• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Danthrax said:
None. We just lost the last good one. =(

edge has excellent print quality and design and good writing, as well as a lot of content. retro gamer has interesting articles and lots of content. some swear by gamestm. these are all british mags btw, but you can get them in the us for about 4-5 bucks an issue with a sub.

JonathanEx said:
Goodbye interesting editorial tone

hello LADS WEBSITE ARRRGH WE MANLY HERE ARE SOME TITS
Not really 1up, but EGM was definitely headed in that direction over the past couple years. One of the reasons I stopped getting the magazine was because of how fluffy-macho it was getting, like a fumble-thumbed version of Maxim.

cRIPticon

chase said:
I hope these people find new jobs quickly. In some other industry.

What?!? You serious? Damn, the EGM/1UP team are among the best this industry has ever had. Hopefully, they will continue to stay in this industry.

benita

Banned
Just to clarify, the "many of our employees" line does not explicitly indicate redundancies. The email was addressed to all Ziff Davis staff, not just 1up staff. Obviously, only some ZD staff will move over.

Obviously it would appear that redundancies are inevitable but the CEO's letter doesn't indicate as much.

Mechar

Neo Member
According to Game | Life, the February issue won´t event hit newsstands or subscribers.

Ziff Davis will sell its videogame media division to Hearst Corporation, which will shutter longtime print publication Electronic Gaming Monthly, numerous sources reported Tuesday.

A story about the sale and closing of EGM went up on PaidContent today, but was taken down. But What They Play's John Davison -- a former EIC of the magazine -- salvaged the text and reprinted it.

GameSetWatch's Kevin Gifford -- former 1up editor -- added the detail that the current issue of EGM on stands (pictured) will be the very last, and that the February issue, which is completed, will be distributed digitally.

Davison finished his blog post by saying that official information should be coming tomorrow. Considering the well-placed nature of the various sources, things are not looking too good for EGM. This is a 20-year-old magazine that occupied a very special place in many gamers' hearts -- I can still remember buying my first issue, with spy photos of a prototype version of Super Mario World on the cover, when I was 10 -- and it's sad to think it might not even get a last hurrah of a final issue on shelves.

Tendo

What the hell, I haven't heard of UGO since like...1999 or 2000 when they had gary coleman doing ads for them. I want to think they touted having both boobs and games. I hope they have changed. :(

:(

I've been reading EGM since 1999 and I can't believe it's going. It's lost some of it's charm during the years...but it doesn't deserve to be cut. Good luck to everyone going through the transition.

mr stroke

DevelopmentArrested said:
no they were making tons thats why theyre closing

:p

I guess my question should of been "how long has EGM been losing money"?? If the mag had been a money for some time now then how has PC Gamer or GamePro hung around so long(with I assume a smaller subscriber base) or was it Ziff and not the mag its self that made it fail?

zeloe326

Wait, hold up. When a company is bought out by a another company does that automatically means everyone is axed? I mean I would assume those in high management positions might be replaced, but does that mean guys like Shane, Garnet etc, who are just editors and such get the axe also. Just curious, because I worked for a company that was bought by another company, but my job wasn't threatened at all. I suppose it was because I was at the bottom end of the ladder, who knows.

Anyhow, I hope this doesn't equates to eliminating the 1up podcasts, and show. It would really be a sad day, for me atleast. Those guys really give me that video game fix I need. I hope, this company realize that the 1up crew (although I disagree with them a lot) is a great bunch of guys, and that their contribution to the video game world is highly significant. Anyhow, I wish the best for them all if infact they get axed, but most of all, I wish they remain intact.

http://gamesblog.ugo.com/

UGO acquired 1UP today. That’s one hell of a way to kick off the New Year.

First of all, let me come out and say that there is no other gaming site like 1UP. Unlike some of the lumbering, impersonal behemoths out there, 1UP is all about its personalities, and its fans are awesome, passionate and willing to fight to the death over whether Final Fantasy X2 was an abomination or a triumph. It’s an honor to bring that passion into the UGO fold. We are like-minded in our love of video games and I plan on welcoming them to the family by kicking their collective asses in Street Fighter IV.

Speaking specifically of the team over there, Sam Kennedy and his crew at 1UP are the most hardcore of hardcore gamers. Cut them and they bleed pixels. There isn’t a better site out there to help UGO realize our vision of being the definitive voice in gaming.

Sam and I are already talking about all the cool things we can do together between epic Dhalsim v. Zangief matches. I can tell you that we’re going to own E3 this year. Our shared goal, our sole mission, is to make your head explode over and over again as we bring you the best video game coverage on the web. At the heart of all this madness is a desire to help 1UP do what they do best..."owning the conversation” when it comes to video games.

Sounds like Sam is staying.

braves01

Banned
It's a shame EGM finally has to go...I still remember my first issue (GOTY 1998). I have to admit though, I get my gaming news from the internet almost exclusively now, and it's been a couple years since my EGM subscription ran out and I haven't really missed it. Hopefully everything pans out all right for everyone involved though. If Hearst delivers on upping the scale of the operation (assuming that's not the usual corporate psycho-babble), I think 1up will continue to be one of my go-to sites gaming info/content.

AstroLad said:
edge has excellent print quality and design and good writing, as well as a lot of content. retro gamer has interesting articles and lots of content. some swear by gamestm. these are all british mags btw, but you can get them in the us for about 4-5 bucks an issue with a sub.

I'm probably going to subscribe to Edge now to fill in the gap EGM/GFW left.

Pachinko

Many questions about 1up's mid-term future have come up for me-

If UGO is based in new york will they eventually move servers and staff into their building ?

Just how many people working at 1up will retain their jobs? it'd be awesome if they all did but I know that won't happen, especially not in "today's economy".

So being super serial for a minute here, none of the former ziff employees that have found community manager jobs in the last year and a half got out because they saw this eventually coming ? Or is it still a case of not burning bridges?

Ah well, here's hoping UGO keeps everything good about 1up untouched, keeps as many people as possible in their jobs and that those who do get let go can find something else.

As for EGM , sad day indeed, that internal email mentions the january 2009 issue as the final one and well, that's the one with wolverine on the cover unfortunatly. It's too bad they couldn't get a true final ish out. Although, for the many 1up staffers reading this thread and GAF in general, you could do a pdf thing in your spare time , even though it wouldn't have the name EGM on the front cover for obvious liscensing reasons it'd have no print cost and it'd be 100% a labour of love.

Brizzo24

3175574796_5f7cecd1fb_o.png

:lol :lol :lol

FrankT

Pachinko said:
Many questions about 1up's mid-term future have come up for me-

If UGO is based in new york will they eventually move servers and staff into their building ?

Just how many people working at 1up will retain their jobs? it'd be awesome if they all did but I know that won't happen, especially not in "today's economy".

So being super serial for a minute here, none of the former ziff employees that have found community manager jobs in the last year and a half got out because they saw this eventually coming ? Or is it still a case of not burning bridges?

Ah well, here's hoping UGO keeps everything good about 1up untouched, keeps as many people as possible in their jobs and that those who do get let go can find something else.

As for EGM , sad day indeed, that internal email mentions the january 2009 issue as the final one and well, that's the one with wolverine on the cover unfortunatly. It's too bad they couldn't get a true final ish out. Although, for the many 1up staffers reading this thread and GAF in general, you could do a pdf thing in your spare time , even though it wouldn't have the name EGM on the front cover for obvious liscensing reasons it'd have no print cost and it'd be 100% a labour of love.

Indeed, a lot of questions to be answered. I mean are they all going to have to pick and head to NY? I mean that's just not likley to happen. Where is Milky going to go and the rest?

Crateman

UGO acquired 1UP today. That’s one hell of a way to kick off the New Year.

First of all, let me come out and say that there is no other gaming site like 1UP. Unlike some of the lumbering, impersonal behemoths out there, 1UP is all about its personalities, and its fans are awesome, passionate and willing to fight to the death over whether Final Fantasy X2 was an abomination or a triumph. It’s an honor to bring that passion into the UGO fold. We are like-minded in our love of video games and I plan on welcoming them to the family by kicking their collective asses in Street Fighter IV.

Speaking specifically of the team over there, Sam Kennedy and his crew at 1UP are the most hardcore of hardcore gamers. Cut them and they bleed pixels. There isn’t a better site out there to help UGO realize our vision of being the definitive voice in gaming.

Sam and I are already talking about all the cool things we can do together between epic Dhalsim v. Zangief matches. I can tell you that we’re going to own E3 this year. Our shared goal, our sole mission, is to make your head explode over and over again as we bring you the best video game coverage on the web. At the heart of all this madness is a desire to help 1UP do what they do best..."owning the conversation” when it comes to video games.

Am I the only one who thinks this has the stench of "Look! We care a lot about games!! We're HARDCORE! Gaming FTW!"?

I just don't like it.

aegies said:
There's much worse news coming down than anyone expects. Sigh.
Arthur Gies?
You've done articles for 1up, haven't you?
Which means you obviously know alot more than we do.
What the hell could be worse? Are you talking staff cuts (rhetorical, I know you can't answer that)?

Nakazato

Thanks for teaching me to read EGM been good times sad to see you go like this.
bought my 1st issue at 6 and now im 21 its was the reason for me learning to read.

Zeouterlimits said:
Arthur Gies?
You've done articles for 1up, haven't you?
Which means you obviously know alot more than we do.
What the hell could be worse? Are you talking staff cuts (rhetorical, I know you can't answer that)?

Uh oh.

:lol @ them leaking the CEO e-mail almost immediately. Good ol' professional 1UP!

Condolences to people losing their jobs, but really this isn't a surprise at all in any way. The writing has been on the wall for like 2-3 years now and the UGO 'rumours' the other month were pretty damn solid so its not like this has come out of left field.

Surely Ziff however has nothing left now and is just going to bow out.

I just fucking resubscribed too. i wrote ziff a hand written letter along with 4 emails asking what would happen to my subscription if EGM where to close over 3 months and was consistently ignored but decided to bit the bullet anyway and give them my money. Its bad enough my favorite mag closed, but now i feel cheated.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
The Street Fighter IV issue of EGM came to my doorstep ON MY BIRTHDAY in 2007. And now its gone... :(

well not that issue, its on my shelf at home.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom