• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT5| Que Jara, Jara. Whatever Will Be, Will Be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer24

Banned
I agree, Balotelli was subbed because he was close to being sent off. Immobile was worse, he literally didn't contrubute anything worthwile.

I´d love to see the statistics on the Italian team for ball contacts per player, and individual distance run.
Just by feeling I´d say Balotelli would come last (in relation for how long he played).

mellz

Am I the only thinking this shitstorm against Suarez is a bit too much? Yes he's a disgusting player, but I see people claiming he should receive a lifetime ban, a season ban etc. I think 10 games is too much. 2-5 Uruguay games should be enough.

I mean look at the tackle Caceres did, he got a yellow and no one really talked about it anymore. Which of these would you rather be the victim of?

Chiellini-bite.jpg

ImaginativeMeekChital.gif

fasTRapid

Banned
Bq-JoWSCUAIfrFn.jpg

I don't think they're legit.
I haven't seen one Greece game because they're not worth my time, but those look extremely similar to the Italian jersey except for the patch.

I mean look at the tackle Caceres did, he got a yellow and no one really talked about it anymore. Which of these would you rather be the victim of?
That should have been a red as well. Straight leg with no chance for the ball, just trying to hurt the opponent.

I think you should consider what's Suarez done in total before arguing against a lifetime ban. This is the third time he has bitten another player and the last WC he played GK. He's a disgusting piece of shit, that deserves nothing but a lifetime ban.

Am I the only thinking this shitstorm against Suarez is a bit too much? Yes he's a disgusting player, but I see people claiming he should receive a lifetime ban, a season ban etc. I think 10 games is too much. 2-5 Uruguay games should be enough.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9560668.ece/alternates/w460/Chiellini-bite.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://giant.gfycat.com/ImaginativeMeekChital.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Suarez does have a history of doing very stupid things, so there is no hope that he will learn it. Except a life-time ban, I don't think a ban could be too long for him.

So you honestly think that a 2-5 game ban is acceptable when on the previous 2 occasions for the exact same incidents he got 7 and 10 games respectively? That's some crazy train of thought and one I completely disagree with.

The guy has some serious mental issues and needs help and this is FIFA's chance to impose a very lengthy ban, 12mths across all competitions is acceptable IMO and also enforce that he gets some type of help with his problems.

That Caceres tackle is shocking and should have been red for a 2 footed challenge but these are challenges that happen in games a lot, biting an opponent deliberately isn't and to compare the two is ridiculous. Suarez is a repeat offender and biting is hardly your everyday foul committed by players.

Suarez is a dog and needs to be dealt with properly this time.

Haunted

Chiellini-bite.jpg

It's not the severity of the attack, it's the principle. A tackle that goes wild is different from fucking biting another human being, even if the former does more damage.

Suarez' previous bans were 7 games (first biting offence) and 10 games (second biting offence), so it stands to reason that his punishment will be escalated accordingly for this one.

A two-game ban would make a mockery out of the FIFA, which tries to present itself as an organisation that cherishes fair play above all else on the pitch.

It's not the severity of the attack, it's the principle. A tackle that goes wild is different from fucking biting another human being, even if the former does more damage.

Suarez' previous bans were 7 games (first biting offence) and 10 games (second biting offence), so it stands to reason that his punishment will be escalated accordingly for this one.

A two-game ban would make a mockery out of the FIFA, which prides itself on being an organisation that cherishes fair play above all else on the pitch.
They only gave Maxi Pereira a one match ban for filipping the fuck out and kicking a Costa Rican player for no reason whatsoever, guy played against Italy. They're a joke

Chiellini-bite.jpg

But the second is part of the job. A risk you take when you decide to have a career in football. A bite is not 'a tackle gone wrong'.

Empty

i don't think you can directly compare it to a tackle, but stamping, headbutting, deliberate elbows etc are common and the principle there is the same. song got three matches for his elbow on mandzukic in this world cup. i think suarez's bites are so weird and unusual and bizarre that it just viscerally feels more deviant, especially now it's a pattern for him, whereas football fans are more de-sensitized to the others as part of the culture, both of football and just how people are violent when they lose control in general.

mellz

But the second is part of the job. A risk you take when you decide to have a career in football. A bite is not 'a tackle gone wrong'.

'Tackle gone wrong'? "Oops I flew in with my cleats and almost broke the guy's leg but I didn't mean it." gtfo

Bumhead

Banned

Punishments for dangerous tackles should be harder.

However, what Suarez did represents childish cowardice and a cynical, brutal attempt to cheat the game. It's a vile, repugnant thing to do anywhere in society and absolutely does not belong on the football field. There is no frame of comparison with any other footballing incident and no set standard of punishment for something that you don't normally see outside of 3-5 year old range class rooms and nursery/kindergartens.

It's also his third strike of doing it. And for the third time, he appears to show absolutely no understanding of the seriousness of the incident or any culpability for it. He will, going by his track record, keep on doing it.

Given the lack of precedent for this (other than Suarez himself) I don't believe any punishment would be too severe. Personally, I would give him a lifetime ban from International football and ban him from all forms of the game for one year.

flake

The Uruguayan media supporting Suarez and having a go at the English media is pretty ridiculous. No wonder their team is full spiteful players.

Hope they get smashed in the next round.

mellz

Punishments for dangerous tackles should be harder.

However, what Suarez did represents childish cowardice and a cynical, brutal attempt to cheat the game. It's a vile, repugnant thing to do anywhere in society and absolutely does not belong on the football field. There is no frame of comparison with any other footballing incident and no set standard of punishment for something that you don't normally see outside of 3-5 year old range class rooms and nursery/kindergartens.

It's also his third strike of doing it. And for the third time, he appears to show absolutely no understanding of the seriousness of the incident or any culpability for it. He will, going by his track record, keep on doing it.

Given the lack of precedent for this (other than Suarez himself) I don't believe any punishment would be too severe. Personally, I would give him a lifetime ban from International football and ban him from all forms of the game for one year.

What do you think about Song's elbow then?

mellz

Stupid and wreckless.

Why? What does it have to do with this?

Because it was also "...did represents childish cowardice and a cynical, brutal attempt to cheat the game. It's a vile, repugnant thing to do anywhere in society and absolutely does not belong on the football field."

Lol one season ban, smh.

bjaelke

You're right. I've just been waiting a decade now for Greece to finally get at least the small degree of respect they've earned, and they still haven't gotten it.

People REALLY don't seem to like when otherwise hopeless teams find a way to win, even if it only works infrequently.
He's only siding with you because Greece and Chelsea have a lot in common:
Defensive, unattractive football
Gets the result done
Blue and white kits
No strikers
Artificial and unsustainable economy

Bumhead

Banned
Because it was also "...did represents childish cowardice and a cynical, brutal attempt to cheat the game. It's a vile, repugnant thing to do anywhere in society and absolutely does not belong on the football field."

Lol one season ban, smh.

I don't know why you seem so focused on comparing this only to other incidents on the field.

It's an incredibly flakey and limited defence or excusing of a player on the basis of "Well player X did Y and got banned for Z so.."

Raking your elbow down the back of another player is hot headed, stupid and potentially dangerous. It arguably cost his team a crucial game which eliminated them from the competetion. I haven't been keeping track of Song's punishment but hopefully he gets one that fits the nature of his stupidity.

However, I don't think that is compareable to biting another human. At all. And I don't know why you seem so focused on trying to draw such comparisons. If you don't understand why a professional adult intentionally biting a competitor for the third time in his career while showing no understanding or remorse for that is different to a horrible tackle or a silly elbow down a back, then I don't know what to say to you. I really don't.

A 5 game ban for that would be woefully short and woefully ineffective of disciplining a man with an ongoing track record. He would do it again.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

A two-game ban would make a mockery out of the FIFA, which tries to present itself as an organisation that cherishes fair play above all else on the pitch.

TBF there's been plenty of purposeful tackles that are just as bad. Just want the Netherlands Spain WC final

trixx

So heres what i don't understand about some of these football games. Why is it that there are some teams would score a goal and then it seems like they stop playing with the urgency prior to scoring the goal. It's like all of a sudden they become defensive while letting the other team get as much chances as possible. Are they trying to somehow hope the time just wastes? Who the hell thought this was a good idea.

Jarnet87

So heres what i don't understand about some of these football games. Why is it that there are some teams would score a goal and then it seems like they stop playing with the urgency prior to scoring the goal. It's like all of a sudden they become defensive while letting the other team get as much chances as possible. Are they trying to somehow hope the time just wastes? Who the hell thought this was a good idea.

happens a lot. a team will score and the players will lose a bit of urgency, or a manager may tell a team to back off pressing so high and sit deeper.

He bit another human, in front of billions of people on international TV.

I'm pretty sure we're tought in fucking kindergarten that biting is never ok.

Animals bite, not people.

Haunted

TBF there's been plenty of purposeful tackles that are just as bad. Just want the Netherlands Spain WC final
In case that wasn't clear, Caceres should've seen a red and Song's elbow should lead to a several-game ban as well.

I really think they need to make an example of a repeat offender like Suarez. If they're lenient with him now, what kind of message does this send?

Empty

the heat in these games is quite intense, such that it's difficult to play at full urgency constantly. once you have the crucial goal they often conserve energy that they've expended trying to get it, as otherwise you can be completely exhausted before the match is over which is very dangerous for the team as the opponent can pick you off.

also the opponent's mentality changes as the match situation changes, you can try and play with urgency but sometimes the opponent dictates the game for you.

OT5 already? Dang.
Everything I want from today is for Nigeria to somehow beat Argentina. Reason?

No, even as a Brazilian I don't hate Argentina or their team. :)

But if they lose, they will probably play France in Round of 16, in Brasilia, and I have tickets! If they win we will see France x NIG/IRA.

pulga

Banned

]

Not enough facepalms in the world. 2-5 games LOL, did you even bother to google how many games he got banned for the previous two times he did it?

Haunted

The Uruguayan media supporting Suarez and having a go at the English media is pretty ridiculous. No wonder their team is full spiteful players.

Hope they get smashed in the next round.
The world sees it. Uruguayan fans and media don't. What a surprise.

They're doubling down on him because he's their best player. I agree with you, it's that kind of environment that gives rise to players like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom