• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Knicks fire Derek Fisher after 1½ seasons, Kurt Rambis to be interim coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Boke1879

NBA coaches get way too much credit. Outside of plays coming out of timeouts their main job is managing personalities. If your team is losing chances are your fielding a bunch of scrubs, not that your coach is terrible.

coaching has quite a bit to do with it. Managing lineups, running a certain system etc. I mean Steve Kerr really pushed GSW over the edge.

PopeReal

I think there was something else to this other than their record. With this roster I don't think he did too bad.

I think what they meant was that a good coach can't make a bad team good. But a bad coach can hold back a great team.

I disagree. Some of the teams Dallas has been fielding the last few years would have probably been in the lottery were it not for Carlisle, but he's one of the 2 best coaches in the NBA so in that sense the truly great ones are outliers.

Kickz

They're overstating Rambis's "success" with the Wolves. He coached the team to a record of 32-132. That's a 0.195 winning percentage for those playing at home. What journeyman big will he trade for so he can bench Porzingis?

Agreed, Rambis was the idiot that told Love not to shoot outside of freethrow line.

And yet Byron Scott still has a job.

Byron Scott is a quality tank commander. His job is to make sure the Lakers don't win while not totally fucking up the development of their young players. As soon as Kobe is gone and they sign a big name FA, Byron Scott will be gone.

Doing everything he can to impede the development of his young players, and squash whatever semblance of confidence and self-worth on the court that they might hold?

D'Angelo is gonna be just fine. If his entire career is derailed because of one season under Byron Scott then he would have been a bust either way.

BumRush

The Knicks are mediocre as fuck but they have no draft pick, so if they did this it must be that Phil realized Derek is completely over his head and is not the long term answer at coach. What they should really do is shop Melo around for whatever they can get.

Agreed. Great scorer that will only lose that as he gets older. Other aspects of his game - especially defense - are an oversight for him. Sad thing is, it's not that he can't play D, he just doesn't.

coaching has quite a bit to do with it. Managing lineups, running a certain system etc. I mean Steve Kerr really pushed GSW over the edge.

I think Kerr is a good coach but I wonder how much their success has to do with him and how much it has to do with the players just getting better. Along those lines, is Kerr a good coach pushing his team over the edge or was Jackson a bad coach keeping them back?

You keep saying that, and I was on board with you, but when you start to damage your rookies, I can't support the tank anymore. Its coming at the cost of innocents.

He's not damaging them. He's a terrible head coach, don't get me wrong, but the rookies are still showing a lot of promise in spite of him. People act like D'Angelo and Julius are gonna be traumatized for life after this season. Russell is having the best year of any rookie guard despite the way Byron has jerked him around at times. People act like good/great rookies have never had shitty head coaches before. I'm not saying it's the best environment for these guys but for rookies it rarely is. Most of these guys are drafted into tough situations.

harSon

Banned
D'Angelo is gonna be just fine. If his entire career is derailed because of one season under Byron Scott then he would have been a bust either way.

He'll be fine, but he could have been more developed under a dude who doesn't constantly bench his young players for stupid ass shit like "he's too confident." D'Angelo doesn't get it quite as bad as Randle. Scott straight up hates that dude's guts lmao.

I don't know how any point guard can develop within the Lakers sad excuse for an offense that straight up has zero movement off the ball.

I disagree. Some of the teams Dallas has been fielding the last few years would have probably been in the lottery were it not for Carlisle, but he's one of the 2 best coaches in the NBA so in that sense the truly great ones are outliers.

Well, there's coaches, and then there's Carlisle. He could probably win coach of the year every year TBH, if the award wasn't earmarked for "whoever happens to be coaching a formerly downtrodden team that got some good new players". And in the case of the Mavs and the Spurs, in addition to the elite coaches, they also have very strong organizations, cultures, and unselfish superstars who've taken pay cuts and lesser roles to help their teams reload. You couldn't say the same about the Knicks organization and expect a similar outcome from a rookie coach like Fisher. Compare Dirk and Duncan earning way below market level, to Carmelo, who should have taken a pay cut to join the Bulls if he wanted to win, but instead maxed out for a crappy Knicks team/organization.

He'll be fine, but he could have been more developed under a dude who doesn't constantly bench his young players for stupid ass shit like "he's too confident." D'Angelo doesn't get it quite as bad as Randle. Scott straight up hates that dude's guts lmao.

I don't know how any point guard can develop within the Lakers sad excuse for an offense that straight up has zero movement off the ball.

You'll get no argument from my on Byron being an incompetent hack, I just don't think it's doing any long term damage to these guys. The nature of being a high draft pick is that more often than not, you are being drafted by a shitty team, and shitty teams usually have shitty head coaches. I mean, do you think it's great for KAT and Wiggins to be playing under a buffoon like Sam Mitchell while tanking for second straight season? If Byron wasn't fired after this season, I'd be a little more worried.

mugen812

Good Lord, think of Melo man

Those minutes...

Not sure what their cap space situation is, but I could see them trying to woo Noah in the offseason. He hasn't been thrilled here since Hoiberg came to town and I could see him wanting to reunite with Thibs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think Kerr is a good coach but I wonder how much their success has to do with him and how much it has to do with the players just getting better. Along those lines, is Kerr a good coach pushing his team over the edge or was Jackson a bad coach keeping them back?

The offensive system/philosophy change is all on the coaching staff, player improvement does help but installing a system suited to your team's strengths can have a big impact. Mark Jackson ran an ISO heavy offense without a lot of passing or movement. Kerr essentially installed a hybrid of San Antonio's pass/cut heavy movement and the triangle. Then there's also rotations and managing of minutes, which is also mainly on the coaches. Unless you're LeBron anyway.

People act like D'Angelo and Julius are gonna be traumatized for life after this season. Russell is having the best year of any rookie guard despite the way Byron has jerked him around at times..

lol no hes not, he has a negative ws/48 for crying out loud

devin booker and cameron payne have been much better than him

The offensive system/philosophy change is all on the coaching staff, player improvement does help but installing a system suited to your team's strengths can have a big impact. Mark Jackson ran an ISO heavy offense without a lot of passing or movement. Kerr essentially installed a hybrid of San Antonio's pass/cut heavy movement and the triangle. Then there's also rotations and managing of minutes, which is also mainly on the coaches. Unless you're LeBron anyway.

I would get so mad watching Jarret Jack isos to close out games in Jackson's last season in GS. It was clear halfway through the season that Curry and Klay were ready to run the show and he was still allowing "veteran presence" fuckball to throw games away.

Not sure what their cap space situation is, but I could see them trying to woo Noah in the offseason. He hasn't been thrilled here since Hoiberg came to town and I could see him wanting to reunite with Thibs.

Signing Noah to a big deal with his injury history would be such a Knick move.

Chichikov

Fisher was absolutley terrible, but the Knicks should really can Phil Jackson and be done with it, he and that whole situation is a clusterfuck.

Fuck da Knicks? Fuck da Knicks.

As average as Melo has been this year, it's not really surprising this Knicks team isn't any good. They're starting Robin Lopez and Kevin Seraphim ffs.

Byron Scott is safe because the Lakers aren't trying to win games.

Lopez was very effective for the Blazers last year, so I'm chalking this one up to bad fit
or bad rotations. Last year he would regularly put up big offensive rebounding nights and even playing next to lamarcus.

Afflalo was an all star a couple years back on Orlando and can flat out score. Not sure why they paired him on a team with Melo. Another fit issue.

KP is great.

The right pieces for Melo is the way to go (e.g a pick or two, plus a defensive vet like Iguodala or even Tony Allen, combined with salary relief)

The right decision. Feel bad for him but too many poorly managed games with late collapses that most likely would not have happened with a more experienced coach.

Ric Flair

Banned
I completely forgot about since I tune out that type of sports news.

Weren't they friends?

I mean, you don't date friend's exes. I guess Fisher never heard of that lol.
You don't drive 95 miles over to your ex's apartment to beat the shit out of her new man, that's serial killer shit.

lol no hes not, he has a negative ws/48 for crying out loud

devin booker and cameron payne have been much better than him

Completely forgot about Booker, you're right. My point though is simply that despite all the shit D'Angelo is having a pretty good season for a rookie 19 year old point guard. The way people speak you'd think he was going to be playing in China next year.

This sounds like more of a perfect landing spot for Blatt than Brooklyn did. Porzingas is going to be a star, and I doubt Carmelo would mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom