• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

WillyFive

Typical Fuller dialogue and presentation, stilted, overproduced, in your face, somehow feeling real and dreamlike at the same time. Love it. Will be tuning in each week anxious and brimming with anticipation in front of the TV. Please let it keep it's quality, and not blow it's load prematurely like Hannibal did.

Question: To those who've read the book. Is the show faithful enough? Would it be a bad idea to read the book in the week before the next episode?

Sidenotes:

- I've never seen Shadow Moon's actor but I already like him, more so than I did based on the promotional materials.
- Emily Browning <3
- Anyone else notice how Technoboy(?)'s scene was edited like a YouTuber's video? The odd cuts most of all.
- NICKY FUCKING SOBOTKA
- Shadow Moon is the kinda name I'd use for a MU Online character when I was 15.
- I love Ian McShane. Truly.
- SOBOTKA!

The first episode stuck very close to the book, albeit every scene was made a lot shorter.

Sir Doom

How long is this show going to be because there's a lot of scenes here that happened later. Everything seemed condensed

Tv wise it's great. For non-book readers to show what it's about.

Kadayi

Banned

It's been a while since I read the book, so I can't recall if that's how it played out, and yeah it would have been out of place for sure, but fuck Gaiman and his 'these go up to 11' histrionics 'stand in front of a bus' bit. Turn the volume down Neil, it's a TV show, no ones killing themselves over it, least of all you, so why pretend otherwise.

As for the episode, visually impressive as one would expect from a Fuller production, but I kind of feel that without some passing familiarity with the book before watching it would have been hard to really get a handle on what was going on. The meeting on the plane felt absurdly rushed and didn't really capitalise on McShane's strength which is namely doing awesomely paced exchanges. I'd rather they spent more time there to established the characters where and when it mattered versus the languid dream sequences.

Aaron

At this point you're meant to be like Shadow who has no fucking clue what's going on. In the book there's eventually a large info dump and I'd imagine some of the context people are wanting will be around episode 3 or 4.
The problem is I also feel like Shadow where the teasing mysteries reach a threshold point of me not giving a fuck what's going on. Just get on with it. The coin trick stuff was really tedious for me especially. Felt like book clever that doesn't translate well to the screen.

The problem is I also feel like Shadow where the teasing mysteries reach a threshold point of me not giving a fuck what's going on. Just get on with it. The coin trick stuff was really tedious for me especially. Felt like book clever that doesn't translate well to the screen.

I don't think there was anything "mysterious" that Shadow sees till the end of the episode?

1) He's been having weird dreams

2) Meets another con-man who wants him to be his muscle.

3) He sees another con-man pull off an impressive trick in an area he considers himself an expert.

The first truly weird thing he encounters is that technological face hugger and subsequent conversation/fight.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Loved it. It took me fucking ages to finish the book, and I'm glad I'm getting to watch all this play on-screen, though it looks and feels different. I always imagined someone like McShane as Wednesday though.

I'm wondering if THAT scene is included in the show? I'll let some people guess.

scarlet

Just finished 2 chapters of the book (1st episode). So far I like the book better, particularly the way Wednesday introducing himself to Shadow.

The only difference I like so far is the Bilquis scene.

I don't think you have the patience for this.

Like, this was literally the first episode of a planned multi-season story.

Jag

I don't think you have the patience for this.

Like, this was literally the first episode of a planned multi-season story.

My son and I read the book and loved the episode. My wife didn't and she was confused and bored by it. I think it does help when you have a better understanding of the characters, who they are and the significance of what they are saying.

Oh yeah, that scene was interesting watching it with the family

hydruxo

I will never understand people expecting shows to spell out everything for you immediately. You have to put in the time with the show and let things take their course. The book takes a while to uncover things too. Just enjoy the ride and it'll answer most of your questions.

Well that was fucking incredible.

The Bilquis scene was just.... I can't believe they did it. And not only did they do, they did it well too. You don't even realise what's happening until dude is like 75% already up in there.

Zoe

That was a HOLY SHIT is that Him ? Moment when I went to Google after I finished the episode. What a shit stache does to a person xD

I'm really not buying his look... dunno if that's intentional or what.

Moff

that was awesome
and I thought I noticed a few subtle clockwork orange references in Hannibal, the music among others, the one here was obvious

spyder_ur

I'm actually reading the book right now and am about halfway through. I really want to watch this tonight though. Am I safe for this and maybe a few other episodes?

Lee

So glad to see this is well received here. I loved it. True to the book thus far, but I'm honestly pretty excited to see where they deviate and expand in future episodes. The opening Coming to America scene was really well done - perfect first bookend.

I'm actually reading the book right now and am about halfway through. I really want to watch this tonight though. Am I safe for this and maybe a few other episodes?

Should be safe for the whole first season. I think the first season only takes us to
Lakeside

So I haven't started this yet but I was going to watch it with my mom. I'm hearing a lot about this boursque scene or whatever the name is and want to know how awkward that scene is. We watch game of thrones together and that gets very awkward by I can handle that. So how bad is that scene?

Bilquis. Visually it's no more graphic than Game of Thrones. You've got a pair watching that with your folks as is. The subject matter of the scene is arguably more awkward but I say just go for it. It's not very long at all and the show moves on quickly after.

Thewonandonly

So I haven't started this yet but I was going to watch it with my mom. I'm hearing a lot about this boursque scene or whatever the name is and want to know how awkward that scene is. We watch game of thrones together and that gets very awkward by I can handle that. So how bad is that scene?

First episode was great, though not a fan of how they handled the Technical boy part. The character himself was really well done, however the facehugger aspect seemed pointless and didn't really add anything and made it more confusing for no reason. Should have just had him end up in the limo as he did in the books.

RS4-

Lol, it's...up there. So yeah, it'll probably be awkward.

First episode was great, though not a fan of how they handled the Technical boy part. The character himself was really well done, however the facehugger aspect seemed pointless and didn't really add anything and made it more confusing for no reason. Should have just had him end up in the limo as he did in the books.

He was in a limo. The thing was obviously meant to some type of VR headet

So what was the context of the bilquis scene in this episode? It seemed to be pretty random and standalone compared to the rest.

It was pretty wtf hilarious though

He was in a limo. The thing was obviously meant to some type of VR headet
That's what I mean. Random vr headset facehugger made the scene worse than it would have played out normally. There was no real reason for it.
So what was the context of the bilquis scene in this episode? It seemed to be pretty random and standalone compared to the rest.

Throughout the book there are several chapters involving gods and mythical beings that help establish the setting and rules of the world. Bilquis is one of those chapters.

Moff

That's what I mean. Random vr headset facehugger made the scene worse than it would have played out normally. There was no real reason for it.

Throughout the book there are several chapters involving gods and mythical beings that help establish the setting and rules of the world. Bilquis is one of those chapters.

I don't know the books and thought it was really well done, nothing confusing about it at all, just something cool that matches the tech god

hydruxo

I thought the VR thing was cool. it was a good way to introduce Technical Boy IMO.

Lee

She comes into play later, in the book at least. The story gives these vignettes to (a) show us when and how certain Gods first came to America and (b) to show us where those Gods are today.

Meier

I really enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. My wife has become an obsessive fan of Bryan Fuller's due to Hannibal (we watched Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls as well, but Hannibal pushed her over the edge to outright fangirl obsession) so we had some friends over last night and she got mead and all this stuff ready for it.

I have not read the book so I went in blind to the series for the most part (she read it in advance to prepare). Off to a great start.

Thewonandonly

Bilquis. Visually it's no more graphic than Game of Thrones. You've got a pair watching that with your folks as is. The subject matter of the scene is arguably more awkward but I say just go for it. It's not very long at all and the show moves on quickly after.
Let's just say during game of thrones I get on GAF a lot ;) Anyway that's good to know I'm really interested in watching this because damn the premise sounds cool. Is the book like a actually book or a graphic novel?

Lee

Let's just say during game of thrones I get on GAF a lot ;) Anyway that's good to know I'm really interested in watching this because damn the premise sounds cool. Is the book like a actually book or a graphic novel?

Actual book. Pretty short and easy read imo.

I don't know the books and thought it was really well done, nothing confusing about it at all, just something cool that matches the tech god

The story has several dream segments, as you would have seen in the first episode. The scene in the limo is supposed to be obviously real, but the way they did it in the show obfuscates whether the scene is taking place in Shadow's head or not. It's a bit messy compared to how the book handles it.

Yeah, made him seem very powerful

The story has several dream segments, as you would have seen in the first episode. The scene in the limo is supposed to be obviously real, but the way they did it in the show obfuscates whether the scene is taking place in Shadow's head or not. It's a bit messy compared to how the book handles it.
I dont see why one would think it was all in his head. It wasnt portrayed as a dream sequence

Lee

I feel like the end of the scene (and episode) made it clear it was really happening in the physical world. Maybe it stands out so much to you because it was one of the only real changes made between the book and the show so far?

Meier

How long is this show going to be because there's a lot of scenes here that happened later. Everything seemed condensed

Tv wise it's great. For non-book readers to show what it's about.
I believe Fuller has it planned out for 5 seasons.

The meeting on the plane felt absurdly rushed and didn't really capitalise on McShane's strength which is namely doing awesomely paced exchanges. I'd rather they spent more time there to established the characters where and when it mattered versus the languid dream sequences.

Man, I absolutely loved this scene. I love Ian McShane as an actor but this entirely sold me on the character himself -- thought it was perfect.. especially the quick falling asleep bit at the end.

MaximL

Haven't read the book, and only had a base knowledge of the story before hand but still really enjoyed the first episode.

The intrigue is still strong, and they introduce the characters well. I do hope though I get a better grasp at what's going on in a couple episodes. Intrigue can only keep a show supported for a short time, by then I would of hopefully developed a relationship with the characters so I care what happens to them.

It makes more sense than just a random limbo considering what Techno Boy represents and the world of today. It'll make more sense once the character is explained more.

I feel like the end of the scene (and episode) made it clear it was really happening in the physical world. Maybe it stands out so much to you because it was one of the only real changes made between the book and the show so far?

I don't mind changes, but I don't like things that are changed for no reason. I can understand changes such as updating the material to be more relevant, or to make it work better in a visual medium, however, the changes didn't really add anything.

I'd be interested to see why they changed it, because to me it just made it more of a "WTF" show.

Lee

I don't mind changes, but I don't like things that are changed for no reason. I can understand changes such as updating the material to be more relevant, or to make it work better in a visual medium, however, the changes didn't really add anything.

I'd be interested to see why they changed it, because to me it just made it more of a "WTF" show.

I hear you. I think most folks here seem to have liked how they handled it. A limo just pulling up and Shadow hopping in, followed by "the Children" appearing out of thin air in the back seat and beating him up might have made it harder to see Technical Boy for what he was, short of him saying "I'm Techincal Boy" or something like that. The VR headset and the computer graphics fit together pretty well for me. Then you see it knocked off at the end but the children are still kicking the shit out him in the physical world, showing that it's real.

I liked it, but I can see where you're coming from.

I hear you. I think most folks here seem to have liked how they handled it. A limo just pulling up and Shadow hopping in, followed by "the Children" appearing out of thin air in the back seat and beating him up might have made it harder to see Technical Boy for what he was, short of him saying "I'm Techincal Boy" or something like that. The VR headset and the computer graphics fit together pretty well for me. Then you see it knocked off at the end but the children are still kicking the shit out him in the physical world, showing that it's real.

Yeah, I can understand that it helps show what he's supposed to be, however, it's not supposed to be obvious what he's supposed to be. The show kind of hammers you over the head with it. I like the guys design though. Much better than the "Basement Dweller" style in the books.

And... that's a problem??

This is exactly the type of series that is going to mix the real, the dreams and the mythical. You have to roll with it.
Look for example Shadow's dream in the jail. You don't know if he has some kind of power or it's just a dream.

The first episode stuck very close to the book, albeit every scene was made a lot shorter.

You're right, just started reading it an hour ago(I'm right after
Laura's funeral
) and it's very much the same. Think I'll read the corresponding part of the book after every episode.

Technical Boy being able to reach you anywhere through technology and existing within a digital realm makes so much more sense than just pulling up in an actual limo

Meier

Technical Boy being able to reach you anywhere through technology and existing within a digital realm makes so much more sense than just pulling up in an actual limo

Yeah, for sure. This scene played out much better to me than him pulling up in a limo -- it really strengthens the whole technology aspect.. which seems like it would be the intent. i.e. Why they changed it (poster above felt like it was not done for a clear reason but it seems really obvious to me).

The technical boy scene was just (visually) beautiful.
My only complaint is that I wish we had seen more of native Americans vs Vikings.

if you were bothered by such a small thing, that does actually make a bit of sense (VR is Technical Boy's relm; a person wearing VR becomes a lot more vulnerable physically), I'd say you do mind changes lol

Lee

Yeah, for sure. This scene played out much better to me than him pulling up in a limo -- it really strengthens the whole technology aspect.. which seems like it would be the intent. i.e. Why they changed it (poster above felt like it was not done for a clear reason but it seems really obvious to me).

Book spoilers / speculation

Along these lines, the fact that Bilquis was using Tinder should play in pretty well later when she meets Technical Boy. I can see that scene being better in the show than it was in the books based on what we've seen so far.

The technical boy scene was just (visually) beautiful.
My only complaint is that I wish we had seen more of native Americans vs Vikings.

if you were bothered by such a small thing, that does actually make a bit of sense (VR is Technical Boy's relm; a person wearing VR becomes a lot more vulnerable physically), I'd say you do mind changes lol

Well, apparently not, since I approve of how Bilquis isn't a hooker in this, instead she trawls Tinder. I thought that was an example of a positive change where it added to the source material by making it more relevant. Also, I don't mind that in the show the minions lynch Shadow, whereas in the books they drop him off at a hotel. Neither of these changes betray the themes, feel and flow of the original story.

However, a recurring theme of the book is how human the gods are portrayed.
(Even the new gods. The agents of Mr World are shown to have families and none of the new gods are ever shown to be particularly powerful, or even particularly bright.)
There's weird stuff happening around Shadow, but it builds up over time. In the book he just thinks the Technical Boy is some weird guy who makes some threats in a limo. You can't pass the way they did it in the show off in the same way.

Lee

I love the buffalo.

nq1yhgbmhdmkvzxxi0j8.gif

Meier

One thing I thought was kind of cool for the others who've not read the book themselves. My wife said that Technical Boy was a more stereotypical computer nerd from that era (heavy set, acne, glasses, etc.) but that Fuller thought that didn't really work in 2017 so he went with the look they had instead.

Top Bottom