• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Yauch's (of the Beastie Boys) will released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einhander

I thought this was interesting to post. Truly admirable of him. He's never a sellout, even beyond the afterlife.

As far as Mike D and Adrock selling his music to advertisers, they'd never do that. All three men were of one mind when it came to the topic of selling their music to advertisers: they were opposed to it.

Even though the Beastie Boys are missing a member, as iconic and irreplaceable as he was, I'd still like them to release Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 1, perhaps also throwing in some unreleased tracks as a final hurrah for the group. And hey, maybe they'd feel inspired enough to release yet another new album after that as a duo. I really do believe MCA would've wanted them to move on and continue making music.

MANHATTAN — Late Beastie Boys member MCA made sure he would never be a corporate sellout — even in the afterlife.

The pioneering rapper, whose real name is Adam Yauch, instructed in his will that his image, music and any art he created could not be used for advertising, saving himself from the fate of other deceased musicians whose faces and songs have become corporate shills.

Yauch's will, filed Tuesday in Manhattan Surrogate Court, says the Brooklyn native's entire fortune of $6.4 million should be placed in a trust for his wife, Dechen Yauch, and their 13-year-old daughter. It also says Dechen has the right to sell and manage his artistic property.

Yauch died May 4 at the age of 47 from salivary cancer, just days after the Beastie Boys were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Yauch founded the Beastie Boys with rappers Ad-Rock and Mike D, and has co-writing credits on the band's most famous songs, including "No Sleep till Brooklyn," "Fight for Your Right (to Party)," "Sabotage" and "Hey Ladies."

It's unclear whether Yauch's will would prevent his bandmates from ever selling the music they wrote together to advertisers. Yauch's lawyer and a spokesman for the Beastie Boys did not respond to requests for comment.

A champion of Buddhism and Tibet, Yauch also directed music videos and the group's concert film, "Awesome; I F---in' Shot That!"

Corporations have regulalry enlisted deceased musicians, celebrities and historical figures in ads. In 1997, Apple used the images of John Lennon, Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi in a black-and-white commercial to launch its "Think Different" campaign.

Source: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ill-says-dont-use-his-music-ads#ixzz234MhjnRK

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nice sentiment I guess, but you can't really have that kind of dead hand control.

I googled his wife:

lsgTk.jpg

sBWPS.jpg

She's Tibetan-American.

His kid:

/edit
am I being weird here? I felt like googling his wife for some reason then though: why not post it?

I have to say that I'm surprised that a member of the Beastie Boys, an enormously successful group that toured and released massive selling albums for around 25 years, only amassed 6.4 million dollars. I was expecting far more. I would gladly take it of course.

KingGondo

Banned
I have to say that I'm surprised that a member of the Beastie Boys, an enormously successful group that toured and released massive selling albums for around 25 years, only amassed 6.4 million dollars. I was expecting far more. I would gladly take it of course.
Yeah, I'm surprised he didnt have more too.

gdt

I was surprised too, until I remember how involved he was with charity. Maybe he gave a lot away?

FStop7

Banned

I'm guessing either he has more that's undisclosed or he donated a lot of it.

Einhander

I'm leaning towards him having donated a great sum of his money. I know that he co-founded the Milarpa Fund, an American non-profit organization which helped Tibetan monks, but I believe its purpose has served for other initiatives now. He always struck me as a peaceful, down-to-earth, selfless person. A role model, without a doubt.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Musicians only make money from touring and selling their songs to shows/commercials/movies.

Beastie Boys didn't do either

Beastie Boys "Putting Shame in Your Game" lyrics by MCA..

Don't grease my palm with your filthy cash
Multinationals spreading like a rash
I might stick around or I might be a fad
But I won't sell my songs for no TV ad

Czigga

Maybe it's that there is a warped perception that all successful musicians are unbelievably rich. There are maybe 20 super rich musicians, then another 5% who have as much as MCA. Then the other 95% are all either scraping by or broke.

NinjaBoiX

I saw the thread title and thought it was in bad taste. However, after reading the op, I'm glad I clicked. What a guy.

mackattk

Maybe it's that there is a warped perception that all successful musicians are unbelievably rich. There are maybe 20 super rich musicians, then another 5% who have as much as MCA. Then the other 95% are all either scraping by or broke.

And think, Flo Rida is richer than ~98% of them.

I have always admired the Beastie Boys, and have always wanted to watch that concert that was mentioned in the OP. It is a cool concept, they gave everybody in the audience a video camera, and they edited and cut the footage to show the full concert from all the different cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom