• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Knicks fire Derek Fisher after 1½ seasons, Kurt Rambis to be interim coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ks-fire-coach-derek-fisher-23-31-start-season

The New York Knicks have fired coach Derek Fisher after a five-game losing streak left the team 1-9 in its last 10 games.

ESPN's Ramona Shelburne and Ian Begley first reported the firing.

The Knicks are 23-31 this season after going 17-65 in Fisher's first season. New York's current losing skid contributed to the timing of the move, but the team was already convinced Fisher was not transitioning from the role of player to coach effectively, sources told ESPN's Brian Windhorst.

Fisher was hired by team president Phil Jackson to rectify the struggling New York franchise. Fisher and Jackson have a history together dating back to when Jackson coached the Lakers, and Fisher was a point guard on the team that won five championships.

Fisher, who had no previous head coaching experience, took over for Mike Woodson, who went 109-79 in parts of three seasons in New York. Woodson, however, won only one playoff series. The Knicks currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.

Assistant Kurt Rambis will now serve as interim coach. Rambis played on four Lakers title teams and was a coach or executive for four others. He coached the Timberwolves to a 56-145 mark from 2009-11.

Two other former Jackson players, Brian Shaw and Luke Walton, are candidates to the full-time job, sources told ESPN.
Shaw coached parts of two seasons in Denver, while Walton led the defending champion Golden State Warriors to a record start this season, filling in for injured coach Steve Kerr. Sources tell Shelburne, though, that Walton is determined to take his time before accepting a head coaching position. Much like Kerr two summers ago, Walton wants to make sure he's setting himself up for success.

pONFWsS.gif

entremet

I honestly think the dude needed more time in the trenches.

He should've been an assistant.

I also don't buy the Luke Walton hype. Dude had ridiculous talent in place.

They can do whatever they want...nothing the rest of the league really does will even matter if GSW as we know it continues to exist.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I also don't buy the Luke Walton hype. Dude had ridiculous talent in place.

Yeah, his rotations were questionable at times and he doesn't get on the players when they're screwing up and relies on them to police themselves, he seems too laid back. Kerr doesn't hestitate to get mad when it's warranted. Would be amusing if Kerr ends up going 39-0 after Luke's 39-4 start.

U2NUMB

As a wolves fan I want Mitchell gone but I dont see it happening this year due to the heavy nature of how he got the job.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
They're overstating Rambis's "success" with the Wolves. He coached the team to a record of 32-132. That's a 0.195 winning percentage for those playing at home. What journeyman big will he trade for so he can bench Porzingis?

The Knicks are mediocre as fuck but they have no draft pick, so if they did this it must be that Phil realized Derek is completely over his head and is not the long term answer at coach. What they should really do is shop Melo around for whatever they can get.

Ovid

The Knicks are mediocre as fuck but they have no draft pick, so if they did this it must be that Phil realized Derek is completely over his head and is not the long term answer at coach. What they should really do is shop Melo around for whatever they can get.
I was over Melo years ago.

It's time for him to go.

Infinite

Yeah, too bad they won't

To fire the guy midseason tells me there must be more to this than just the fact that the guy was in over his head. I mean if you're willing to have Kurt Rambis coach your team something fucked up must have happened.

entremet

Why wasn't he just an assistant coach for a little while?
NBA trends have been to give younger coaches head jobs without assistant experience.

I'm not a fan of that personally. Steve Kerr has been a huge success but he has way more time around the game and had superstar talent in place.

Not everyone can be a Steve Kerr.

BadAss2961

LeBron might be desperate enough to move Love or Mosgov for him.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Derek Fisher is dating Matt Barnes' ex-wife

Matt Barnes went over to his ex's house in the offseason and punched Derek Fisher

I thought fisher had a wife and daughter already. Guess I'm not up on news about him anymore.

watershed

Banned
Wow, I didn't think Phil would give up on Dfish so quickly. I guess he really must have lost faith in him much earlier. Dfish wasn't Phil's first choice but damn. I don't think Luke Walton is going to want this job. He has real cache now with the Warrors now and turn that into a much better job this off-season or in the next few seasons. He's way to young to sink his head coaching career with the Knicks.

To fire the guy midseason tells me there must be more to this than just the fact that the guy was in over his head. I mean if you're willing to have Kurt Rambis coach your team something fucked up must have happened.

If Derek Fisher was so in over his head and incompetent that it was a detriment to the team, then it makes sense. Most mediocre to bad teams would wait until the offseason to do this, but the Knicks have no draft pick, so if they feel moving from Fisher to Rambis makes them just a tiny bit better, might as well go for it. If the Knicks had a pick they would probably have just kept Fisher, traded/shut down Melo and tanked instead.

LeBron might be desperate enough to move Love or Mosgov for him.

Not even the Knicks are stupid enough to take Mozgov for Melo.

If Derek Fisher was so in over his head and incompetent that it was a detriment to the team, then it makes sense. Most mediocre to bad teams would wait until the offseason to do this, but the Knicks have no draft pick, so if they feel moving from Fisher to Rambis makes them just a tiny bit better, might as well go for it. If the Knicks had a pick they would probably have just kept Fisher, traded/shut down Melo and tanked instead.

I refuse to believe there's a person that thinks Rambis is a better coach than anyone.

Fuck da Knicks? Fuck da Knicks.

As average as Melo has been this year, it's not really surprising this Knicks team isn't any good. They're starting Robin Lopez and Kevin Seraphim ffs.

Byron Scott is safe because the Lakers aren't trying to win games.

Sulik2

NBA coaches get way too much credit. Outside of plays coming out of timeouts their main job is managing personalities. If your team is losing chances are your fielding a bunch of scrubs, not that your coach is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom