• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Pre-Season |OT| Nobody won more with less than Lebron. Maybe Phil Jackson

Forever

Banned
dujour-magazine-interviews-paul-pierce-on-his-move-to-brooklyn-1.jpg

#swag

Nash might not start the season?

All according to keikaku.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov |OT| One team's trash is another team's Garbnani

I heard he won't play both games of the b2b. They should lose both games, regardless.

Opening schedule so difficult so as long as Kobe stays sidelined, it should be a rough month (or a great one for draft position prospects).

thekad

Banned
"Bill Russell realized the best thing to do was defend, rebound, get it out quick and get easy buckets," Howard said. "They were blowing teams out. Bill Russell, especially, took pride in his defense. I do the same thing.

"We're both undersized to play the center position, but we were great defenders, got a lot of rebounds and blocked a lot of shots. I look at Wilt. He realized he didn't have to score 50 points a game to win. He played defense. He dominated the paint. He kicked it out and those guys hit shots. That was the best thing for his team.

"With us, you have to pick your poison. We have, with me and James in the pick-and-roll, him driving down the lane, putting all kinds of pressure on the bigs to help, but also on the perimeter to step in and hit me on the roll, which will let guys like Chandler (Parsons), (Francisco) Garcia, all of these guys that can spread the floor, hit those shots."

So looks like Dwight was simply sabotaging the Lakers from the inside and is now ready to step back into that Bill Russell mode. Perfect.

Do Lakers fans not realize that tanking is useless so long as Kobe is on the team?

Mitch isn't going to extend Kobe and have him play with rooks. He's going to use the pick as a bargaining chips in a trade that would probably delay the tank for another two years or so.

Is Emwitus still around? It's going to be a rough year for him. He might want to think about picking up a third team, I suggest the Bulls or the Clippers.

Do Lakers fans not realize that tanking is useless so long as Kobe is on the team?

Mitch isn't going to extend Kobe and have him play with rooks. He's going to use the pick as a bargaining chips in a trade that would probably delay the tank for another two years or so.

if the pick isn't top 3 then you use it to trade for Kevin Love. Win-win.

if the pick isn't top 3 then you use it to trade for Kevin Love. Win-win.

I think the Wolves will go back into tank mode kicking and screaming. They'll let the whole thing collapse on them before they let Love go. They've just had such awful luck in the draft that I can't see them ever wanting to go through that process again unless they have to.

In hindsight the move to not give Love the supermax was just...what. Especially with Rubio seemingly being unable to shoot even 40 percent from the field.

Emwitus

So looks like Dwight was simply sabotaging the Lakers from the inside and is now ready to step back into that Bill Russell mode. Perfect.

LOL. Your in for a big surprise if you think dwight "only" wants to play defense.

Is Emwitus still around? It's going to be a rough year for him. He might want to think about picking up a third team, I suggest the Bulls or the Clippers.

:(

#netsforever

Listen up Bulls fans: What happens tomorrow doesn't mean shit. It only matters what happens in May/June. I'm excited to see if this will be the beginning of the end of this nucleus with Rose and probably Noah being the exception, or the start of something bigger.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Listen up Bulls fans: What happens tomorrow doesn't mean shit. It only matters what happens in May/June. I'm excited to see if this will be the beginning of the end of this nucleus with Rose and probably Noah being the exception, or the start of something bigger.

You should tell that to RealGM. I feel like BullsGAF is pretty level headed.

KingGondo

Banned
Yep, he's definitely humble and ready to recede back to a secondary role.

You can tell because he's comparing himself to Russell and Wilt.

We've been saying that shit all along. Dwight is just in denial about who he really is as a basketball player. He's not Hakeem, McHale, Duncan, Shaq. I find it funny that he's gonna do what Dantoni wanted him to do with The Lakers. He must of really hated Kobe. Granted there's a lot more talent in Houston.

You should tell that to RealGM. I feel like BullsGAF is pretty level headed.

I hear that. I used to browse the Bobcats Realgm board until recently. I haven't wasted my time with it lately because every other post consists of people either complaining about MKG's jumpshot or suggesting we trade him while we still can.

Does Kyrie have the best handles of all time?

I've focused on handles since I could dribble and followed all the greats, but Kyrie has showed me some shit I never even thought about doing, and it's all appicable to actual structured hoops and not just street ball.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Yep, this season is going to be great. So many storylines to follow.

Speaking of which, is there away to upgrade League Broadband to full subscription? Too many good teams to follow.

Jeff-DSA

I've focused on handles since I could dribble and followed all the greats, but Kyrie has showed me some shit I never even thought about doing, and it's all appicable to actual structured hoops and not just street ball.

Kind of hard to say since the game is played so differently now. Some other guys might have had the same or higher level of talent, but they just didn't apply it in the same way due to the different nature of the game.

Act like you never saw CP3 play. Jamal Crawford also has a sick handle.

Kobe will have no effect on this Lakers' season and future Lakers season can't have them counting on tanking since they traded away their future picks to Phoenix and Orlando.

please tell me they are top 3 protected

Top 5, but it's still hard to count on getting that level of a pick before a season even starts.

Since they don't fully own their future picks, I think they'll probably try to re-sign Kobe and trade this year's pick plus Nash for an established veteran to attract Melo instead of going for a full rebuild that could very painful.

Are people forgetting that even in 05 and 06 a PRIME Kobe couldn't prevent the Lakers from being awful? Even if Kobe comes back, he will be hobbled and past his prime. The rest of the roster stinks. Kobe can play 82 games and there is still a good chance this team ends up in the lottery. They might not get a top 3 pick but there is still a good chance they miss the playoffs. The team is awful and the coach is awful.

Are people forgetting that even in 05 and 06 a PRIME Kobe couldn't prevent the Lakers from being awful? Even if Kobe comes back, he will be hobbled and past his prime. The rest of the roster stinks. Kobe can play 82 games and there is still a good chance this team ends up in the lottery. They might not get a top 3 pick but there is still a good chance they miss the playoffs. The team is awful and the coach is awful.

they made the playoffs in 06 and in '05 he missed like 30 games (as did Lamar, often at the same time).

That said, the Lakers won't make the playoffs this year.

Forever

Banned

The other tanking teams have stepped up their game this year though.

they made the playoffs in 06 and in '05 he missed like 30 games (as did Lamar, often at the same time).

That said, the Lakers won't make the playoffs this year.

Yeah but they were still bad, that was PRIME Kobe. This is not Prime Kobe. Hell last year they struggled for the 8th seed, and that was with a relatively healthy Kobe and Dwight all year.

Spurs Rockets Thunder Warriors Grizz Clippers Mavs are all clearly better. That leaves one spot left.

The other tanking teams have stepped up their game this year though.

Yeah but the Lakers don't have to compete with them to not make the Playoffs. The Sixers being terri-bad doesn't affect the Lakers ability to make the playoffs. Not saying they are going to have the worst record, but there is a better chance than not that they will miss the playoffs. That puts them in the lottery. If that's the case, I think the Mitch shops around the pick if it is outside the top 3 or 4.

KingGondo

Banned
Yall think they're gonna be some crazy ass trades this year? I bet a high draft pick this year could net you some pretty good players.
League is top and bottom heavy this year, with a bunch of teams in the middle going nowhere. About 10 contending teams at the top and 4-6 tanking at the moment, with possibly more to join.

I could definitely see some big moves happening. The middle-of-the-road teams will be looking to trade for or trade away their valuable pieces depending on how their seasons go.

Yeah but the Lakers don't have to compete with them to not make the Playoffs. The Sixers being terri-bad doesn't affect the Lakers ability to make the playoffs. Not saying they are going to have the worst record, but there is a better chance than not that they will miss the playoffs. That puts them in the lottery. If that's the case, I think the Mitch shops around the pick if it is outside the top 3 or 4.

Jordan Hill and a pick for Ariza.

The Lakers were mediocre last year even with Dwight and Kobe and they replaced those two with Chris Kaman and Nick Young/crippled Kobe. They're a 22-28 win team, they can't defend anyone and their offense is mostly low efficiency guys that don't fit Pringles' offense outside of Nash's 18 MPG. I don't think people need to worry about this team making the playoffs or not getting a top 7 pick.

League is top and bottom heavy this year, with a bunch of teams in the middle going nowhere. About 10 contending teams at the top and 4-6 tanking at the moment, with possibly more to join.

I could definitely see some big moves happening. The middle-of-the-road teams will be looking to trade for or trade away their valuable pieces depending on how their seasons go.

Right on, it's going to be a crazy season. The Suns, Horncats, Jazz, Magic, and 76ers have almost half of the league's first round picks between them. Major trades are guaranteed to happen.

Yeah but they were still bad, that was PRIME Kobe. This is not Prime Kobe. Hell last year they struggled for the 8th seed, and that was with a relatively healthy Kobe and Dwight all year.

Spurs Rockets Thunder Warriors Grizz Clippers Mavs are all clearly better. That leaves one spot left.

I might disagree on the Mavs. Not sure what to think of them just yet and think they could miss the playoffs. But I think the Pelicans can be better and Minnesota should be better. And Portland as well.

Only teams definitely worse than Lakers are Suns, Kings, and Jazz. But Kings might be close enough.

edit: out West.

What I'm hoping is for

A. no Kobe + horrible opening schedule = bad record
B. Nash traded for picks/expiring
C. Kobe comes back, realizes season is lost, simply tries to score a lot for record breaking.

alba

Little is the new Big

No worries dude, I get it. We're still beating them though (it's just a nice bonus) :D

Are the Pelicans the most soulless team in the league?

EG has never given a fuck

Tyreke doesn't even feel anymore after Sac-Town

Jrues never lived with expectations

Davis doesn't even know what pressure is

I don't know if the team is just going to shit on people because they don't care enough to know they are supposed to be mediocre or if their complete lack of fear and expectations will land them in the playoffs.

I might disagree on the Mavs. Not sure what to think of them just yet and think they could miss the playoffs. But I think the Pelicans can be better and Minnesota should be better. And Portland as well.

Only teams definitely worse than Lakers are Suns, Kings, and Jazz. But Kings might be close enough.

edit: out West.

What I'm hoping is for

A. no Kobe + horrible opening schedule = bad record
B. Nash traded for picks/expiring
C. Kobe comes back, realizes season is lost, simply tries to score a lot for record breaking.

Mavs roster wise are not much to look at, but even if on paper the roster is near or equal to the Lakers (which I think it's not, Dallas is better) they have a top 5 coach. That will mean the difference.

I don't expect much from the Pelicans. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they are worse than we all thought. I like Davis but not sure he's ready to take that next step, and I like Jrue but he's not enough. Reke, Rivers and Gordon might be a disaster in the making

Mavs roster wise are not much to look at, but even if on paper the roster is near or equal to the Lakers (which I think it's not, Dallas is better) they have a top 5 coach. That will mean the difference.

I don't expect much from the Pelicans. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they are worse than we all thought. I like Davis but not sure he's ready to take that next step, and I like Jrue but he's not enough. Reke, Rivers and Gordon might be a disaster in the making

I disagreed with Dallas making the playoffs, but because they will try they'll have a better record than Lakers. Probably.

Pelicans have Davis who is going to be elite, hence my belief in them.

In other news:

Nevertheless, her brother didn’t drive the decision not to hire Jackson. Her father did.

I’ve talked to several of the people who did this deal who are firm in their assertion that Jerry Buss made this call.

Amazingly, D’Antoni was the Lakers’ No. 1 choice all along.

It was unanimous among Jim, Mitch and, most of all, Jerry Buss.

Dr. Buss liked D’Antoni for the same reason he hired Rudy Tomjanovich in 2004, and didn’t do back-flips while re-hiring Jackson in 2005: He wanted to go back to “Showtime.”

Jim doesn’t care about style. His first hire was Slow Down Mike Brown, the antithesis of Showtime. Firing Brown after one season plus five games meant paying off $12 million of the $16 mill Jim gave him.

So, if D’Antoni was high on their list, why turn to Jackson?

Laker officials decided it would be bad form, and bad PR, not to give Phil the first shot.
Oops!

The mere mention of Jackson’s name seemed to signal Phil was on his way back. Meeting with him two days after Brown’s firing seemed like a confirmation ... triggering a PR nightmare.

The Lakers left Jackson, saying they would, of course, consider other options until he said yes.

Who knew they meant it?

Not Jackson or D’Antoni. Neither had a clue.

That decision came the next night, Sunday, Nov. 11, as the hospitalized owner conferred by telephone with his son and his GM, attending a game against Sacramento in Staples Center.

At halftime, D’Antoni’s agent, Warren LeGarie, said glumly from his San Francisco home that it looked like Jackson’s job to accept or reject.

At game’s end, LeGarie got a call from Kupchak, offering D’Antoni the job.

LeGarie was so stunned, he later told me he replied, “C’mon, Mitch, don’t use us.”
Lakers fans went to bed thinking Phil was back and awoke to find themselves with D’Antoni, who might as well have alighted into a pot of boiling oil.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-533225-jackson-phil.html

Told y'all it was Jerry's call.

Top Bottom