• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland |OT| Shin Rorona Tensei

Thanks, Yasumi! Sharing a few others:
YoIWRLy.png

I love how in that ending they showed that Totori had been de-aged to 14 by having her go back to her old dress because aside from the outfit change she looks exactly the same at age 24 as she did at age 13.

I'm kind of interested in getting this, but I haven't played an Atelier game in ages. The only thing that makes me leery is the time limit. How exactly does it work? I tend to get nervous about time limits in games, but I didn't find it to be an issue at all when I played Lightning Returns.
This series is so, so, so so so so forgiving in regards to time limits. It's set up in such a way that it takes literal and deliberate effort to fail. There's a very general goal for each time span (every 3 months in Rorona, I think?) that's almost dummy-proof. The actual "meat" of the game is a combination of time out in the field harvesting/battling and staying in town completing tons of small-but-optional secondary objectives. Cutscenes of different varieties fill in the gaps. To be fair, of the 5 titles thusfar on the PS3 Rorona was the most "challenging" (though I use the term very loosely) and the games have gotten even easier since.

There's also the matter of multiple endings and if I recall Rorona is a little more strict in unlocking them all, but you get a "normal" or "good" ending by just completing the main storyline.

Difficulty is also low. Typical JRPG grinding isn't really necessary. Creating specific items with special properties is actually far more challenging and the character development is far more entertaining. The Atelier series is about as casual and easy-going bunch of games you'll find these days that aren't on Nintendo hardware.
I love how in that ending they showed that Totori had been de-aged to 14 by having her go back to her old dress because aside from the outfit change she looks exactly the same at age 24 as she did at age 13.
How DARE you question Astrid's Master Plan!

What's the difference between the $40 version of the game and the $50 version that are on PSN? The cheaper one is labeled PS3 and Vita, but is that just the DLC and the base game is Vita?

Shizuka

What's the difference between the $40 version of the game and the $50 version that are on PSN? The cheaper one is labeled PS3 and Vita, but is that just the DLC and the base game is Vita?

$40 is Vita and $50 is PS3. Don't be fooled by misinformation on the Store, you can check the PS Store Update on the PSBlog to check that.

$40 is Vita and $50 is PS3. Don't be fooled by misinformation on the Store, you can check the PS Store Update on the PSBlog to check that.

I was buying it through the website and it's really misleading to put that in the PS3 games category. I was trying to figure out why the cheaper version had more DLC.

Shengar

Alchemists are known for their things with youth and immortality.
That Astrid is in her 40s, I said damn,

I'm still deciding which version to get, I kinda want it on Vita just because I already have Totori and Meruru there. I hope we get Ayesha + soon enough, I haven't played that one.

btw, older Rorona is a goddess. I still hate that they made her a loli in Meruru. 30 year old Rorona sounds hot as fuck.

There, bought the Vita version and the PS3 version is arriving Thursday.

I'll er start it someday. Gotta finish this plat for Neptunia mk2 here first >_>

Shizuka

Rorona didn't detect my Totori saves, probably because they were from a different region, what did I miss out on?

Like I said, just costumes. I didn't start the game yet so I don't know how the costumes look like, but it's just two costumes from T+ and two from M+.

Uthred

Rorona didn't detect my Totori saves, probably because they were from a different region, what did I miss out on?

PS3

Atelier Rorona Save = Sailor Frill (Bikini)
Atelier Totori Save = White Brim
Atelier Meruru Save = Lovely Sunglasses & Stripe heaven
Atelier Ayesha Save = Flowery Hairband
Atelier Escha & Logy Save = Fluffy Hat

Vita

Atelier Totori+ Save = ?
Atelier Meruru+ Save = Wild Summer (Bikini) & rabbit ear headband

Vylash

PS3

Atelier Rorona Save = Sailor Frill
Atelier Totori Save = White Brim
Atelier Meruru Save = Lovely Sunglasses
Atelier Ayesha Save = Flowery Hairband
Atelier Escha & Logy Save = Fluffy Hat

Vita

Atelier Totori+ Save = ?
Atelier Meruru+ Save = ?

Meruru+ Save = Wild Summer

fek

Oh man, the store page for this game is confusing as hell, I'm sure there will be people buying it thinking it's crossbuy.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
FINALLY home, can finally start downloading the Vita edition.

... and I gotta wait for the PS3 update to finish... fuuuuuuuuuu-

RurouniZel

Bah, the GS code I got for the PS3 costume downloads says it's already been used. Who should I yell at?

Rarutos

Updated the OP with game sizes and NA store pages. I can't access EU pages so someone will have to link them to me. 8<

Yasumi

Banned
Wow, I don't remember getting this powerful this quickly in any Atelier. Those equipment bonuses. Rorona with a 42 damage regular whack at level 6.

curious about the vita one. totori had native res with is a yay, but the framerate was all of the place, and the ui was super tiny for the screen because they didnt' bother changing it i bet.

RurouniZel

curious about the vita one. totori had native res with is a yay, but the framerate was all of the place, and the ui was super tiny for the screen because they didnt' bother changing it i bet.

I just started the Vita version and watched the intro after just watching the PS3 version. Vita isn't as smooth as PS3, it jitters a bit when the camera pulls back. The regular shots have the same frame rate.

Kensuke

Found a review of the Vita version. It seems there are some issues.

The one big problem with the remake is with the PlayStation Vita port. As with the other Atelier titles on the Vita, Rorona sometimes suffers from some severe frame rate drop or excessive loading times. It is a step up from Meruru's problems but still very noticeable. It can occasionally make the game finicky about detecting Rorona's pre-combat swing animation, causing you to lose a chance at a first strike.

Not sure which version I should pick up now.

Zephyx

Found a review of the Vita version. It seems there are some issues.

Not sure which version I should pick up now.

I actually found Meruru+'s issues tolerable (I'm still playing it right now) so if Rorona+ offers a somehow better experience than that, I'll welcome it with open arms.

I re-downloaded Totori/Meruru and pulled down my cloud saves, and importing the data into Rorona still isn't working. All games are from the same region (NA.) Any ideas?

Shizuka

If it wasn't for the fact that the Plus games are DD-only in the West, I'd suggest the Plus games any time of the day for everybody.

Got a few long train journeys coming up so I think I'll pull the trigger on one of these. Which one is best to pick up first? Totori+, Meruru+ or Rorona+?

Got a few long train journeys coming up so I think I'll pull the trigger on one of these. Which one is best to pick up first? Totori+, Meruru+ or Rorona+?

Not Meruru. Generally I'd recommend starting with Totori, but I haven't played enough Rorona+ yet to see if the changes make it a better starting point now.

Top Bottom