• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

fisheyes

Had to go to an engagement party last night, so gave my Power tickets to a mate. Lucky bastard. Got to watch the last 5 minutes on someone's phone, but thats it. Can't wait to see the second half replay.

jambo

I wouldn't have minded seeing North get over the Hawks to ruin my perfect tips, but free Whopper for lunch!

Dead Man

935451_403092633131740_1595746214_n.jpg

Sorry Crows fans, I found it funny.

jambo

Picked this up for $10 today:

It said 360 minutes on the back, but I chucked it in and it's really around 100 minutes =\ Thinking about emailing the AFL and seeing if they'll do anything...

They've also re-released the 60s, 70s and 90s videos, with the 60s being a double DVD 360 minute offering and the 70s, 80s and 90s being around 100 minutes.

Shaneus

Different audio commentaries? I dunno if they count towards running time, but I'd guess so.

Unless it's meant to be a part of a pack of DVDs... with Scintillating 70s and Nervous 90s or something.

jambo

Nah, it's a single audio track, basically a 7 Sport doco from way back that was put on DVD by the AFL.

And the new budget re-releases are single DVDs that aren't bundled, so I think it's just a printing error.

The others are the Sensational Seventies, the The 90s: The Decade That Delivered and I can't remember the 60s one.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Fairly straightforward round of tips.
I think Richmond have a very good chance of winning this week against Geelong but I'm hoping the Cats find something extra for Stevie J and Enright who are both celebrating milestones.

fisheyes

I can see the Suns upsetting a very undermanned Freo. They only lost the corresponding fixture by 7 points last year, and though I was championing Freo as a Top 4 side before the season started, they haven't been all that flash. Suns, meanwhile, looked good last week, and probably have all weeks except for the game against the Power.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I can see the Suns upsetting a very undermanned Freo. They only lost the corresponding fixture by 7 points last year, and though I was championing Freo as a Top 4 side before the season started, they haven't been all that flash. Suns, meanwhile, looked good last week, and probably have all weeks except for the game against the Power.

Interesting. I did do a double take on that game but thought Freo would be still good enough to win but that was before I saw their outs (forgot about Fyfe) and I didn't know about the last game either. May have a good think about it and change.

Edit: Ablett wasn't playing either. GC also had a couple of injuries worries during the game too; Bock broke his leg.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday May 3rd
Collingwood vs. St Kilda @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday May 4th
Essendon vs. Greater Western Sydney @ Etihad Stadium
North Melbourne vs. Port Adelaide @ Blundstone Arena
Adelaide vs. Hawthorn @ AAMI Stadium
Richmond vs. Geelong @ The MCG
Gold Coast vs. Fremantle @ Metricon Stadium

Sunday May 5th
Sydney vs. Brisbane @ The SCG
Carlton vs. Melbourne @ The MCG
West Coast vs. Western Bulldogs @ Patersons Stadium

Round 6 Teams

jambo

Collingwood

Essendon
Port Adelaide
Hawthorn
Geelong
Gold Coast

Sydney
Carlton
West Coast

Carn Ports, 6 straight!

Was listening to the SEN1116 rundown with Finey and they were saying that Freo were the biggest overs in a long long time. The only advantage they have is being coached by Ross Lyon other than that Gold Coast actually has a better team out on the park.

jambo

St Kilda certainly looked good in the first half, but then fell away. Amazing work by Nick Riewoldt, even in the last quarter he was still going and going and going, even though he looked stuff after every mark and goal. And what superb goal kicking, he's in amazing form again.

Pies looked terrible in the first but ok in the second. The expected result, but we're still a long way off our best. Beams, Ball and Maxwell to return in coming weeks and also Keeffe would be a welcome addition.

jambo

I did a double take when I saw the score on my phone.

Also what's with Foxtel showing the other score that's on Fox Sorts 3? What if I don't want to know it until I watch it =

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Glad the Cats lifted to get Enright and Johnson a win. Seeing Boris slot a goal from the boundary made the night even better.

What a waste of a pick backing Gold Coast was. They actually won a lot of the stats but didn't really trouble the scoreboard at all so not sure what happened.
At least I got someone else to change their pick with me, lol.

Zep

Banned
So im watching this sydney/brisbane game...

And I think I know what I'm watching! You score six points by sending the ball through the posts. Easy enough. Confused about where some of these single point scores are coming from though.

edit: This Carlton-Melbourne game the ref keeps yelling "play on" anytime they're in the middle of the field...But not inside the 50. Why does he need to keep yelling that?

Shaneus

So im watching this sydney/brisbane game...

And I think I know what I'm watching! You score six points by sending the ball through the posts. Easy enough. Confused about where some of these single point scores are coming from though.

edit: This Carlton-Melbourne game the ref keeps yelling "play on" anytime they're in the middle of the field...But not inside the 50. Why does he need to keep yelling that?
Re: Points. If the ball goes between the outer two sets of posts or it's touched through the middle set of posts, it's a point. If it's kicked through the middle (doesn't have to be on the full, just not touched) it's a goal.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member

When a player takes a mark (catches the ball from a kick without it having touched the ground or touched by another player) the point where they caught the ball is now known as "the mark". No one can now touch that player until the umpire calls "play on". The "play on" call occurs when the player takes too long to kick and, if you imagine a straight line between the mark and the player with the ball, this player goes too far off or over the line then it's considered "play on".
It just signals to others that there has been a change in play.

It does happen in the 50 but it happens a lot in mid because teams want to try and keep the game moving quickly or they take too long finding a free player where in the 50 they're more likely to settle for goal.

That's the best I know how to explain it.

Pretty damn happy with how the boys went against the Bombers yesterday. And the fact we managed to scrape in a couple of goals in the 4th is a big improvement. If we can play that well next week we might be a chance against the Crows!

fisheyes

Glad the Cats lifted to get Enright and Johnson a win. Seeing Boris slot a goal from the boundary made the night even better.

What a waste of a pick backing Gold Coast was. They actually won a lot of the stats but didn't really trouble the scoreboard at all so not sure what happened.
At least I got someone else to change their pick with me, lol.

And the lesson is - never listen to me.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Some interesting games on this week.

A big game on tonight. I'm pretty confident Geelong will get the win but looking closely there is a lot of the game that's in favor of Essendon.

Shaneus

I just can't get over how Geelong has managed to overcome the post-Premiership slump that most teams encounter... perhaps not immediately the year after, but maybe two or three. The vast majority of the big-name players have gone from 2007 but they're still looking REALLY solid. Not outstanding, but sturdy.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday May 10th
Geelong vs. Essendon @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday May 11th
Port Adelaide vs. Richmond @ AAMI Stadium
Brisbane vs. West Coast @ The Gabba
Western Bulldogs vs. North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium
Hawthorn vs. Sydney @ The MCG
Fremantle vs. Collingwood @ Patersons Stadium

Sunday May 12th
Greater Western Sydney vs. Adelaide @ Skoda Stadium
Melbourne vs. Gold Coast @ The MCG

Monday May 13th
St Kilda vs. Carlton @ Etihad Stadium

Round 7 Teams

jambo

My tips for this weekend:

Essendon (7 points)

Port Adelaide
West Coast
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
Fremantle

Adelaide
Gold Coast

Carlton

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't get over how Geelong has managed to overcome the post-Premiership slump that most teams encounter... perhaps not immediately the year after, but maybe two or three. The vast majority of the big-name players have gone from 2007 but they're still looking REALLY solid. Not outstanding, but sturdy.

Yeah, it's been outstanding.
Our kids look really promising. If you follow the VFL side you could almost pick any name out of the side and they look like they've got a bit of upside to them.
There are at least 8 kids that we've barely seen that I'm very excited for if they can continue to develop.
Then when you factor in all the players in their early 20s we have in the side now who will in 4-5 years be the leaders of Geelong there's a lot to be excited for.

Shaneus

Fuuuuuck yes. Geelong's just played so much better. Can see now that string of points from the Bombers in Q3 was just pressure starting to break them. What was it... one goal 8?

WE ARE GEELONG. UNDEFEATED!

Shaneus

Fuck. I tipped Port because a Richmond supporter at work reminded me of the two guys that were out from their match against Geelong.

Happy for Richmond, but argh, that blows.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Impressive. Thomas Lynch has 9 goals by the end of the third quarter for Adelaide.
Edit: Missed his 10th just after the siren. 6 that quarter.

Are GWS games always so empty? Thought I was watching SANFL by mistake.

I think so. I'm not watching nor have I seen many of their games but I have heard a few concerns about GWS's attendance numbers.

Edit: Sounds like I can write off the Melbourne game already... Lazy football, they need to pull their finger out.

Galdun

Neo Member
Impressive. Thomas Lynch has 9 goals by the end of the third quarter for Adelaide.
Edit: Missed his 10th just after the siren. 6 that quarter.

I think so. I'm not watching nor have I seen many of their games but I have heard a few concerns about GWS's attendance numbers.

Edit: Sounds like I can write off the Melbourne game already... Lazy football, they need to pull their finger out.

Who would have thought Tom Lynch would join Modra in kicking 10+ goals in a game for the crows. Great effort from him though.

Re: Melbourne

jambo

Picked this up today for $10 at JB

2 and a half hours of 90s footy goodness! This is the decade where I started watching footy so I'm looking forward to a nice nostalgia session when all the names and faces come rushing back.

Ydahs

What a game. We nearly blew it, but it was definitely a joy to watch :D

I think Nick Riewoldt is possibly in career best form, or close to it. At 30 years of age he is still running every defender into the ground and his marking every ball that comes his way. Everyone in the stand was in awe at this domination.

Also, Jack Steven last night showed that he is the future of our midfield. Watching him in person, he is an absolute work horse who just doesn't stop running. Had a career best 39 touches and was involved in a lot of crucial plays.

And McEvoy. Damn, he was good. He intercepted like half a dozen entries in the Blues forward line. Only concern is that he slows down late in games, but he's only 23 years old. His tank still has a long way to develop.

Top Bottom