• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beastie Boys rapper Adam Yauch dead at 47

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Very sad news, the singing industry will never be the same without the Beasties as a whole.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NY Mets are honoring him. Every batters walk-up music tonight is a Beastie Boys song.

Terrible news :(

Ill Communication is one of the best albums ever!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzRKkXk56iE

All five of their first albums were great in their own way.

Licensed to Ill' : while being the most commercial of them all, had a RUN DMC meets a college frat boy sound. Silly and fun, completely tongue in cheek.

Paul's Boutique
: Heavily matured version of License to ill' with incredible production values. This album also took a bit more of a 70's funk sound, and used a lot of multi layering techniques that were pretty revolutionary for its time. This one also broke away from the "Partying and Drinking" vibe of the first album. Definitely my favorite one.

Check your Head: Gets a little more punk, the band starts playing their own instruments on this album and they also start incorporating instrumental tracks. It has a harder sound than the last record, and a little more matured lyrics.

Ill Communication: A bit more of an extension to Check your Head, but also starts to infuse a jazz like sound in some tracks. Lyrics start to go to a more philosophical and on the spiritual side.

Hello Nasty: Goes back to a more sample heavy sound than the last two, with Mix Master Mike at the helm. Also some tracks take on a dance-club like sound. Though they do try and mix things up with quite a few different music genres too. Not my favorite album of the bunch (it doesn't fit with my tastes of the last three albums), but it still has some awesome tracks.

To the 5 Boroughs Was interesting, but not one of my favorites, it takes away the scratchy analogue sound of the previous records and replaces them with clean cut computer generated sounds. I can understand what they were trying to do with this one, but not one of my favorites. Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 was a nice throwback to their earlier stuff, but not quite as epic. It was a good album though. Sort of a reflection on their past work.

The first four and some parts of five will always be amazing to me. Sad to see that things have come to an end.

Shaneus

NY Mets are honoring him. Every batters walk-up music tonight is a Beastie Boys song.
I hope someone's getting footage of that (unless they broadcast those parts). I would download that.

Big respect to them.

First time? Yeah itll do that to you =D

Proud of you son
Yeah man, was just epic. Can't buy it quick enough now!

Getting teary as fuck here, man this is not a good look. Glad I live by myself :/ Gotta stop watching old vids and reading people's tributes. It's killing me.

Einhander

I'm fucking stunned, man. Beastie Boys are one of my favorite groups of all time. I've had Ill Communication playing in my car for a very long time.

"Bodhisattva Vow," "The Update," and "Stand Together" are some of the best MCA tracks. In fact, "Bodhisattva Vow" is inspirational to me and I listen to it often. It keeps me positive.

Rest in Peace, Yauch. You were a phenomenal rapper and a wonderful human being. You will be missed.

I wonder what this means for the Beastie Boys. Will Mike D and Adrock continue the group and release Hot Sauce Committee Part 1? Or will they disband?

NGAMER9

I have to imagine we'll hear Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 at some point. It'd be a nice tribute, and obviously the fans want it, so why not? Maybe they'll go with some type of unconventional release format, like they were planning years ago.

I forgot how solid HSCP2 is, listening to it today, it has some great stuff. Maybe it doesn't live up to their classics, but it's still a fun listen, and better than some of their releases. Of course, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, and Ill Communication are untouchable.

Einhander

I have to imagine we'll hear Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 at some point. It'd be a nice tribute, and obviously the fans want it, so why not? Maybe they'll go with some type of unconventional release format, like they were planning years ago.

I honestly wouldn't mind them making an album with just the two of them, but man, it would be so strange not hearing MCA on a new Beastie Boys album. He was my favorite rapper of the three of them. His voice and flows were awesome.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://dicomo.mlblogs.com/

Mets honor Beastie Boys with at-bat music

The Beastie Boys are big Mets fans, and vice versa. So when clubhouse music gurus Justin Turner and Scott Hairston suggested that the Mets honor late band member Adam “MCA” Yauch with their walk-up music Friday night, the whole team jumped on board. Here’s what they chose:

SS Ruben Tejada: “Intergalactic”
2B Daniel Murphy: “No Sleep Till Brooklyn”
3B David Wright: “Brass Monkey”
RF Lucas Duda: “The New Style”
LF Scott Hairston: “Root Down”
1B Ike Davis: “Fight For Your Right (To Party)”
CF Andres Torres: “So What’cha Want”
C Josh Thole: “Make Some Noise”
RHP Dillon Gee: “Body Movin’”

PH Vinny Rottino: “Paul Revere”

RIP : (

Way to young man, fuck cancer. <3 Beastie Boys
ev7MP.jpg

RIP

NGAMER9

I honestly wouldn't mind them making an album with just the two of them, but man, it would be so strange not hearing MCA on a new Beastie Boys album.
I don't see that happening at all, it would just feel wrong, for them and us. I doubt they are thinking about the future of the Beastie Boys at all right now anyway.

I do hope they continue in music obviously, but not under the Beastie Boys name. But by all means, put out Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 and any other unreleased stuff.

Einhander

Yeah, they could create a new group, or make solo albums. But yeah, now's not the time for them to be thinking about their future music endeavors. I can't imagine how crushed they are right now.

Yeah, they could create a new group, or make solo albums. But yeah, now's not the time for them to be thinking about their future music endeavors. I can't imagine how crushed they are right now.

Well, they've all done solo projects at some point or another and side projects (Mike D did music for Jet Set Radio Future, for example). But there has never been a Beastie Boys album released without all three of them.

It's just not the Beastie Boys without MCA, Mike D and Ad-Rock in the line up.

Shaneus

Everyone should check this out. I'm sure we all pretty much felt like these guys at one stage.

http://dicomo.mlblogs.com/

Mets honor Beastie Boys with at-bat music

The Beastie Boys are big Mets fans, and vice versa. So when clubhouse music gurus Justin Turner and Scott Hairston suggested that the Mets honor late band member Adam &#8220;MCA&#8221; Yauch with their walk-up music Friday night, the whole team jumped on board. Here&#8217;s what they chose:

SS Ruben Tejada: &#8220;Intergalactic&#8221;
2B Daniel Murphy: &#8220;No Sleep Till Brooklyn&#8221;
3B David Wright: &#8220;Brass Monkey&#8221;
RF Lucas Duda: &#8220;The New Style&#8221;
LF Scott Hairston: &#8220;Root Down&#8221;
1B Ike Davis: &#8220;Fight For Your Right (To Party)&#8221;
CF Andres Torres: &#8220;So What&#8217;cha Want&#8221;
C Josh Thole: &#8220;Make Some Noise&#8221;
RHP Dillon Gee: &#8220;Body Movin&#8217;&#8221;

PH Vinny Rottino: &#8220;Paul Revere&#8221;
Yeah, as an Australian, if anyone's able to find a way I can watch/download these, I'd be so, SO grateful. Thanks <3

I gotta post again man. Thank you MCA and Beasties for your contribution to the music world. You guys were THE soundtrack to my youth. It's because of you guys that I discovered Rap, Punk, Funk, Turntablism, Sampling, Mpc's, Skateboarding, Adidas, Graffiti, Buddhism, A Tribe Called Quest (saw them together in 1995, never heard Tribe before), Def Jam records, Cypress Hill (saw em together in 1993), BUYING records (first record ever purchased was Licensed to Ill) , jesus the list is huge......Living legends.

Again, Thank you.

dejay

Banned
Just came back from work - I told everyone there I'd be playing Beastie Boys all day over the PA, but it didn't last an hour.

Gonna play them non-stop for at least a few days-they were pretty diverse with what they produced.

I don't see that happening at all, it would just feel wrong, for them and us. I doubt they are thinking about the future of the Beastie Boys at all right now anyway.

I do hope they continue in music obviously, but not under the Beastie Boys name. But by all means, put out Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 and any other unreleased stuff.

Dunno - I wouldn't mind a tribute album. They must have a million stories they can tell in musical form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom