• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty tough round of footy tips this week. Over half the games you could realistically see swing either way.
A lot of the sides I'm still not sure what to think of them.

fisheyes

Pretty tough round of footy tips this week. Over half the games you could realistically see swing either way.
A lot of the sides I'm still not sure what to think of them.

Honestly the only games I want to call with any confidence are West Coast over Melbourne (duh) and Richmond over the Bulldogs, but then again Richmond are pretty good at losing games they should win so you never really know. G Dubs are a real chance for an upset, I think. And the rest are pretty much flip a coin stuff.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday April 12th
Fremantle vs. Essendon @ Patersons Stadium

Saturday April 13th
North Melbourne vs. Sydney @ Blundstone Arena
Melbourne vs. West Coast @ The MCG
Greater Western Sydney vs. St Kilda @ Manuka Oval
Geelong vs. Carlton @ Etihad Stadium
Gold Coast vs. Brisbane @ Metricon Stadium

Sunday April 14th
Richmond vs. Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Stadium
Collingwood vs. Hawthorn @ The MCG
Port Adelaide vs. Adelaide @ AAMI Stadium

Round 3 Teams

Ydahs

Man, Essendon just can't catch a break.

Hope they come out firing tonight and show solidarity and unity, just like they did against Adelaide in round one.

Ydahs

Amazing win from the Dons. They looked done at quarter time but managed to crawl back and dominate the game in the second half in one of the best wins I've seen in a long time.

You can tell how much it means to the team by the reactions post match.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Keep it up Dees! Glad they're showing something after how dismal their future looked last week. Only 7 pts in it.

Edit: Geez, both games today were blowouts in the third. 11.4 to 1.3 and 11.3 to 1.1

Edit 2: Competitive for a half. Better than last week I suppose...

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Surprising game, I thought Geelong looked flat much of the night in tonight's game and barely looked to get out of 2nd gear. I thought Carlton would really bring it right up to us but they didn't really trouble us at all outside the very end. They didn't seem to have that same zip you normally see from them.

xptoxyz

I'm curious about Australian Football, have been before and this thread made it come back. Say I want to watch some matches of your sport abroad, any good place to watch matches? Even if they're recorded some hours previous. Rather watch modern stuff and see current state of the sport than searching for historic matches or something.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious about Australian Football, have been before and this thread made it come back. Say I want to watch some matches of your sport abroad, any good place to watch matches? Even if they're recorded some hours previous. Rather watch modern stuff and see current state of the sport than searching for historic matches or something.

I had a look around, it's pretty bare.

By far the best option if you're OK with paying is to go here:
http://afltv.afl.com.au/
It's an official site and seems to cover every game.

There's one full game on youtube if you want a quick taste, you could try keeping an eye on there if you can be bothered. Just search using "AFL 2013" and filter by 20 minute videos and recent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKJB3IqyCbo

This thread on Bigfooty looks pretty handy if they can keep it updated. Shows a list of known televised games:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/international-afl-tv-guides.993323/

Good luck.

xptoxyz

I had a look around, it's pretty bare.

By far the best option if you're OK with paying is to go here:
http://afltv.afl.com.au/
It's an official site and seems to cover every game.

There's one full game on youtube if you want a quick taste, you could try keeping an eye on there if you can be bothered. Just search using "AFL 2013" and filter by 20 minute videos and recent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKJB3IqyCbo

This thread on Bigfooty looks pretty handy if they can keep it updated. Shows a list of known televised games:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/international-afl-tv-guides.993323/

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the help. Those TV listings for games help a lot, I had checked on the official site for the channels that had the rights and crossing with the horrible channel websites was hard finding all the games, this way I might be able to DVR those maybe even watch some live. And I may just as well check that one on youtube when I have the time if it's not taken down, watching a first game when I can pause to search internet for something I don't understand might just be what I need.

xptoxyz

So, I'm watching Adelaide vs Essendon (round 1) right now. What would it be called when there is a pile up on the ball after a lost ball and the referee (umpire?) bounces it again on the ground (ball up?), I guess these are called only when the ball is not moving for some time up to his discretion.

jambo

The umpire will run in with his arms crossed across his chest and call a "ball up."

Happens when the ball is clearly locked in under a few players and not coming out.

I think the proper name would be a "stoppage" maybe.

Had a trip to Canberra to watch the Giants take on St Kilda last weekend... Ended up being a pretty rough night at the office but was a great crowd.

With Patton gone for the season, and Brogan and Smith all out for the game v Melbourne on Sunday it is going to be tough. Hopefully Sheedy will rest Hampton as well. Should be an interesting game, last time we got a win it worked out pretty well for Port!

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday April 19th
Sydney vs. Geelong @ The SCG

Saturday April 20th
Hawthorn vs. Fremantle @ Aurora Stadium
Richmond vs. Collingwood @ The MCG
St Kilda vs. Essendon @ Etihad Stadium
Gold Coast vs. Port Adelaide @ Metricon Stadium
West Coast vs. Carlton @ Patersons Stadium

Sunday April 21st
Melbourne vs. Greater Western Sydney @ The MCG
Adelaide vs. Western Bulldogs @ AAMI Stadium
North Melbourne vs. Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium

Round 4 Teams

jambo

My tips this week

Sydney

Hawthorn
Richmond
Essendon
Port Adelaide
West Coast

Greater Western Sydney
Adelaide
North Melbourne

Dimorphic

Swans just let it slip. Both quality teams and will be thereabouts at the end of the season. Sydney still seem underdone from the short pre-season and I expect in about a month we'll be firing like last year.

Can't wait for Tippet to return!

Shaneus

Wow, Geelong. Keep it up!

Edit: Fantastic win. I honestly didn't see us winning tonight.
Me neither. Saw the 11 down or whatever to injury and thought it was gonna be a Sydney whitewash. But Geelong held it in the first half and just blitzed the second, so I was really quite happy with that. Those touched goals and the posts almost killed me in the first half, though :/

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Well done, Dees. Great last quarter effort when they knew they had to lift. Down 19 at the last change and kicked 12.2 to 2.2. GWS ran out of legs but it was still great to see Melbourne work hard to get that much needed win. Entertaining game also.

One word MAJAK!!! The best 15min debut anyone has ever seen lol. As an Aussie of African descent what he's doing is huge for the African community, speaking with his dad last week he knows what kind of pressure his son is under.
Lets hope he gets up for next week.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Thursday April 25th
Essendon vs. Collingwood @ The MCG [Anzac Day clash]
St Kilda vs. Sydney @ Westpac Stadium

Friday April 26th
Fremantle vs. Richmond @ Patersons Stadium

Saturday April 27th
Greater Western Sydney vs. Gold Coast @ Startrack Oval
Carlton vs. Adelaide @ The MCG
Western Bulldogs vs. Geelong @ Etihad Stadium
Port Adelaide vs. West Coast @ AAMI Stadium

Sunday April 28th
Brisbane vs. Melbourne @ The Gabba
Hawthorn vs. North Melbourne @ AAMI Stadium

Round 5 Teams

jambo

Essendon (by 9 points)
Sydney

Fremantle

Gold Coast
Carlton
Geelong
Port Adelaide

Brisbane
Hawthorn

tips for this weekend

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I thought about it for much of today and finally settled on Essendon. It's going to be a ripping game.
Also went with Sydney; I'll pick the rest Friday.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Port v West Coast is such a hard game to pick. I've been flip-flopping between both sides for the last hour or so. Surely West Coast can win it, right?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Some shocking umpiring going on in the Cats v Bulldogs game. At least 10 free kicks for the Bulldogs they should have received. I know it benefits us but you want to see a fair contest.

Edit: Pretty flat display from Geelong, just did enough to get the win. Props to the Bulldogs for how well they played; their big men killed us.

West Coast letting me down. How'd they let that margin slip is beyond me.

Shaneus

I'm not surprised Geelong didn't run away with it. Have a habit of playing just well enough to win and not push too hard when there's little-to-no benefit.

Is that three teams on 5-0 now?

Ydahs

Apparently I just missed out on one of the best last quarters of footy! Gonna try to watch it sometime tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom