• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beastie Boys rapper Adam Yauch dead at 47

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touch

Well I got to keep it going keep it going full steam
Too sweet to be sour too nice to be mean
On the tough guy style I'm not too keen
To try to change the world I will plot and scheme

:(

rip

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
From the family tree of old school hip hop
Kick off your shoes and relax your socks
The rhymes will spread just like a pox
Cause the music is live like an electric shock

I grew up on them. Got a taste in 7th grade with Licensed to Ill, and that was all it took. Each album was a milestone in my life; Paul's Boutique was in a new city, Check your Head was my senior year, I'll Communication was my first apartment. After that, I didn't listen to them much, but HSCP2 brought back my love for them.

RIP, Adam Yauch. You had a lot of people grow up with you. Thanks for everything you left us.

Blondie

Neo Member
My girl just alerted me to this, so fucking saddened. I can remember Beastie Boys' debut License to Ill' coming out while I was a little kid in elementary school and how it opened me up to the world of hip-hop that I wasn't really aware of at the time. RIP MCA...

Reading that the Beastie Boys have been around for 30+ years made me feel old as fuck. In fact, heavy d, Mca and Whitney Houston dying all gave Me that feeling.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Lookin' for a girl I ran into a guy
His name is MCA, I said, Howdy he said, Hi

Now my name is MCA. I've got a license to kill
I think you know what time it is it's time to get ill
Now what do we have here an outlaw and his beer
I run this land, you understand I make myself clear.

Reading that the Beastie Boys have been around for 30+ years made me feel old as fuck. In fact, heavy d, Mca and Whitney Houston dying all gave Me that feeling.

The creepy thing is, none of these musicians were that old when they died. Heavy D died at the age of 44, Whitney Houston died at 48, Adam Yauch at 47. All under the age of 50....

Even Michael died at age 50....

None of these musicians lived long enough to see their geriatric years...

dejay

Banned
OKqdv.jpg

Finding this just made me burst into tears again. I keep alternating between joy and sadness listening.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I will miss you Nathaniel Hornblower. Rest in peace old friend.

Shaneus

Man, it's fucking impossible to get the remaster of Boutique anywhere. Their online store doesn't want to sell it for some reason and there are exactly zero copies of it anywhere in any stores around my town. Looks like I'll have to d/l and purchase a physical copy from eBay or something :(

Man, it's fucking impossible to get the remaster of Boutique anywhere. Their online store doesn't want to sell it for some reason and there are exactly zero copies of it anywhere in any stores around my town. Looks like I'll have to d/l and purchase a physical copy from eBay or something :(

the remastered version is cool and all but I will always prefer my vinyl version....rare beastie stuff is about to become even rarer I imagine....

Ryaaan14

Banned
Listened to the Beastie Boys all day today. Almost cried when MCA came on in Brass Monkey with "COME ON YALL IT'S TIME TO GET NICE." Muscle memory kicked in and I sang it out loud like I did every time in school.

Sigh. RIP.

Shaneus

the remastered version is cool and all but I will always prefer my vinyl version....rare beastie stuff is about to become even rarer I imagine....
But the original pressing of Paul's Boutique is hardly considered rare... I don't think? Unless you have a numbered one or something, AFAIK it was pretty common.

All I'd be happy with is something to pay tribute to MCA and the boys with. Digital copy for now, vinyl copy for display purposes. Seems impossible though :/

Anyone remember the Shadrach impressionist video???? Always really dug it cause it was handpainted.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVfHmjKOrM

Yeah, this was an awesome video. Love the impressionist look, and apparently they had different artists paint different panels.. It's hard to believe that it was from 1989.

Haha, awesome. I've never heard this one before, probably because it came from one of the EP's I've never seen before. I'm not sure why they used "The Sounds of Science Anthology" as the video image. It was never part of that compilation. Love the "tire squeal" record scratches from Car Thief thrown in there.

Just got back from the Coldplay concert and they did a beautiful tribute to Beasty Boys.
Chris performed "Fight for Your Right to Party" on his piano. Really moving stuff.

Haha, awesome. I've never heard this one before, probably because it came from one of the EP's I've never seen before. I'm not sure why they used "The Sounds of Science Anthology" as the video image. It was never part of that compilation. Love the "tire squeal" record scratches from Car Thief thrown in there.

Yeah that's weird that the photo is from Sounds of Science.....I first heard that on a bootleg CD I bought at Virgin Megastore called Rare tracks and beast. I paid like 45 bucks for it. Pretty sure it wasn't legit at all. Good luck finding it now......

http://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys-Rare-Tracks-Beast/release/818225

Shaneus

vaelic

Banned
I'm fucking stunned, man. Beastie Boys are one of my favorite groups of all time. I've had Ill Communication playing in my car for a very long time.

"Bodhisattva Vow," "The Update," and "Stand Together" are some of the best MCA tracks. In fact, "Bodhisattva Vow" is inspirational to me and I listen to it often. It keeps me positive.

Rest in Peace, Yauch. You were a phenomenal rapper and a wonderful human being. You will be missed.

I wonder what this means for the Beastie Boys. Will Mike D and Adrock continue the group and release Hot Sauce Committee Part 1? Or will they disband?

nice avatar!

So I just wanna say that I went to a party at my buddy's place, and there was a dude drinking a brass monkey from a Cobra 40... which was exactly what I was drinking too.

Of course, in honor of MCA. Rest in peace and thank you for all the good times. You will be and are already missed by everyone

Yeah that's weird that the photo is from Sounds of Science.....I first heard that on a bootleg CD I bought at Virgin Megastore called Rare tracks and beast. I paid like 45 bucks for it. Pretty sure it wasn't legit at all. Good luck finding it now......

http://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys-Rare-Tracks-Beast/release/818225

That's going to be worth quite a bit in the future. I'm listening to some of those tracks on Youtube right now.

Beastie Groove - I've never heard any of their pre-Licensed to Ill' stuff before. This is awesome, but wow, talk about drum machine abuse. :p
The Party's Getting Rough - Rough indeed. Love the rant in the middle.
Rock Hard - Rapping over Back in Black. I love hearing this early stuff.
And what you give is what you get - Mostly just instrumental from Shadrach. Still like the 70's Funk sound that the Dust Brothers put together.
Neat a cappella of Hold It, Now Hit It

That's going to be worth quite a bit in the future. I'm listening to some of those tracks on Youtube right now.
Neat a cappella of Hold It, Now Hit It

interesting

Chuck D was tweeting about this after the RRHOF induction. That it was the first time he'd heard rappers go off like this without a beat, and it's all because of a misprint (this should have been the B side) and it was the first time any hip hop group even included an A Capella to begin with. This one took off. To the delight of DJs everywhere it then became commonplace for groups to release A Capella versions of their singles. Legendary shit followed.

Shaneus

I'd never seen the video for Holt It Now, didn't even know there was one. Shows them on their rise in a perfect fashion, I think. Great to watch (along with all their other vids).

TwiztidElf

Like so many GAF-generation, Beasties are the backgrund music to so many important and memorable moments in my life.

Perhaps the first most impactful celebrity death of someone I had ridiculous respect for growing up (next to Easy-E and Kurt Cobain)

A very sad day indeed.

soultron

Banned
Beastie Boys were the first actual music I could call my own. Hello Nasty was my first CD I bought and owned as a kid.

Sad news. RIP.

Really sad to hear this, Beasties are awesome.

I think this is my favourite track by them. I heard it on a rollerblading video years ago, took me ages to track down as it was a b-side on an EP. I used to watch the section the song was on, then be pumped up to go out skating, and I would have that track playing in my head.

Yep. Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication were like, a main part of the soundtrack to my adventure through high school.

RIP MCA. :(

Kind of strange that the BB's usually don't get mentioned at all by Hip-Hop circles, but do in others. I will always remember the Boys for never changing and making amazing fun Hip-Hop records. Never giving in to whatever fads was going in the 90's and 2K's....Props.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom