• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori Plus (Vita) |OT| Stealthily Adventuring onto PSN

omlet

Sorry briefly scoured the ps3 and some pages before, but I bought this on a whim and was just wondering 2 things.

Is there a new game plus?

And if so do you carry over synthesized items?

Bonus question, what is the length round abouts?

Assuming this port didn't change anything...

New game plus? Yes. Carry over items? Equipped items transfer over. I don't remember if money does. In Meruru it's equipment only. In Rorona, NG+ you carry over your money but not items.

Length of Totori depends on how much of the game you play, honestly. If you skip a lot of character events and end up with normal end, maybe 30 hours, maybe?

If you do a lot of alchemy, watch all the character events and don't mash X through them, get the various endings and optional fights, etc., you are talking 40+ hours easy. You can get through the game much quicker if you skip events but that really defeats the purpose of the game.

Xiul

TK are geniuses I tells ya. They released a niche RPG:
1) with absolutely NO marketing
2) during a decent PSN sale (50=>10)

This stunt has hit every major gamersite giving the game more exposure than it probably would have if it had the usual marketing. Instead, we have a situation where people that probably wouldn't give the game a chance normally, buying it from all the free marketing.

This game wasn't even on my radar, in all honesty. Because of the above factors I impulse bought it as I hear others have. I've read reviews of the other games and jumped in.

Edit: not factual or anything but, if you check PSN, it has outsold DOA5+ by 2x with word of mouth...

They got me at least, I usually don't buy games day one, but this was so random and that we are still in the 10$ back promotion, push me to do it.

Assuming this port didn't change anything...

New game plus? Yes. Carry over items? Equipped items transfer over. I don't remember if money does. In Meruru it's equipment only. In Rorona, NG+ you carry over your money but not items.

Length of Totori depends on how much of the game you play, honestly. If you skip a lot of character events and end up with normal end, maybe 30 hours, maybe?

If you do a lot of alchemy, watch all the character events and don't mash X through them, get the various endings and optional fights, etc., you are talking 40+ hours easy. You can get through the game much quicker if you skip events but that really defeats the purpose of the game.

Neat thank you and the poster on the last page, I know those questions are probably dumb lol.

So you will have to regather all materials after a game except equipped items/equipment?

Is that frustrating from the sounds of the crafting system it could be hard to give 2 unique ones up, or am I missing how the game works? First atelier experience.

Neat thank you and the poster on the last page, I know those questions are probably dumb lol.

So you will have to regather all materials after a game except equipped items/equipment?

Is that frustrating from the sounds of the crafting system it could be hard to give 2 unique ones up, or am I missing how the game works? First atelier experience.

There isn't any (I believe) unique items as everything is harvestable from the fields or from monster drops.

Also, once you carry money over you can easily buy some of the items that you need to craft stuff instead of spending time harvesting them.

omlet

You mean like 2 unique pieces of equipment? Nah. There are pretty clear-cut tiers of equipment with some "BIS" traits to go for. I've played Rorona like almost 4 times, Totori twice, and Meruru 3 times and never once did I really wish I had an alternate set. You craft all your own gear, anyway, there are no "unique" pieces of equipment except in the sense that you can put different traits on something to make it better for something than for other things (for example, you can craft the best armor in the game with general-purpose HP and defense stats, or you could put fire resistance on it for a specific boss battle or something)

For unique ingredients, it can kind of be frustrating to find good ones, but generally once you learn how the game works it's always easy to find the items and traits you need to synth something with a little digging around in your item container in your atelier. "Rare" material types in these games are only rare in the sense of being limited in quantity you can obtain, as in they are usually boss drops or something like that. What make good materials good is a combination of item/cost level, traits, and recipe versatility. Item levels and traits are all randomized but withing parametrized ranges, but the robustness of the alchemy system means you have several ways to make most recipes to get the results you want. So, again, there aren't really any unique items, just some more rare or more troublesome to get than others

The game essentially is a gathering and crafting game... so yeah that's why you don't carry over all that stuff. You will have to regather all materials on a NG+ because... that *is* the game.

Hot dang, this came outta nowhere! I've been busy playing Monster Hunter. I don't have a Vita either. :(

I'll buy (re-buy) this game when I get a Vita. I can probably finally conquer that stupid spring cup ma-jig while out at lunch or something and FINALLY get the true ending. With Totori, I now have three games on Vita I'm interested in that's available right now, and two or three more to be released later.

cjkeats

I think Gamespawn had the right idea and this was all their plan all along to get free marketing.
More people are talking about it now than if the would've released a trailer or press release.
...Or you know, they just messed it up. Conspiracy theories are more fun.

There's no reason they can't market it now, I'd rather have the game sooner than wait a month after a trailer or announcement or something.

Verelios

I had no idea this was even coming out in NA. The last I heard was Australia was getting Totori Plus (which was a huge 'what' for me) so I would have to import it.

I didn't have any problem with that, got my money ready and BAM! In my face, it's Totori! I'm wondering what the hell is wrong with Tec's lazy advertising...either way I'm picking it up. I have Totori for PS3 (LE) but I've never played it, let alone opened it because I still haven't beaten Rorona.

Come to think of it, I'd like a Rorona Plus for Vita! Ah...I need to stop buying these Arland games...

raven777

there were apparently problems with frame drops and freezing with Japanese version. How is the US version? Anybody experienced this?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Game looks really nice on the Vita screen.

Love the music, and Totori's very cute. Looking forward to finishing the game on the Vita (only played a little bit on the PS3).

syoaran

Never bought into the series so I'm interested in picking this up later on in the year. Too many good portable games in the last four weeks makes this a tough sell though

Moonlight

Banned
Haha, this is the first that I've heard of a Vita version, let alone a localization.

Never got around to playing the PS3 version, but what the hell. I'll bite.

Paskil

My impression so far is that this stealth release was the best thing they could have done. The west, as always, is very hungry for JRPGs. This being niche though (and on Vita), it would have likely had minimal sales. I'm sure it wasn't their intention to do so, but I think the stealth release resulted in more media coverage, press, and word-of-mouth than this game would have gotten otherwise. It's difficult to say though. Vita owners as a whole seem to have a pretty high software attach rate.

Would love to see recent software tie-in numbers for Vita VS 3DS/PS3 etc.

Ryuukan

My impression so far is that this stealth release was the best thing they could have done. The west, as always, is very hungry for JRPGs. This being niche though (and on Vita), it would have likely had minimal sales. I'm sure it wasn't their intention to do so, but I think the stealth release resulted in more media coverage, press, and word-of-mouth than this game would have gotten otherwise. It's difficult to say though. Vita owners as a whole seem to have a pretty high software attach rate.

Would love to see recent software tie-in numbers for Vita VS 3DS/PS3 etc.

These games need accessible releases, thats all

ok I have the game, got the third character, and need 100,000 credits to be an adventurer.

What do I do now?

Don't worry about that, just keep playing. *wink wink*

Also, you're still playing a part of what the game considers to be a tutorial. The game really starts after the opening anime sequence plays during the main game.

Edit: Hope all you new comers enjoy the game. Totori is probably my favorite of all the Atelier games. :)

OmegaZero

Holy shit at the BGM Change Mode. Sooooo many choices.

EDIT: Some of these battle themes are pretty badass. Not at all what I was expecting. o.o

FSLink

Banned
Its seems they just posted through the Atelier Facebook page a few hours ago, that the game is 'upcoming' to PSN. I have no words for Tecmo Koei...

So isn't it possible that PSN just uploaded the game early? It wouldn't be the first time they've done this (see: DLC items for PSN EU for Skullgirls)

OceanBlue

Holy shit at the BGM Change Mode. Sooooo many choices.

EDIT: Some of these battle themes are pretty badass. Not at all what I was expecting. o.o
There are definitely a lot of awesome older Gust songs. I went through one playthrough with the boss theme changed to Nefertiti from Mana Khemia. It was great.

That's not Terminus =P
I meant out of the Atelier themes! (I like Atelier Rorona more than Terminus anyway :D).

Joe Molotov

Fired this game up, and OMG it looks so good on the Veetor. ^_^

I played it a bit on the PS3, but I never beat it. I'm probably more likely to beat it on a handheld though, since it's easier to just pick up and play.

I got a question.

I never played Totori yet (started Rorona but need to get back into playing it) and was wondering which version I should buy.

I would really like a hardcopy of Totori+ (vita), so I'm thinking of waiting for any announcements on that while I play Rorona.
Also, I found a really good priced Totori LE new on ebay that I'm considering. Once there's an announcement confirming a hardcopy for Totori+ I will definitely buy, but until then, I feel like the ps3 version may suffice my experience. So, I want to know of any differences between the two versions:

I've read the OP and I know Totori+ has all the dlc's and new features, but do you think the game is still fun/playable on the ps3? The bgm change sounds awesome too but would it spoil my experience with how the original would be played?
Are there any other differences besides those? Are there touch screen/pad interaction? Balance changes with the battle system or ingredients?

I do enjoy playing on handheld since it's convenient but the amount of space I have on my 4gb memory is pretty much taken up. With the prices of these vita memory cards I can't really afford another one w bigger space (especially if I'm going to buy Totori) so the ps3 version may not be a bad alternative. I just need help in deciding which version I should get.

Any advise/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Only complaint with this game is that it could have really really benefited from touchscreen support for menu/HUD elements/story segments. After playing Zero Escape it honestly felt like a step backward to not be able to access some of that information via touch(optionally). That's admittedly a metric ton of extra work, but I hope that this is taken into consideration the next time they do a Vita port.

anddo0

The beginning of this game is super slow.

How long do I have to keep repeating the same missions?

edit: makes sense now.

Rarutos

I got a question.

I never played Totori yet (started Rorona but need to get back into playing it) and was wondering which version I should buy.

I would really like a hardcopy of Totori+ (vita), so I'm thinking of waiting for any announcements on that while I play Rorona.
Also, I found a really good priced Totori LE new on ebay that I'm considering. Once there's an announcement confirming a hardcopy for Totori+ I will definitely buy, but until then, I feel like the ps3 version may suffice my experience. So, I want to know of any differences between the two versions:

I've read the OP and I know Totori+ has all the dlc's and new features, but do you think the game is still fun/playable on the ps3? The bgm change sounds awesome too but would it spoil my experience with how the original would be played?
Are there any other differences besides those? Are there touch screen/pad interaction? Balance changes with the battle system or ingredients?

I do enjoy playing on handheld since it's convenient but the amount of space I have on my 4gb memory is pretty much taken up. With the prices of these vita memory cards I can't really afford another one w bigger space (especially if I'm going to buy Totori) so the ps3 version may not be a bad alternative. I just need help in deciding which version I should get.

Any advise/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

It's perfectly still playable on the PS3, I wouldn't worry too much about the differences. Sadly, I don't know the specific gameplay balances or anything because I don't think Gust ever listed it, and if they did no one ever really pointed it out or anything/translated it... I can read some Japanese but not really enough to look things up like that. :(

K.Sabot

Cool, gonna go ahead and shove this thing into my Vita then.

Sigh... gonna have to start looking up deals on PS Vita memory cards. This thing is almost full.

Bazza

Picked this up on Saturday, haven't been able to put it down. Quite an enjoyable game, it looks good as well although there is some slowdown when certain things are going on but its more of a minor stutter rather than complete slowdown.

alexein

I'll pick it up before the 16th but not gonna playing it.
I got Rorona, totori and meruru on ps3 to finish , i got all dlc on ps3 for totori guess i'll dont use the dlc characters on ps3 and wait to play with them on vita.
and i'll get meruru plus.
Too much backlog

This game is addictive, I stayed up to 3am yesterday playing. My only complaint is the repetitive music, it's very loopy too. I've an unopened Rorona copy on PS3, I'll play that after this while I wait for Meruru+

crinale

This game is addictive, I stayed up to 3am yesterday playing. My only complaint is the repetitive music, it's very loopy too. I've an unopened Rorona copy on PS3, I'll play that after this while I wait for Meruru+

Meruru+ is out in Japan and people are saying it runs even better than Totori :)

A.E Suggs

TK are geniuses I tells ya. They released a niche RPG:
1) with absolutely NO marketing
2) during a decent PSN sale (50=>10)

This stunt has hit every major gamersite giving the game more exposure than it probably would have if it had the usual marketing. Instead, we have a situation where people that probably wouldn't give the game a chance normally, buying it from all the free marketing.

This game wasn't even on my radar, in all honesty. Because of the above factors I impulse bought it as I hear others have. I've read reviews of the other games and jumped in.

Edit: not factual or anything but, if you check PSN, it has outsold DOA5+ by 2x with word of mouth...
I never looked at it that way for this game but you seem to be right. The world of mouth by the stealth release did them wonders it seems.

I don't know if TK should be mad that one of their newly aquired games sold more than their flagship game even on a bad selling system.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Broke down and bought because I needed around $40 to get another free $10 from the promo. I'll just buy it again if there somehow becomes a physical copy, doubt it though. Anyways is there a limit to how many saves you can have? I remember having around 18 saves on the PS3 version to make sure I was able to get all the endings on my second play through >_>

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone who has never played the series but is interested, how does the crafting and time progression system work? As a bit of a completion the time moving forward per quest? thing has me a bit put off.

Finding decent info about this game outside of a walkthrough has been hard.

Kazzy

As someone who has never played the series but is interested, how does the crafting and time progression system work? As a bit of a completion the time moving forward per quest? thing has me a bit put off.

Finding decent info about this game outside of a walkthrough has been hard.

I was in the same situation, but there is nothing that really conveys how this game plays. Your main actions (battling, gathering resources, traveling, etc), all take up time, but this is something that you commit to, so it doesn't take place in real-time. In that regard, the time management is like Persona, it moves forward when you decide on your action. This all varies though, so for example, alchemy will always take a minimum of a day, but certain materials will either take longer to produce (or even shorter), but you're always putting forward a certain commitment. There are things that can take around a quarter of your overall day, but keep in mind that the day is already "spent", so you want to make use of it and produce the maximum amount of items possible, which in this case would be 4.

The way time passes is always relative to your actions, so the alchemy example doesn't apply out in the field, where you have a bar of 10 units (denoting an entire day). To give a rough guide:

Gathering (4 units)
Fighting (1.5 units)
Fleeing (1 units)

Once you leave the area, a day will have always passed. So again, you really want to maximize your potential, and use as much of those units before you leave, without carrying over into another day (which happens automatically, whenever you deplete an entire bar). So if I was to gather materials twice, I'd still have a small portion of my day left, at least enough to enter into a battle.

Explaining it like this makes it sound completely obtuse, and in some respects, it is. Fortunately, the game is generous for the first month, where you can pretty much idle and see how these systems work in context. My fear was simply burning through huge chunks of time without really knowing how everything works. My suggestion would be to make a save as soon as you are able to navigate the world map, and pretty much just experiment. I only started playing yesterday, and I picked it up pretty quickly.

There are some main narrative-beats, though from what I've played (almost through the first year), you are given a faraway goal and pretty much left to your own devices. I've occasionally referred to a guide, so not to run up against barriers unexpectedly.

Hopefully, this is at least a little enlightening!

suikodan

Wow, I totally didn't expect this game to come out especially with the lack of awareness.

I saw a random newsfeed post that got me interested. I never played any game of the series but I want JRPGs like this on my VITA so hopefully it'll be a 40$ well invested.

Now Sony give me a 64/128Gb memory card.

Cornbread78

Wow, I totally didn't expect this game to come out especially with the lack of awareness.

I saw a random newsfeed post that got me interested. I never played any game of the series but I want JRPGs like this on my VITA so hopefully it'll be a 40$ well invested.

Now Sony give me a 64/128Gb memory card.

Between Totori and Disgaea 3, I had to delete some stuff this week. Felt bad, man. :(

I can't wait to download the game and give it a whirl. I'd love even more full jrpgs on VITA. I mean, I've already logged almost 200 hours into P4 Golden and I'm really looking forward to this one as well. It's just a matter of what games I have to delete now to fit the 3GB d/l on my 16GB card. Give us a bigger and cheaper card already Sony, WTF?!

Afrit

Impulse buy here! I never played Rorona. So far I'm having fun. Hardly, I can't put it down. but the sleep mode on portables is really helpful.

Top Bottom