• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT5| Que Jara, Jara. Whatever Will Be, Will Be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
uwk5XWu.jpg

I wasn't in Greece unfortunately but I remember that time. My schoolmates in Germany made fun of the Greek team before the Euro Cup began, until Germany got eliminated. What happened next was the most of my classmates rooted for the hosting nation, Portugal. We had a Portuguese boy in our class who, quite ironically, was my best friend at the time. When Greece won we all went to the Greek corners of Hamburg and celebrated all night long. I didn't rub Greek's win under the nose of my friend though, that would be just mean.
Euro Cup, Olympia, Eurovision, man, those were the days.

Neo C.

According to spiegel.de, a Swedish guy bet on Suarez biting someone during the WC and has now received 175 times of his bet money. Well played. :,)

I'm still so salty about the Ivory Coast and Greece game.

All Greek fans should probably still clear of me, I'm not well.

Hopefully Nigeria can wash out this bitter after-taste, but I have a feeling it's going to be yet another African disappointment.

Yesterday, we were on track to get 4 African teams into the round of 16. Now I'm feeling there probably won't be any. FUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Soul Beat

According to spiegel.de, a Swedish guy bet on Suarez biting someone during the WC and has now received 175 times of his bet money. Well played. :,)
Maybe that's why Suarez bit Chiellini and now the guy is wiring Suarez his cut of the money. /tinfoilhat

meanspartan

I wasn't in Greece unfortunately but I remember that time. My schoolmates in Germany made fun of the Greek team before the Euro Cup began, until Germany got eliminated. What happened next was the most of my classmates rooted for the hosting nation, Portugal. We had a Portuguese boy in our class who, quite ironically, was my best friend at the time. When Greece won we all went to the Greek corners of Hamburg and celebrated all night long. I didn't rub Greek's win under the nose of my friend though, that would be just mean.
Euro Cup, Olympia, Eurovision, man, those were the days.

2004 was the year man. It's kinda been downhill ever since :-/

Most Germans I knew here in the states were rooting for Greece following Germany's elimination, cuz Greece had a German coach, Otto Rehhagel. In fact, though he left in 2010 following Greece's unremarkable world cup showing (they did at least finally get their first world cup match win, 2-1 vs. Nigeria), his defensive approach remains with Greece. He knew they were never gonna win any shootouts with the elite teams, and so he remade the team as defensively focused. It doesn't always work, but it got them Euro 2004 and it's gotten them into the Round of 16 now.

Oh and when they got second place in their group in Euro 2004 to move onto the second round, they did so on a 2-1 win, a draw, and a loss, equaling 4 points.

Just saying ;-)

Draconian

Criticizing Greece's style is just pointless to me. They showed 10 years ago that you can win a whole tournament that way. With the squad they have, of course they're going to be defensive minded. Not every team has to dominate possession or create tons of chances to advance. They needed a win to advance and they got it. Congratulations to them and their fans and good luck against Costa Rica.

Arjen

You know what i like to hate on Greece as well but Greece was the better team yesterday, and had some great changes, they made the next round fair and square, good on them.
Congratc Greek GAF.

FuturusX

Greece were very lucky. Ivory Coast didn't manage the game well enough at all. At 1-1 they gave the ball away to cheaply.

I still maintain that there really isn't enough quality in the Greek side to do anything of note. They managed to escape the group..fair play to them. But they'll have to up their game to do anything significant.

Bishop89

I was in Greece visiting family in 2004 when they won the Euro Cup. Haven't been back since, though I am finally going again in August! What I remember most was how electric the atmosphere was. My very first day there, I was jet-lagged and sleepily watched a Greek team that had somehow gotten through a group that featured Spain, Russia, and hosts Portugal go up against the defending Euro 2000 champions, France. 1-0. The cafe I was in in Argos, and all of Argos, exploded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joALQQIgVDg

At that point, everyone was just fucking thrilled to have the team get that far. Just watching the Euro semifinal was a party, I don't think people would have even been too down if they had lost. But they didn't- just as double overtime was ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8T1VY-fu0

Then finally Portugal. This is all anecdotal, but at this point the nation was not just "happy to be there", they were hungry. And they had already upset host Portugal 2-1 in the opening match of the group stage. And yet after all these defeated odds, they remained the underdog. But then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1P7PZIf2RU

What great times. I can't sit here with a straight face and predict Greece will win the World Cup, or even that they can beat Costa Rica, who has been playing stupid good football. But I am thankful to the team for bringing a little bit of much-needed joy to a country that has had a hellish few years. And though they remain longshots, I am reminded of the most appropriate use of Adidas' old slogan back in 2004:

uwk5XWu.jpg

All headers too.

It was an amazing time to be a greek :')

I know this is the case for any country who wins, but it makes you truly proud when your team wins.

Reuenthal

Banned
So Greece decides to play attacking soccer for only 15 minutes out of 270+ minutes of group play, and they deserve to advance? That's such horse-shit.

This still didn't score one legit goal all tournament. The first was a gift card from the IC defender's blunder. A 12-year-old youth player could have capitalized off that blunder. And the second was a penalty kick from a modest foul at best.

The couple of times they hit the goal post were from random solo hopefully efforts that got lucky, not from a sustained offense or built up attacks. Their style of soccer needs to be burnt with fire. Smaller countries like Costa Rica, Ghana, and Chili have shown that small soccer powers or underdogs don't need to park the bus to get results.

I hope Costa Rica can put Greece down in the second round because they have no business whatsoever being in the quarterfinals. Disgraceful.

Uruguay and Greece are the two teams I hope get humiliated in the second round.

Just because the team you support get disqualified you don't need to imagine the opposing teams to be disgraceful.

Man, you are such an embarassing sore loser after a game in which Greece outperformed Ivory Coast. Two legit goals, crossposts, and one or two yellow cards fouls (I am not complaining they were right to do those fouls) that could have very wel been a goal if not for them, due to some nice runs and passing from the Greek team and you are whining about no legit goals and not sufficiently attacking football for your soreloser standards.

meanspartan

Greece were very lucky. Ivory Coast didn't manage the game well enough at all. At 1-1 they gave the ball away to cheaply.

I still maintain that there really isn't enough quality in the Greek side to do anything of note. They managed to escape the group..fair play to them. But they'll have to up their game to do anything significant.

Lucky? The score shoulda been 3-1 or 4-1 with all the damn shots hitting posts. They created more opportunities and outplayed Ivory Coast quite clearly.

I agree that they are certainly a longshot, and even if they manage to top Costa Rica it will only get much tougher versus their most likely opponent in the following match, the Netherlands.

But, I think the same criticism about how much "Quality" they had could have been made in 2004. Talent is hugely important yes, but don't EVER count out heart. And god damn, this team proved today finally that they may have some of that.

meanspartan

So Greece decides to play attacking soccer for only 15 minutes out of 270+ minutes of group play, and they deserve to advance? That's such horse-shit.

This still didn't score one legit goal all tournament. The first was a gift card from the IC defender's blunder. A 12-year-old youth player could have capitalized off that blunder. And the second was a penalty kick from a modest foul at best.

The couple of times they hit the goal post were from random solo hopefully efforts that got lucky, not from a sustained offense or built up attacks. Their style of soccer needs to be burnt with fire. Smaller countries like Costa Rica, Ghana, and Chili have shown that small soccer powers or underdogs don't need to park the bus to get results.

I hope Costa Rica can put Greece down in the second round because they have no business whatsoever being in the quarterfinals. Disgraceful.

Uruguay and Greece are the two teams I hope get humiliated in the second round.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH.

You got beat because like Portugal, France, and Czech Republic before you, you underestimated the Greeks. I'll be the first to admit that we will never be favorites or the most talented, but those who count us out do so at their own risk.

And you are fucking lucky you didn't lose 4-1. A couple shots not hitting posts, and that woulda been the score.

Even if Greece is maybe the weakest of all teams which got or will get into the next round. The victory against Ivory Coast was well-deserved. Several great chances while IC was just weak in the second half.

FuturusX

Lucky? The score shoulda been 3-1 or 4-1 with all the damn shots hitting posts. They created more opportunities and outplayed Ivory Coast quite clearly.

I agree that they are certainly a longshot, and even if they manage to top Costa Rica it will only get much tougher versus their most likely opponent in the following match, the Netherlands.

But, I think the same criticism about how much "Quality" they had could have been made in 2004. Talent is hugely important yes, but don't EVER count out heart. And god damn, this team proved today finally that they may have some of that.

Heart? In the World CUP? We go through this every 4 years. When we get to the business end of the competition let's take a look at where Greece are at. Greece are not going to win the World Cup. That's pure fantasy.

Ivory Coast were naive, at 1-1 the game should have been over. Most teams would have managed the game leaving Greece nothing to sniff at..that's were Greece were lucky..they were given several chances that in all honesty they should not have had.

Credit for Greece for keeping the faith but Ivory Coast handed them a gift on both goals.

Bishop89

WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH.

You got beat because like Portugal, France, and Czech Republic before you, you underestimated the Greeks. I'll be the first to admit that we will never be favorites or the most talented, but those who count us out do so at their own risk.

And you are fucking lucky you didn't lose 4-1. A couple shots not hitting posts, and that woulda been the score.

Never let your guard down with us Greeks ;)

Divius

OT5! subscribing!

About to check the highlights for the gre - civ game yesterday, didn't see either of the matches.

FuturusX

Colombia looks so sexy. Now that's the performance of the day that should have dominated this thread. James Rodríguez Hnnnngggggg

meanspartan

Heart? In the World CUP? We go through this every 4 years. When we get to the business end of the competition let's take a look at where Greece are at. Greece are not going to win the World Cup. That's pure fantasy.

Ivory Coast were naive, at 1-1 the game should have been over. Most teams would have managed the game leaving Greece nothing to sniff at..that's were Greece were lucky..they were given several chances that in all honesty they should not have had.

Credit for Greece for keeping the faith but Ivory Coast handed them a gift on both goals.

So answer me this. If this were ten years ago, would you not have said the same exact thing about Greece making it to the second round of Euro 2004 and heading into a match vs France?

Sure, it isn't the World Cup of course, so a lot of the titans of the game aren't involved. But they still got through France, the Czech Republic, and Portugal (twice). Would you have predicted that back then?

I am not saying Greece isn't a total longshot, they absolutely are. But how can you look at that history and pretend heart does not matter in these competitions? Greece was absolutely no where near the talent level of any of those teams, or Spain (who they played to a 1-1 upset draw in the group stage granting them a point that helped them get through). They did what they did on fucking sheer force of will and heart. Yes, it's an intangible, but a god damn powerful one.

FuturusX

So answer me this. If this were ten years ago, would you not have said the same exact thing about Greece making it to the second round of Euro 2004 and heading into a match vs France?

Sure, it isn't the World Cup of course, so a lot of the titans of the game aren't involved. But they still got through France, the Czech Republic, and Portugal (twice). Would you have predicted that back then?

I am not saying Greece isn't a total longshot, they absolutely are. But how can you look at that history and pretend heart does not matter in these competitions? Greece was absolutely no where near the talent level of any of those teams, or Spain (who they played to a 1-1 upset draw in the group stage granting them a point that helped them get through). They did what they did on fucking sheer force of will and heart. Yes, it's an intangible, but a god damn powerful one.

Can Miracles happen sure. But mostly the don't. Too many good teams in this competition for Greece to win it. That's just the reality of the situation. Now if they change their approach and can pick up goal scoring from somewhere - perhaps they can spring a few shocks. But that's a big if.

The list of World Cup winners is exclusive. Coming from only 2 regions. If I were to gamble you'd go with one of the past winners ( Brazil / Germany / France / Argentina ).

For a new country - Holland or Colombia.

Miracle town for anybody else. Sorry.

flake

What's the criteria for referee selection?

Was suprised to see a south american ref chosen for Uruguay vs Italy

Edit: just realised he was Mexican - concacaf

oti

Banned
Αχ να 'ξερες τι δύναμη,
μου δίνει το αλάτι σου.

meanspartan

Can Miracles happen sure. But mostly the don't. Too many good teams in this competition for Greece to win it. That's just the reality of the situation. Now if they change their approach and can pick up goal scoring from somewhere - perhaps they can spring a few shocks. But that's a big if.

The list of World Cup winners is exclusive. Coming from only 2 regions. If I were to gamble you'd go with one of the past winners ( Brazil / Germany / France / Argentina ).

For a new country - Holland or Colombia.

Miracle town for anybody else. Sorry.

That is what everyone is practically demanding they do. The guy who is salty about Ivory Coast losing said their style should be killed with fire or something.

If they do what you and so many others say and change up their game, they go from slim chance to ZERO chance. Greece is not going to win any shootouts vs the Netherlands or Germany or Brazil, or even maybe Costa Rica. They just don't have the talent for that, it is what it is.

Their only shot, the way they won in 2004, the way they have consistently qualified in Euro Cups and World Cups since then (which for other countries is nothing but for Greece is still a big deal), the way they made it to the 2nd round now, is to play lock-down defense and score on the counterattack. Period. Otto Rehhagel's system has led Greece to its most successful decade of Football ever, and it should not be abandoned.

Anyone demanding they change their style is really saying "I don't approve of Greece's defensive style, it isn't the 'right' way to play and creates the chance of upsets against my favored team(s). They should play more offensively, not be able to keep up, and lose like they are supposed to."

Mohonky

That is what everyone is practically demanding they do. The guy who is salty about Ivory Coast losing said their style should be killed with fire or something.

If they do what you and so many others say and change up their game, they go from slim chance to ZERO chance. Greece is not going to win any shootouts vs the Netherlands or Germany or Brazil, or even maybe Costa Rica. They just don't have the talent for that, it is what it is.

Their only shot, the way they won in 2004, the way they have consistently qualified in Euro Cups and World Cups since then (which for other countries is nothing but for Greece is still a big deal), the way they made it to the 2nd round now, is to play lock-down defense and score on the counterattack. Period. Otto Rehhagel's system has led Greece to its most successful decade of Football ever, and it should not be abandoned.

Anyone demanding they change their style is really saying "I don't approve of Greece's defensive style, it isn't the 'right' way to play and creates the chance of upsets against my favored team(s). They should play more offensively, not be able to keep up, and lose like they are supposed to."

Eh its not that, its that its boring to watch. If thats their play style and thats their only way of progressing, so be it, but it doesnt mean I have to enjoy it or I wont bitch about how boring it is. Same with Italy.

So England's group ended up being the worst imo

England, Italy and Uruguay are shite, and Uruguay will be even worse now Suarez is banned (to all intents and purposes)

Who'd have thought it'd end up being a group of death because Costa Rica would beast it, and the other 3 would be dreadful?

FuturusX

They can play anyway they want. But there's a big difference between winning the World Cup and qualifying. If they are going to beat teams they'll have to play better football. But I suspect that the plan is to go keep this thing going. Which means 'Defend - Defend - Defend'.

Good luck to them. But Greece won't win anything but admiration for their 'plucky' resistance in the face of insurmountable odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom