• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

I see that some people have a hard time understanding why Jesus for example doesn't show up and the answer seems kinda easy to me: we don't believe in a Jesus that travels the world and fights other gods. Christianity doesn't have that kind of interactivity, not even between saints and it's also a religion based on peace. It's more of its own thing.
But Odin, Bilqis, Czernobog, Anubis, those are the kind of gods that were more similar to human beings, some of them knew other gods and their behavior has never been really clear. Their religions were more like cults, they never had a single Bible for example. And that's already a huge difference.

hydruxo

I wasn't a huge fan of the book but I'm finding myself enjoying this quite a bit. I'm really liking the extra attention to Laura's woes. I'm drawing a blank but didn't this prison scene happen further in during the book?

Yeah, you might be thinking of when *book spoilers*
Shadow gets kidnapped by Mr. Wood and Mr. Stone (some of the New Gods' spooks), they beat him up and try to get him to talk. Then Laura shows up, kills them, and saves Shadow.
The tree monster thing in the police station is supposed to be
Mr. Wood (Bryan Fuller posted a storyboard concept of it on twitter the night the episode came out), so I don't know if we're still going to get that scene in the show later on or if they just kind of combined it with this one.

I haven't read the book and was very confused by the end of episode 1, but also kinda intrigued.

Should I just press on with the series or should I read something in preparation and for more context?

If you keep watching it'll make more sense to you as you go on. By episode 5 the premise is totally laid out on the table. The book is great though and I'd recommend it if you're interested at all.

I haven't read the book and was very confused by the end of episode 1, but also kinda intrigued.

Should I just press on with the series or should I read something in preparation and for more context?

Just go on with the tv series. Later episodes will clarify what's happening.

Moff

Something else I thought about why the different gods for different regions doesn't make sense

why would they try to convince odin to join their cause with north korea, then? wouldn't a new north korean odin be born there? or would they literally broadcast ian mcshanes face to make sure he gets all the worship power?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lol natives? You serious? You must not understand how vast an amount of time 20 friggin thousand years is, they didn't look like that then.

They also didn't look like these weird ugly CG faux-stopmotion things, so.

Also, don't pretend that they don't get modern day actors to play ancient peoples all the time. It's a thing that absolutely nobody has a problem with.

We're talking about people that were surviving the ice age in asia they had more in common with asiatic eskimos or canadian aborigines than anything else, and somehow I don't exactly see anyone from either of those communities accepting casting calls.

Why? There are Canadian First Nations/Aboriginal actors you know...

What I was trying to say though is that filming prehistoric stuff is somewhat of a "don't" in hollywood, it's expensive as all hell to get right

I just don't see how it would have been more expensive to do than any other period scene in the show.

hydruxo

I'm so glad they managed to get Crispin Glover out from the woodwork because he was born to play Mr. World. He has a great presence about him, while simultaneously being quirky and creepy.

Something else I thought about why the different gods for different regions doesn't make sense

why would they try to convince odin to join their cause with north korea, then? wouldn't a new north korean odin be born there? or would they literally broadcast ian mcshanes face to make sure he gets all the worship power?

How I see it, because the new gods control media and globalization, they can offer him a big global event that will benefit him even if he is in America. It would benefit other Odins too since the name would be in the news of every country that have an Odin. I also don't think all the Odins are completely disconnected. More like shadows of the same object on different surfaces.

And if you end up liking the show, stay the hell away from the book or wikipedia. Just a few key spoilers will completely ruin the story for you.
Yeah particularly since the book early on throws a spoiler right at your fucking face from the start and me as a reader didn't catch it until the reveal and I felt like a God damn idiot

I've been meaning to drop into this thread and say how much I am loving it. Hannibal is one of the all time great TV shows and this is really filling the void. The core creatives being able to work with a bigger budget, no content restrictions, and a really fun story is really showing how great they are at making crazy television.

The last episode, Lemon Scented You, is one of the most enjoyable episodes of TV I've seen in a while. Gillian Anderson just absolutely owning every moment she is on screen. The music. Crispin friggin' Glover back at it being amazing. It's hilarious, beautiful, wonderfully bizarre and I can't get enough of it.

Edit: Desperately awaiting the official OST for the full version of this piece. https://youtu.be/89UeENPyvWw

Shy

Ok people. I've just finished episode 6, and we're completely off book........ And i liked it.

Or rather i should say.
I like the Mad Sweeney, Laura and Salim road trip.
But didn't really like the
Shadow/Wednesday stuff.

Also.
GRIZZLED FUCKING CORBIN BERNSEN.

Dynomutt

Ok people. I've just finished episode 6, and we're completely off book........ And i liked it.

Or rather i should say.
I like the Mad Sweeney, Laura and Salim road trip.
But didn't really like the
Shadow/Wednesday stuff.

Also.
GRIZZLED FUCKING CORBIN BERNSEN.

Ya at first i was a bit weary but it's good so far will report back!

I'm caught up (finished watching ep 4/5, awesome stuff) and am now completely on board with this show. It was always interesting, but now I'm invested.

hydruxo

The
Mexican Jesus
scene was really powerful to me. All of the Coming to American sequences have been on point.

Absolutely loved the Adventures of Sweeney, Dead Wife, and
Salim.
Quotables galore. My favorite was
leprecunt,
or
Sweeney comparing Laura's love life with Shadow to anal sex and she just says "I don't know, I really like anal sex" lmao

I'll post some more impressions once the episode has aired because I don't want to load up the page with spoiler tags, but yeah, I really enjoyed it.

hydruxo

haha just 2 left?
My brother has the naive idea that this will be a single season that covers the entire book.

They're definitely gonna spread it out as much as possible haha. They've barely even scratched the surface so far. Cool with me though, we've been getting great stuff like
Vulcan and Mexican Jesus
that wasn't in the book.

suzu

I like the show-only stuff so far. I think Mad Sweeney is now my favorite character. Laura is also pretty good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode 6 Early Watch Spoilers

Sweeney & "Dead Wife" roadtrip is stealing the show. "I've done the math. This times that equals you're a cunt." Lol. And Salim is joining too?! This is crazy.

We're so fucking off book here, but I'm loving it. The original content in this series is damn good.

Shy

I'm so happy they are giving him more screen time, I was afraid they wouldn't. Hope he doesn't get corrupted by Laura and Sweeney haha.
What i found shocking was, she is actually being very kind and nice to him. Which seems very out of character for her. But i like it.

hydruxo

Do gods have
a respawn timer as long as they have followers?

Pretty much.
It all depends on how strongly the belief in them is and their mythology. Mexican Jesus has millions of followers, so he'll resurrect pretty quickly. Notice the bullet wound in his chest glows gold when they zoom out from his dead body.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The off book content (Vulcan et al) was still concocted by Geiman and inspired by a village in Alabama he's been in. No wonder it's quality.

Top Bottom