• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer [Mafia] |OT| Wait, I Had Something For This

Congrratz town! It was fun to see your amazing turnaround from behind the scenes, even if it did contain nost ridiculous claim from Squid and ynny crazy roleblocking skills :D.

I have to admit I was kind of annoyed that I got offed so early in the game, especially since I had gained info about darryl-cop in night 1 that I could have used to town's advantage without outing him as the cop :D. But oh well, I at least had fun with roy in the dead chat! And I was the only one who khb killed succesfully (Darryl resulted in Gorliaks death), so I guess that's something..?

I think the balance was bit skewed towards isis, I guess if mafia had more cross-power roles, the missions impact would have been lessened. Otherwise I think it was okay.

Yesh, it's too bad you got taken down so quickly! They were super intimidated by you XD

I'd love to play a long game with you one day Burbe! Love your play in NX (learning lots from your style of reads!!)

So.... I think it's hard to determine whether a given setup is town favored or scum favored from a single play. That said, from this single play I can determine that this game was town favored although I think weak play on the part of scum seriously exacerbated the situation as well.

A lot of RNG went down too, the zeke attack, the el topo block

I like to think my read on Haly and Yeeny's read on mike weren't really RNG though, we had reasons to believe what we did.

Yeah, its hard to quantify but definitely there was scumtell that I was alerted to!

And yesh, agree with darryl also. If KGB had gotten in the early missions, things probably would have turned out very differently...

I just finished reading the KGB thread :> it's super interesting! Love the efforts and tips and google docs stuff <3

Gorlak really injected into the game with loads of energy <3

Haly's very smart and beauteaous as the leader <3

Mike and QB are great and responsive and creative with all those role ideas and deflection strats :D Love you guys!

Razmos' reaction at squidy's early tunnel was hilarious also :>

cabot

Also I think my D3 analysis and read of Enker was what won it.

What? No one but Darryl commented on it, by that I mean it was so unanimously accepted as fact, that it turned the tide.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm actually a little sad I got ejected from NX since I think I like playing as Town better. It's fun just trying to figure things out than having to manipulate everything.

Good game! I think I f'ed up by not noticing the start time and skimming the first few pages really quickly, which led to my dumb understanding of the rules, which led to me getting spooked because everyone got suspicious of me when I asked questions about that. On top of this, having not watched Archer at all, I knew I had nothing in terms of fake role claims.

About halfway through, though, I was like, fuck it, I'm going to say whatever I want, and they'll probably keep me alive because they can't make heads or tails of my alignment, which I think helped me coast through the game.

As for feedback:

1. I thought missions were interesting, but the first come, first serve way of getting into them heavily favored a few players who would camp the day's start. I'm not sure how that could be improved. Maybe a larger mission pool could help the mafia side so that they don't have to be so afraid to kill on the mission.

2. I do feel like the power roles favored town, and I agree that it would help mafia a lot if they had some powers that could cross between player pools to obfuscate things. At the very least, there should be neutrals with that kind of ability. It might be nice to have some bad guys with limited-shot piercing abilities, where they can ignore bulletproof and doctors.

3. Loved the flavor, eventually. I had to start watching Archer to get more into it, though.

4. I think it's nice to add this element on the one hand, but on the other hand, as someone with no preexisting knowledge of the show or its characters, I felt like I was at a severe disadvantage, since any fake role claim I did would have been seen through immediately.

5. I hope to play next season.

EDIT: Oh snap, I can edit this post, now that the game's over!

Ourobolus

Banned
If I ever end up doing one of these again on here, expect either Metal Gear Solid or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I'd stray away from named characters.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If Haly had gotten onto the missions, my cop gambit would have backfired TREMENDOUSLY. I mean he could have not only fucked my reads, but he could have derailed the game by 2 day phases if he misled me into chasing town.

I put it at 50/50 whether I'd be on the mission with a cop or with the tracker/watcher. Cop means I get to use my shit. Tracker/watcher makes it a near death sentence since there are all of maybe 2 roles in the game that self-target. I'd rather be effectively a vanilla KGB than being outed by the tracker/watcher, as I believe that any one PR for a KGB is a good trade.

Of course, I made the wrong bet in this specific instance, but imagine if you were the tracker/watcher and hobo was cop. It would've been better to stay out, wouldn't it? Far, far better.

I don't think I could've predicted a cop who claimed cop day 1 in the hidden chat. It's just so brazen you're the only one I can think of who'd attempt it. I mind-gamed myself into thinking the cop would stay out to investigate a greater pool of players (who will more likely have KGB), and thus I also stayed out.

I admit not sending someone in D1 was bad for us, but if I did I wouldn't have sent myself, I stand by that. Knowing that there is one Cop and at least one Tracker/Watcher puts a lot of constraints on what I can safely do.

EDIT: Oh right, the Doctor was killed Day 1 so I would have to claim Backup Doctor to feasibly self target (I had planned for this)...

Then the Backup Doctor died on N2. What do????

cabot

Alright, Septimus. Frankly, I'm becoming more and more amazed the longer you keep on living. You've proven moments of incredible density in D1, a little more here in D3 and now you're going after my hot hot crush, and also good pro-town contributor YNNNY. Your reason? Absolute pish mate. A fountain of disgusting yellow-red-just-had-a-load-of-beetroot-and-what-is-this flavoured pish. Zubz was harbouring suspicion from late D1 onwards, and YNNNY actually posted with references to such dodgy behaviour. It's alright though, your three word summary is about as powerful a contribution you've made in the entire time you've been here. El Topo really has saved you, and frankly I wish I could lynch you both. Topo takes priority for me today, but I've got my eyes on you next, sunshine.

I'd like to apologise to you Septimus, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It's all good. Really, though, I think at that point in the game, I just wanted to throw up a few more choices. I was just thinking at the time that, if I were Mafia, I'd try to look the towniest Town that ever towned, so I took a shot in the dark, which ended up being completely wrong.

If I ever end up doing one of these again on here, expect either Metal Gear Solid or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I'd stray away from named characters.

I'm done hosting after this, probably for good. I don't have any other great ideas, and I like playing more.

Does Blarg have a style?

It changes, but the one consistency is it's usually anti-town

His style is what I call "Aggressive Entertainer" - he wants to entertain all the players above all other motivations.... and he sure does! Sometimes even to the point of severe frustration :D

Blarg play is tremendous spectacle! Nothing quite like it! *_______*

Blarg is my buddy! ^_^

He sure is. Sorian/Blarg is my favourite pairing this season. Followed closely by Palmer/Darryl, and Crab/kgtrep. Hawthawt~

I would love a Hitchhiker's theme :D
I wanna be Zaphod! *dibs*

Me, too Septie! I sure tore into you pretty rough at the beginning of the game! .....and to any other players I may have grossly aggravate also, much appy-poly-loggies~

.... oooh i wants an orange clockwork theme now~

Palmer_v1

I put it at 50/50 whether I'd be on the mission with a cop or with the tracker/watcher. Cop means I get to use my shit. Tracker/watcher makes it a near death sentence since there are all of maybe 2 roles in the game that self-target. I'd rather be effectively a vanilla KGB than being outed by the tracker/watcher, as I believe that any one PR for a KGB is a good trade.

Of course, I made the wrong bet in this specific instance, but imagine if you were the tracker/watcher and hobo was cop. It would've been better to stay out, wouldn't it? Far, far better.

I don't think I could've predicted a cop who claimed cop day 1 in the hidden chat. It's just so brazen you're the only one I can think of who'd attempt it. I mind-gamed myself into thinking the cop would stay out to investigate a greater pool of players (who will more likely have KGB), and thus I also stayed out.

I admit not sending someone in D1 was bad for us, but if I did I wouldn't have sent myself, I stand by that. Knowing that there is one Cop and at least one Tracker/Watcher puts a lot of constraints on what I can safely do.

EDIT: Oh right, the Doctor was killed Day 1 so I would have to claim Backup Doctor to feasibly self target (I had planned for this)...

Then the Backup Doctor died on N2. What do????

Claim Lightning Rod, obviously.

Haly

Claim Lightning Rod, obviously.

I wish I was as creative as you. Although I don't think Lightning Rod will give the same results as a self-targeting Tailor but it could work if I had balls of steel.

Palmer_v1

I wish I was as creative as you. Although I don't think Lightning Rod will give the same results as a self-targeting Tailor but it could work if I had balls of steel.

I actually would have to look up tailor. I'm not familiar with that one.

edit: Someone make my avatar background transparent.

Droplet

7vGgoPa.png

Burbeting

Banned
Read mafia thread, was kind of weird to see me sohigh in the nk-lists, even though I really didn't do anything much during my stay other than basically out Darryl in my stupidity.

Haly

Palmer please stop taking my jerbs.

Don't make me vote for Trump.

El Topo

I have to say in hindsight it seems like the deck was stacked rather heavily against mafia. Either way, great job by town. Congratulations.

2. How about balance? Did the roles have appropriate counter-roles? Too many power roles? Roles seemed good. I liked the Lighting Rod. Balance was good, I think. It's hard to say because, no offense intended, the Mafia team did not play well at all, and the town power roles were mostly on point. El Topo was pretty hosed with a LR and Doc existing. He probably needed a little more help with his role.

Eh, role was fine. If I miss once I basically become an Ordinary Drone. In other words, I don't lose just because I miss. I disagree on the balance though. I fear mafia was at quite a disadvantage and I fear the mission mechanic made it even worse for them. Obviously they played rather unfortunate as well.

cabot

I have to say in hindsight it seems like the deck was stacked rather heavily against mafia. Either way, great job by town. Congratulations.

Eh, role was fine. If I miss once I basically become an Ordinary Drone. In other words, I don't lose just because I miss.

at least we had that section where we all role claimed something. It was archer gafia summed up.,

Lots of amusing jokes and silliness in amongst a pretty intense bout of drama.

roytheone

*wakes up from the morgue*

Uuuuugh, man, my back hurts, wait, what is this thing sticking out of my back?

*removes cartoon arrow from back*

Well, that's weird. Anyway, what did I miss while I was dead? Wait, we killed all the KGB? Good job!

FREE FISTER ROBOTO SESSIONS FOR EVERYBODY!
(Lube will still cost extra.)

So yeah, we won guys! Great! Now I can finally share with you who killed me. Are you sitting? Because this will blow your mind:

EL TOPO KILLED ME.

Yes, I know, literally nobody of you was expecting that, but it is true!

So, my first ever Mafia game has ended, and even though it was VERY short for me, I still had a lot of fun for those two ingame days. Watching from the death thread was also very fun, and a great opportunity to learn some strategies/tactics from a distance. Hopefully I can take what I have learned from that into season 4 games (and partly NX, but man that game is pure insanity) and NOT be completely inconsequential for the game the next time! ;) Well, the whole El topo/me situation did eventually lead to you guys catching QB, so I guess I was not completely useless! jay!!

Also, if anybody wants to know who my targets were as the doctor:

N1: Burbeting
N2: Cabbeh

Both of them were pretty much at the top of my town list, and I thought they both provided very good reads and insights. So I wanted to keep them in the game for as long as possible, and was going to protect them as long as there wasn't a better target available like an outed PR. In hindsight my switch from Burb to Cabbeh during N2 was a mistake, but hey, that stuff happens.

Owh, I would have loved to be still alive and counter claim you, creating a 1 VS 1 of who is the most trusted by town. Would have been awesome!

Anyway, what matters in the end is this:

WE (INCLUDING ME) WON! AND EL TOPO LOST! HAHAHAHAH EAT IT EL TOPO!

I am going to end with this gif that I would have obviously used if I was forced to role claim, but sadly I didn't get the chance:

rDw6KEN.gif

roytheone

KILL: roytheone

Better safe than sorry. Oh, what the heck, I have another arrow left. Might as well.

KILL: roytheone

nmazqc.gif

Also, I just realized that if you and me ever get in another game together, the mafia will probably immediately night target one of us, because it will be ridiculously easy to implicate the one of us that still lives for the kill :)

nmazqc.gif

Also, I just realized that if you and me ever get in another game together, the mafia will probably immediately night target one of us, because it will be ridiculously easy to implicate the one of us that still lives for the kill :)

omg the meta set up already taking place!!! XD
totes would do this if was mafia >:D

El Topo

Eh, I don't know. There's more than enough players ahead of you on my list. Only killed you this game because Palmer claimed I had forgotten about you.

cabot

We should definitely collate all the reasons El Topo gives for killing people and keep them handy.

This can only be useful to us long term

Gorlak

Banned
It was a short ride for me, but I enjoyed it :) I only lived 2 nights and 1 day, which was part of the whole kgb breakdown. It was really strange to come in and be the bad guy, while figuring out how everyone is playing. The jump on the mission chat was my fault and maybe I could have lived more days, but the cop clearing every townie was a bad situation. Aside from my start position, we lost because:
1. Mafia chat being slow, I think analysing everything and following every player is the key. Somewhere I noticed YNNNY having suspicions of Mike on Day 2, but we didn't connect this with her vote on him (D3 or 4) and never gave much thought in the second roleblocker thing. Only haly had a lot of posts and the rest of us crawled at the bottom of the post count looking suspicious.
2. Mission mechanics were an integral part of the town win. And we didn't use it until it was too late.
3. My role was substituted constantly, so there was no way to build up a clear town looking character. This also added into 1. And I didn't know how I could look innocent with knowing so much.
4. Ourobs little blooper at the beginning reduced the potential mafia pool from day1 by 2 people. Shit happens, but that way it was easier for town and both of them did not have to go on the missions to prove anything (I know Arkos did N1). Shame on you, Ourob :p

---
1. What did you think about the mission mechanic? Did it work well? What would you change?
It was okay, but shifted the whole balance towards town. And I didn't like the whole "first in time, first in line" mechanic, but that was more because nobody was suspicious of the same people going again and again.. which I really could not understand.

2. How about balance? Did the roles have appropriate counter-roles? Too many power roles?
The town roleblocker was too much, without the whole game would have been different. Darryl dead on Day3 -> Gorlak lives -> Mike lives -> who knows what could have happened. And the game played out this way even though BOTH doctors and the analyst were killed early on. So yeah too much town Power Roles in my opinion. It was unfortunate that one neutral had a difficult winning condition and lost interest after Ezekel's claim.

3. How was the fluff/flavor?
4. How was the "cosplay"-themed game (i.e. named characters rather than things like "The Doctor")?
I really liked it and I think we all were really shitty spies like we were supposed to be. After Robin Hood everybody was open to believe every role claim. Don't get me wrong, Page 24 is probably the funniest part of the whole game with those fake archer role claims, but plausibility was gone from that moment. 3rd Doctor, two Pams, squidyj cop, squidyj 3 shot lightning rod everything was possible :)

All in all, it was very funny and enjoyable! Big thanks to Ourobolus and furthermore to the other Gamemods, my KGB Team and all of the players!

cabot

It was okay, but shifted the whole balance towards town. And I didn't like the whole "first in time, first in line" mechanic, but that was more because nobody was suspicious of the same people going again and again. which I really could not understand.
!

I mean that's not true really, I (and others) was suspicious of Mazre until the very end even though he'd been cleared.

The others I wasn't particularly suspicious of minus Ezekel who sometimes acted a bit strangely.

Ourobolus

Banned
4. Ourobs little blooper at the beginning reduced the potential mafia pool from day1 by 2 people. Shit happens, but that way it was easier for town and both of them did not have to go on the missions to prove anything (I know Arkos did N1). Shame on you, Ourob :p

;_;

Just a thought on how to better balance missions: What if each player in the mission had a small chance to die (would be indistinguishable from Mafia Kills on the mission)? That adds a risk when going out and also doesn't completely give away that a scum was on the mission.

Burbeting

Banned
Just a thought on how to better balance missions: What if each player in the mission had a small chance to die (would be indistinguishable from Mafia Kills on the mission)? That adds a risk when going out and also doesn't completely give away that a scum was on the mission.

You mean you might die on a mission based on RNG?

Palmer_v1

I think a poisoner would have had potential to sow chaos on missions without being an easy button. More skills like Burbeting that let you gather info from a mission could have been good too.

Maybe if the mission as a whole was targetable by night actions except for the Mafia Kill. Like Haly could have framed everyone on it. A Watcher could see if anyone targeted.
Tracker could see if anyone took an action. Role blocker blocks entire mission at once.

El Topo

I think the mission mechanic was quite restricting for (non-town) roles, without actually making things more complicated for town, as no win condition or ability (other than Ray) was involved with it. It didn't help that it was first come first serve, which I fear may have put some players at a disadvantage. Of course it's easy to say this in hindsight.

Also still pissed you guys lynched me. You guys killed Robin Hood. Robin Hood! That's like killing Santa.

Zubz

Banned
I can't believe we pulled it off! I'll have to catch up on everything when I get a good hour or so to dedicate to this thread. It's been a blast, honestly; I look forward to bantering with all of you about which ones of us to murder again soon!

I think the mission mechanic was quite restricting for (non-town) roles, without actually making things more complicated for town, as no win condition or ability (other than Ray) was involved with it. It didn't help that it was first come first serve, which I fear may have put some players at a disadvantage. Of course it's easy to say this in hindsight.

Also still pissed you guys lynched me. You guys killed Robin Hood. Robin Hood! That's like killing Santa.

D'aw. I wouldn't've killed you, Topo!

Top Bottom