• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

Aaron

I don't know why so many need it spelled out for them from the very beginning.
I feel the opposite. I don't know why they need to tease so much at the very beginning. There's so many idea fragments in the first episode that it became noise to me after a while. It would have been much better for me if they opened with the Vikings as is, but didn't show the narrator or that billion arrow thing that made no sense. Then go to Shadow, and stick closer to him than being cute with all the references they can fit in on the fringes.

I'm not saying they can't tease and can't have mysteries, but there's so much unexplained that it overwhelms the story for me, and I end up just not caring about the story as a result.

Really enjoyed the first episode. Also, it looks phenomenal in 4k on the Amazon app. It's a showcase piece for 4k. Too bad the Amazon app tends to be shit for buffering.

Turin

Banned
That was pretty cool. Definitely a Bryan Fuller show. lol

Admittedly, this didn't immerse me the same way Hannibal's first episode did but few shows are going to do that. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this crazy story plays out.

faer0n

Really enjoyed the first episode. Also, it looks phenomenal in 4k on the Amazon app. It's a showcase piece for 4k. Too bad the Amazon app tends to be shit for buffering.
1080p and 4k are two separate files. And i only realized there was a 4k Version after i finished the Episode. And the 4k Version ist only in german which kinda sucks

hydruxo

I feel the opposite. I don't know why they need to tease so much at the very beginning. There's so many idea fragments in the first episode that it became noise to me after a while. It would have been much better for me if they opened with the Vikings as is, but didn't show the narrator or that billion arrow thing that made no sense. Then go to Shadow, and stick closer to him than being cute with all the references they can fit in on the fringes.

I'm not saying they can't tease and can't have mysteries, but there's so much unexplained that it overwhelms the story for me, and I end up just not caring about the story as a result.

The reason they showed the narrator will make more sense in a few more episodes
when they actually introduce that character.
Book spoiler --->
It's Mr. Ibis, who is the Egyptian god Thoth.

My take on the guy getting riddled with arrows is that they meant for that scene to be over the top and fantastical, because it's essentially a folktale. Over time it probably was told in different ways and the arrow thing + arm flying through air, etc. are just exaggerations that gradually stuck with the story as it was told by people.

Zalasta

Was able to catch the first episode due to the free OnDemand marathon. It was just ok. To me the gratuitous gore and violence was stylish and fitting in Hannibal, but in American Gods it felt unnecessary and way over the top. I'm glad I saw it, at least I won't feel left out not having a subscription to Starz now.

Aaron

The reason they showed the narrator will make more sense in a few more episodes
when they actually introduce that character.
Book spoiler --->
It's Mr. Ibis, who is the Egyptian god Thoth.
Then show him then. Keep the voice in the first episode so that when he's actually shown and speaks the viewer can make the connection. As is, you're giving the viewer way too much to keep track of if he actually cares about what's going on and doesn't know the books.

Really loved the first episode, except perhaps the cartoon level violence.

I read the book ages ago and remember the characters and the whole setup, but virtually none of the plot. Looking forward to remembering.

It does have the rights but Amazon Original implies that it was developed by Amazon.
Not necessarily. Netflix also brands shows like Better Call Saul as Netflix originals in certain territories, so I reckon Amazon might do the same. It's based on distribution, not production.

hydruxo

Then show him then. Keep the voice in the first episode so that when he's actually shown and speaks the viewer can make the connection. As is, you're giving the viewer way too much to keep track of if he actually cares about what's going on and doesn't know the books.

If you only do the voice, there aren't going to be many people who recognize him several episodes later solely by that. It wasn't exactly a distinct voice either. All I'm saying is, just give it some time, and it'll make sense why they showed the narrator. He's not just a random dude telling you a story about vikings.

I remember that when I read the book I already knew what to expect, as I read The Sandman from the same author. That, and adding the title is 'American Gods' gave me a good idea of what was about.

I suppose not everyone will have that base and be pretty damn confused.

jrush64

Banned
tenor.gif

The date in the hotel..... what... the.... hell....

besada

Banned

They did show him. He's the black gentleman writing in the book at the very beginning. Honestly, if you found the first show too complicated, the series probably isn't for you, since it doesn't get any less complicated as we go. Lots of characters, with lots of backstory, and given they handled the first issue almost identically to the source material, it will likely be handed out in little bits. If that sort of storytelling isn't your thing, you're probably not going to enjoy the show.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not even sure why people are confused. I haven't read the book and I understand almost completely everything that happened. As long as you know the show is about gods going in then it's really not confusing. You can almost immediately figure out who Mr. Wednesday is from the lightning and the eye stuff at the beginning. Like come on, people here watch Marvel shit. The only things I don't get is the buffalo stuff and the very end with who/what cut Shadow's rope.

I'm not even sure why people are confused. I haven't read the book and I understand almost completely everything that happened. As long as you know the show is about gods going in then it's really not confusing. You can almost immediately figure out who Mr. Wednesday is from the lightning and the eye stuff at the beginning. The only things I don't get is the buffalo stuff and the very end with who/what cut Shadow's rope.
Even without the lightning and eye comment, Mr Wednesday is the biggest clue of all

Even without the lightning and eye comment, Mr Wednesday is the biggest clue of all

Yup.

"Today is MY day."

Takes ten seconds to Wikipedia the etymology of Wednesday. The show literally hides nothing as of yet.

Doesn't even register a bump on the Shyamalan scale vs the twists that come later in the story.

Pretty much. Do they drag out the reveal? That could get annoying.
Yes and no. Everything relating to who the characters are is really in your face if you know anything about ancient mythologies. They don't really hide a lot. However, in the books, Shadow doesn't actually care and doesn't bother asking a lot of questions so a lot of it doesn't become explicit for a while. Shadow isn't so much a layman for the reader to learn about the world with, so much as he's a roller-coaster carriage that the reader is riding.

Alpende

Not having read the books, all I can say is what the fuck was that. I have no idea what happened but I am very intrigued. I love Fuller's style, beautiful.

Siegcram

I want to know what shows people who are confused by this narrative usually watch.

This is probably as straight forward as something based on mythology can be.

Hmm, yeah okay.

Well this show is definitely interesting and it makes me want to check out the books. I'm a sucker for crossovers of any kind. I'm also enjoying the cast selected for this. Guess I've got a new show, now.

Just one book, and it's a quick read.

There's another book that might or might not be a sequel, it's also good if I remember correctly.

Lee

975K viewers for the premiere, which is p. good!

That's good to hear. I just did the trial but I'll be keeping my Starz subscription for the next two months for this show alone.

I imagine each episode, or at least a few, will open in a similar way to this one, with Ibis/the narrator telling a different story about gods coming to America. There are at least 8 such vignettes in the book, I believe.

I imagine each episode, or at least a few, will open in a similar way to this one, with Ibis/the narrator telling a different story about gods coming to America. There are at least 8 such vignettes in the book, I believe.
Loved those bits in the book, myself.

Aaron

They did show him. He's the black gentleman writing in the book at the very beginning. Honestly, if you found the first show too complicated, the series probably isn't for you, since it doesn't get any less complicated as we go. Lots of characters, with lots of backstory, and given they handled the first issue almost identically to the source material, it will likely be handed out in little bits. If that sort of storytelling isn't your thing, you're probably not going to enjoy the show.
I know they showed him. I'm saying they shouldn't have because it's a meaningless detail in that moment for a show that is chock full of them. I wanted a little substance in the first episode to give me a reason to keep watching. Instead, it was mostly cryptic quips and coin tricks.

I know they showed him. I'm saying they shouldn't have because it's a meaningless detail in that moment for a show that is chock full of them. I wanted a little substance in the first episode to give me a reason to keep watching. Instead, it was mostly cryptic quips and coin tricks.
A lot of fiction - film, TV, books, etc. - show you stuff that seems "meaningless" early on but isn't

The meaning coming later doesn't make the inclusion now meaningless

Are you really hung-up on what amounted to like 10 seconds? I for one want to know who he is, so showing him to me piques my interest.

Lee

A lot of fiction - film, TV, books, etc. - show you stuff that seems "meaningless" early on but isn't

The meaning coming later doesn't make the inclusion now meaningless

To be fair, there are a lot of shows that never deliver on all the threads they scatter about. I didn't feel like there was too much going in the first episode regardless, but maybe as a book reader I'm biased.

To be fair, there are a lot of shows that never deliver on all the threads they scatter about. I didn't feel like there was too much going in the first episode regardless, but maybe as a book reader I'm biased.
Which is why saying what is or isn't meaningless after a single episode is kind of ridiculous. It's like seeing the first 15 minutes of a movie and then saying the weird shot in the opening was out of place and didn't make sense. You need hindsight to say it was meaningless.

Kadayi

Banned
Is the intent to be a one (maybe two) season and done series? Leading up to the end of the book, or is the intention to build on the mythology with more stories beyond?

hydruxo

Is the intent to be a one (maybe two) season and done series? Leading up to the end of the book, or is the intention to build on the mythology with more stories beyond?

Bryan Fuller / Neil Gaiman said ideally they'd like to do up to 5 seasons. First season is only the first third of the book, and they are expanding a lot of characters who aren't seen much in the book.

I feel like there are so many things I missed on the first viewing. I'm gooing to rewatch tonight. What did you all think of the [book spoiler]
noose and the World Tree? I wonder if they will change the way Shadow holds vigil for Wednesday.

chiba

I feel like there are so many things I missed on the first viewing. I'm gooing to rewatch tonight. What did you all think of the [book spoiler]
noose and the World Tree? I wonder if they will change the way Shadow holds vigil for Wednesday.
Is that a book spoiler? Cause you need to label that shit.

Viewt

Yeah, it's been a while since I read the book, but
Shadow was essentially crucified to the tree, right? Or, rather, impaled and mounted on the tree? All of these hanging/noose references could mean they're going to switch it up. Then again, this episode itself ended in a hanging, so maybe that's all they were referring to.

Matt

Netflix does the same thing.

Several shows branded as "Netflix Original" in Canada that aren't actually produced by Netflix.
Well that's the thing, Netflix get shows from producers like any other network. The "Originals" label was always about distribution.

Shredderi

Subscribed on Prime Video and checked this out. Very interesting so far.

This was pretty much my reaction to the hotel date scene:

giphy.gif

Top Bottom