• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 World Cup of Hockey |OT| World Cashgrab of Who Cares - Sponsored by SAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
If there were ever a game Rask needed to not shit the bed in, it's this one

Bob, take one for the team buddy. I'll buy you a doughnut.

yyzjohn

Banned
I think everyone wants to see Canada vs. North America on Saturday. Bettman get in there and start throwing some Penguins-esque favoritism to Team Finland please.

zroid

Banned
giphy.gif

ZeroGravity

The fact that Team North America will go this entire tournament without playing Canada OR the US is a huge missed opportunity. Just the same boring Canada/Russia/Sweden matchups we always get.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sorry TNA, doesn't seem like Finland is gonna help you out here.

The fact that Team North America will go this entire tournament without playing Canada OR the US is a huge missed opportunity. Just the same boring Canada/Russia/Sweden matchups we always get.

TNA shouldn't have lost a game then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Curufinwe

It's Ghost's fault for hitting the outside of the post in the last minute against Russia.

This game is going just like game against Sweden. We have the posession and tons of goals scoring chances but then no one can fucking score. Then the opponent uses their chances and scores. So frustrating to watch.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You're very much right, which I think is part of the problem. You either have to be perfect or get help. Good teams aren't going to make it to the next round, which I think is a bit of a shame.

Yeah, when only half the teams in each group make it through there's not much room for mistake.

calder

Honestly, the way they've looked this past month a 2 goal deficit was too much for the Finns to erase. 3 goals may as well be 6.

I wanted to make one of those "do it for her" memes with all the kids faces but I was busy at work

Quick pls give the Fins some inspiration!

edit: rip

as a finn it's always so damn depressing to watch our guys play. they try so hard yet just can't fucking get the puck in the net. how many shots did we have against Sweden, like 38? and zero goals..

and here we go again with the same shit. opponent gets one chance and they score immediately, like a punch in the guts.

have we scored more than 1 or 2 goals in this entire tournament?? maybe 3? i've missed them all even though i've watched almost every minute..

as a finn it's always so damn depressing to watch our guys play. they try so hard yet just can't fucking get the puck in the net. how many shots did we have against Sweden, like 38? and zero goals..

and here we go again with the same shit. opponent gets one chance and they score immediately, like a punch in the guts.

have we scored more than 1 or 2 goals in this entire tournament?? maybe 3? i've missed them all even though i've watched almost every minute..

I feel Horrible Goaltending might be a factor too. Rask and Rinne are DrJekyll and Mr.Hyde goalies. They can look like Veznia winners one game, absolutely terrible in another

spolle

Just one (1) goal by Filppula so far

Just one (1) goal by Filppula so far

jesus.. most pathetic tournament i've seen from us. ugh.

oh well it was just some weird world cup, that world championships final hurt much more.. we already beat Canada once and then suddenly we completely froze against them in the more important game :/

With 8 teams and 2 groups, I wonder if they had time for 6 teams to advance to a quarterfinal round. Winner of each group gets a bye, 2 and 3 play each other, winner plays the first seed in the semifinal. Final is a winner-take-all instead of a best-of-3.

calder

So...how did Laine look this tournament?

Good lord is that a tag you got.

Laine looked OK, he sure didn't elevate his team or anything but he was fine considering he was the youngest player in the tournament playing on a mediocre team. Overall I'd say he looked like he belonged which, at this stage, is all you can ask of him. Important to remember the level of competition in this is much, much higher than anything he's seen before and is also noticeably higher than what he'll see in the NHL.

With 8 teams and 2 groups, I wonder if they had time for 6 teams to advance to a quarterfinal round. Winner of each group gets a bye, 2 and 3 play each other, winner plays the first seed in the semifinal. Final is a winner-take-all instead of a best-of-3.

I know everyone wanted more TNA but I liked the fact that only 4 teams made it past the group stage. It made the initial games much more exciting knowing the top teams weren't going to get a couple of easy games they don't really need to win to start the tournament. Canada wasn't able to shrug about barely beating Slovakia or not really care that the Swiss took them to OT like they would in an Olympics.

ZeroGravity

I would have much rather seen this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom