• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT4| What can European men do against such reckless heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elty

If Greece played defensively and did what they are expected to do, lose, nobody would care.

Of course no one would care if they lose, because then neutral don't have to watch another boring game. It was boring as hell to watch Greece/Spain progressed through 1-0 all tournament long.

Fox318

FatherlyDiscreteAmethystgemclam.gif

The theatrics are hilarious lol

Chiellini should have swung his elbow back hard enough to break his nose.

Acorn

You don't have to. But it goes beyond dislike, some people even try to invalidate their Euro 2004 win because of their play style. They don't play "right"

It's fucking fear is what it is. Even now, of course Greece is a longshot. As a fan, I can't say with a serious face that I expect them to beat Costa Rica.

But those European team fans especially remember Euro 2004, they remember that series of 1-0 wins for Greece in the 2nd round over teams they had no business beating (France, Czech Republic, Portugal).

What's worse than watching a style of football you disapprove of? Having your beloved team lose to it. That is where the hatred comes from. If Greece played defensively and did what they are expected to do, lose, nobody would care.
That's fair enough, I'm just saying that a lot of people do not enjoy that brand of football. Its the same reason that Allardyce, Pulis et al get shit.

Celtic got shit for it when we beat Barca so I can understand your frustration but I can also understand that it isn't very good to watch for a lot of people.

cafemomo

日本がギリシャをサポートしています!

日本がアルゼンチンをサポートしています

yTovkB6.jpg

Buzzati

Banned
kwtwbh.gif

What the fuck is this thing? It looks like an animatronic fuckchild from hell. Is that CG or am I just being an asshole to a little kid?

alterno69

Banned
Lol at the Greece hate, they play to their strength, i can't hate that, sure it's not fun to watch but they play to win, not to please, not every team can play jogo bonito.

I was actually rooting for them back in 2004 just for the european meltdowns and them being the underdogs.

well, intent aint everything

no red there didnt bother me that much but if that dude wasnt subbed soon it was 11 vs 9

No, but the lack of intent makes that a yellow because of dangerous play. Just like when you lift your foot face high. It looks bad, but that's never a red card.

Rikkun

he had a horrible half, Italy did right to sub him for the 2nd half before he got himself booked again.

This.

It's no wonder Buffon and De Rossi both used hard words against the young players. I'm just sad this was the last world cup match for many awesome players.

Drpunch

Neo Member
I don't particularly like the way Greece play, but being defensive is a valid way to play. As other people have said, Greece don't stand a chance playing toe-to-toe with other, more talented teams. What matters in the end is they win. If opposing teams cannot break them down, that's their problem, not Greece's.

Salsa

Are you guys OK with the Marchisio red?

It's been talked about some. General consensus seems to be that even tho the guy wasnt applying any bone breaking pressure or anything, he still pulled stubs on the leg a meter away from the ref. It wasnt NASTY, but it was text book red.

Clydefrog

It's been talked about some. General consensus seems to be that even tho the guy wasnt applying any bone breaking pressure or anything, he still pulled stubs on the leg a meter away from the ref. It wasnt NASTY, but it was text book red.

I thought easy yellow but to give straight red was nuts. The ref wasn't calling shit before that.

This may be the first time I feel sorry for Italy with that red card and the vampire bite

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu my flight didn't have tv with live sports. Only been on one flight that did....but still held out hope until the last minute. No games for me today :(

alterno69

Banned
So, my picks for tomorrow
F
Nigeria 1-2 Argentina
Bosnia 0-1 Iran

E
Honduras 1-3 Suiza
Ecuador 0-3 Francia

Sorry Concacaf bros but Honduras is shit, get rid of that manager ASAP.

Jams775

Nah, that's one of the freakiest things I've ever seen. What is going on with his (or its) mouth?

kwtwbh.gif

What the fuck is this thing? It looks like an animatronic fuckchild from hell. Is that CG or am I just being an asshole to a little kid?

I like how the kid (monster?) can't decide on which moves he's going to do. He knows he's going to stick his tongue out but he's not sure if he should pound his chest which air humping or pull his shirt up and gyrate his hips like Beyonce.

Hyllian

I'll post here some statistics I've got in another forum:

Atualizado | Actualizado | Updated

Ranking de público até o momento (+1.9 milhão)
Ranking de público hasta el momento (+1.9 million)
Attendance ranking so far (+1.9 million)

24-Jun-2014 | 15h BRT

12-new-public.jpg

NOTES:

I. The source of these figures is fifa.com. All are official FIFA numbers.

II. The Occupancy that is here shown is based on the availible seat (according to the # of tkt FIFA placed for sale in each venue, not in the venue capacity). All venues are bigger than and have room for about 3.000 to 5.000 more seats, however FIFA decreased the capacity to make room for the press stands, VIP and invited areas, gratuity areas, etc.

III. The public is not restricted to remain seated all times. It is normal for the public to stand at the panoramic hallways, look for friends seating in other areas of the stadia, stand in bars and restaurants inside the stadia, etc.

IV. According to Fifa they scan every ticket from regular fans to VIP fans, so they believe their attendance figures are foolproof. This also confirms that Fifa report people in the stadium as opposed to paid attendance.

Bloody hell the Greece penalty looked like such a dive at first, but the replays showed it was a definite penalty.

Greece getting through on basically one good performance shows just how weak Group C was though. With Japan and Ivory Coast disappointing, Columbia cruised through and Greece got through with ultra defensive play and a bit of luck with a penalty in stoppage time in their last group game.

Still think their Euro 2004 run was a bit of a fluke so I don't see them getting past CR in the next round.

CR is a dream run I can get behind. Them making the final 8 would just about be one of the things people least expected before this tournament started, and they play enjoyable to watch football as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom