• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT5| Que Jara, Jara. Whatever Will Be, Will Be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meanspartan

I doubt she lives in Iran though. That shit doesn't fly over there.

Stupid Greece trolling the tournament again.. pff, was gutted they got that last second penalty. NOT looking forward to seeing teams trying to break down the Greek wall for 90 minutes and then losing on penalties or against that one lucky Greek goal on a corner. Only a Greek could support for Greece, rest of world just wants them gone.

Greece hasn't ever won on penalties, though they did get a win over the Czech Republic in 2004 at the end of double overtime.

As for the rest of your comments

3d67d9742dc05c2763e7ce10fbd9cee1520bcc12cfdbc7c3127799a28568bb9f.jpg

Good luck breaking through the, as you described it, "Greek Wall".

300wall.jpg

Walshy

I think we'll end up with this in the last sixteen:

Brazil vs. Chile
Colombia vs. Uruguay
France vs. Nigeria
Germany vs. Russia
Netherlands vs. Mexico
Costa Rica vs. Greece
Argentina vs. Switzerland
Belgium vs. USA

Highlight would be Germany vs Russia and Colombia vs Uruguay for me.

Meanspartan yeeeeesh, don't get angry and defensive with the hate, breathe it in and enjoy it, people being upset about the playstyle of a team is always hilarious... I could understand if the ref handed a team the win or something (like South Korea against Italy and such) but this was just a well executed plan.

tass0

Banned
I don't think some people here get why Greeks are so euphoric about this. We know Greece is nowhere near as good as the favourites such as Germany. We know the chances of winning this tournament may be non-existent. But it's not about that. It's about feeling good about yourself, which is something Greeks didn't have the reason to do for a long time. It's about the small country of Greece "beating" juggernauts like Italy, England and Spain.

I'm shocked that we managed to qualify, if we beat Costa Rica and progress further, it's gonna be nuts.

Keep in mind that Greece also qualified in 2004 2nd in their group with 4 pts and a 1-1-1 score. :)

meanspartan

Meanspartan yeeeeesh, don't get angry and defensive with the hate, breathe it in and enjoy it, people being upset about the playstyle of a team is always hilarious... I could understand if the ref handed a team the win or something (like South Korea against Italy and such) but this was just a well executed plan.

You're right. I've just been waiting a decade now for Greece to finally get at least the small degree of respect they've earned, and they still haven't gotten it.

People REALLY don't seem to like when otherwise hopeless teams find a way to win, even if it only works infrequently.

This is where I think you are being unduly sour. Greece won fair and square. That they did it on only two goals is somewhat hilarious, but I'll take it. And to be honest, if we look at shots on goal, Greece clearly outplayed Ivory Coast today. Sorry, but it's true.

Perhaps I'm being unduly sour, but saying Greece outplayed Ivory Coast is subjective. Ivory Coast had more possession and constructed way more attacks with lots of tight forward passes and combinations. It's just Greece packed their defensive end so tightly that IC struggled to get clean shots on goal. Whereas Greece just countered occasionally when IC's defense was opened up, which made it easier for them to get some shots on goal. But IC controlled about 80% of the game and constructed way more attacking waves.

I will say that it could be argued Greece executed their game plan perfectly. So while they didn't outplay Ivory Coast, Greece did exactly what they needed to do. Park the bus for 10-15 minutes at a time, do the occasional counter-attack to give their defense a temporary relief, and then hope the ball bounces favorable on offense at some point. From that standpoint, Greece executed their plan better than Ivory Coast, but I'd argue IC was still the better team even if they weren't at their best yesterday. Their time management is what really failed them.

Btw, I live in the San Diego area so I'm familiar with the cursed sports trio. Though thankfully I'm more into the NBA and soccer, so I'm spared the torture of the Chargers and Padres.

meanspartan

I'm shocked that we managed to qualify, if we beat Costa Rica and progress further, it's gonna be nuts.

Keep in mind that Greece also qualified in 2004 2nd in their group with 4 pts and a 1-1-1 score. :)

Haha yep I pointed this out earlier! And the win v Portugal in the group stage was also 2-1!

I know its meaningless, but still neat.

meanspartan

Perhaps I'm being unduly sour, but saying Greece outplayed Ivory Coast is subjective. Ivory Coast had more possession and constructed way more attacks with lots of tight forward passes and combinations. It's just Greece packed their defensive end so tightly that IC struggled to get clean shots on goal. Whereas Greece just countered occasionally when IC's defense was opened up, which made it easier for them to get some shots on goal. But IC controlled about 80% of the game and constructed way more attacking waves.

I will say that it could be argued Greece executed their game plan perfectly. So while they didn't outplay Ivory Coast, Greece did exactly what they needed to do. Park the bus for 10-15 minutes at a time, do the occasional counter-attack to give their defense a temporary relief, and then hope the ball bounces favorable on offense at some point. From that standpoint, Greece executed their plan better than Ivory Coast, but I'd argue IC was still the better team even if they weren't at their best yesterday. Their time management is what really failed them.

Btw, I live in the San Diego area so I'm familiar with the cursed sports trio. Though thankfully I'm more into the NBA and soccer, so I'm spared the torture of the Chargers and Padres.

That's our whole game plan. So ya, like you said, we executed perfectly ;-). It's far from a guaranteed system, but it gives us a chance. Do you really think we'd stand a chance against Ivory Coast (much less Netherlands, Brazil, etc) if we tried to keep up with them playing "proper" soccer? Lol no. A win is a win is a win, and until FIFA says its somehow against the rules, it's our only viable game plan. Nobody really thinks Greece was conventionally "better" in 2004 than Portugal or France or Czech Republic, they just utilized a gameplan that took advantage of their limited strengths.

I also live in San Diego. If I know you, please don't kill me next time you see me :)

keuja

Greece plays some ugly football but you can't blame them playing to their strength and being efficient.
Won't be sad if they get eliminated by Costa Rica though.

oti

Banned
There's absolutely nothing wrong with disliking a team's game plan. But ultimately:

Was zählt ist auf'm Platz.

meanspartan

Greece plays some ugly football but you can't blame them playing to their strength and being efficient.
Won't be sad if they get eliminated by Costa Rica though.

I'm rooting for them, but if I'm being honest I won't be either. I came in to this tournament thinking I'd only watch my two teams play (the US and Greece), but Costa Rica has also captured my attention. What a story there. If Greece is gonna go down, I'd almost rather have it be to a fellow underdog. Hopefully that isn't how it goes though :)

Can't wait for this weekend!

I also live in San Diego. If I know you, please don't kill me next time you see me :)

Haha, after Thursday I'll probably feel less murderous. I'm pulling for the US to advance but even if they fail, it most likely means Ghana is advancing so that will soften the blow and I'll still have something to look forward to in the round of 16. :)

Do people of Bosnia and Herzegovina care when we refer to their country as Bosnia? Just want to make sure we are not offending.

Who are you offending? I'm pretty sure Hercegovinians (how the hell do you spell it?) are rooting for Croatia anyways

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I think we'll end up with this in the last sixteen:

Highlight would be Germany vs Russia and Colombia vs Uruguay for me.

Belgium vs USA would be awesome for the next round. I hope we can win our group (likely) and get this outcome.

spekkeh

Banned
Who are you offending? I'm pretty sure Hercegovinians (how the hell do you spell it?) are rooting for Croatia anyways

Bosnia is a weird country. I wonder if there are Bosnians who would consider themselves Bosnian before Croatian/Serbian/Albanian. It's very Belgian.

spekkeh

Banned
:lol. Say that to any true Bosnian. They will probably try to murder you.

What's a true Bosnian? I have a Bosnian friend, born and raised in Sarajevo, but it Hrvatska before and after. Oh well, could be an incident. Sorry I called them Belgian.

confuziz

Banned
What's a true Bosnian? I have a Bosnian friend, born and raised in Sarajevo, but it Hrvatska before and after. Oh well, could be an incident. Sorry I called them Belgian.

Could be a new curse word for us. Oh you're so belgian

Dirty belgian, go away.

HELP, I'm getting robbed by belgians

You're such a belgian for cheating on me!!

Wat?

You do know we're going to win the Euro right? Would still be in it now in this WC if it wasnt for the refs, but no1 cares about us cause we're a small country and its out 1st WC. Watch a bad call go against someone like Brazil or France, FIFA would have a field day

oti

Banned
Anyone know a good shop for World Cup jerseys? I want to buy the Greek home jersey and ship it to Germany.

CTLance

Can we focus more on hot girls (or hunky guys) instead of kids?

Looking forward to the games today. I will finally be able to watch one or two again.

Also, all those Juarez 'shops and snarky tweets amuse me greatly.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man Italy out is so sad :( but we played really bad so we deserve it.

I always thought that Balotelli was criminally overrated, he was stupid and played bad, but i don't like how now everyone are giving all the faults to him, he wasn't alone on the field, and if he was playing bad(as he did) Prandelli could have replaced him earlier.
All the players have the fault, if they played all the matches as they played yesterday when they were in 10 the result would have been really different.

The referee was against us though, an inexistent red card that decided the match and a missed red card for the bite(when will Suarez be banned forever?)

[...]

I always thought that Balotelli was criminally overrated, he was stupid and played bad, but i don't like how now everyone are giving all the faults to him, he wasn't alone on the field, and if he was playing bad(as he did) Prandelli could have replaced him earlier.
All the players have the fault, if they played all the matches as they played yesterday when they were in 10 the result would have been really different.

[...]

I agree, Balotelli was subbed because he was close to being sent off. Immobile was worse, he literally didn't contrubute anything worthwile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom