• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer [Mafia] |OT| Wait, I Had Something For This

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Unvote: El Topo

I'd like to see more from TheGoddamn. I know it can be difficult balancing this game with timezones and commitments, and I don't expect you to go through everything with a fine-toothed comb, nor respond to everything. Just skim it over, we'll eventually reach a point where we're all skimming over everything anyway.

But you should throw out a vote at least, so we have a record of what you did, which will become increasingly important in the following days. The chances of your single vote leading to a lynch is slight, unless you can create a convincing argument, so that should take some of the pressure off of "getting it right".

Really, Day 1 lynches aren't about "getting it right", but about "getting everyone's voice out" so we have material to work with as information starts to trickle in from night kills, from roles, and from the lynches themselves.

Some slightly cooler (less hot) actual reads now that we have some actual words to go on.

Septimus Prime
Burbeting
cabbeh
Zubz
Hobohodo

I kinda wish I had posted this last night, it was certainly a surprise to see so many of that list clustered around voting for GLT, but no, that's not why this group is catching my attention.

With the exception of Septimus, everyone in this group stated an active disinterest in participating in the missions. cabbeh and burbe somewhat less so than Zubz and Hobo but it still stuck out to me.

To be clear, my gut feels strongly that there is a decent possibility of 1 KGB among this group. I very all or even a plurality of them are at this point.

So why did I bring up Septimus? Unfortunately, he reminds me a lot of nin1000. He's most likely agency but my gut makes me suspect that throughout the game he will be difficult to read and generally create more noise than signal. I hope to be proven wrong, as it's still very early in this game.

Still considering my vote.
To be fair, if I were KGB, I most likely wouldn't be discussing what I think the best strategy for them would be right in this thread like I am doing.

I am a little wary of people taking squidyj's Reaganomics calculation from earlier at face value, though. There are just too many assumptions--including that the KGB players would be playing poorly--to be made for that to be viable.

squidyj

To be fair, if I were KGB, I most likely wouldn't be discussing what I think the best strategy for them would be right in this thread like I am doing.

I am a little wary of people taking squidyj's Reaganomics calculation from earlier at face value, though. There are just too many assumptions--including that the KGB players would be playing poorly--to be made for that to be viable.

I don't understand what you mean by reaganomics here. trickle down? what?
Lets have it out about these assumptions and their reasonableness.

I don't understand what you mean by reaganomics here. trickle down? what?
Lets have it out about these assumptions and their reasonableness.
Fuzzy math.

As I mentioned before, the assumption being made is that that KGB would plan to send only one member on the first mission. This makes little sense, for a few reasons:

1. They should be sending as many members as possible so those members can be immune while no one else knows who they are.

2. They should also squeeze out all the regular Agency players from being able to do the mission so they have the advantage of knowing what the missions entail before anyone else knows.

3. Since we're eager to lynch someone, with more KGB members immune, it increases the probability of the player being lynched being Agency.

I know the KGB players are smart and have also figured this out.

Mazre

Gonna follow my gut for now, and that's pretty much all I'm going on with this:

Vote: Zubz

Gonna echo Haly and remind those that haven't yet, to please vote, it's your biggest responsibility as a member of this spy agency. We're probably gonna get it wrong the first several times but that's the nature of the game.

Mazre

Bunch of wrong stuff

1. Missions do not impact the lynches, all players are in the available lynch pool.

2. We all have the same information re: Missions. The mission group and the agency group cannot target outside of their group during the night phase. End of story. Ouro even stated that the mission description was fluff.

3. See 1, no one is immune to lynching.

All the above under the assumption that there are no roles that are exceptions to the above. There is currently no evidence to support that there are any.

Palmer_v1

Damn, that's what I get for skimming the posts from over the weekend.

Yeah, at best, it makes them harder to target with some night actions. They also wouldn't want 4 Town to have a separate chat if they can avoid it. I'm starting to wonder if maybe we beat them to the punch and some of the people who want to regulate volunteers are Mafia irritated that they missed the boat.

squidyj

Fuzzy math.

As I mentioned before, the assumption being made is that that KGB would plan to send only one member on the first mission. This makes little sense, for a few reasons:

1. They should be sending as many members as possible so those members can be immune while no one else knows who they are.

2. They should also squeeze out all the regular Agency players from being able to do the mission so they have the advantage of knowing what the missions entail before anyone else knows.

3. Since we're eager to lynch someone, with more KGB members immune, it increases the probability of the player being lynched being Agency.

I know the KGB players are smart and have also figured this out.

please read the thread before posting :(

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
okay i'm going to ask you now to substantiate your argument against me.

1) Just look at him
B) I've got all this, like, evidence and stuff
3) You've got a squid face and you belong in the Cthulhu game

That's the "gut" part of it

4) Far and away the most posts, with not all of them being meaningful. For example, broken tags

Vote: Cabbeh[\highlight]

VOTE: Cabbeh

Whoops, wrong slash last time

This happened twice I believe.

Also this fluffy exchange with the seath, from post 541 all the way to post 563. It's like, sheesh, just go ahead and make out already.

5) Talking about no-kill day phases

The other problem with the idea is even if we send the wrong group in this scenario mafia can generate a false positive by simply choosing not to kill anyone (this can be alleviated by not immediately lynching but rather allowing the game to drag out for a few no-kill day phases, generating information and reads and potentially forcing mafia to make a move)

6) This complicated-ass method for voting on volunteers that was suggested as other people are talking about trying to put the volunteer voting aside and focus on lynch voting:

yeah if you want to make it a little complicated, 2 top town, 2 top scum. top town is +1, top scum is -1, sum and send.

Which was then (too?) quickly explained:

I'm suggesting this system because hopefully we can use the mission system (at least until we have more information) to protect valuable town players and town assets. that's the goal, to have a system that integrates into the rest of gameplay, that also allows us to extract some value from the mission system. Later in the game we might want to abandon it in favor of something more nuanced or to achieve some other specific goal but for now I think the idea has to be that we want to keep mafia out and good town in.

Along with this post still insisting (maybe in jest) that we worry about the volunteer system 100 posts later:

no, we need to have control, any other system is simply unacceptable.

7) squidyj, Palmer, Haly, Hobo, Mazre, Seath (? might be missing some) all seem to know what you're doing, and since the odds are that ~1/5 people are mafia or possibly anti-town neutral, that means one of the more active/experienced players is probably mafia (by the odds) and I am admittedly actively trying to focus on figuring out which of the more talkative/experienced players might be scum. Both because I don't want to be blatantly fooled by somebody who is talking in my face (a pride thing), and because the more talkative players give me more to look at. And you're the one of the more talkative/experienced players that happens to set off my squid alarm, for the actual reasons above + gut.

So, nothing personal (besides your squiddy face), I do have some actual reasons, maybe they're bogus but hey I'm new at this.

Okay, I was already leaning towards voting squidyj, but Arkos's last comment has given me enough reasons to satisfy my confirmation bias, so now I'll:

Vote: squidyj

Unvote: El Topo

I'd like to see more from TheGoddamn. I know it can be difficult balancing this game with timezones and commitments, and I don't expect you to go through everything with a fine-toothed comb, nor respond to everything. Just skim it over, we'll eventually reach a point where we're all skimming over everything anyway.

But you should throw out a vote at least, so we have a record of what you did, which will become increasingly important in the following days. The chances of your single vote leading to a lynch is slight, unless you can create a convincing argument, so that should take some of the pressure off of "getting it right".

Really, Day 1 lynches aren't about "getting it right", but about "getting everyone's voice out" so we have material to work with as information starts to trickle in from night kills, from roles, and from the lynches themselves.

Right. I have been reading the thread, and the dynamics of forum mafia are very different from real-life mafia (which I played during college), and being quiet must appear extra suspicious/unhelpful in this relatively asynchronous setting.

Haly, your post, along with another in which someone said that day-one votes are not actually for lynching but for picking someone to interact with, have been very helpful.

I've been operating on the mechanics of the IRL mafia games that I've played, in which votes were relatively final. But here, with things like unvoting, votes are more like talking points instead of final answers. I thought I had plenty of time before day phase ended, but voting at the last minute helps no one.

So, my next post will be a vote. I'd wanted to vote in this post, but I'm on my phone now and have to take care of something before I can get on my computer (the groceries). I am definitely going to vote for one of the four volunteers. I was also debating on whether to shelve this post until I can vote, but I am erring on the side of checking in and letting everyone know that I am reading, just getting a grip on it all.

squidyj

1) Just look at him
B) I've got all this, like, evidence and stuff
3) You've got a squid face and you belong in the Cthulhu game

That's the "gut" part of it

4) Far and away the most posts, with not all of them being meaningful. For example, broken tags

This happened twice I believe.

Also this fluffy exchange with the seath, from post 541 all the way to post 563. It's like, sheesh, just go ahead and make out already.

5) Talking about no-kill day phases

6) This complicated-ass method for voting on volunteers that was suggested as other people are talking about trying to put the volunteer voting aside and focus on lynch voting:

Which was then (too?) quickly explained:

Along with this post still insisting (maybe in jest) that we worry about the volunteer system 100 posts later:

7) squidyj, Palmer, Haly, Hobo, Mazre, Seath (? might be missing some) all seem to know what you're doing, and since the odds are that ~1/5 people are mafia or possibly anti-town neutral, that means one of the more active/experienced players is probably mafia (by the odds) and I am admittedly actively trying to focus on figuring out which of the more talkative/experienced players might be scum. Both because I don't want to be blatantly fooled by somebody who is talking in my face (a pride thing), and because the more talkative players give me more to look at. And you're the one of the more talkative/experienced players that happens to set off my squid alarm, for the actual reasons above + gut.

So, nothing personal (besides your squiddy face), I do have some actual reasons, maybe they're bogus but hey I'm new at this.

Everything you're doing is wrong.

First of all you should not be hunting active players giving lots of information, not at this point in the game. Even if I think palmer (for example) might be mafia I'm not going to lynch him day 1 because If I'm wrong I've just fucked town in an incredibly fucking stupid way, I will have engaged in bad strategy. Even if I'm right I know from experience that talkative mafia have a tendency to talk themselves into a corner later on so I can afford to give him enough rope to hang himself.

So this means everything up to your number 5 is garbage. You need to reread the post you quote for number 5 because you're clearly not getting it since you're talking about day kills, which is not the subject of my post. So 5 is garbage as well.

6. You don't want people bringing up solutions to problems in the game because apparently that's distracting but by god if we're going to distract town we'd better spend pages doing it. If there's something you don't understand about what I proposed feel free to ask but I think it's been explained so far.

7 goes back to your earlier stuff and has already been addressed.

Now, tell me why you volunteered so quickly for the mission if you're new and you don't know what you're doing.

squidyj

You think i'm the best lynch because I'm an easy target.

I already defended myself, and none of your accusations hold any ground at all.

Not active enough? I've been really busy and my timezone sucks for this game.
Not enough substance? It's day one and I'm sorry if I'm not coming out with grand theories or attacking random people for no reason.

You even said that i'm not posting that much which is bullshit, I am nowhere near the bottom of the rankings for posts.

Just admit it, you think I'm a bad player and an easy target and you want an easy lynch on the first day. It would make more sense than all the stupid accusations you are throwing my way, and that's probably why nobody is taking your bait.

you're so easy the only other person who's commented on you is cabbeh. that's pretty easy.

roytheone

My conviction that roy is mafia is stronger than ever, although I must admit I haven't read any of his posts since my accusation. Unless he's presented convincing evidence to the contrary they wouldn't change much anyway.

I'll follow my gut feeling this game.

Does anybody else think this post is kinda weird? You basically say that you are more convinced about me while giving exactly 0 reasons for it, except your "gut". You even confess you didn't read any of my posts before answering. There is no way for me to defend against this kind of accusation, and thus it will create no valuable responses from anybody.

Does anybody else think this post is kinda weird? You basically say that you are more convinced about me while giving exactly 0 reasons for it, except your "gut". You even confess you didn't read any of my posts before answering. There is no way for me to defend against this kind of accusation, and thus it will create no valuable responses from anybody.
To be fair, on day one, everybody's voting with their gut.

Seeing that we are now totes on track with our Office Pelting, I wanna pelt Mr. Prime again! Pls~

Vote: Septimus Prime

Reasons!

ACT I
One of the stragglers who chimed in with short bursts of vacuous post (#387)
When squidypoo prodded (#388), his reply was also too short for my liking! (#389)

Being hungry for words, I pressed him quite hungrily (#391) !! ~excite~

However, his reply was only to pick the other fellow low-post-count-suspects :< (#393)

ACT II
I pelted Mazre lovingly with various Office Stationery (#506)
Mr. Prime picked up my analysis and agreed with me.... <3 .... ONLY TO TURN AGAINST ME >:O (#510)

I cannot resist such lovely counter-pelt~ so I pressed on and tried to mine more words from this elusive customer (#513)

HE ABANDONED ME AND LEFT ME HANGING FOR MORE

(seriously, whats up with that)

INTERMISSION

Still at the same page (showing that he's active and paying attention to the thread), he made this smelly post (#532):

Shoot. Better up my post count, quick, then.

Sure, it may be fairy floss of a post, but I sort of frown on this kind of attitude! It ~jokingly~ imply that Mr. Prime seeks to gain some semblance of cheap illusion of safety through fluffing up his post counts!

ACT III

May I present the posts on the top of this page~ where he made even further dubious posts that are not only fillerly but also full with misleading information !

EPILOGUE

Just saying that Mr. Prime hasn't really contributed in any meaningful manner so far and most of his posts have been fluff and that I was sore cuz he ignored my hunger for words and I would like that when players are placed under the INTERROGATION LIGHT that they do not slink away furtively.

Engage please :D

Synopsis: Basically, I am pelting Mr. Prime for the quality of his posts ! I am a woman of high taste~ My standards, they require appeasements~

Well, hope y'all had enjoyed tonight's entertainment ^_____^

(boy that post took forever to put together) (i need to claim overtime)

cabot

With the exception of Septimus, everyone in this group stated an active disinterest in participating in the missions. cabbeh and burbe somewhat less so than Zubz and Hobo but it still stuck out to me.

I'm disinterested in the mission currently for a couple of reasons

1. I don't know how they work and if there are night activities linked with them, and I don't particularly want to find out myself (not that I could since the spots were taken up so quickly)
2. I'm town, and while I'd like to be in this game for a little longer than the first night, I'm not going to hop on a mission just to secure my place. In preparation for this game, I read one of the wikia pages on how to play Town and one of the key points is to work to the benefit of town, and accept that you yourself are expendable. Coupled with my first real game of forum Mafia (only played small IRC ones before this) I wanted to keep the playing field as simple as possible, so missing the mission on the first night would help me in that regard.
3. As I also said, everyone took spots quickly, my first post offered thoughts on the mission, and I was hoping most people would follow my lead (naive on my part obviously). I didn't expect the insta-volunteer to happen. Lesson learned.

cabot

I'm suspicious of Arkos and cooljeanius now,

Arkos' post on voting for squidyj seemed pretty bizarre, half of it was joke reasons and the other half weren't very credible, then cooljeanius just agreed and hopped on the bandwagon.

Even if you do have suspicions of squidy, he's right when he says he's been active.

It's also the same reason I've not mentioned Palmer and Haly this round. I feel they are contributing well to the discussion which ultimately benefits Town at this stage in the game.

I'm not gonna lie though, squidy's soaked comment and follow through got him pretty close to a principle lynch. DId you spike your own drink?!

cabot

Mazre's responses have satisfied me for the time being, I'm going for cooljeanius after the hopping.

VOTE: cooljeanius

As said before, it's very likely that at least one of the volunteers is KGB.

Arkos and Tiger are both new, so like me, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Even though Palmer voted for me, it was one of the efforts that spurred me to start participating more, and I also understand the sentiment that keeping Palmer, if he is a townie, is invaluable.

Mazre's being immediately on the ball as regards volunteering-- a minute after Ourobolus kicked off the game-- is cause for concern. So,

Vote: Mazre

Again, sorry for not voting right away; I underestimated the time at which votes were expected.

Counterpoint: The mafia knew that we would come to the conclusion that missions would have at least a one in four chance of having a mafia member, and deliberately delayed their volunteering so that the first mission would be all townies, giving them free rein over the town if they have special powers. Splitting the agency populace might be to their advantage, and losing access to the first night's mission chat-- given the lack of knowledge about missions-- is a calculated sacrifice. But this is crazy, right?

cabot

Counterpoint: The mafia knew that we would come to the conclusion that missions would have at least a one in four chance of having a mafia member, and deliberately delayed their volunteering so that the first mission would be all townies, giving them free rein over the town if they have special powers. Splitting the agency populace might be to their advantage, and losing access to the first night's mission chat-- given the lack of knowledge about missions-- is a calculated sacrifice. But this is crazy, right?

I think this is a possible option however I keep thinking if I was playing as mafia, I'd like to have an eye on every potentially open communication channel available in the hopes of uncovering roles/creating friction between different parties. I would rank that as more valuable than the suspicion raised by volunteering early.

Definitely a good consideration though, hell maybe the mafia slipped up and isn't in the initial four volunteers. Just goes to show how incredibly difficult making a solid choice on Day 1 is.

squidyj

As said before, it's very likely that at least one of the volunteers is KGB.

Arkos and Tiger are both new, so like me, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Even though Palmer voted for me, it was one of the efforts that spurred me to start participating more, and I also understand the sentiment that keeping Palmer, if he is a townie, is invaluable.

Mazre's being immediately on the ball as regards volunteering-- a minute after Ourobolus kicked off the game-- is cause for concern. So,

Vote: Mazre

Again, sorry for not voting right away; I underestimated the time at which votes were expected.

I'm not willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt for being new. I think if you're looking in that group Mazre is not the correct choice. Tiger drew a lot of votes fairly easily as well so that makes me gunshy of choosing him from the 4, palmer is active and useful and doesn't come off as scum to me whereas there's

arkos who has offered some flimsy arguments for voting against me, uses his newness as a shield and I don't think has generally offered a lot to town, and yet at the same time he's not getting the level of scrutiny that other mission members are getting, he is to me the scummiest of them all and he's skating by. That adds up to nothing to good. Either he is existing in the blind spot of other players or mafia teammates are keeping attention off of him.

squidyj

I forgot to address the counterpoint. We fundamentally don't know how many mafia are on the mission and how many are not, day 1 reads might not be great but they're better than guessing, second-guessing and third-guessing the day 0 mafia gameplan. I still believe Razmos is a threat, I don't think he's offered all that much to town in terms of opinion or insight, he's posted enough to keep his head above water and has avoided excessive fluff posting but all of his contributions have been quite minor when he isn't simply agreeing with something someone else said. He may protest but I also think he's better than how he's been playing in this day phase, based on past experience.

cabot

OK I've been reading back and noticed cooljeanius has been giving some thought of why he's going after squidy, though I think his logic is pretty poor. Sure, some mafia do play the chatty game, but that's creating opportunities where slip-ups can happen. People that post infrequently/fluff are much more troublesome to weed out and should be given priority in these early stages.

I'm going for a trade of I don't think he's contributing much mixed with quickly jumping on the squidy vote after Arkos.

I'm willing to go over to Arkos if time is running out and there's no consensus. He's rubbing me the wrong way.

Palmer_v1

Qj5tGk2.png

Few of those towards the bottom could be an issue. A lot of their posts aren't super useful either. Giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Hobohodo

Ok so all caught up now. At the moment we are all just chucking out thoughts and opinions as they come to us. As its Day 1 not really much else we can do so I may as well continue.

So question for Squidy, what's up with Razmos? At the risk of getting on hour scum list he doesn't really give me any reason to suspect him right now and I don't really see differences to his AC posting habits. I'm sure you have some reason as you had pretty good reads in the previous games, but I couldn't back a Razmos lynch right now.

Secondly Seath posted a chunk when he was last in the thread but NONE of it had any content. Come on man.

For Maze I just want to clarify that I was not interested to go on the Night 1 mission as we don't yet know if we can take it at face value that it is just a private chat for four players that splits the groups. If it is that then I've got no problem with volunteering in the future.

We seem to have moved away from the organising volunteers angle and focused on lynching which is good though I am concerned we couldn't come to a consensus. I'm not really reading much into the preferences everyone has for now we handle it as I feel that's as much a personality thing as an allegiance thing. As long as once we reach Day 2 we don't waste time discussing methods and instead use that time to sniff out the KGB I'm happy.

OK I've been reading back and noticed cooljeanius has been giving some thought of why he's going after squidy, though I think his logic is pretty poor. Sure, some mafia do play the chatty game, but that's creating opportunities where slip-ups can happen. People that post infrequently/fluff are much more troublesome to weed out and should be given priority in these early stages.
Well, it looks like it ultimately comes down to a difference in values, then. I disagree, but I doubt I'd be able to convince you of that...

Zubz

Banned

To be clear, my gut feels strongly that there is a decent possibility of 1 KGB among this group. I very all or even a plurality of them are at this point.

Gonna follow my gut for now, and that's pretty much all I'm going on with this:

Vote: Zubz

I can't fault you for voting one person out of a group of several somewhat-suspicious players; I mean, that's exactly why I picked Tiger! I'm in the same boat as Palmer, too, where all I can give is a reason why I'm doing what I'm doing, and hope that you guys understand/don't think there's an ulterior motive.

Nonetheless, the reason I didn't want to push to volunteer was because it was a new mechanic. I'm prone to screwing those up, so I wanted to see how volunteering worked before I tried to do it myself. I feel I learn better by seeing something in action, rather than just reading how it'll work. Granted, we won't see what happens in the night, but we can get the gist of what all happened from the people who did volunteer.

Also, the more I think about it, the worse I feel about picking Tiger. I mean, I said I didn't pick Arkos due to a lack of experience, but Tiger's new to the game, too. Plus, the only reason I picked him over Mazre was because Maz already had votes on him, and I just wanted to apply pressure on the volunteers more than anything. It seems like none of them are budging, though, so this might all just be in vain. Oh well.

I love your new avatar!

omg twinsies !!!!

... wait. are you pulling a blarg-tier face-mask spy thingy on me? cuz flattery will get you everywhere~ *winky face*

and on that note! it isnt new! i changed to it before the game staaarrtttt waaahhh .... do i have to find another one noooowww ;___; i didn't realise yours was so similar cuz i browse with all images off ;____; metered internet sucks :<

Ah, good 'ol Fister Roboto. I was wondering when you'd show up!

dont be so excited! you'll get your turn, soon enough!

roytheone

Alright, caught up with the thread again and it seems the votes go the way of picking someone of the original volunteers instead of lynching an inactive player. I don't really have a problem with that, I still think the mafia will have 1 guy in this mission simply to have access to the chat, but I also think it doesn't give us a huge advantage, it gives us 1/4 chance instead of 4/18 (assuming there are 5 mafia members, which I know is kinda a guess, but we can really only guess at the number of mafia at this point). So I am still in favor of damage control and lynch a player that isn't as active, I have looked at the posts mike hawk made after my vote, and it only increased my suspicion:

As information in this game is key, experienced player such as Mazre and Palmer are more likely to be my guess as KGB since they know how to find good leads thanks to their russian special training.

This reads like he is trying us to vote for a player with a lot of experience and skill, which would hurt us a lot if they turn out to be town after lynching. I don't think it is a good idea to target potential valuable town members in day 1 since it is basically a guess who we lynch.

People who are opting to change the volunteering process should be townies/drones as they are trashing mafia's plan.

I don't agree with this at all. Yes, I know I am probably the most vocal advocate to change the volunteering process, but I expect there will be at least some mafia hiding in the group of people that support me in this. The mafia will never risk it to put all their eggs in one basket and only be against my idea, that would be stupid, instead I think they will spread their members around to all sides of the argument, which will make it harder for us to find them. So automatically calling everyone that is for a different system town is a mistake.

So in summary mike_hawk didn't say a whole lot, and I kinda disagree with the things he DOES say. Does that automatically make him KGB? defiantly not, like he himself said he is fairly new to this, but still, on day 1 there is so little to go on, that I will stick with my vote for now.

Palmer_v1

Alright, caught up with the thread again and it seems the votes go the way of picking someone of the original volunteers instead of lynching an inactive player. I don't really have a problem with that, I still think the mafia will have 1 guy in this mission simply to have access to the chat, but I also think it doesn't give us a huge advantage, it gives us 1/4 chance instead of 4/18 (assuming there are 5 mafia members, which I know is kinda a guess, but we can really only guess at the number of mafia at this point). So I am still in favor of damage control and lynch a player that isn't as active, I have looked at the posts mike hawk made after my vote, and it only increased my suspicion:

This reads like he is trying us to vote for a player with a lot of experience and skill, which would hurt us a lot if they turn out to be town after lynching. I don't think it is a good idea to target potential valuable town members in day 1 since it is basically a guess who we lynch.

I don't agree with this at all. Yes, I know I am probably the most vocal advocate to change the volunteering process, but I expect there will be at least some mafia hiding in the group of people that support me in this. The mafia will never risk it to put all their eggs in one basket and only be against my idea, that would be stupid, instead I think they will spread their members around to all sides of the argument, which will make it harder for us to find them. So automatically calling everyone that is for a different system town is a mistake.

So in summary mike_hawk didn't say a whole lot, and I kinda disagree with the things he DOES say. Does that automatically make him KGB? defiantly not, like he himself said he is fairly new to this, but still, on day 1 there is so little to go on, that I will stick with my vote for now.

I wasn't planning on saying anything about Mike, but I had come to similar conclusions about his posts. I was holding off because he's new and I hate to go after them Day 1. It also could be misconstrued as an OMGUS vote. I haven't decided if I want to go for the more inactives players or not today, but he would be my current choice of the bottom 5.

Arkos

Everything you're doing is wrong.

:(

First of all you should not be hunting active players giving lots of information, not at this point in the game. Even if I think palmer (for example) might be mafia I'm not going to lynch him day 1 because If I'm wrong I've just fucked town in an incredibly fucking stupid way, I will have engaged in bad strategy. Even if I'm right I know from experience that talkative mafia have a tendency to talk themselves into a corner later on so I can afford to give him enough rope to hang himself.

I'm aware of this problem, and I might not have voted for you if there were more people voting for you. As it stands, you don't seem to be in any real danger, so therefore my vote just applies pressure and gets feedback for some of my perceptions.

So this means everything up to your number 5 is garbage.

Eh, I'll sort of disagree, I mean it's a pretty wide margin between your posts and second place, but fair enough.

You need to reread the post you quote for number 5 because you're clearly not getting it since you're talking about day kills, which is not the subject of my post. So 5 is garbage as well.

I think I understand? The mafia can make us think that we trapped them all on a mission by not killing anyone that night, which will make us mislynch a town member. We can counter that by not immediately lynching the mission group, but rather waiting for more information. I'm assuming that while we were not lynching anyone we would be sending the same group on the mission every night?

It's a fine idea, I just felt like it was projecting a little far ahead, and therefore kind of unnecessarily bringing up the idea of no-kill days. Probably not the best evidence.

6. You don't want people bringing up solutions to problems in the game because apparently that's distracting but by god if we're going to distract town we'd better spend pages doing it. If there's something you don't understand about what I proposed feel free to ask but I think it's been explained so far.

I understand it and I did think it was worth addressing the volunteer system, but then after a while it was obviously a lot of spinning tires, and an easy way for mafia to encourage fruitless discussion would be for them to continue to focus on the volunteer system.

I think I prefer this post on the volunteer system, mostly because it's the simplest:

I'd like this to be the "gentleman's agreement":

1) We move down the list of volunteers with every day
2) Cannot volunteer while you're on the list (no queueing up multiple days)
3) Same queue rules as was established. If you unvolunteer and revolunteer, you go back to the end of the list

This way people who really want to get on that mission can do so just by being patient. KGB will have a hard time exploiting it for their own ends, nor can they do so without raising suspicion. This will not need to be managed anymore than Ouro is already managing the volunteer list, there's no subjectiveness here, it's plain for all to see.

And finally:

7 goes back to your earlier stuff and has already been addressed.

Meh, again my voting for you doesn't really put you in any danger for now, and I want to put some pressure on the experienced/talkative and not let them get a free pass.

Now, tell me why you volunteered so quickly for the mission if you're new and you don't know what you're doing.

I explained that here:

And just for clarity, I was volunteering because a) I want to see what it's all about, b) it's cool, duh, and c) I'm afraid yall will lynch me if I stick around because I'm new and you don't know anything about me. I'm a pleb drone, village ftw.

and here:

I mistakenly thought volunteers can't be lynched that day. Although still, if people agreed on ones volunteering it might lessen the chances of lynching. But mostly that part of my motivation was a misunderstanding of the rules.

Also, I don't want to sit back and play quiet like a new person might normally. I want to be as active and aggressive as possible, and since I don't know what I'm doing that will obviously lead to some mistakes. But hopefully those mistakes will lead to feedback so I can improve and everybody can learn from the feedback that I get.

Arkos

Arkos' post on voting for squidyj seemed pretty bizarre, half of it was joke reasons and the other half weren't very credible

Are any reasons generated on Day 1 really going to be that credible?

then cooljeanius just agreed and hopped on the bandwagon.

I actually agree this is kind of suspicious lol. If my reasons are so bad then it is kind of strange for somebody to follow me so quickly. But I just like to think that cooljeanius is a smart dude and gets it.

I'm not gonna lie though, squidy's soaked comment and follow through got him pretty close to a principle lynch. DId you spike your own drink?!

I still don't understand what this is about, can somebody explain it like I'm 5? What's a principle lynch?

Palmer_v1

Are any reasons generated on Day 1 really going to be that credible?

I actually agree this is kind of suspicious lol. If my reasons are so bad then it is kind of strange for somebody to follow me so quickly. But I just like to think that cooljeanius is a smart dude and gets it.

I still don't understand what this is about, can somebody explain it like I'm 5? What's a principle lynch?

For the last bit, it's usually called a Policy Lynch, and it's basically when you know you're not lynching a Mafia, but it has to be done for some reason, i.e. a player that is sabotaging town for no reason, someone who is completely inactive, blargonaut, etc.

Top Bottom