• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

jph139

Man, that was great. I was giddy seeing some of those scenes adapted... hesitant going in but SO glad I subscribed to Starz for the next month or two.

Ian McShane was not at all what I pictured for Wednesday, but damn, he nails it. Sleeping on the plane. Hanging out in the bar. Driving to Eagle Point. He nailed it, and I can't wait to see him go from here.

Ricky Whittle is... not quite the Shadow from the book. He's harder - more specifically a criminal. Probably a bit more self-confident. I liked the "one bad choice" Shadow that the novel uses, but the criminal background here is interesting. If they stick with the same childhood as in the book, it'll make for an interesting contrast. Not 100% sold on him yet, but we'll see.

Laurie was WAY better than I expected. Her being a straight bitch at the funeral was, no exaggeration, perfect - the tone, the look, everything about her was straight off the page. The expansion at the grave later gave her some more depth and I can't complain about it, the actress did a great job.

Bitches in airports was better than I could have dreamed.

The god-stuff is a BIT over the top for me, I think, but it makes for a good contrast to the more mundane prison life. And visually, of course, it's a joy to watch. The noose motif fits the book SO well and the added dimension of it, the lynching parallels... genius.

Man. Can't wait to see where they go from here.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the vagina eating scene was way too tame tbh. After reading all the hype about it, I expected giant cgi labia that venus flytrapped-people or something. Instead, we got a vacuum vagina, which wasn't nearly as dynamic, visually speaking.

torontoml

Just sent the book to my Kindle, I was intrigued by the first episode but was honestly a little lost character wise. From the sounds of it, you guys that have read the book loved the first episode so here I go.

Dunlop

Just sent the book to my Kindle, I was intrigued by the first episode but was honestly a little lost character wise. From the sounds of it, you guys that have read the book loved the first episode so here I go.

I feel like this is a show you need to have read the material beforehand.

As I have not, I had no idea what was going on and it killed my interest.

Monocle

Yeah reading as much of the book as I have helped a ton.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So my 60 year old desi (Pakistani) mom was interested in this show

She watched all seasons of Spartacus religiously, so the commercials splashed on Starz piqued her interests

Desi-GAF will understand this more, but my moms went to me "All the HARAMI's from all the different movies and shows she's watched over the course of the her life are in this"
That's big praise coming from her lol

So I DVR'ed it, says d to watch together, cause she'll need help fully understanding the show even though I told her the basic synopsis
I know of American Gods, but not like full detail or read the book (which now I might have to change lol)
So me a 36 year old son sitting with his 60 year old Pakistani mom watching "THAT SCENE" (vore), Yeah... I wasn't ready for that!
She laughed mad hard though, like yeah this shit is lit, I'm on board, let's go!

Good job Starz and Fuller, got a 60 Year old Pakistani mom watching your show with her son as date night lol

Tovarisc

One of those shows that take several episodes to get going and find direction for us who haven't read books / comics. Makes one appreciate Expanse more, books adapted into TV series and instantly grabs you.

Pilot of this series felt... loose and threw a lot disconnected shit at you. So without having that beforehand knowledge from source material you are left with messy set of scenes where only few connect. Will give it few more episodes.

I mean, strip away the visuals and a few standalone moments and it really wasn't much different from Harry Potter

Regular person find themselves introduced to and pulled into a world beyond the one they knew

Strip away the gore and standalone moments and this is what happened in the pilot:

An ex-con gets released early because his wife died. During his trip to her funeral, he meets a conman who seems to know more than he's letting on and ends up working for him.

torontoml

I mean, strip away the visuals and a few standalone moments and it really wasn't much different from Harry Potter

Regular person find themselves introduced to and pulled into a world beyond the one they knew

Strip away the gore and standalone moments and this is what happened in the pilot:

An ex-con gets released early because his wife died. During his trip to her funeral, he meets a conman who seems to know more than he's letting on and ends up working for him.
Yeah, it just seems like a show where the audience should know more than the main character and I kinda don't.

Maybe I'll wait for the second episode before I read it, but like I said the people who have read it first really enjoyed the first episode.

hydruxo

I've seen a lot of people mention that the episode felt kind of scattered, but just to clarify a bit, that's basically how the book is too. They have these "Somewhere In America" and "Coming To America" vignette chapters in between from the main story chapters. So it might feel out of place at first, but it's part of the narrative to flesh out the mythology and the gods. They'll all tie in eventually and it'll make sense, just give it some time.

watched it again tonight. made a lot more sense having seen it last night. story was a lot more clear when not getting as caught up in the visuals

gonna be a great show

about shadow moon in prison
is that dude in the prison someone important?

Yeah, it just seems like a show where the audience should know more than the main character and I kinda don't.

Maybe I'll wait for the second episode before I read it, but like I said the people who have read it first really enjoyed the first episode.

watch it again. the show actually tells far more than I remember on my first viewing.

hydruxo

Mad Sweeney was perfect, Pablo Schreiber nailed that bar scene

tumblr_op8nzzaXms1vfg7u3o2_540.gif

Coreda

Curious why you use a link shorter for the videos. Is it to avoid the embedded Youtube videos on mobile breaking the layout for those who've enabled it? I usually browse on the desktop but have a userscript that adds a pop-out for YT links but it obviously doesn't trigger when using redirected links.

Apt101

I rewatched the first episode and damn if this lead actor isn't going to be everywhere after this. He's one of those actors who seems to come out of nowhere and makes you think "why the hell aren't they a huge star already?". I also picked up on some of the small dialog and imagery fro the book that I missed.
Also love this Loki. The little guy hanging onto Thor's belt, making him laugh, his friend but not his friend.
So much conveyed in so little time for us book readers.

GtwoK

I rewatched the first episode and damn if this lead actor isn't going to be everywhere after this. He's one of those actors who seems to come out of nowhere and makes you think "why the hell aren't they a huge star already?". I also picked up on some of the small dialog and imagery fro the book that I missed.
Also love this Loki. The little guy hanging onto Thor's belt, making him laugh, his friend but not his friend.

And considering this thread is for non book readers as well, maybe you'd like to spoiler tag some of that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I rewatched the first episode and damn if this lead actor isn't going to be everywhere after this. He's one of those actors who seems to come out of nowhere and makes you think "why the hell aren't they a huge star already?".

Oh definitely. Ricky Whittle is going to have a nice career going forward. Almost everyone that watches The 100 loved him on that show. He also seems like a genuinely nice guy interacting with fans. Plus he's really good looking, I could see this being what takes him to the next level.

Fuller has a very good eye for talent. He picks out these actors that Hollywood hasn't given enough credit to. He always gets these actors I NEVER would've thought of and then they're just breathtaking in the roles, even in smaller appearances. The casting in this show is just off the charts.

TheOddOne

Curious why you use a link shorter for the videos. Is it to avoid the embedded Youtube videos on mobile breaking the layout for those who've enabled it? I usually browse on the desktop but have a userscript that adds a pop-out for YT links but it obviously doesn't trigger when using redirected links.
Yeah, that is exactly why. Another Gaffer pointed out to me how weird/disjointed the OT's looked on mobile and advices me to use some kind of shorturl service to get around it.

Seeing comments (here and elsewhere) about it being confusing really drives home why shows like Hannibal and such just don't do as well as they deserve. Not everything needs to be explained to you... especially not in the first episode.

Seeing comments (here and elsewhere) about it being confusing really drives home why shows like Hannibal and such just don't do as well as they deserve. Not everything needs to be explained to you... especially not in the first episode.

On the one hand I completely agree with you, on the other hand there are 400+ scripted shows made a year so it's the show's loss not the viewer's if they bail after one episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

What's important for me is that things eventually do make sense and they're not just throwing shit at the wall to be enigmatic for the sake of it *cough*Lost*cough*. The people I watched it with were confused, but I just told them it would make sense. So at least since this does have a source material, you can tell people who are lost that this isn't just Fuller losing his mind on film.

That's why this could only really work on cable tv. Shits gonna be weird for awhile, you just gotta strap in and BELIEVE

As someone with no book knowledge the show makes much more sense on a rewatch. I think it will be fine. Its confusing because you're put in the place of shadow moon.

I have no complaints on the confusion

How the hell did Lost survive?

Probably the drama thanks to its significantly larger main cast.

On the one hand I completely agree with you, on the other hand there are 400+ scripted shows made a year so it's the show's loss not the viewer's if they bail after one episode.

Not really issuing blame to anyone. It's just more lamenting that the reason I enjoy these shows is also what causes people to drop them.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Probably the drama thanks to its significantly larger main cast.

Not really issuing blame to anyone. It's just more lamenting that the reason I enjoy these shows is also what causes people to drop them.

I fucking looooove weird shows but you need a hook to get people, well, hooked. Episode one really didn't have one.

This isn't really true.

How do you think the book worked? It was the same, lol. You were lost for the first chapters in the book.
Same deal here.

hell, in general terms it's usually the other way around: tv shows usually dumb down things to make them easy to understand and books require more patience, they can be more confusing, etc.

gamma

Why is this marketed as an Amazon Original outside the US when it is a Starz show? I thought it's an Amazon show and the whole season was gonna drop. Instead it's this weekly bs

feelsbadman.jpg

CloudWolf

I liked it, it was cool seeing these moment from the book come to life, I especially loved how Technical Boy was portrayed.

One thing I really didn't like though was how, much like Hannibal's later seasons, the entire episode was filled with those Brian Fuller mannerisms like the slo-mo shots of CGI blood flying around and that weird jazzy music being in the background of every other scene. I hated it in Hannibal and I hate it here.

Anyway, the characters were great though.

Crap did I forget to? Thank you mod who helped me out if I did :/ my bust cuz

Still, people could think you are spoiler-tagging yesterday's episode.
I feel bad for people who have not read the book, this thread is gonna be like walking on eggshells. Haven't we learned some things and made some rules in the GoT threads?

hey sort of off topic but I'm curious about the highlighted part of your post. I actually love that I can see and play the Youtube videos straight from the thread without going to a new window. Are you saying your script allows that or is it something else I'm not understanding?

Pixieking

Banned
This isn't really true.

How do you think the book worked? It was the same, lol. You were lost for the first chapters in the book.
Same deal here.

hell, in general terms it's usually the other way around: tv shows usually dumb down things to make them easy to understand and books require more patience, they can be more confusing, etc.

The first episode was a bit odd, though, in terms of pacing and plot. I watched it with my wife, and I'm not sure if it's because she hadn't read the book or a synopsis, but she wasn't taken with it, and kept on asking questions where my only response was "It'll be revealed later". Like, most serious TV shows based on books are the same (The Expanse, say), and she isn't usually like this with them, but either it didn't get her hooked, or she was just expecting "more".

I think maybe reading the book isn't necessary for more background on events, but it would give you more patience for such a slow-moving story.

Klocker

I did not read the book and I enjoyed the episode quite a bit as did my girlfriend who did not read it.

I don't understand why it just can't be enough that there are some cool things happening and if you pay attention over time, you can string them all together and it becomes a more rich story.

I don't know why so many need it spelled out for them from the very beginning.

I don't understand what value that has or how exciting that can possibly be.

The first episode was a bit odd, though, in terms of pacing and plot. I watched it with my wife, and I'm not sure if it's because she hadn't read the book or a synopsis, but she wasn't taken with it, and kept on asking questions where my only response was "It'll be revealed later". Like, most serious TV shows based on books are the same (The Expanse, say), and she isn't usually like this with them, but either it didn't get her hooked, or she was just expecting "more".

I think maybe reading the book isn't necessary for more background on events, but it would give you more patience for such a slow-moving story.

It's less straight forward than The Expanse.

I think it maybe because it has an 'out there' vibe. But it's supposed to be a bit weird and obscure and eerie and 'magical realism'-style. But that style has never been particularly mainstream, it isn't strange if some people bounce it off.

edit: It's true the firs episode wasn't loaded with events, it had some contemplative parts. But... a 'warning' here: I think that it's going to be an integral part of the series. They said the first season will adapt 1/3 of the book? The book isn't that long, so I think this is going to be a slow series.

sammex

It's funny watching him now cos he spent a good while (like over 200 episodes) acting on a British soap aimed at young adults that aired after the simpsons, before heading across to the US to do The 100. I used to come home from school and watch it as I was eating dinner.

Here he is getting shot by his sister in law on his wedding night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ga6Gnucf9E

Top Bottom