• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
They would have known it would spark up the debate by phrasing it this way. They're probably all reading the big forums and blogs at the moment, chuckling away. BASTARDS.

No matter how they phrased it, someone on some forum would've "figured out" some ridiculous hidden meaning from it.

Just took a photo of the iPad. Made a duplicate of the promo. There's nothing NOTHING hidden in that image. It's just a fuckin iPad 2. Will upload in a moment.

LCfiner

against my better judgment, I am now considering the possibility of a haptic touch system based on the invite and this damn thread.

It would be pretty cool...

Mobius 1

There will nothing revolutionary about the touch technology. People always find a way to read too much into things and invariably end up with shattered expectations.

Asking again, how much should I sell my 32GB iPad2 with 3G? It has a dent on the aluminum corner, but the glass is untouched.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
t1331143200z1.png

mainimage_us_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

via The Verge:

I'll be updating the OP with all sorts of goodies as the event approaches. Time to get EVEN MORE SUPER DUPER PUMPED!

Judging by this picture the iPad 3 will feature really bad light leak. confirmed. Look at the thumb!!11

No matter how they phrased it, someone on some forum would've "figured out" some ridiculous hidden meaning from it.
But that's just it. If they'd said simply 'We have something you really need to see.' There would be none of this. Some people might relate it to Apple TV, but most would take it as a confirmation of the retina display, and say 'oh yes... can't wait!'. There is nothing ridiculous about wondering why they mentioned 'touch' again. It was totally deliberate, either because they have haptic tech, or because they thought 'this will kick them off, lol'.

jts

...hate me...
They would have known it would spark up the debate by phrasing it this way. They're probably all reading the big forums and blogs at the moment, chuckling away. BASTARDS.
Just yesterday I was trying to predict what tease could Apple come up with for the invitations for a retina iPad event. I ended with "a sight to be touched" as in a shitty wordplay with a "sight to behold" and the the fact that the iPad screen is also touched... because it's a touchscreen.

Never for a moment I thought of haptic feedback or whatevs.

Seriously, that won't happen and the wording doesn't imply it at all.

Also, on a semi-unrelated note, I even doubt they'll include a vibrating motor (for alerts and other stuff). But it'd be nice.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Asking again, how much should I sell my 32GB iPad2 with 3G? It has a dent on the aluminum corner, but the glass is untouched.

I go to eBay and look for my model, check 'completed listings' to see how much they've been selling for generally, and base a figure on that.

Quick

Banned
About time I jumped into the iPad pool. I was going to buy the iPad 2 around Christmas, but I figured I'd wait.

Don't cry, wallet. It'll all be over soon enough.

border

Did it occur to anyone that they added the "Something to Touch" bit simply because they wanted invitees to know that they conference will be about iOS and not Mac stuff or AppleTV or iTunes? Or because Apple wants invitees to think that they will get hands-on demonstrations with the device?

That seems to be a much more simple explanation than some esoteric new technology being crammed into the unit.

CFMOORE!

Just yesterday I was trying to predict what tease could Apple come up with for the invitations for a retina iPad event. I ended with "a sight to be touched" as in a shitty wordplay with a "sight to behold" and the the fact that the iPad screen is also touched... because it's a touchscreen.

Also, on a semi-unrelated note, I even doubt they'll include a vibrating motor (for alerts and other stuff). But it'd be nice.

My thoughts are the deliberate sentence break means the "touch" component is something new. otherwise why the fuck reiterate that, we've been touching their screens for 5 goddamn years now. that isn't anything special.

sure maybe it is Apple trolling, but that's not their style. They come out with "WOW" factor, and the haptic touch or whatever is something to bring that and make "And touch." mean something.

kehs

Banned
Does the ipad currently have a vibrator? Cause if that's what they're adding.

lol

p.s. don't google ipad+ vibrator.

I'm gonna have to disagree again. 'A sight to be touched' doesn't strike me as 'oh there's something cool we want to show you with our touch tech too'. It's a single phrase that says to me 'this touch device is gonna look more amazing than other touch devices'.

But the way they've done it deliberately separates the 'touch' part, and isn't a play on words or anything.

Why do I keep getting this urge to buy one when I have the money :/

I would've wanted nothing to do with an iPad not a year ago. Then I got my iPhone...

Goddamnit Apple.

LCfiner

Why do I keep getting this urge to buy one when I have the money :/

I would've wanted nothing to do with an iPad not a year ago. Then I got my iPhone...

Goddamnit Apple.

lol. stupid isheep who appreciates well designed products.

So he's not relevant and doesn't know anything. Gotcha.

no, he does know quite a bit (but nothing insider regarding this ipad). he’s smart. the site is just small compared to, say, The Verge or Engadget

Weenerz

Banned
If it's just a beefier version of the Ipad2, then I won't jump at it. I need a retina screen to even think about it.

I'm quite surprised at the amount of people who are so confident that there will be no haptic tech. We can debate for hours about whether the wording implies anything or not, but even if the invite was simply 'You're Invited', I would happily entertain the notion of haptic tech being in there. It's not crazy future tech. It's feasible right now and Apple would be the company I'd bet on bringing it to the market first.

jts

...hate me...
Apple (or TBWA\Chiat\Day) loves those short useless final remarks.

It's just like the iPhone 4's "This changes everything. Again.".

I'm quite surprised at the amount of people who are so confident that there will be no haptic tech. We can debate for hours about whether the wording implies anything or not, but even if the invite was simply 'You're Invited', I would happily entertain the notion of haptic tech being in there. It's not crazy future tech. It's feasible right now and Apple would be the company I'd bet on bringing it to the market first.

Oh, we'll debate about it for at least another week.

lol. stupid isheep who appreciates well designed products.

Bleh! I know. Guess I'll have to be waiting in line for days for one now and everyone after..

And I only bought the iphone cause it was the only phone with more than 32gb local storage :(

I'VE BEEN KIDNAPPED BY APPLE HALP

JCreasy

And they have a stalwart/beloved/enduring business partner to help make a splash with. It would be a marketing bonanza!!

"One more thing. What happens when you bring together a little Apple magic . . . and a little Disney magic . . ."

There's been nothing at all even hinting at the idea that this iPad has haptic touch other than the sentence fragment "And touch." and an unrelated youtube video. There's been no leaked parts, mentions of it in OS code, no so called "insiders" spreading rumors about it. I will be absolutely shocked if it's announced.

Edit:

Let's just get a betting pool rolling.

I could get behind the idea.

Upon further inspection...

Holy shit. That is the Retina Pad display. My photos of replicating the image (to prove not has nothing to do with no home button) show all of the pixels without even looking for them. Where as the image shown for the promo shows no pixels. The only other explanation would be that the screen is a rendering, which is quite possible.

There's been nothing at all even hinting at the idea that this iPad has haptic touch other than the sentence fragment "And touch." and an unrelated youtube video. There's been no leaked parts, mentions of it in OS code, no so called "insiders" spreading rumors about it. I will be absolutely shocked if it's announced tomorrow.

Maybe it's in stuff for iOS 6? Could be that they are implementing it with iOS 6...

But then that throws a wrench into the a lot of things

Unless it's like Siri (did we have any ios code info about Siri for the 4s?) and it'll be specifically for the iPad 3?

Maybe it's in stuff for iOS 6? Could be that they are implementing it with iOS 6...

But then that throws a wrench into the a lot of things

Unless it's like Siri (did we have any ios code info about Siri for the 4s?) and it'll be specifically for the iPad 3?

I forget how exactly Siri info leaked out but there were definitely rumors of an assistant using that technology before the phone was announced.

I forget how exactly Siri info leaked out but there were definitely rumors of an assistant using that technology before the phone was announced.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/25/leak-future-ios-update-to-introduce-siri-based-voice-control/

So yeah. Unless this is the "One more thing" then maybe not..

Only way around it I would think would be it's an update all on it's own, but that's grasping for straws.

Also had no idea Apple bought a company called 'Siri' and kept the name... TIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom