• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD rep: Radeon R9 290X running with Mantle API will "ridicule" Titan in Battlefied 4

DieH@rd

Banned
That automatically means AMD has 8 true cores? Not a tech minded guy but that's a crazy assumption being made right there.

Assumption? Jesus people, look at the ahitecture description of AMD cpus. Stop grasping at straws, and start reading facts a little.
vishera_6.jpg

/hugz my future-proof FX 8350

You don't need Mantle for consoles. Consoles already have cheap draw calls. Mantle exists to give PC's those benefits too.

Personally, I would rather see improvements to OpenGL/DirectX.

sounds about right

the real question is if Titan 2 will exceed even 290x + Mantle

That's without even taking into the possibility of NVidia responding with their own API

this gen will be glorious

GLORIOUS

Raistlin

Actually Mantle is PC's answer to getting closer to the benefit console has. :p

Consoles already have low level access to their hardware.

My question was whether the API is set up similar for consoles. Essentially, would this make it easier for porting between the two?

From some posts here and some quick looks on google ... that seems to be the case. This could have some really big implications. Suddenly consoles and PC's (including Linux and Mac) have a ubiquitous API.

By leveraging the popularity of consoles, AMD may be able to do what OpenGL couldn't. Move people away from DirectX and actually make Linux/SteamOS/Mac gaming competitive. It's only icing on the cake that this is more performant too.

Ty4on

Only if you believe current AMD CPU's are a 'genuine' 8 cores...there's a reason why an '8 core' AMD CPU only gets the same scores as a proper 4 Core Intel CPU in most benchmarks.

They are very close to eight true cores with around 80% scaling. The real problem is they're very weak cores.
51135.png

Note the 8350 effectively runs at 4.2Ghz when running on a single core while the 3770k effectively runs at 3.9Ghz.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm still pretty clueless on what this means for most people. Does Mantle only work with the 290X? Do these benefits only come with specific games? Somebody tell me why I'm supposed to be excited.

Nethaniah

I'm still pretty clueless on what this means for most people. Does Mantle only work with the 290X? Do these benefits only come with specific games? Somebody tell me why I'm supposed to be excited.

All GCN architecture cards meaning even some 7xxx cards and so far it will only work with Frostbite 3.

kharma45

Yeah, AMD has stopped chasing singlecore performance...

Steamroller was rumoured to be a massive bump (one AMD engineer was touting 40% IPC boost to VR Zone) but it seems like we'll only see it in Kaveri now, FX and AM3+ looks dead.

All GCN architecture cards meaning even some 7xxx cards and so far it will only work with Frostbite 3.

Anything from the 7700 series up is GCN iirc.

Right now mantle seems to be only on frostbite 3.0 engine. That means mantle, in the short term, is going to be used on only EA games. Which then means that mantle, in the short term, will be origin exclusive on PC.

Nvidia could easily money hat other developers into not using mantle in their engines/games. They even gave money to crytek to put tons of tessellation related objects in their games to bomb out AMD cards in benchmark reviews.

What will happen next won't be a battle over technology, but a battle over politics between Nvidia and AMD as they lobby and bribe developers to either use Mantle or not.

Mantle is a new API for GCN (read AMD) cards which will allow for 9x cheaper drawcalls. DirectX uses techniques that apparently can improve draw calls by up to 2x. Console draw calls are said by AMD to be about 10x cheaper. Note: DirectX supports instancing, meaning that several trees can be drawn as easily as a single tree. But to have several unique trees will be much more computably expensive than on consoles.

Mantle will have to be implemented in games, but due to it's similarity with next-gen API's should mean easy porting.

jet1911

I'm glad I waited a bit before buying a new card. I'll wait for the benchmarks but I'll probably jump ship to AMD if their new cards are that much better.

Hari Seldon

I have been an AMD guy my past too cards, but at this point it is dangerous to buy an AMD card. Linux driver support is about to become a really fucking important deal, and if AMD cards cannot handle SteamOS well then they are worthless.

jwhit28

Right now mantle seems to be only on frostbite 3.0 engine. That means mantle, in the short term, is going to be used on only EA games. Which then means that mantle, in the short term, will be origin exclusive on PC.

Nvidia could easily money hat other developers into not using mantle in their engines/games. They even gave money to crytek to put tons of tessellation related objects in their games to bomb out AMD cards in benchmark reviews.

What will happen next won't be a battle over technology, but a battle over politics between Nvidia and AMD as they lobby and bribe developers to either use Mantle or not.

The problem there for Nvidia is that developers are also putting in the work for GCN in the new consoles. It would be entertaining to see developers start picking sides if Nvidia cooks up a Mantle competitor.

kharma45

I have been an AMD guy my past too cards, but at this point it is dangerousto buy an AMD card. Linux driver support is about to become a really fucking important deal, and if AMD cards cannot handle SteamOS well then they are worthless.

haha dangerous.

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself.

Naminator

Banned
OOOOOK

So their new card will "ridicule" TITAN, however the only thing that was posted about it is the "Millions of triangles, billions of transistors" and a 7K score in 3D Mark.

They didn't even bother saying something like: Our tests shown that BF4 runs 20% faster on Mantle than it does on Dx11.

Feels like FUD.

RK9039

Mantle sounds great. But I think I'll stick with the Green Ranger for now, I always liked Tommy more than Jason.

Demon Ice

Banned
PC gamers getting more out of their pricy hardware? Awesome.

point of diminishing returns.

400 bucks for a ps4 or 800 bucks for a video card to run games where you need to sit 4 inches from the screen to notice a difference.

Durrherp derp

Educate yourselves, console kiddies.

Or keep telling yourselves that paying $400 - $500 for a closed box with paid online gaming and $60 games that struggle to hit 30 - 60 FPS at various resolutions that are all 1080p or lower is a "good deal."

patientx

On the other side of the graphics card universe :

NVIDIA Senior Vice President of Content and Technology Tony Tamasi mentioned in an interview that game consoles leapfrogging PC graphic capabilities are definitely a thing of the past. Tamasi said Microsoft and Sony simply can't afford this: Talking about the current state of graphics and the shift in R&D budgets, device physics and power, since the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out, the Nvidia SVP said; “NVIDIA spends 1.5 billion US dollars per year on research and development in graphics, every year, and in the course of a console’s lifecycle we’ll spend over 10 billion dollars into graphics research. Sony and Microsoft simply can’t afford to spend that kind of money.”

Source : Guru3d

oxidax

Soo im pretty excited about this Mantle thing. I might just sell my 7950 and get two 7970's and stay there for about 2 years.

I own a FX 8350 but im looking at the i7 3770k. I wish they did something with the FX series.

Durrherp derp

Or keep telling yourselves that paying $400 - $500 for a closed box with paid online gaming and $60 games that struggle to hit 30 - 60 FPS at various resolutions that are all 1080p or lower is a "good deal."

that image is insulting.

I hope no one buys that comp thinking they will be able to run next gen multiplates as good as the consoles.

dionysus

Yaldog
I have been an AMD guy my past too cards, but at this point it is dangerous to buy an AMD card. Linux driver support is about to become a really fucking important deal, and if AMD cards cannot handle SteamOS well then they are worthless.

Are you joking? Not a single PC game is going to lead on Linux or be Linux exclusive for at least the next decade.

But yea, if you are building a steambox you should go with Nvidia as they are the least worse.

Only if you believe current AMD CPU's are a 'genuine' 8 cores...there's a reason why an '8 core' AMD CPU only gets the same scores as a proper 4 Core Intel CPU in most benchmarks.

If you are talking about Piledriver you are correct. However, the 8 core Jaguar in next gen consoles is a true 8 core CPU, as each core has its own FPU.

Durrherp derp

Every time I read PC/Console Fanboy Warrior shit I just hope to god the poster isn't above 16 years of age. Nothing displays maturity like arguing over who's toy is better.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I hope no one buys that comp thinking they will be able to run next gen multiplates as good as the consoles.

You speak as if "as good as the consoles" is set in stone right now. We won't know that until the consoles are on sale.

But a reasonably priced PC such as the one quoted, in terms of absolute functionality, is by far a better investment than a console.

Top Bottom