their style is perfectly valid. I'm not saying it is gonna win them the world cup (and Costa Rica is an awesome team that will be tough to beat), but they ARE in the Round of 16 while so many other countries aren't. If they had played offensively and done their best Brazil impression or something, they would have gotten slaughtered.

meanspartan

Greece is the kind of a team a guy could really like if you didn't need to watch the games.

Did you watch the match today? For all the bitching about the penalty kick at the end (which WAS a foul, watch the replay), were it not for some awful fucking luck with so many shots hitting the post, Greece would have won 3-1 or 4-1.

are-you-not-entertained.gif

Southern Brazil has been invaded by close to 100,000 Argentinians who have been crossing the border in droves to watch their country’s match against Nigeria.

This has prompted concern among the authorities because only 16,000 have bought tickets in advance for the game in Porto Alegre, the closest host city to Argentinahttp://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/24/world-cup-diary-argentina-fans-invasion

Damn Argies.

Finally some action in this sterilized-for-Europe tournament?

BOCAJR2.jpg

Did you watch the match today? For all the bitching about the penalty kick at the end (which WAS a foul, watch the replay), were it not for some awful fucking luck with so many shots hitting the post, Greece would have won 3-1 or 4-1.

are-you-not-entertained.gif

The game today was an exception not the rule. If their games were like that every time there would probably be less complaints. But like I was saying earlier what are neutrals supposed to do? Force ourselves?

They have the right to play however they want and people have the right to say that it's awful to watch.

meanspartan

Being a valid tactic doesn't mean neutrals are obligated to like it.

You don't have to. But it goes beyond dislike, some people even try to invalidate their Euro 2004 win because of their play style. They don't play "right"

It's fucking fear is what it is. Even now, of course Greece is a longshot. As a fan, I can't say with a serious face that I expect them to beat Costa Rica.

But those European team fans especially remember Euro 2004, they remember that series of 1-0 wins for Greece in the 2nd round over teams they had no business beating (France, Czech Republic, Portugal).

What's worse than watching a style of football you disapprove of? Having your beloved team lose to it. That is where the hatred comes from. If Greece played defensively and did what they are expected to do, lose, nobody would care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom