• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 FIFA Confederations Cup | OT | 17 June – 2 July 2017 | Putin on a show

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
While we are on the subject of the VAR it's ridiculous that they had to rely on it for the offside in the PorMex match. What the fuck was the linesman doing?

C0qm1Dc.jpg

v1lla21

While we are on the subject of the VAR it's ridiculous that they had to rely on it for the offside in the PorMex match. What the fuck was the linesman doing?

C0qm1Dc.jpg
Lmao. I still don't know why they went to VAR for POR's Second goal.

I'm completely fine with VAR since it doesn't actually take as long as people make it out to be. Sometimes players waste more time on the floor than VAR reviews lol. Although I believe we should implement a challenge system like in baseball.

Well, I'm glad Chile won, but I'm afraid those so many chances that didn't end in goals are going to bite us in the ass in the future.

VAR needs to improve. Also, did I understand that FIFA expects it to be applied to every damn goal situation or only for the "polemic" ones?

I mean, if nobody is complaining after a goal. Do we still need to wait until the VAR guys say: "yeah, that was goal"?

Niks

VAR needs to improve. Also, did I understand that FIFA expects it to be applied to every damn goal situation or only for the "polemic" ones?

I mean, if nobody is complaining after a goal. Do we still need to wait until the VAR guys say: "yeah, that was goal"?

As I understand, they have extra referees watching the game in real time. It doenst matter if its "polemic" or not. They review each action. Of course some goals are clear cut, so theres no need to go into detail.

InertiaXr

Yup. 3 or 2 calls top for each team.

As long as the team is correct in their challenge there is no reasonable argument for ever limiting them. If the refs keep making bad calls that review clearly overturns the team should't be artificially capped to how correctly the game is called due to ref incompetence

As I understand, they have extra referees watching the game in real time. It doenst matter if its "polemic" or not. They review each action. Of course some goals are clear cut, so theres no need to go into detail.

Ah I see, thanks. So far I was getting the impression that after a goal always we'll have that moment where the referee is kinda saying "wait wait, don't celebrate shit, let's see what the VAR guys say about this", which would be terrible IMO.

Blue Lou

From FIFA:
The Video Assistance Referee (VAR) was used to judge the following situations during today’s FIFA Confederations Cup match between Cameroon and Chile:

First half

- Goal not given due to offside position of the player Eduardo Vargas as judged by Video Assistance Referee

2896237_full-lnd.jpg

Second half

- Goal given as player Alexis Sánchez not in offside position as judged by Video Assistance Referee

DCopOMmW0AEsU_g.jpg:orig

Would this technology they are using have correctly called the handball on the goal line on the german player in the 2006 QF game when it should have been a penalty for the US? Or the Thierry Henry goal scored against Ireland where he obviously used his hand? Is the tech only for offsides and if the ball crossed the line and scored a goal? Or will it be used to determine if something is actually a penalty foul or if there's a handball? Basically how far are they going with this tech?

For the record, I'm for it, other sports have been using technology, soccer should catch up.

Would this technology they are using have correctly called the handball on the goal line on the german player in the 2006 QF game when it should have been a penalty for the US? Or the Thierry Henry goal scored against Ireland where he obviously used his hand? Is the tech only for offsides and if the ball crossed the line and scored a goal? Or will it be used to determine if something is actually a penalty foul or if there's a handball? Basically how far are they going with this tech?

For the record, I'm for it, other sports have been using technology, soccer should catch up.

Only goals, red card situations, penalties and cases where the wrong player was given the card.

Oh and the Germany vs USA game you're thinking of happened in 2002.

Predictions for tonight:

Ger 1 - 1 Aus.

People will be surprised with the ability of Rogic and Mooy for Australia.

Last time we met, it was 2-2 in Germany in 2015 against a much stronger German team.

choodi

Banned
After watching a season of Championship refereeing absolutely nothing surprises me anymore. They're all fucking useless.

Newcastle fan? That game against Forest was a fucking travesty. Plus there were many more decisions against us that were bullshit. So glad to see the back of that fucking league.

Predictions for tonight:

Ger 1 - 1 Aus.

Last time we met, it was 2-2 in Germany in 2015 against a much stronger German team.

As a fellow Aussie, I hope you are right...I really do.

As a realist, no fucking chance. It's going to be 3-0. Rogic and Mooy cannot make up for a shithouse defence and a midfield (aside from Mooy) that can't pass the ball in a forward direction.

Predictions for tonight:

Ger 1 - 1 Aus.

Very possible, since we actually just send whoever got time this summer....and im not even kidding

la_briola

Predictions for tonight:

Ger 1 - 1 Aus.

Very possible, since we actually just send whoever got time this summer....and im not even kidding

I think you are really underrating this team. Most of the players today will be the core of the next world cup and players like Stindl should have been called up YEARS ago.

Eila

damn it, another loss to germany the first game of a tourney!

Blimey mate, Australia is bloody unlucky with draws.
At a least you only lost by one goal and scored two so you have a chance of maybe being in a favorable GD position come the third match if you manage to beat Cameroon.

Hoping for a Portugal victory here + a Mexico victory vs NZ. Both by as many goals as possible to give Mex a nice goal difference cushion vs Russia.

Edit. Woops, thought Russia only had 1 point for some reason.

Top Bottom