• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem |OT| Ain'ts Row

Bombless

Care to explain?

The devs have done hour long character specific streams on Twitch (and available on Youtube) where they explain how they designed that character, present tons of art, gameplay and have the voice actor along for interview etc. You can really feel the love they put in the game. There's also highlights of those vids available and it's hilarious (like Daisy's!)

I'm keeping my eye on this...it looks interesting but I don't think I want to wait full price on it. Also I have a hunch this will be one of those games that's better once a few patches and DLC are out. But we'll see - looking forward to seeing what the reviews say.

OQd8vlC.png

I can't wait to get my copy tomorrow. I don't understand the antipathy/hostility towards this game. It looks like good, silly fun to me.

Scoops312

Banned
The devs have done hour long character specific streams on Twitch (and available on Youtube) where they explain how they designed that character, present tons of art, gameplay and have the voice actor along for interview etc. You can really feel the love they put in the game. There's also highlights of those vids available and it's hilarious (like Daisy's!)

Ah, thanks. I'm really enjoying the amount of diversity between them all. Especially Gremlin who has a real girly girl type of personality that you don't really see with a lot of black female characters.

It is similarly structured to Saint's Row 4 in that you have a base where you can buy upgrades and do your main mission or side missions where you acquire new characters.
What's the main sort of thing that you do?

I mean, it's like a standard sort of SR/GTA open world where you essentially just do missions?

Or the whole 'take back Seoul from LEGION' is there any element similar to, say, Ghost Recon Wildlands? Do you raid bases to take over control/give control of areas back to the city? Any sort of territory/base/control etc system?

I read the OP descriptions and watched the trailers in it too and it still didn't seem that clear to me: beforehand I also had no idea what this game even was (and I don't know much about Saint's Row either) but the story theme (your agency is trying to take back an open world futuristic city from an enemy organization) sounds pretty cool, but I'm wonder if that's mostly window dressing for standard open world mission structure (just with a 'squad' and more ability progression, rather than standard single main character) or if that theme is actually reflected in territory/base/control gameplay?

In this universe,
Julius never created the Saint’s because Kingpin (Pierce), managed to unite all three gangs from the first Saint’s Row, The Vice Kings, The Westside Rollerz, and the Los Carnales
As someone who's been with the SR series since the beginning, I'm finding this extremely cool.

SheHateMe

Watching a stream now, it feels like an 80's cartoon. Remember C.O.P.S.? Kinda like that.

I can see the appeal and I'm on the fence. I still might pick it up just to tool around for a while.

Besides, if I do this right, it won't cost me much more than a rental for it, especially with GCU and the $10 gift card.

Slayven

Damn did not know this, i will watch them all

Alienfan

Small nit pick,I wish steam releases were more consistent. Games never unlock midnight local time for me, it's always some arbitrary time like 7am the next day. I wish they surfaced that info a little better

So far, I like what I see. I enjoy the "Michael Bay's GI Joe, The Animated Series" vibe of it so far. There is some jank, but not enough to put off of the game so far (playing on an Xbox One S). I need to sleep, can't get any deeper into the game right now.

I was hoping to get it this week, but given EBGames have the exclusive rights to the Steelbook Edition with Johnny Gat, that would mean I cannot price match and refuse to pay $99.95 (Aust), at least according to them today.

Instead, ordered it from Ozgameshop for $67 (Aust). Just have to wait a week for it to arrive :(

Just played a couple hours of it and I'm enjoying it technical issues aside. They nailed movement and combat is generally pretty fun and varied due to the differences in characters.

As for the characters themselves, the intial 3 were just... meh but I just unlocked a 4th and her characterization was really interesting, its got me curious to see how the other character missions go.

Staf

It comes out in such a bad month for me. Same month as Cities: Skylines, Pillars of Eternity and XCOM2 expansion. Will pick it up later though.

Tired but can't bloody sleep. Really curious about the reviews. I want them to be decent, maybe it's because nothing has come out in awhile and I'm still angry about shadow of war getting pushed put of this month.

Karak

Rated it a Wait for a Deep Sale for ACG
Summary
Performance issues on all systems, boring after a couple hours. Just falls apart. Maybe good for a couple hours at most. Anything after that and its easily replaced by hundreds of better options.

Pros
Agents Design, effects, basic gunplay, sound
Cons
Music, Voice, Writing, Gameplay longevity, MMO stylings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzI4JhqsFt0

I've reviewed the game for the Dutch gamesite Gamer.nl, our reviews also appear on Metacritic. I gave it a 7,5, which is pretty high (or ‘good') for us. We try to use the entire 10-point scale, so a 7,5 really is very much above average.

So yeah, I'm pretty positive about the game. I've translated the conclusion for you as most of you probably don't know Dutch:

”Agents of Mayhem starts slow, but wins you over during the fifteen or so hours of the campaign with non-stop action, good variation in characters and great controls. The light story, lame humour and sloppy finishing touch try to spoil the fun. The fact that despite those negatives the game leaves you with a positive feeling, is a compliment for this chaotic action game."

Positives: Nice action with solid controls, variation in moves from different characters, driving around in the open world feels fantastic.

Negatives: Plot is lighter than a Saturday morning cartoon, childish humor wasn't even funny ten years ago, bugs and sloppy finishing touch.

If you have any questions hit me up, I'll try to answer them.

so gamespot hasn't posted their review yet, but on gamefaqs there is a link to it that 404's here is the description under the link

Obnoxious attitude, poor mission design, and technical bugs make Agents of Mayhem chaotic and repetitive.

Sounds 6.5ish (not that it matters to me, I'm buying tomorrow regardless but thought some people might find it interesting)
That description should be way lower than 6.5 lol

4.5 it got.

Top Bottom