• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori Plus (Vita) |OT| Stealthily Adventuring onto PSN

cjkeats

I played about 2-3 hours of Meruru a few weeks ago and it's the only Atelier game I've ever played. I liked it, but the whole time I was thinking "I'd rather be playing this on a portable". I can't wait until I get the time and cash to load this on my Vita. Hope Meruru comes too, because I liked her as a protagonist.

Do you think a Rorona remake would be released for the Vita or for another platform? Would it make sense to use it as a test case for a PS4 engine?

I doubt it'll be on PS4, If anything it'll be on PS3 or Vita using the Totori and Meruru systems.

I guess they need to wait for dev kits to drop in price. The PS3 is going to be dead soon so then they're better off making PSV games for a couple years.

Durante

I think Gust benefited greatly this gen from releasing some of the first quality niche titles on PS3. I wouldn't rule out a repeat performance on PS4.

That was what I was thinking at first, but Rorona wasn't released until mid 2009. That's two and half years into the PS3's life cycle and if they're aiming for yearly releases they need to release something before that.

Durante

Oh wow, you're right. Goes to show how anemic the first 2 years of PS3 software really were that I remember Rorona as one of the first highlights of its kind on the system.

So I guess there's time for a Dusk trilogy on PS3 before moving on!

There's a bikini for Totori? I don't know, that's just kinda... yeah...

Anyway, I really like these games but the fact that the characters don't age kinda bothers me, specially in a game that puts so much emphasis on the passage of time.
Totori is 14 (I think?) at the start of the game so when the game is over she's 19 since 5 years pass, yet she looks exactly the same. Same could be said for other characters but in Totori's case it's really apparent since she's a child at the start of the game and an adult at the end.

Durante

I think the lack of physical aging is simply a matter of budget. Atelier character models are extremely high quality for what the game is (seriously, compare them to other niche titles, or even higher budgeted ones such as Tales games), so making multiple ones per character to implement aging is probably not feasible.

I think the lack of physical aging is simply a matter of budget. Atelier character models are extremely high quality for what the game is (seriously, compare them to other niche titles, or even higher budgeted ones such as Tales games), so making multiple ones per character to implement aging is probably not feasible.

Yeah, that's what I think, just saying it's a bit jarring to me when I play these games.

Well I was looking forward to this, but digital only means no buy - I'm not filling up most of my stupidly expensive memory card just on a single game. First EDF was digital only, then Ragnarok, now Totori - if this is the future of niche Japanese game releases, count me out.

Eusis

Probably the only thing reasonably doable is to have model proportions change over time and two sets of portraits: first half, and second half. It'd be kind of funny if the very worst in regards to fanservice-type crap was around when she's supposed to be 18 anyway though.

Incidentally, it's probably why starting with a 17 or 18 year old works better, you'd more likely still look like you did at 17 at 20, possibly even all the way to around 30, but not so much 14 to 20 or even 17.

Basch

lol, did this game come out of nowhere or something? I heard nothing about even an announcement of the vita version until it appeared on the store the other day.

For some reason, I feel all excited like I should buy it. Not for sure if that's a good thing though. : \

Eusis

Well, I AM assuming so since they look like in-game captures, and that copyright data usually comes by default.

antibolo

Banned
True fact: Tecmo Koei's American branch is staffed by ninjas.

Efficient, hard workers, but they constantly forget that while being stealthy is useful for killing people, it is much less of an asset when working in PR and marketing.

Efficient, hard workers, but they constantly forget that while being stealthy is useful for killing people, it is much less of an asset when working in PR and marketing.
Maybe, to be even more crazy, they will release a physical-only version of the demo.

New video game release trends incoming...

(P.S. I really wish there was a demo so I could see what this game was about! Looks fun)

Saroyan

Well, just caved and bought it. It put me over $100 spent this month so I'll get $20 back, and I was going to get this eventually anyway. I wish we had the option to buy a physical copy, but I'm glad we got the game at all.

So K-T has the last remaining ninjas.

Link doesn't work for me (it redirects to a NA PSN broken link), but I assume it works for EU folks? I added it to the OP!

Yeah, it didn't work for me, but the EU's branch retweeted it, so I trust in them!

I was referring to post #318.

PAL region is actually several different stores although most of the content is shared. The price is generally the same for all of Europe except UK. Australia usually get the same content at a different price.

antibolo

Banned
Funny thing, I bought the PS3 version about 8 months ago but never actually tried it. In the meantime I noticed it had a Vita port in Japan so I figured I should wait for a NA release announcement, as I much prefer playing JRPGs on a handheld.

Then this morning before going to work I check PSN on my Vita in a hurry to get the new TNG table for Pinball Arcade and... WHAAAAAAT??? TOTORI WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE???

So I guess I should try it now, and if I enjoy it I'll sell it and get the Vita port.

Koroviev

Funny thing, I bought the PS3 version about 8 months ago but never actually tried it. In the meantime I noticed it had a Vita port in Japan so I figured I should wait for a NA release announcement, as I much prefer playing JRPGs on a handheld.

Then this morning before going to work I check PSN on my Vita in a hurry to get the new TNG table for Pinball Arcade and... WHAAAAAAT??? TOTORI WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE???

So I guess I should try it now, and if I enjoy it I'll sell it and get the Vita port.

If it's unopened, I would flip it on the BST thread and get the Vita version.

Syrinx

Is there a way to check out how much space you have on your Vita memory card? It's only 4 GB, but the only games I have on it are Persona 4, TitS, and Growlanser IV (though I haven't gotten around to playing the last one at all, I should), so I'm really not sure if I have enough space for this game.

Is there a way to check out how much space you have on your Vita memory card? It's only 4 GB, but the only games I have on it are Persona 4, TitS, and Growlanser IV (though I haven't gotten around to playing the last one at all, I should), so I'm really not sure if I have enough space for this game.

Settings -> System -> System Information

Eusis

Both P4G and Totori are 3GB games. Only one of those two will fill up your 4GB card to over 80%.
And that's if you took the listed values at face value. In practice, it's probably more like 90%+ will be annihilated. Hell, it may not even fit!

antibolo

Banned
Thanks.

...Not enough space. Oh well. Will download some other time.

And that's if you took the listed values at face value. In practice, it's probably more like 90%+ will be annihilated. Hell, it may not even fit!

Biggest digital game I have is BlazBlue which is 3400MB. I bought it on Vita pre-launch day for my bundled 4GB card, and it fit but there was only about 200MB left.

Needless to say I bought a 32GB card the next day (and it's full now).

Eusis

Needless to say I bought a 32GB card the next day (and it's full now).
Yeah, that's part of why I didn't want to spend $100 on that; it simply wasn't going to last when some games took over a tenth of that space, if I had just the Vita games I owned (not TOO many) in digital form along with the Plus titles I'd probably be nearly out of space anyway or at least uncomfortably full. Give me a 64 or 128 GB and yeah, that may be worth $100.

OmegaZero

So just started playing this. The IQ is amazing.
All games need to be native res with AA now.

The game oozes charm, from the music to the character models. The story so far is pretty lighthearted and the characters are likable (if a little stale). Everything seems polished outside of the framerate. The visuals especially left a great first impression

The only thing I dislike so far is the DLC outfits. I'd prefer to dress up my 14 year old protagonist in something less revealing. >_>
But they're optional so it's not something that's ruining my experience or anything.

Also, Totori seems to really like barrels.

Koroviev

So just started playing this. The IQ is amazing.
All games need to be native res with AA now.

The game oozes charm, from the music to the character models. The story so far is pretty lighthearted and the characters are likable (if a little stale). Everything seems polished outside of the framerate. The visuals especially left a great first impression

The only thing I dislike so far is the DLC outfits. I'd prefer to dress up my 14 year old protagonist in something less revealing. >_>
But they're optional so it's not something that's ruining my experience or anything.

Also, Totori seems to really like barrels.

What's wrong with the framerate?

Gamespawn

lol, did this game come out of nowhere or something? I heard nothing about even an announcement of the vita version until it appeared on the store the other day.

For some reason, I feel all excited like I should buy it. Not for sure if that's a good thing though. :
TK are geniuses I tells ya. They released a niche RPG:
1) with absolutely NO marketing
2) during a decent PSN sale (50=>10)

This stunt has hit every major gamersite giving the game more exposure than it probably would have if it had the usual marketing. Instead, we have a situation where people that probably wouldn't give the game a chance normally, buying it from all the free marketing.

This game wasn't even on my radar, in all honesty. Because of the above factors I impulse bought it as I hear others have. I've read reviews of the other games and jumped in.

Edit: not factual or anything but, if you check PSN, it has outsold DOA5+ by 2x with word of mouth...

vall03

Its seems they just posted through the Atelier Facebook page a few hours ago, that the game is 'upcoming' to PSN. I have no words for Tecmo Koei...

Its seems they just posted through the Atelier Facebook page a few hours ago, that the game is 'upcoming' to PSN. I have no words for Tecmo Koei...

LOL!!! RPGFan laid into them pretty hard.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2013/1187.html

Unfortunately, none of these things happened. Instead, a game mysteriously appeared on the digital shelves of the Vita with no supporting marketing at all — not even the kind of marketing that can be produced on a shoestring budget. Let me be blunt: if I know about RPGs or adventure games that are being published by studios whose staffs consist of three people or less, who have day jobs, and who are sending their emails to a press list they culled themselves over the course of a week, and I don't know about yours... you have done something horribly wrong.

Sorry briefly scoured the ps3 and some pages before, but I bought this on a whim and was just wondering 2 things.

Is there a new game plus?

And if so do you carry over synthesized items?

Bonus question, what is the length round abouts?

Sorry briefly scoured the ps3 and some pages before, but I bought this on a whim and was just wondering 2 things.

Is there a new game plus?

And if so do you carry over synthesized items?

Bonus question, what is the length round abouts?

There is a new game plus.

Your money and all your character's currently equipped items at the end of the file get carried over.

Top Bottom