• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer [Mafia] |OT| Wait, I Had Something For This

Enker

It's best held for end game, if possible, or if you have another way of being absolutely certain about someone, i.e. darryl had found a scum and told you on a mission to railroad them.

Yeah, I learned a heck of a lot about how to really play Mafia this game. Next time out should be interesting.

squidyj

.... its hard to explain but it's intuition-ish :< he sort of feel as if he's intentionally trying to be a borderline active player. i was the very first one that picked on him, i think... and i booed at him for a post where he began with some sort of weak-ass apology, ... which he didn't reply to. which i found scummy. i never let the feeling go after that.

no one backed me up though :< so i just quietly making faces at him on my own.

i blocked haly n1, and since i had no other info at that time i thought n1 no-death was partially part of my doing ... then ER came out as Sterling and I was confused etc, then I moved on to my next pick, Seath, but by N3 I had this super strong gut feeling that Mike was scummy.

Glad he turned out to be the KGB ninja :D

Thanks for crits!! I learned so much from SW. I was super put off by changing
/flipflopping my votes in there, lol iSucked ^____^;;;;;; ahhh, all part of learning how to be a better GAFia player, i guess :>

gut reads are best reads.

Ourobolus

Banned
lol, this is why I jumped on the mission so fast. No fucking way will people let me live after that star wars upset!

I'm curious if I would have gotten targeted more if I hadn't done that for 3 nights straight.

My Mafia Kill list:

Sorian(YOU FUCKING KNOW WHY)
Squidyj
Darryl
YesNo
What's this list?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I felt better after fake claiming cop :3
Reading that section you still thought I was the cop after I recanted?

Yep. Why wouldn't I?

"Oh I'm a cop, JK, no need to kill me."

That's how it looked from my end.

squidyj

Yep. Why wouldn't I?

"Oh I'm a cop, JK, no need to kill me."

That's how it looked from my end.

I suppose that's reasonable, I guess I'm more surprised that mafia believed me in the first place, good thing when I fucked up my check list I pulled QB instead of burbeting.

Haly

I take the credit for that one. It was a bizarre move but the math works out for you. One mafia is worth one cop, regardless of how strong cop might potentially be. So I thought it was plausible that you investigated me since:

1) You never liked me :mad:
2) I never targeted myself
3) I was already very depressed by then and I just latched onto the worst case scenario of having you as my opposite in terms of roles

Next time I get Mafia I'm just going to ignore the thread and play my own game like Darryl did. The best way affect lack of information is to be literally uninformed.
why would you lynch me first though? I'm potentially cop! Haly is potentially a random townie.

Cop is a super scummy claim I don't know why it slid. Cop, Doctor. These two are the claims you never trust because it's just too convenient as a defensive claim and too reckless as an offensive claim. I've learned, from my reading and watching these games that cops never actually claim cop and never should, until they have a mountain of information to corner scum. Franconp was a special case because we were all over that shit day 1 and would have been if he didn't defend himself somehow. He played it like a star, but games won't always work out like this.

GAFia is crazy though. It plays by its own rules.

squidyj

I take the credit for that one. It was a bizarre move but the math works out for you. One mafia is worth one cop, regardless of how strong cop might potentially be. So I thought it was plausible that you investigated me since:

1) You never liked me :mad:
2) I never targeted myself
3) I was already very depressed by then and I just latched onto the worst case scenario of having you as my opposite in terms of roles

I always liked you Haly, even when I thought of you as scum.

Palmer_v1

So in regards to Squidjy's fake claim, I went along with it because I thought if there was a chance that Darryl had been lying at all, this was a perfect chance for an actual Cop OR Lana kane to counter claim. When nobody did, it made me feel a lot better about Darryl. For squidyj, I trusted him because he claimed Brett in the mission chat, which just screamed that he needed to die at night to trigger some pro-town ability, and the way he was playing certainly supported the idea that he wanted KGB to target him that night.

I figured town could afford to let it play out.

why would you lynch me first though? I'm potentially cop! Haly is potentially a random townie.

Well, several of us could have lynched you knowing it was a fake claim. If we hadn't backed you up to some degree, you were toast =p

Haly

Well I hate you squidy.

bf18f1654a7febfcc17036437f3690c8.gif

Right, so I underestimated the mission chat. I didn't think you could organize yourselves to any meaningful degree like with the AC gossips but the fact that all the most active pro-town players were on it day-in day-out changed the calculus. I thought the missions would be a lightning rod (teehee), and they would've been, had this game involved different players.

By the time I realized it, it was too late. I could not insist to get myself onto that mission with Mazre camping it out, Ezekel claiming Archer, and others. Plus, I didn't want to play the camping game. That's the part of the mechanic that I hated the most. Not that I couldn't have camped it out (I was present during most of the days the game opened and held back out of paranoia), but like if all of Mafia was EU/Asia GAF they'd be even more fucked than they already were.

but i legit thought squidy was cop though >____>;;;;;;

cuz of that post thingy (cyril thingy) ( i mean how else would he know that i was cyril) so i was ready to follow him to the gates of hell if needs be, no matter what ridic role claim he was taking on....

plus haly was on my scumlist

so

Palmer_v1

lol, I was halfway down scanning Haly's posts when he claimed whatever he did. At that point, I hadn't read anything particularly pro-town nor anti-town. I was very wrong.

squidyj

So in regards to Squidjy's fake claim, I went along with it because I thought if there was a chance that Darryl had been lying at all, this was a perfect chance for an actual Cop OR Lana kane to counter claim. When nobody did, it made me feel a lot better about Darryl. For squidyj, I trusted him because he claimed Brett in the mission chat, which just screamed that he needed to die at night to trigger some pro-town ability, and the way he was playing certainly supported the idea that he wanted KGB to target him that night.

I figured town could afford to let it play out.

Well, several of us could have lynched you knowing it was a fake claim. If we hadn't backed you up to some degree, you were toast =p

I sort of trusted you guys to see what I did in mission chat, with giving you my role and with the darryl business we talked about, and let things play out a bit before reeling me in. I had a gut feeling that you guys wouldn't fuck me on it.

My goal was
1. to elucidate a counterclaim from a non-darryl entity.
2. to put pressure on haly
3. to go out in a blaze of glory the next night

Haly

You were putting the real Cop at risk. That was CRAZY. It's such a scummy movie in hindsight.

squidyj

You were putting the real Cop at risk. That was CRAZY. It's such a scummy movie in hindsight.

If the real cop was not darryl then it would have moved that person to a space of prominence and we would have had to figure out how to protect them, but I think it was better than letting a scum darryl run around telling mission people he's lana kane with green checks.

It was a gamble but it had as much as a 2 for 1 payoff if the counterclaim waited until near the end.

Haly

I'm in a strange position where I can no longer N1 kill you, squidy, because people can just deduce that it was my massive amounts of sodium that got you killed.
If the real cop was not darryl then it would have moved that person to a space of prominence and we would have had to figure out how to protect them, but I think it was better than letting a scum darryl run around telling mission people he's lana kane with green checks.

Yeah that makes sense. Way to live up to your role.

Palmer_v1

I'm in a strange position where I can no longer N1 kill you, squidy, because people can just deduce that it was my massive amounts of sodium that got you killed.

He literally suffocated under a gigantic pile of salt. What a strange murder!

Edit: And yeah, a lot of people thought we were scummy for that, but from our perspective, Darryl hadn't yet done anything to make us trust him entirely either.

Haly

There's some corgi fur on the salt pile as well. Who could it be???

squidyj

I'm archiving this post for when you n1 me to buck expectations. Mind games have already begun.

cabot

I'd like a dead thread PM.

I'm practically amazed septimus made it to the end. I was really , really gunning for him

Haly

Yeah, learning.

Hold up, I'm on cooldown from sending PMs.

I accidentally gave Kristoffer "tilda swinton".

cabot

1. What did you think about the mission mechanic? Did it work well? What would you change?
2. How about balance? Did the roles have appropriate counter-roles? Too many power roles?
3. How was the fluff/flavor?
4. How was the "cosplay"-themed game (i.e. named characters rather than things like "The Doctor")?
5. Any other feedback?

1. Hard to say when I never used it ! It seemed like a great tool when used properly. Darryl definitely got the mileage out of it. I definitely think there should have been a kgb cross mission/hq ability though. Limiting its use would have kept it acceptable . I was going through the game believing that to be a thing.

2. I don't quite share halys concerns as strongly, but I definitely think Gorlak / Ramos / awesome should've hat s power role of some kind considering we had a large amount on town.

3. Fluff was mostly excellent, but I still haven't forgiven you for Robin Hood. Fuck.

4. OK I misread this in the setup thread because I was sure that having non generic roles was going to be ignored this season. I was naturally a little confused when the first lynch revealed a named power role. Aside from this confusion I liked it.

TheG wins my award for that arrow claim, so delightful.

Also I'm not obsessed with Yeeny how dare you all ahem

Burbeting

Banned
Congrratz town! It was fun to see your amazing turnaround from behind the scenes, even if it did contain nost ridiculous claim from Squid and ynny crazy roleblocking skills :D.

I have to admit I was kind of annoyed that I got offed so early in the game, especially since I had gained info about darryl-cop in night 1 that I could have used to town's advantage without outing him as the cop :D. But oh well, I at least had fun with roy in the dead chat! And I was the only one who khb killed succesfully (Darryl resulted in Gorliaks death), so I guess that's something..?

I think the balance was bit skewed towards isis, I guess if mafia had more cross-power roles, the missions impact would have been lessened. Otherwise I think it was okay.

squidyj

So.... I think it's hard to determine whether a given setup is town favored or scum favored from a single play. That said, from this single play I can determine that this game was town favored although I think weak play on the part of scum seriously exacerbated the situation as well.

A lot of RNG went down too, the zeke attack, the el topo block

I like to think my read on Haly and Yeeny's read on mike weren't really RNG though, we had reasons to believe what we did.

Darryl

Banned
If Haly had gotten onto the missions, my cop gambit would have backfired TREMENDOUSLY. I mean he could have not only fucked my reads, but he could have derailed the game by 2 day phases if he misled me into chasing town. There were a lot of opportunities for us to fuck ourselves this game. I was certainly paranoid up until the very end.

I liked the fluff. It was a fun game.

Burbeting

Banned
Oh yeah, Squid. Apparently I was night-killed because of you, so I guess I would need to be angry at you too.. Kidding, of course :Dm but that was weird.

Top Bottom